News on the upcoming Rifts Board Game

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

What do you think of the idea of a Rifts miniatures Board Game?

Cool! I can't wait for the kickstarter!
24%
I'll pick it up it when it comes out at my FLGS.
9%
I will give it a try.
12%
I'll pass.
55%

Total votes: 67

Carmen
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

News on the upcoming Rifts Board Game

Unread post by Carmen »

Hi Everyone
This little bit of news is to let you all in on the new upcoming Rifts Board Game.
I purchased the IP rights from Palladium Books and the board game will be published by my little company Rogue Heroes.
Kevin has shown off a few pieces of the card art in the Weekly Updates, but I thought it was time to show off one of the 3-D miniature sculpts for the game for you all to see.
So here is "Carl" the Grackle Tooth the first of the minis I will show off before the kickstarter.
Enjoy, because I'm not going to be posting too many of them before the kickstarter campaign begins. :D
Thanks and have a great time gaming with Palladium!

Edit: Hey everyone, since I have the Facebook page up now I am moving all the vids, pics and conversation over to it.
Here is the link https://www.facebook.com/RogueHeroesPublishing/
Last edited by Carmen on Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Re: News on the upcoming Rifts Board Game

Unread post by Glistam »

I'm looking forward to a Rifts board game! I plan to support the Kickstarter.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I plan to support the Kick Starter and buy it.
I'm still a fan of Palladium Books and the game looks like it could be fun.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Thanks but no thanks.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
palladiumjunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by palladiumjunkie »

I love the idea, but I just don't know if I feel comfortable enough pledging to a Kickstarter for it. That may change once the Kickstarter is in full swing, but for now I'll just wait to see if it makes it into stores.

If it does hit the stores, though, I'll definitely be picking it up.

-Chris
"Quality takes time. Poop comes out multiple times a year." -MrNexx

"Choosing to house-rule in order to customize the game to your liking can be a beautiful thing.
But being forced to house-rule in order to make the game playable at all is not." - Killer Cyborg
BuzzardB
Explorer

Unread post by BuzzardB »

The idea of this is really cool and something I have certainly wanted. Well I want the miniatures at least, we will see about the game itself.

I wasn't burned by RTT and was very content with the Savage Rifts Kickstarter so I am not sure, is the Kickstarter for this board game going to be entirely handled by you and your company?
Semi-Retired Gamer
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Semi-Retired Gamer »

I'm interested and looking forward to seeing the end results...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I blog (mainly) about role-playing interests at The Semi-Retired Gamer.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Just a reminder. Those wishing to discuss Robotech RPG Tabletop Tactics and its Kickstarter have an entire separate section of the forums to do so in. Please use that instead of sidetracking other threads.

Questions or concerns about forum administration practices should be discussed in the Megaverse phpBB Bugs/Wish List forum or directed to NMI, head board admin.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Carmen

Unread post by Carmen »

BuzzardB (and everyone else) the game is being produced and the kickstarter will be run solely by Rogue Heroes. I think I acquired the license for Rifts miniatures and board games about 3 years ago, way back before the Savage World deal was made. That is why Savage Worlds was not allowed to produce Rifts miniatures.

I know the ongoing problems with RTT but my Rifts board game has nothing to do with that. I am producing the game completely out of my own pocket and have already paid for all but the final few digital sculpts myself, along with artwork and most of the remaining details for the project, all but the manufacturing which will be of such a magnitude to do this game right, that I will have to do a kickstarter to finance the finished game. If the kickstarter fails, only I will be burned by it. Sure Palladium wants to see a successful kickstarter since that should lead to higher Rifts sales as well as the royalty they get on my game, but in the end if it fails it won't hurt Palladium at all, I'm the one who crashes and burns. So I really want to succeed!

As far as someone deleting posts on the Palladium boards (to everyone), I know nothing about it, I am not an admin, and I want constructive feedback, because I want to make a great game and I don't want to make any of the mistakes made on the RTT kickstarter. I need this to be successful, because it's my families money supporting this dream of mine. I will also talk to Kev about the deletions, as long as the criticism is constructive and restricted to the Rifts: Board Game (yet to be titled) I think feedback can only be good. I'm told only offensive posts and things off topic will get deleted. Please don't just shout at me about the RTT as I have nothing to do with it other than helping with some rules design. That's Palladium. Not me. Kevin and I are friends, which is why he is talking up and helping to hype my Rifts game, just like he did for the Savage Worlds kickstarter, but I have no control over RRT. But I am sure they are moving forward on it (I personally still have faith in it and PB). So comment all you want about the Rifts board game and let's get a discussion going on building a great Rifts board game.
Thanks. Carmen :D
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

I will not be backing this project.

I can only assume Carmen knows why, but if he'd like to discuss the matter in depth, I would be happy to do so over private messages.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

After seeing how Palladium's been treating their investors in the RTT project I'm refusing to give them, or anyone doing business with them, any money until Palladium gets Wave 2 into production.

Jefffar wrote:Just a reminder. Those wishing to discuss Robotech RPG Tabletop Tactics and its Kickstarter have an entire separate section of the forums to do so in. Please use that instead of sidetracking other threads.

Questions or concerns about forum administration practices should be discussed in the Megaverse phpBB Bugs/Wish List forum or directed to NMI, head board admin.

It's not derailing if you're explaining why you won't back this project.

I'm also getting real sick of the mod changing my posts or outright deleting them when I've violated no rules here.

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Last edited by The Beast on Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

1st call it a minis game if it is going to be a minis game.

RTT is a minis game. so if it is going to be based off the RTT then don't call it a board game.
D&D Lords of Waterdeep is a board game.
Risk is a board game.
Settlers of Catan is a board game.

parden the bluntness a long day @ con. with but 4 hrs sleep the night before.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Panomas II
Explorer

Unread post by Panomas II »

Without knowing what sort of board game... I'll pick it up it when it comes out at my FLGS (or when I know the project is completed and available for retail), it's the only way to be sure. That's my vote. If I support it through Kickstarter its not 98% I'll receive what I pay for.

Best of luck Carmen- :angel:

Just out of curiosity what will be your funding minimum?
And I'm certain many would be interested in the sort of tiers you are considering?
rosco60559
Explorer

Unread post by rosco60559 »

attempt number three.

i voted no

due to past crowdfunding issues i will not be supporting this.

good luck carmen.
Carmen

Unread post by Carmen »

Hi drewkitty.
Let me clear it up the game for you and everyone, it is a board game - its a "dudes on a map" type game like Imperial Assault, Decent, Level 7 Omega Protocol, etc.
The Rifts: Board Game is NOT going to be based-off of or have anything to do with RTT, I don't have the rights to RTT that's all Palladium, I CANNOT use anything from RTT.
The game uses a map and miniatures and definitely a "board" although like the other games I mentioned this is a grid-based "map board" like the other games I mentioned.
I want it to be a self-contained game that you can sit down and play with your friends or if you want you can pull the minis out and use them in your Rifts RPG.
So yes it will be a board game, although it will not be a euro-game like Waterdeep or Catan, both of which I quite enjoy.
Thanks Carmen :D
martand
D-Bee

Unread post by martand »

Like allot of other folks, I will not be supporting the kickstarter due to Palladium's crowd funding history. While there are plenty of claims that Carmen's company is actually handling this KS, I have more than a few doubts that it is not just a shell company (i.e. Archon vs. Prodoss) in order to allow Palladium back into the kickstarter environment. However, if the game looks good, I will certainly consider picking it up at retail (unless the KS is filled with KSE items in which case I will skip it entirely)
Carmen

Unread post by Carmen »

Hi Forar and The Beast (this is in reply to the related post News on the upcoming Rifts Board Game Moderation Discussion)

I asked Kevin to mention it in the newsletter because if I don't drum up interest before the kickstarter, the kickstarter will surely fail and I can't afford that. I don't have a big advertising budget for this kickstarter. I cannot send out to tons of copies to youtube reviewers or post ads on gaming websites, so I need every bit of exposure I can get and asking Kevin to put it in the newsletter costs me nothing financially.

It got its own subforum because I asked for it. I really do want feedback and with its own subforum it is easier for people to give that feedback and it gives me a place to post vids and pics of the game. As far as why other topics don't get a subforum, I don't know why either. I am a friend of Kevin and Palladium but I'm not in on why they do everything they do.

I know I am going to get negative blow back on me because of Palladium's handling of the RTT so I want people to have time to see that I want to do my kickstarter differently. So there is no need to start other threads to bring up problems with the idea of a Rifts: Board Game, although I would ask you to be at least positive with your criticism. I will try to respond to it all if I can.

I also agree with The Beast that why you will not back is valid, but just bringing up the RTT continually is kind of pointless. I have no control over it and nothing to do with it. Simply put this is MY kickstarter not Palladium's and their failures or successes are not mine and I will have to succeed or fail on my own. Although I am going to sure as hell do my damnedest not to repeat their mistakes!

I have asked for them not to delete posts on that thread, but if they do or not, I have no control over it. But I will continue to ask them not to. The reason I am showing these on the Palladium boards first is to get the backing and responses of Rifts players before I make a Facebook page for the project. Even those of you negative on the idea are worth listening to as I can learn what NOT to do when I run my kickstarter, so as long as everyone is civil in the discussion I see no problems with people stating their objections or their support. Again just do it politely please.

Thanks Carmen :-D
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer
Location: Formerly:Detroit, Michigan (West Side) Now in Dearborn: Which has 98.7% less arson.

Unread post by MurderCityDisciple »

So sad....I once was a rabid fan of anything and everything Palladium related. Not anymore.

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me a couple hundred times...F' NO!!
“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.” - Anton LaVey

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

"The die is cast." - Julius Caesar [Ultimate Powergamer]
FleshharrowerX
D-Bee

Unread post by FleshharrowerX »

When is the Kickstarter campaign starting?
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

I will most likely back this, provided I can find an appropriate gift for my wife in conjunction with this...
Oderint Dum Metuant.
genoside07
Newb

Unread post by genoside07 »

At this time it is hard to tell with only seeing one miniature so far. I feel if you have a good price point and
include some generic miniatures with the Rifts ones, so people could cross gender to other games will benefit you.
Will the game just be miniatures or is there plans to have some type of terrain included?
I am sure you will include Glitter Boys, is there anything you can say without letting the cat out of the bag
about the game?

Also, your poll is kind of lop sided, three positive and one negative. People voting for the positive gets watered down
and makes it look a lot worse than it should be.
LtPebbles
Wanderer
Comment: Robotech® RPG Tactics™ Fan

Unread post by LtPebbles »

I won't back the Kickstarter.

But if the game comes out, and the gameplay, graphic design and mini quality are good, I'll give it a try.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

I wish i had the budget to be able to back this, honestly. if i do when the kickstarter starts up, i certainly will contribute what i can.

i do have a few questions about it. you've mentioned the idea is pre-packaged tactical miniatures game, in the vein of Imperial assualt or that kickstartered ghostbuster one a year or two ago.

what scale were you planning for the miniatures?

would the rules be cross compatible with the RPG, allowing people to play out bigger battles in their campaigns using the miniatures and create their personal characters in the boardgame?

even if there are no rules for adapting your RPG chars, are there rules for creating new chars for the game, that would allow players to expand their games using non-rifts figures (for example, if the game is in 25-32mm scale you have figures from Warhammer and 40K, Infinity, Stargrunt, and a multitude of others you could draw on, fantasy, modern, and scifi. rifts being diverse enough to accommodate all of them. most scales can boast this to varying degrees.)

how are the maps going to be set up? hexgrid? square grids? will they large fixed layout maps or an assortment of smaller tiles you mix and match to build your own layouts?
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Agent_gir
Explorer

Unread post by Agent_gir »

Not gonna chance it. You're in the den of thieves promsing what they promised but telling us it will be different this time. I hope you can see why so many potential backers that have been burned won't back your project or any for this monsters intellectual property.
wilycoyote
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by wilycoyote »

I will be unlikley to back, but luck to you anyway.

However, are you in a position to leak some overviews say of gameplay to see if that can change.

From your earlier comments you seem to say this is a hybrid board/mins game and so for instance is it to be scenario driven or freeform? Are you looking at fixed maps or something more on the lines of Mantic's Deadzone were physical terrain pieces are used.

I wonder if more detail may drum up more interest pre KS, especially if you have a prototype version to show off say on You Tube
Steve Dubya
Hero
Comment: Disingenuous mountebanks and their subliminal chicanery! A pox on them! - Homer Simpson

Unread post by Steve Dubya »

I have some questions that I'll be putting up during the KS, but I figure that asking now will at the very least allow for the relevant information to be acquired if it isn't already available...

1) You've said you, "...purchased the IP rights" - I can only assume that this actually translates to you're paying to license the Rifts IP for the board game. What is the periodicity of the license, meaning when will the license expire/require renewing? While the amount could probably be eventually expressed mathematically once the KS has a goal, I imagine that the existing license was a flat rate - will it be a flat rate to renew, or will it be a percentage of the KS funding/distribution?

2) Will shipping be coordinated out of the Rogue Heroes address, and how will that be arranged?

3) Is the intention of the KS to create a production run to make it into distribution, or solely to fulfill the KS pledges? Assuming the first, what will the break-even numbers for various print runs?

4) What is the pool size of playtesters for the game?

5) How many production samples of the miniatures have been acquired, and has a manufacturer been decided upon?
"Things aren't what they used to be" is the rallying cry of small minds. When men say things used to be better, they invariably mean they were better for them, because they were young, and had all their hopes intact. The world is bound to look a darker place as you slide into the grave.
Best Served Cold, Joe Abercrombie
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. I'll start by addressing my stance personally. I'm unlikely to back this, but haven't ruled it out entirely. My reasoning is thus ...

1: I doubt I'll have the extra income to participate in this Kickstarter. If my finances change, then proceed to number 2.
2: I'm not big on mini games, and I don't recognize any of the games you mention as an example (a good indicator this won't be my type of thing). If this is a simple board game I can pull out and play with friends who have no familiarity with Rifts and complete (realistically) in 30 minutes or even an hour, I might consider it. As examples of games my friends and I do play: Zombiecide (board game), Oregon Trail (card game), Red Dragon Inn (card game), and (once in a blue moon) board games such as Risk. Most of them tend to be relatively easy to learn and play, and then take varying times of play (but the longer standard play is, the less and less likely we are to play it). We often play while waiting for other players to show on game day (group is D&D 3.5, since I'm a player and not a G.M.).

With that out of the way, I will address the actual reason I'm posting here. I'm going to be a bit more critical, and I'll bring up both RTT and Savage Rifts (but these will only be used to address your company and comparisons). As we can see, many people won't support this Kickstarter. RTT has left a bad test in many people's mouths. With that said, many people still participated in the Savage Rifts Kickstarter and, if I recall correctly, it did better than any other Savage Worlds Kickstarter before to the point they had to keep making changes to how they did things to accommodate. But RTT will continue to be an obstacle, and you'll need to work around it. So how do you do that?

You need to establish yourself as an independent company. I know, you've said here how you have a small company, and how Palladium's advertisement is free, and how you wanted to talk to Rifts fans before setting up a Facebook page. I get it, but in my opinion this is a bad move (at least in part). Why? Right now there's a rumor going around that you're nothing but a shell company for Palladium, a way for them to keep officially hands off while this really all still them. I know you're going to say that's not true, but you're not trying to convince me and words don't always mean much. You want proof, and right now you don't seem to have any. Kevin is doing your advertising, your discussing it only on their forums (from what I can tell), and people who search for your company find NOTHING. You're a friend of Palladium and everything we know about your company has basically come from Palladium. Until you can give yourself some distance, you will be effectively viewed AS PALLADIUM.

Let's look at Savage Rifts. Savage Worlds was an established company with a good track record. That helped people to look passed the RTT issues. You don't have that luxury. Sean Patrick Fannon (did I spell and get that name right?) posted on these forums a few times during the collaboration, but in the end he directed people to the Savage Worlds forums for more discussion. That allowed them to direct people to them for questions and answers, and as such helped create further separation. So my advice to you is ...

Stop procrastinating and setup that Facebook page (a Twitter account and/or any other popular expected social media tool that I'm unfamiliar with because I generally dislike social media tools). If you can setup a company webpage and/or forums, that will also help. If you have any previous experiences to show, get that out there! I'm guessing this is your first venture as a company, but try to do your best to give viewers confidence that you have some clue of what you're doing. Let Kevin do his weekly advertisement, sure, but have Kevin direct people to THOSE pages for questions and answers. Using Palladium's forums have already proven a burden to your venture. Posts are being deleted and you're telling them not to, but you have NO control. This isn't your show, it's Palladium's. You need to develop an independence. Kevin is your friend, and that's great. But this is also business. As a business, you need separation. Right now you're just Kevin's friend and you appear attached at the hip. If you want a chance to get passed RTT holding you back, then you need to show you're a different entity and not just Palladium with a different name.

This is my advice, most of it based off of comments I've seen on other social media. I hope some of this helps, and hope to see Rogue Heroes LLC truly stand out in the weeks to come. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Caelen
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Caelen »

Prysus wrote:
... Until you can give yourself some distance, you will be effectively viewed AS PALLADIUM.

Let's look at Savage Rifts. Savage Worlds was an established company with a good track record. That helped people to look passed the RTT issues. You don't have that luxury. Sean Patrick Fannon (did I spell and get that name right?) posted on these forums a few times during the collaboration, but in the end he directed people to the Savage Worlds forums for more discussion. That allowed them to direct people to them for questions and answers, and as such helped create further separation. So my advice to you is ...

Stop procrastinating and setup that Facebook page (a Twitter account and/or any other popular expected social media tool that I'm unfamiliar with because I generally dislike social media tools). If you can setup a company webpage and/or forums, that will also help. If you have any previous experiences to show, get that out there! I'm guessing this is your first venture as a company, but try to do your best to give viewers confidence that you have some clue of what you're doing. Let Kevin do his weekly advertisement, sure, but have Kevin direct people to THOSE pages for questions and answers. Using Palladium's forums have already proven a burden to your venture. Posts are being deleted and you're telling them not to, but you have NO control. This isn't your show, it's Palladium's. You need to develop an independence. Kevin is your friend, and that's great. But this is also business. As a business, you need separation. Right now you're just Kevin's friend and you appear attached at the hip. If you want a chance to get passed RTT holding you back, then you need to show you're a different entity and not just Palladium with a different name.

This - a thousand times this.

With the success of Savage Rifts, the market is primed for updated, quality, affordable miniatures for the setting. I realize you're looking to make a game, but I imagine many of us are looking at possibly supporting the KS primarily for the minis.

That's part of the problem - the track record to date with miniatures Kick Starters using Palladium IP is working against you. Deserved or not, and this is not intended as support of either position, Palladium is about as negative a name as you can get in that niche market. Due to that, the closer you associate your company and game with them, the heavier the anchor you'll be attaching to yourself. Prysus is right - you need to create distance between your company and Palladium. Show that you are, in fact, a separate company and not a shell. Show that you are the primary driver of the project, not Palladium.
Steve Dubya
Hero
Comment: Disingenuous mountebanks and their subliminal chicanery! A pox on them! - Homer Simpson

Unread post by Steve Dubya »

I thought of other questions.

6) Have the various timeline goalposts been identified (e.g. artwork finalized, miniature molds completed, packaging at distribution site)? Will those be shared with backers?

7) How will game errata be addressed? Will the rules for the game be provided to backers prior to being finalized?

8.) Have potentially-friendly reviewers been identified and contacted about review copies of the game? Here I'm talking about game reviewers that have generally favorable views for this style of game, and thus might be best able to speak to its strengths, not necessarily reviewers that will provide solely positive reviews.
"Things aren't what they used to be" is the rallying cry of small minds. When men say things used to be better, they invariably mean they were better for them, because they were young, and had all their hopes intact. The world is bound to look a darker place as you slide into the grave.
Best Served Cold, Joe Abercrombie
Wraithcannon
D-Bee
Comment: Life is like a box of chocolates, it doesn't last long for fat people.

Unread post by Wraithcannon »

I am disgruntled backer of PB's previous crowdfunding effort and I will not participate because after 3 years they have not yet fulfilled their obligations of delivery.

You may claim that this is a separate and individual effort, but I find that hard to believe considering that this conversation is being held on PB's forum rather than a Rogue Hero's website forum.
Whomever said violence isn't a solution obviously wasn't using enough.
Carmen

Unread post by Carmen »

Well hello everyone
Let me try to reply to as many of the new posts as possible. I will copy them all here so I can go through them one by one, if I miss anything just repost it and I will address it later. Of, course I will skip over anything I have already addressed previously, so here goes.

glitterboy2098:
what scale were you planning for the miniatures?
Kevin has been posting them as 28mm but they are actually closer to 32mm and in true scale - so no deformed hands or heads.

would the rules be cross compatible with the RPG, allowing people to play out bigger battles in their campaigns using the miniatures and create their personal characters in the board game?
I am primarily concerned with making a fun, well-oiled board game, but I am open to his if people ask for it during the ks, but it would take a lot of additional resources to accomplish.

even if there are no rules for adapting your RPG chars, are there rules for creating new chars for the game, that would allow players to expand their games using non-rifts figures (for example, if the game is in 25-32mm scale you have figures from Warhammer and 40K, Infinity, Stargrunt, and a multitude of others you could draw on, fantasy, modern, and scifi. rifts being diverse enough to accommodate all of them. most scales can boast this to varying degrees.)
While you could use other minis, the game is card-driven, so simply throwing down other minis will not be that easy. It is designed to allow you to play on a variety of square-grid maps, like those produced by Savage Worlds, Paizo, etc.

how are the maps going to be set up? hexgrid? square grids? will they large fixed layout maps or an assortment of smaller tiles you mix and match to build your own layouts?
The game will use square-grid maps with set-on tiles that represent the objective buildings and scenarios you will encounter in the game, that way you can vary the maps without waiting for me to publish new ones.

wilycoyote:
From your earlier comments you seem to say this is a hybrid board/mins game and so for instance is it to be scenario driven or freeform? Are you looking at fixed maps or something more on the lines of Mantic's Deadzone were physical terrain pieces are used.
The game will be of the standard "dudes on a map" type, but using a grid map (see above), the game will be scenario driven (with campaign scenarios and one-offs), but you will also be able to play one on one skirmishes, like in Imperial Assault or other similar games.

I wonder if more detail may drum up more interest pre KS, especially if you have a prototype version to show off say on You Tube
I definately play on making game play videos for the KS, and might show it off before the KS if there is a demand for it.

Steve President George W. Bush:
1) You've said you, "...purchased the IP rights" - I can only assume that this actually translates to you're paying to license the Rifts IP for the board game. What is the periodicity of the license, meaning when will the license expire/require renewing? While the amount could probably be eventually expressed mathematically once the KS has a goal, I imagine that the existing license was a flat rate - will it be a flat rate to renew, or will it be a percentage of the KS funding/distribution?
Steve, you have it basically correct, but they don't get a percentage of the KS, just their IP royalties and eventual renew fees. I cannot tell you the periodicity of the license as that and the amounts involved are covered by the NDA.

2) Will shipping be coordinated out of the Rogue Heroes address, and how will that be arranged?
I am Canadian, based out of Ontario, so I do not want to ship out of here. I am looking at various third party shipping companies (Ship Naked currently) but that still has to be finalized. Shipping is one of the primary problems many KS have, so it's one of the things I am most concerned about handling correctly.

3) Is the intention of the KS to create a production run to make it into distribution, or solely to fulfill the KS pledges? Assuming the first, what will the break-even numbers for various print runs?
It is pointless to do KS just to fulfill the KS pledges alone. Without post-KS distribution, there is no point in doing a KS at all. A game needs to have a life after the KS is over.

4) What is the pool size of playtesters for the game?
It's been a closed playtester group so far, as I have been working in private to complete the game and get everything needed finished. During the KS I want to put up an open playtest download for the backers to demo the game and provide any feedback they desire. Along with a contest to name the actual game as it's not going to be called just the "Rifts: Board Game." But that is all for during the KS, of course, I will continue to playtest and will bring in an additional group of closed playtesters during this run up to the KS.

5) How many production samples of the miniatures have been acquired, and has a manufacturer been decided upon?
I still have the final few 3-D sculpts to get done, but the game is nearing the finish stages as far as components go, rules are continuing to be worked on. I am in talks with manufacturers now, but that must be complete before I will launch the KS. I want to have nearly everything finished before I go to KS. My best example of how a KS should be run is Cool-Mini-or-Not and they always have all their ducks in a row before they launch their KS. That is the example I want to follow.

6) Have the various timeline goalposts been identified (e.g. artwork finalized, miniature molds completed, packaging at distribution site)? Will those be shared with backers?
I definitely will. I am an active KS backer and my favorite KS are the ones that give me continual updates on the state of the game and its goals for completion.

7) How will game errata be addressed? Will the rules for the game be provided to backers prior to being finalized?
I want to post a beta version of the rules to all backers during the KS and an alpha version to a few select backers even before that. The idea is to address as much errata as possible before the game book is printed and to include an errata page for anything that might be missed, as I dislike it when I am pointed to a website the minute I open a rulebook to correct all the mistakes that should have been caught before publication.

8.) Have potentially-friendly reviewers been identified and contacted about review copies of the game? Here I'm talking about game reviewers that have generally favorable views for this style of game, and thus might be best able to speak to its strengths, not necessarily reviewers that will provide solely positive reviews.
This honestly will be a challenge, not because I don't think its worth doing, but because so much of my available cash as gone into development. But I am hoping that the reviewers I have spoken to will give it a shot using paper stand-ins for the minis. This is one of the hurdles I still have to deal with, but I am sure I will figure something out.

Prysus:
I'm not big on mini games, and I don't recognize any of the games you mention as an example (a good indicator this won't be my type of thing). If this is a simple board game I can pull out and play with friends who have no familiarity with Rifts and complete (realistically) in 30 minutes or even an hour, I might consider it. As examples of games my friends and I do play: Zombiecide (board game), Oregon Trail (card game), Red Dragon Inn (card game), and (once in a blue moon) board games such as Risk. Most of them tend to be relatively easy to learn and play, and then take varying times of play (but the longer standard play is, the less and less likely we are to play it). We often play while waiting for other players to show on game day (group is D&D 3.5, since I'm a player and not a G.M.).
The game is of the same type of "dudes on a map" as Zombiecide, but is driven by a small deck of cards for each of your heroes, with the "Mission Director" having a similar (but larger) deck of cards for the Coalition opponents. Their will be a number of shorter missions, as well as longer campain missions, since I offen fall into the same category as you, quick games before our RPG starts.

With that out of the way, I will address the actual reason I'm posting here. I'm going to be a bit more critical, and I'll bring up both RTT and Savage Rifts (but these will only be used to address your company and comparisons). As we can see, many people won't support this Kickstarter. RTT has left a bad test in many people's mouths. With that said, many people still participated in the Savage Rifts Kickstarter and, if I recall correctly, it did better than any other Savage Worlds Kickstarter before to the point they had to keep making changes to how they did things to accommodate. But RTT will continue to be an obstacle, and you'll need to work around it. So how do you do that?
I agree that it will be an obstacle. There will be a specific group of players that will NEVER back my KS because of it and there is nothing I can do to prevent that, but Rifts is an IP I love and I will still go through with the KS. Indeed I am using Kickstarter, because if it fails to reach its funding goal, no one is charged and no backer is out his money. If it does fund, then I am off to the races and get to make the game I have always wanted to play. The Savage Rifts KS has boosted my belief that I can have a successful KS even with the RTT baggage.

You need to establish yourself as an independent company. I know, you've said here how you have a small company, and how Palladium's advertisement is free, and how you wanted to talk to Rifts fans before setting up a Facebook page. I get it, but in my opinion this is a bad move (at least in part). Why? Right now there's a rumor going around that you're nothing but a shell company for Palladium, a way for them to keep officially hands off while this really all still them. I know you're going to say that's not true, but you're not trying to convince me and words don't always mean much. You want proof, and right now you don't seem to have any. Kevin is doing your advertising, your discussing it only on their forums (from what I can tell), and people who search for your company find NOTHING. You're a friend of Palladium and everything we know about your company has basically come from Palladium. Until you can give yourself some distance, you will be effectively viewed AS PALLADIUM.
Yes being viewed as PALLADIUM or a shill for them is a problem, that is why I am trying to be open and honest about the project to everyone who wants to know about it before the KS begins. I am first posting here for an obvious reason (or at least I thought so), if I first started a Facebook page and put everything up there, none of you would have seen it. I am first posting here for exposure and so that everyone knows what is going on. Next weekend is when I planned on launching the Facebook page, that gives everyone 10 days to know what's up and to head over to the Facebook then. After that goes up I will not be posting here and will move the discussion over there. This was just a necessary painful first step.

As far as finding nothing for ROGUE HEROES that was intentional. I am a one mand band - with assistance - who still works a normal 8 to 4 job and I was trying to keep things under wrap so that I could concentrate on getting everything completed for the game acording to my schedual. I will eventually build my own website, but first I want all the work for the game to be done so I can launch the KS. I also do design work for Upper Deck Entertainment and have deadlines to meet for them, so I carefully budget my time and a website is simply not in the picture - yet!

Stop procrastinating and setup that Facebook page... You need to develop an independence. Kevin is your friend, and that's great. But this is also business. As a business, you need separation. Right now you're just Kevin's friend and you appear attached at the hip. If you want a chance to get passed RTT holding you back, then you need to show you're a different entity and not just Palladium with a different name.
I agree wholeheartedly and the Facebook page will be up on the 5th of Feburary as planned and I hope everyone will come over and discus the game with me there when I do. I am also hoping that responces like this will help everyone see that I do want to run a KS the right way and to build a great game that you can support even if you do not want to be part of the KS itself. I want a game that lives on beyond the term of the KS that gives it life! And that means including everyone.

Caelen:
With the success of Savage Rifts, the market is primed for updated, quality, affordable miniatures for the setting. I realize you're looking to make a game, but I imagine many of us are looking at possibly supporting the KS primarily for the minis.
I know that may of the supporters of the game will be doing so for the minis, as such I am trying to make a design where everything (minis, maps, set on tile pieces, and even the dice) aside from the cards and rulebook should be usable during your RPG sessions, regardless of whether you play the original Rifts or Savage Rifts.

That's part of the problem - the track record to date with miniatures Kick Starters using Palladium IP is working against you. Deserved or not, and this is not intended as support of either position, Palladium is about as negative a name as you can get in that niche market. Due to that, the closer you associate your company and game with them, the heavier the anchor you'll be attaching to yourself. Prysus is right - you need to create distance between your company and Palladium. Show that you are, in fact, a separate company and not a shell. Show that you are the primary driver of the project, not Palladium.
Well there has only been on KS with minis and Palladium IP, the RTT, so at the moment it's one isolated case that was handled poorly and needs Palladium's attention. That being said lots of other companies have had bad first outings on KS, while the RTT is not strictly speaking MY baby, it is a great example of what NOT to do. Although I do believe Palladium with come through in the end (my opinion obviously). All that aside, I definitely intend to show that Rogue Heroes is creating this game, not Palladium. This post is just a first step. But I will not suddenly bad mouth them either just to gain supporters since I don't believe in BS like that and I think you guys don't either. I will however show you guys that I am Rogue Heroes, not Palladium.

Wraithcannon:
I am disgruntled backer of PB's previous crowdfunding effort and I will not participate because after 3 years they have not yet fulfilled their obligations of delivery.
I also backed the RTT, but the Rifts: Board Game is being created by Rogue Heroes, not Palladium Books, and I have nothing to do with the RTT KS campaign. But I understand if you or anyone does not want to back my KS because of fears about it, that is your decision. I although I would say that I backed a Cthulhu Mythos campaign by another company over 4 years ago and have just received my Cthulhu model last week, so I would not give up the ship on the RTT just because they are late on wave 2. That said it's your decision.

You may claim that this is a separate and individual effort, but I find that hard to believe considering that this conversation is being held on PB's forum rather than a Rogue Hero's website forum.
Like I said above, I am here for exposure and your post shows that I am getting the word out. If I when straight to posting the Facebook page, I don't believe you or anyone else would have seen it. So again this is just my first step. The Facebook page goes up on the 5th so please follow me over to it once it goes up.

WOW - that was a lot to respond to. Hope I cleared up as much as possible. I will be back on here briefly tomorrow and will post another pic from the game then.
Again thank you to everyone who has taken the time to post here and I look forward to hearing from you all in the future.

Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

Given what has happened, and is still happening, with prior Palladium-affiliated Kickstarter projects... I'm afraid I can neither support this project nor endorse it to my local game stores.

Best of luck, mate.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
anakeron
D-Bee

Unread post by anakeron »

hello
just a little question ,will the ks have an option for "miniature only" ? i an not a great board game gamer , but i am a avid miniature painter/collector :)
Panomas II
Explorer

"Steve, you have it basically correct, but they don't get a percentage of the KS, just their IP royalties and eventual renew fees. I cannot tell you the periodicity of the license as that and the amounts involved are covered by the NDA."

roy·al·ty
a sum of money paid to a patentee for the use of a patent or to an author or composer for each copy of a book sold or for each public performance of a work.

Palladium will get a percentage of the Kickstarter, if they are receiving royalties on the Kickstarter. That's how royalties function. in other words: Royalties=Percentage. I'm just not seeing how it could be any other way, based on how you've described it.

Edit: and fair or not this view (at best guess) has to do with some of the potential customer/backer hesitancy.

Still, Kudos to you Carmen for the willingness to come in here and at least be willing to brave the fire.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

In my opinion, that fact that Carmen has responded several times, given apologies, and tried to address concerns that have been raised already goes a long way towards showing his separation from Palladium on this project. So far one deadline has been dropped, and I think making that date will be very important - not because it will change anyone's mind if he does make it, but because if he fails to make that date it will only help cement that he hasn't learned from Palladium's mistakes and undo a lot of what he's been trying to say.

I already plan to back this if and when it materializes on Kickstarter, but my level of financial commitment will absolutely be based on how different "Rogue Heroes" mode of operation is from Palladium's.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
wilycoyote
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by wilycoyote »

Carmen, thank you for the informarion about the game
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Panomas II wrote:"Steve, you have it basically correct, but they don't get a percentage of the KS, just their IP royalties and eventual renew fees. I cannot tell you the periodicity of the license as that and the amounts involved are covered by the NDA."

roy·al·ty
a sum of money paid to a patentee for the use of a patent or to an author or composer for each copy of a book sold or for each public performance of a work.

Palladium will get a percentage of the Kickstarter, if they are receiving royalties on the Kickstarter. That's how royalties function. in other words: Royalties=Percentage. I'm just not seeing how it could be any other way, based on how you've described it.

Edit: and fair or not this view (at best guess) has to do with some of the potential customer/backer hesitancy.

Still, Kudos to you Carmen for the willingness to come in here and at least be willing to brave the fire.

they are receiving royalties on the sales of the game not the funds gathered by the kickstarter. the kickstarter rewards would most likely be royalty free, as they are not sales. it would be regular sales later via stores that would determine what the royalty payments are.

remember that kickstarters are investments, not preorders. you are donating money for the creator to develop their product and bring it to market, and in return have a chance to obtain the products before it hits the regular market. that Carmen is spending so much of his own funds to get the game developed before going to kickstarter just shows how dedicated he is to making sure this goes well. he is taking a fairly big financial risk for a small company in devoting those funds to a project that might still fail to obtain enough investment.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
LtPebbles
Wanderer
Comment: Robotech® RPG Tactics™ Fan

Unread post by LtPebbles »

Carmen,
You keep using "dudes on a map", but that doesn't describe the type of games that you use as examples. If you go to BGG and use that phrase, you may confuse some people.

"Dudes on a map" are in the Risk family. High-level, strategic games with lots of dudes. Certainly not 28-32mm minis.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/1681 ... -dudes-map

You are using dungeon/corridor crawlers as examples.
Panomas II
Explorer

Glitterboy, with respect, that is a lot of assumptions. And it just wasn't that clear to me.
I'm not here to assume, but to ask questions of Carmen. And it may be as you say.
I'll ask it another way.

Yes or no: Does Palladium a receive a royalty for each unit of the board game produced by the Kickstarter?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Carmen wrote:Hi drewkitty.
Let me clear it up the game for you and everyone, it is a board game - its a "dudes on a map" type game like Imperial Assault, Decent, Level 7 Omega Protocol, etc.
The Rifts: Board Game is NOT going to be based-off of or have anything to do with RTT, I don't have the rights to RTT that's all Palladium, I CANNOT use anything from RTT.
The game uses a map and miniatures and definitely a "board" although like the other games I mentioned this is a grid-based "map board" like the other games I mentioned.
I want it to be a self-contained game that you can sit down and play with your friends or if you want you can pull the minis out and use them in your Rifts RPG.
So yes it will be a board game, although it will not be a euro-game like Waterdeep or Catan, both of which I quite enjoy.

Thank you.

Mini-games, even ones that stratal the gap with boardgames are not my thing, but I know there are several here and the chats that do like them.
This is just me and each of you should explore what tabletop games you like.

(sorry for my slow response, I was staffing the ALA Tabletop Gaming room this weekend.)
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Carmen

Unread post by Carmen »

Hello everyone
So here I go again, once more into the fire, at least this time the reply post should be a little shorter. Like before I will copy and paste here to make the replying easier.

Seto Kaiba:
Given what has happened, and is still happening, with prior Palladium-affiliated Kickstarter projects... I'm afraid I can neither support this project nor endorse it to my local game stores.
Seto may a state again this is not Palladium's project, just their IP, but like I have said before - no pressure, back or do not as you feel best. And thanks for the well wishes.

anakeron:
just a little question ,will the ks have an option for "miniature only" ? i an not a great board game gamer , but i am a avid miniature painter/collector
No, but let me explain why, from each of the quotes I have to release a miniatures only version of the game will actually make the miniatures only version MORE expensive than the full game. As it was explained to me the printed materials of the game represent such a small portion of the overall cost (except for the box oddly enough) that the cost of producing a second printless version of the game would actually make it more expensive than the actual game. Apparently this is very common as the cost of packaging and handling is quite high and having a completely seperate line of packers for a limited run of mini only boxes is cost prohibitive, but if we hit a few stretch goals to make it happen expansion boxes with just the minis and the cards will become available and then we could make a tier in the KS just for them. I hope that answers it, but I too would like to have a "minis" level if it was cost effective. Of course, it's possible that it might change before we get to the actual KS, since that still a few months away.

Panomas II:
Panomas, of course, Palladium is going to see money out of a successful KS, but their cut comes from me at the end AFTER the costs (production and KS fulfillment) have been met. This is the very HUGE difference between a Royalty and a Percentage of the KS. Afterall without the Rifts IP, I cannot run the KS. I know for some this may seem confusing but it is the only way you can secure any type of IP from a third party. That party always get a piece of the final pie, the thing is they have to wait until the pie is actually baked if you know what I mean. And thanks, for the support, I imagine that MY pie will be overcooked in the fires of this KS before it's all over! :lol:

Glistam:
In my opinion, that fact that Carmen has responded several times, given apologies, and tried to address concerns that have been raised already goes a long way towards showing his separation from Palladium on this project. So far one deadline has been dropped, and I think making that date will be very important - not because it will change anyone's mind if he does make it, but because if he fails to make that date it will only help cement that he hasn't learned from Palladium's mistakes and undo a lot of what he's been trying to say.
The first real "deadline" for me is to move this conversation from here to the Facebook page on the 5th and I hope you will all move with me when I do. Until then lets see how many other get on board one way or the other (plan to support the KS or not). Also, thanks for the support.

wilcoyote:
Thank you for reading it!

glitterboy2098:
they are receiving royalties on the sales of the game not the funds gathered by the kickstarter. the kickstarter rewards would most likely be royalty free, as they are not sales. it would be regular sales later via stores that would determine what the royalty payments are.
remember that kickstarters are investments, not preorders. you are donating money for the creator to develop their product and bring it to market, and in return have a chance to obtain the products before it hits the regular market. that Carmen is spending so much of his own funds to get the game developed before going to kickstarter just shows how dedicated he is to making sure this goes well. he is taking a fairly big financial risk for a small company in devoting those funds to a project that might still fail to obtain enough investment.
You are right in that PB will not be getting X dollars for every game funded by the KS, they will also not be getting X dollars until all costs are first covered, manufacturing, KS fulfillment and shipping, etc. Also note that this includes ME, I will not be getting ANY of the KS funds personally until all costs are met, this means the I will not be repaid by the KS for any of the money I have spent in bringing this project to life until all costs are met. And trust me its costing me a ton, miniature-based board games are among the most expensive types of board games to produce with the added cost of 3-d sculpting, printing and prototyping of those miniatures added to all the normal board game art and development costs. I am also aiming to have ALL of the 3-d miniature sculpts for the game completed and paid for BEFORE I launch the KS (and this includes all the 3-d sculpts for my "expected" KS stretch goal rewards), as I do not want to pass those costs on to the backers. Only new miniatures created due to demand during the KS will not be pre-paid for. So hopefully that clears up things a little bit more and thanks glitterboy2098 for your eloquent words of support.

LtPebbles:
Carmen,
You keep using "dudes on a map", but that doesn't describe the type of games that you use as examples. If you go to BGG and use that phrase, you may confuse some people.
"Dudes on a map" are in the Risk family. High-level, strategic games with lots of dudes. Certainly not 28-32mm minis.
You are using dungeon/corridor crawlers as examples.
Pebbles, I am sorry that is a little of the Canadian/local boy in me. Here (in my local gaming circles) most of us call dungeon/corridor crawlers "dudes on a map" games, since you have well dudes on a map, but by boardgamegeek you are right the Rifts: Board Game is a "dungeon crawler" (well sort of anyway). I should have referenced what the wider NA market calls it, that was sloppy of me. BTW I always call "Risk family" games Risk clones. So please let me apologize for that confusion and thank you for correcting me. Once we move over to the Facebook page I will give a clear breakdown of the game mechanics before the KS begins. And thanks again.

Panomas II:
Yes or no: Does Palladium a receive a royalty for each unit of the board game produced by the Kickstarter?
No - please see response to glitterboy above, so I don't have to write it out here again. Thanks.

n815e:
Carmen, my advice to you is to remember that it is ultimately your company, your finances and your name that are on the hook here. If you fail at this, nobody is going to take the burden of that for you, even your friends.
While the experience of others is nice to draw upon, you should look to ask for advice from those who have actually been successful in their crowdfunding endeavors.
Thanks for the advice and I agree. I also have other friends and contacts in the industry who have ran many successful KS who have given me great advice. I would list them for you but have been specifically asked not to as they do not want to be burned in the RTT fires with me, and I respect them for that. I also am an avid KS backer, I have backed projects under the name Rogue Heroes for years, and backed under my own name before that. So I am aware of the dangers and pitt falls, and I know if I "F" this up I will be screwed running a KS in the future. But thanks for the advice and support.

Well that was a little easier than the first time out. And I promised to post a pic, well a vid actually, so here is the "Victor" the Red combat borg!

Edit: Hey everyone, since I have the Facebook page up now I am moving all the vids, pics and conversation over to it.
Here is the link https://www.facebook.com/RogueHeroesPublishing/
Last edited by Carmen on Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Panomas II
Explorer

@ Carmen you said,
Steve, you have it basically correct, but they don't get a percentage of the KS, just their IP royalties and eventual renew fees. I cannot tell you the periodicity of the license as that and the amounts involved are covered by the NDA.

You said Palladium gets IP royalties. I assumed the since we are specifically addressing the KS (not after) That

Palladium would be receiving IP royalties on each product. As glitterboy pointed out Palladium won’t be receiving royalties of each individual KS product.

Honestly, that surprises me. And I think it would surprise most.

@ Carmen, you said,
Panomas, of course, Palladium is going to see money out of a successful KS, but their cut comes from me at the end AFTER the costs (production and KS fulfillment) have been met.

This one is Semantics:

You say it is a “cut” of a successful KS, I’m saying that the “cut” is a percentage of the KS funding when the final numbers are in. Even if the amount agreed upon is a flat rate it can still be expressed as a percentage. Most agreements of the nature (as you don't know what your final $ would be)-would be weighted as a percentage, so it is weighted as a mutually beneficial agreement. In fact the term cut is likely derived from cutting a pie (I’m guessing) if you cut the pie into half that is 50%, in quarters 25% ect.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

a few examples of what he means by "guys on a board" game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM6gWsDhS38
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMPg2hQeOF0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyGr3nFmOl8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL_ebWO_K3w

basically a cross between a Miniatures game (skirmish level) and a board game (self contained game with maps/boards)

(when i asked about conversion rules, i wasn't aware he was going the character card with upgrade cards route.)

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Carmen

Unread post by Carmen »

I guess this will be a couple of bonus responses, since I was just about to crash for the night.

Panomas II:
You said Palladium gets IP royalties. I assumed the since we are specifically addressing the KS (not after) That Palladium would be receiving IP royalties on each product. As glitterboy pointed out Palladium won’t be receiving royalties of each individual KS product. Honestly, that surprises me. And I think it would surprise most.

Panomas I think I was pretty clear that they would be getting their royalties, as anyone would expect them to, put only after ALL cost of the KS was fulfilled (manufacturing, KS backers, shipping, etc...see my last reply) only then do they get their royalties ("cut" is just slang, don't go reading too much into simple slang). It's not like they are going to let me use the Rifts IP for free. And our deal also includes ALL use of the Rifts IP after the KS concludes, as well as any and all additional copies of the game the KS funds.
This is the same basic setup that EVERY company dealing with IP uses in gaming (and nearly all other entertainment industries). So I can't be much clearer for you without violating my NDA.
To sum up Palladium Books will get their royalties only after ALL costs have been met, that includes ALL KS fulfillment steps (manufacturing, KS rewards, shipping, etc). The how, when, why, terms, amounts, etc are all covered by NDA and simply cannot go into it deeper for you (or anyone else). But I think you should have more than a clear enough picture to make up your mind now.
You need to decide - either I am lying to you - or I am telling you as much as I can - then decided to back or not. No pressure, each potential backer must decide for him/herself.

glitterboy2098:
Those are exactly the examples I mean. And it's not exactly going to character card + upgrades, it's more like you have a "deck" of cards for each hero that represents his life (MDC) and what actions he can take. This was done mostly to distinguish it from other games and to make games quick and easy to play. As well as keeping advancement in the campaign game simple - go up a level and add some cards to your "deck" for next game. Then all you have to do is put an elastic around the cards, or put them in an envelope, etc, and put them away until next time your group sits down to play!

Okay will have to be it for today, I have to get some sleep. Thanks again for the interest everyone and have a good night. :-D
sleeplessknight
Newb

Unread post by sleeplessknight »

Hi Carmen, I love the Rifts setting and I wish you success, but I will not back your kickstarter. Nor would I recommend your kickstarter to others.

Perhaps you could find alternate means of funding. Bank loans? Angel investors? Sell your home or vehicle? Or whatever people did to get money before Kickstarter was a thing.

Good luck!
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

@Carmen: in case you're interested, I found the time to respond to your comments in the Bugs/Wishlist thread.

And should that disappear, I'd be happy to private message you a copy.
mike19k
D-Bee

Unread post by mike19k »

I will pass on anything related to Palladium in anyway tell they fulfill their responsibilities.
Grennum
D-Bee

Unread post by Grennum »

@carmen

Any chance of putting someone on Board Game Geek to talk about this? Maybe just a forum entry/guild until the game is announced? Discussions on Facebook are, less then ideal.

I really can't wait to see more.
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

Carmen - I am interested in hearing about the Board Game. But I am not a Facebook supporter/user/follower/socialmediatechnophobe. So if you can, please keep posting updates here as well.

Besides the more you publicize your game on many different outlets and media, the more likely you will see a return on your investment. :)

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”