Invented Spells

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

taalismn
Priest

Re: Invented Spells

Unread post by taalismn »

some abusive Ludicrous Magic.....

Continuous Slap Attack(Invocation)
#BAP#BAP#BAP#”Pardon me, I just need to get a drink.”#BAP#BAP#BAP#BAP#BAP#BAP#”Okay, I’m back, now where were we? Oh, right.”#BAP#BAP#BAP#
Level: 5
Type: Invocation
Range: Melee
Duration: 2 melees(30 seconds)+1 melee per level of experience
Saving Throw: Standard; the victim can roll once per melee to escape the pummeling.
PPE Cost: 15
Effects:
Used in conjunction with a slap(especially a palm-backhand combo) or punch to the face, this spell causes the victim to continue to react as if they were still being smacked upside the head, complete with sound effects, and back-and-forth head whipsawing, even after their assailant has stepped away. Although not terribly damaging(each subsequent melee of slapping does only 1 SDC/MD depending on what the target is), it -IS- painful and distracting, and while being sledged, loses all initiative, is -10 to strike, parry, and dodge, HALF speed, and is -25% to the performance of any skills.

Quit Hitting Yourself!(Invocation)
“Guess you shouldn’t have worn your brass knuckles today...Oh, those are your RINGS.”
Level: 9
Range: 60 ft +20 ft per level of experience
Duration: 2 melees(30 seconds)+1 melee per level of experience
Saving Throw: Standard
PPE Cost: 50
Effects:
This spell temporarily takes over the target’s nervous system, causing them to use one of their own appendages to hit themselves repeatedly. The malfunctioning limb uses an unmodified roll to strike per each attack(making it possible to miss, AND also score critical damage on a Natural 20), only blunt force(no handheld knives, vibroblades or firearms), no power punches, uses up HALF the victim’s normal APMs, and cannot be dodged(but can be parryed). The victim also loses initiative, and is -3 to strike, dodge and parry other attacks due to the distraction of their own limb apparently turning traitor on them. If the offending limb is restrained, then another free limb will take up the spell(so, for example, if a person punching themselves manages to grab hold of their own fist, then one of their legs will begin kicking them in the shins). If the person knocks himself or herself out, the spell ends.
Last edited by taalismn on Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Illusory Amputation ( Invocation)
Range: Touch or 50 ft per level of experience.
Duration: 15 minutes per level of experience
PPE Cost:15
Effects:
This spell causes the victim to believe that a specific appendage of their body is missing; they cannot see or feel it, regardless of evidence to the contrary, such as clothing draped over and objects being stopped by the ‘missing’ body part, reflections, and bystanders hitting or pinching the appendage. The victim will be stubbornly convinced that a part of them has been removed. While the spell is in effect, the victim will lose any bonuses from that appendage/body part as if it really had been removed(missing arms lose an APM and make two-handed actions impossible, a missing leg cuts mobility, a missing nose cannot smell, missing ears cannot hear, missing genitalia cannot feel/respond, etc.).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Punch-in-the-Box(Ludicrous Magic)(Invocation)
Level: 6
Range: Touch for actually casting the spell, 5 ft range for the spring-loaded punching glove.
Duration: Instant when activated, but can lie dormant for 1 month per level of experience of the caster.
Saving Throw: -3 to Dodge
PPE Cost: 20
Effects:
This is a booby-trap spell that can be cast on a small enclosed space(such as a mail box, tubberware container, package, or letter). When opened, the host-space unleashes a punching glove on a spring, that will punch out the nearest person(presumably the person who opened the host space and triggered the spell). The punching glove does 3d6(SDC or MDC depending on what the person is) and does a critical knock-out on an unmodified 18-20. Immediately after striking a target, the glove and spring evaporate.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Glistam wrote:Have anything like these spells been proposed in this topic already? My G.M. at the time I wrote these didn't allow me to playtest them. I just found the file I wrote these in on my thumb drive and I thought I'd dredge them up and post them to get peer review. These are all Temporal Magic spells.

Spell Stasis: Lesser
Range: Self
Duration: Immediate; The spell in stasis can be held for 1 day per level
Saving Throw: None
P.P.E.: 110
Counts as a Level 11 Temporal Magic spell

Upon completion of this spell, the caster must immediately (within the next 15 seconds) cast a second spell. As soon as the PPE is expended for this second spell, its effect is prevented from occurring and is held in stasis for as long as one day per level of the caster. At any time the caster can end the stasis effect with just a thought (counts as one melee action), causing the spell that was held to have its normal effect as if it were just cast. All the requirements for the held spell to be successful must still be met at this time, or else the spell is wasted to no effect.

Only spells (not rituals) from level 10 and below can be held in this manner. The temporal caster can have one spell held in stasis for every five levels; From level 1-4 the caster can hold only one spell, at levels 5-9 the caster can hold two spells, from level 10-14 the caster can hold three spells, etcetera. Each spell to be held requires a separate casting of Spell Stasis: Lesser.

Spell Stasis: Greater
Range: Self
Duration: Immediate; The stasis effect can last up to one day per level
P.P.E.: 275
Counts as a Level 13 Temporal Magic spell

Similar to Spell Stasis: Lesser, the caster must cast this spell and immediately follow it up with a second spell, which is then kept in stasis. The difference is that this stasis effect can be turned off AND BACK ON AGAIN at will! This is only effective for spells with a duration other than instant. But this allows a caster to keep a spell in stasis until its effect is desired. At that time, the caster removes the spell from stasis (takes one melee action) and lets the effect occur. Any time before the duration of that spell ends, the caster may mentally put it BACK IN STASIS (takes one melee action), effectively “pausing” the spell and preventing it from running out of its duration. This can be done for the duration of the Spell Stasis: Greater spell, or until the duration of the held spell runs out when not in stasis (once that spell duration ends, so too does the Spell Stasis: Greater spell).

Only spells (not rituals) from level 10 and below can be held in this manner. The temporal caster can have only one spell held in stasis in this manner, and it counts as one Spell Stasis: Lesser effect when figuring how many Spell Stasis: Lesser spell effects can be held.

Temporal Prison
Duration: 1D4 minutes (weeks) per level
Range: Encapsulates up to ten cubic feet per level, up to 100 feet away per level
Saving Throw: Special, see description
P.P.E.: 2,200
Considered a Temporal Magic Spell of Legend

This potent spell will encapsulate an area and all inside of it within a powerful temporal barrier, isolating them from the real world for the duration of the spell. The most insidious effect of this spell is that the flow of time is significantly decreased within the area of effect; every minute which passes inside is the equivalent of about an entire week of time in the real world! The caster must focus on the area to be so encapsulated for the entirety of the casting of the spell – if the caster wishes to move the effect to a new area he must stop casting the spell and start over, focusing on the new area.

Temporal beings and temporal spellcasters will automatically sense the flow of time changing within the area as the spell is being cast, and will have ample time to move out of the area before the spell finishes. All others can only sense that something is wrong if they make a save versus magic; if successful, they get a feeling that something bad or strange is about to occur in the area they are within, and may leave it before the spell is finished. Only one save is allowed, and if it is not made they have no warning and no chance to evade once the spell is completed.

Once created the boundary of the time prison cannot be physically crossed. Only magic spells such as mystic portal, dimensional teleport or equivalent will allow passage into or out of the temporal prison. Yes, even those who were caught in the spell’s initial effect may use magic to escape, but remember – they are operating at a much slower speed than the outside world, and as such even a simple action (one melee attack) would take hours of real-world time to complete!

The duration of this spell is only 1D4 minutes per level to those within the temporal prison, but because of this temporal distortion it will last for that many weeks of real time. The caster can end this spell at any time. Those inside the area of effect can be observed from the outside and will be seen almost as statues, moving in very slow motion. To those inside the effect everything on the other side of the boundary is a visible blur of motion that makes seeing anything which isn't part of the unchanging landscape or sitting still for hours at a time nearly impossible to discern.

Time Warp: Temporal Shield
Duration: 1 melee round per level
P.P.E.: 90
Saving Throw: Special, see below
Counts as a level 10 Temporal Magic spell

Upon completion of this spell, a shimmering shield of semi-transparent energy comes into being in front of the caster’s outstretched hand. Anything which comes in contact with this shield will be transported harmlessly into the future! Energy blasts, rail gun bullets, even people – upon contact with the field they are transported one minute (per level) in the future. They will emerge at the same location from where they were, unharmed and unhindered. Bullets will continue flying, energy blasts will continue traveling, people will continue walking/moving, etcetera. The difference is that one minute per level of the caster will have passed, and (if the caster is smart!) the caster is no longer in the same position.

The shield has a diameter of 5 feet and will hover in front of the caster’s open hand (either or, caster’s choice upon completion of the spell). It will always remain oriented to the direction of the caster’s hand, and will turn and move with the caster. There is no saving throw against this effect. However, since it is visible and does not encircle the caster, enemies can try to go around it to reach the caster. When an attacker tries this, if the caster is aware he can roll a parry (with a +4) to interpose the shield again and cause the attack to hit the field.

There is a limit of 100 lbs per level which can be transported to the future in this manner before the shield will fail. Anything which is over this limit does not get transported – instead, the shield disappears and the caster is subject to whatever was coming at him (can try to evade as per normal but now with an additional -4 to the attempt). Ranged attacks have negligible mass, but they too will stress the shield’s capabilities; every 1 M.D. in damage the attack does is treated as 1 lb which is transported. This means a 1D6×10 rail gun blast which hits the shield and does 30 M.D. will be treated as if 30 lbs had been transported, and the remaining capability of the shield is reduced accordingly. If that’s enough to drop the shield then the 30 M.D. would go against the caster (unless he successfully evaded despite the -4 to the attempt).

When I originally submitted Spell Stasis: Lesser and Spell Stasis: Greater to my G.M. at that time, he basically didn't just say no, but HELL NO. So I've always been curious... what are the potential abuses that I'm not seeing with these spells? I'm not looking to change that G.M.'s mind (the game has long since ended), I'm just trying to figure out what might have been so egregious about them.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

you mean, apart from being a talisman (one of the best spells in the game already) that nobody can take away from you and can hold higher level spells?
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Shark_Force wrote:you mean, apart from being a talisman (one of the best spells in the game already) that nobody can take away from you and can hold higher level spells?

Yeah, apart from that.

taalismn
Priest

Lava Cool(Earth/Fire Elemental Magic)(Invocation)
Range: 50 ft per level of experience, and affects a 25 ft cubic area of effect, per level of experience.
Duration: Instant and permanent
Saving Throw: None for regular lava, mystically-conjured lava gets a standard saving throw.
PPE Cost: 20; costs DOUBLE for non-Earth/Fire Warlocks to cast
Effects:
This spell instantly solidifies an area of molten rock into its solid state. It can be used to dam lava flows and temporarily halt River of Lava spells. The solidified lava is immediately cool enough to walk on without special protection(although the bare un-weathered rock may prove sharp and course to walk barefoot on, depending on the lava composition).
Last edited by taalismn on Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

What is the level for the invocation version? L7?

You might want to note if the "cooled" lava can be immediately walked on. And how much footgear protection the person would need.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
taalismn
Priest

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:What is the level for the invocation version? L7?

You might want to note if the "cooled" lava can be immediately walked on. And how much footgear protection the person would need.

It's Level 5, regardless, for both Warlocks and regular mages. It just costs more for mages(it's a matter of cooling, not mystic skill finesse).
I've also added the 'cool enough to walk on' condition, although some forms of quick-cooled lava(like cracked obsidian) may be rather painful to walk on if you're going barefoot.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Athena's Quarter
Level: 10
Range: 20 feet per level.
Duration: 5 minutes per level.
saving throw: vs 16 (fixed)
PPE: 201

The effect of this spell is to make a pause in any fight or battle for long enough for people to talk. The range of the spell is expanded to 100 feet per level if cast on a Leyline, and is expanded to 200 feet per level if cast at a leyline nexus.
--------
*yawns* yah I know a bit sparse in details…but work sapped my imagination quotient for today.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
taalismn
Priest

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Athena's Quarter

The effect of this spell is to make a pause in any fight or battle for long enough for people to talk. The range of the spell is expanded to 100 feet per level if cast on a Leyline, and is expanded to 200 feet per level if cast at a leyline nexus.
--------
*yawns* yah I know a bit sparse in details…but work sapped my imagination quotient for today.

So it's basically a temporary Sanctuary spell?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

taalismn wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Athena's Quarter

--------

So it's basically a temporary Sanctuary spell?

It's a higher powered spell version of the N&SS "Calm Minds" Martial Art Power.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

While similar to both it came out of the idea that Athena is the goddess of wisdom is at the core concept at the center of the spell.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Mystic Lotus
Level: 12
Range: up to 30' away per level, 10 foot radius per level effects area
Duration: half an hour per level
saving throw: non-lethal drugs/toxins
PPE: 412

No one really knows where this spell originated. But some terrans say that it takes it's roots in the fictional place of Oz.
Causing a field of actual lotus or poppy plants native to the region to grow thick within the effect area. These plants perfume the area with a sleep inducing miasma. The spell takes is to multiply the seeds of the plants and germinate them all happening in the first 30 seconds. In the next minute or so, when the plants are growing from seedlings to flowering plants the fauna within the effect area has not long to exit the field before they flower. Even after they flower there is a minute delay till the sleep inducing miasma builds up in the field.
The miasma, while produced by magically grown plants, is not magic itself, and will travel on air currents for quite a ways till it disperses in light breezes. But strong breezes and winds the miasma will only have effects to those that breath within the field itself. The victims of the miasma will fall asleep and stay so till the miasma disperses and at least 1d6x10 minutes. During this time the victims will experience visions. Some, if from psychically receptive races, might see visions disjointed from the present time. While those races, or even individuals, that are closed to the mystic will only remember normal dreams.
The magic sustains the plants no matter what session till the end of the flowering and through to maturity. The miasma is only produced during the time the plants are flowering, 1 hour per level of the casting magic user.
A side effect of this spell is that in the future growing sessions for the flowers there is a 25% chance that another field of dreams will be created.
(note: even chars that don't need to breath but do to speak are also subject to the miasma.)
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Mack wrote:One of the iconic images of magic is that of a wizened wizard carrying his trusty staff, and I’ve always been a bit disappointed that there’s no equivalent in Rifts. While Rifts does have some staffs, none of them are personalized to the wielder. They are generic tools that a mage might swap just as a soldier might swap rifles. So I set out to design one myself. The below creation is deliberately geared toward experienced mages, and is mostly useless to low level characters. Thus carrying and using a staff in and of itself is a symbol of experience, power, and status.

The Mage’s Staff is a ritual originally found to be practiced by several native groups located on the fringes of the Dinosaur Swamp. Early explorers dismissed the ritual’s potential, primarily due to a lack of understanding of how the caster’s own magical power and experience affect the outcome. In recent years, as those explorers have aged and gained mystical proficiency, the Mage’s Staff has become a popular (and sometimes fashionable) tool for senior spell casters.

Spell Level: 7th Level Invocation, Ritual only
PPE Required: 100 to power the ritual. Additional required based on the caster’s preference.
Duration: Instant and permanent (until staff is destroyed)
Range: The caster receives all benefits provided the staff remains within a 10 feet of him.
Note – All abilities/bonuses are determined at the time of the ritual, and do not improve as the caster gains levels.

1) PPE Storage
During the ritual, the caster can elect to impart some of his own internal PPE reserves into the staff, thereby creating a PPE battery similar to a talisman. This process is multiplied by the caster’s Bonus to Spell Strength. A caster with a +2 Bonus can sacrifice 10 of his internal PPE to create 20 PPE worth of storage within the staff. A caster with a +4 Bonus can sacrifice 10 PPE to create 40 points of storage. Caster’s with a bonus lower than 2 will find this function useless. The sacrificed PPE (10 in the above examples) is semi-permanently removed from the mage’s internal PPE reserve. How much PPE the mage sacrifices is up to his own desires (as little or as much as his own internal storage). Should the staff ever be destroyed, the sacrificed PPE will return to the mage at his/her normal recovery rate. (Note, only the caster’s own Bonus to Spell Strength is used. Additional bonuses from outside sources, such as a magic amulet, are ignored.)

2) Health Bonus
By bonding with the staff, mage will automatically gain a bonus to his Hit Points. The bonus is based on the mage’s current Hit Points, multiplied by his experience level. A 7th level mage with 30 Hit Points will receive a bonus of 210 Hit Points. For experienced mages, this grants them the ability to withstand very minor amounts of Mega-Damage. Should the staff be destroyed, this bonus instantly vanishes. This function has no effect on caster’s who are mega-damage beings, only typical mortals (humans, ogres, elves, etc.).

3) The Staff
The staff itself must be all wood (ornamentation may be added after the ritual) and of a reasonable size for the mage (a human cannot use a twig, nor a log). After the ritual, it becomes extremely resilient and possesses 60 MDC. It can be used to block or parry MD attacks, but inflicts damage according to the wielder’s strength. Due to the unique nature of the bond, the caster wields it with little effort and receives the bonuses from WP Blunt equals to his own level at the time of the ritual. Thus a 6th level mage would get bonuses from WP Blunt as if he had always had the skill, but the ability will not improve when he becomes 7th level. Additionally, the bonuses only apply to the staff, no other weapons. When destroyed, the mage will immediately suffer a great, stabbing pain throughout his body and be weakened for 1D4 days (-2 to attributes, combat rolls, bonuses, etc.) Afterwards, the mage must wait 1D6 weeks before creating another staff. Some mages will deliberately destroy their own staff in order to create a more powerful one, while others come to have great affection for it and maintain their first one for their entire lives.

Addendum!
As a mystical extension of the mage, in some cases it can be used as if it were a part of his own body. When casting a spell that requires the mage to touch his target, the mage may touch the recipient with his staff in lieu of his own hand. Spells that launch a magical blast, such as Fire Ball, may be "shot" from the staff's tip (no change to any strike bonuses). Spells such as Lightblade can be made to emanate from the staff, effectively making it a spear or pole weapon.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Mack, where are you quoting that from?
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Mack, where are you quoting that from?

Myself. I just happened use quotes to set off the addendum.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Mack wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Mack, where are you quoting that from?

Myself. I just happened use quotes to set off the addendum.

"where" was the word in the question. Who you were quoting was there for all to read.
taalismn
Priest

Lucidity(Invocation)
Lucidity is the result of ongoing research into magically reversing the effects of progressive mental degeneration not affected by spells like Cure Illness or Cure Insanity. Lucidity temporarily reverses and negates the effects of dementia, senility, Alzheimers Disease, and other progressive mental illnesses. It is becoming a favorite spell of some magical healers, hospitals, and hospices to allow for the extraction of information from deranged minds, or allow patients to temporarily regain possession of their rational minds long enough to connect with friends and family. It can also temporarily break magic-induced insanities.
Level: 8th
Range: Touch or 6 ft per level of experience
Duration: 10 minutes per level of experience
Effects:
Temporarily reverses the effects of dementia, senility, Alzheimers Disease, and other progressive mental illnesses. When Lucidity is in effect, the affected person will have full possession of their faculties, including their memory, and spells/powers like Total Recall will work as normal.
If used to treat magically-induced insanities, it restores lucidity for the normal time period, but only interrupts the magic, not negate it, though it gives the victim a second roll to resist the curse-spell, at +1.
Lucidity cannot be cast more than three times consequentively per 24 hours without running the risk of the person starting to develop a resistance to it; any subsequent casting attempts beyond three times, and the person will develop a +1, each new spell casting attempt, to save against the Lucidity taking hold again. This is what is keeping the spell from being lauded as a true cure, and instead as a stopgap treatment.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

taalismn wrote:Lucidity(Invocation)
Lucidity is the result of ongoing research into magically reversing the effects of progressive mental degeneration not affected by spells like Cure Illness or Cure Insanity. Lucidity temporarily reverses and negates the effects of dementia, senility, Alzheimers Disease, and other progressive mental illnesses. It is becoming a favorite spell of some magical healers, hospitals, and hospices to allow for the extraction of information from deranged minds, or allow patients to temporarily regain possession of their rational minds long enough to connect with friends and family. It can also temporarily break magic-induced insanities.
Level: 8th
Range: Touch or 6 ft per level of experience
Duration: 10 minutes per level of experience
Effects:
Temporarily reverses the effects of dementia, senility, Alzheimers Disease, and other progressive mental illnesses. When Lucidity is in effect, the affected person will have full possession of their faculties, including their memory, and spells/powers like Total Recall will work as normal.
If used to treat magically-induced insanities, it restores lucidity for the normal time period, but only interrupts the magic, not negate it, though it gives the victim a second roll to resist the curse-spell, at +1.
Lucidity cannot be cast more than three times consequentively per 24 hours without running the risk of the person starting to develop a resistance to it; any subsequent casting attempts beyond three times, and the person will develop a +1, each new spell casting attempt, to save against the Lucidity taking hold again. This is what is keeping the spell from being lauded as a true cure, and instead as a stopgap treatment.

:cry: :cry: Bless your heart.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
taalismn
Priest

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:
taalismn wrote:Lucidity(Invocation)

:cry: :cry: Bless your heart.

Yeah, there's few enough spells that address real mental issues, it being easier to warp minds than cure/rehabilitate already damaged ones.
But yeah, this one's drawn from real life experience. :rose:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Here's some new Fire Warlock spells:

Aegis of Flame
Level: Second
Range: Touch
Duration: 5 minutes per level of the warlock.
P.P.E.: Eight

Aegis of Flame wraps the recipient in the protective embrace of the element of Fire. This provides the recipient a glowing aura of 5 S.D.C. per level of the Warlock. There is no A.R. associated with this spell. While active, the recipient glows slightly red and takes double damage from attacks of the opposing element (Water). If an attack depletes the S.D.C. of this aura the spell ends in a brief flash of red light and no further damage from that attack carries over to the recipient.

Smoke Monster
Level: Fourth
Range: Immediate area
Duration: 30 minutes
P.P.E.: Fifteen

Through this spell the warlock is able to summon and command a simple, mischievous, fire elemental essence fragment as a cloud of smoke. This fire elemental fragment can be assigned an area or told to follow a particular person or group and make noise, knock over objects, slam doors, tap, thump, blow out candles, frighten and terrify, etc.

• Natural A.R. 10
  • Hit Points: 20 ; S.D.C.: 10
  • Things of Note: Prowl: 80%, H.F. 14, three feet tall, P.S. 4, P.P. 6, flying speed of 20 mph, +4 to dodge, and two melee attacks/ actions per round. Only inflicts 1D4 damage from attacks.

The smoke monster is too puny to steal any item weighing more than three pounds and is too dumb to spy/gather intelligence or follow complicated orders. It will remain in this world until the spell's duration ends or the warlock sends it back, whichever comes first.

Little Inferno
Level: Fifth
Range: Immediate area.
Duration: 30 minutes per level of the warlock.
P.P.E.: Thirty

This spell enables the Warlock to summon and command a fragmented essence from a greater fire elemental. This conflagrant assistant can be sent to scout ahead, spy, hunt, defend, attack, carry items, etcetera. There is no limit to the distance it can travel away from the Warlock.

Little Inferno
  • Natural A.R. 11
  • Hit points: 70; S.D.C.: 30
  • Attribute Equivalents: I.Q. 9, M.A. 3, M.E. 10, P.S. 22, P.P. 19, and speed 30 mph.
  • Natural abilities: Made of fire (does 2D6 damage upon contact and has a 70% chance of igniting combustibles), eight feet tall, night vision 600 feet, can see the invisible, infrared, and heat emanations, doesn't fatigue, is impervious to physical attacks, heat, fire, poison and disease, bioregenerate 4D6 S.D.C per melee round, and the Little Inferno can carry up to 1100 pounds and still moves at its maximum speed! Obeys the warlock only. Cold and Water based attacks, spells and psionics do double damage.
  • Bonuses: +4 on initiative, +6 to strike, +2 to parry and dodge. Three attacks/actions per melee round and inflicts 3D6 damage from punch or 6D6 from a power punch (counts as two attacks), plus P.S. and fire damage.
  • Can cast all level 1-3 fire elemental magic; 100 P.P.E. It will remain in this world until the spell's duration elapses or it is sent back by the warlock, whichever comes first.

Fireball Barrage
Level: Seventh
Range: 90ft +10ft/ level
Duration: Instant
Saving Throw: Dodge at -10

This spell creates one fiery missile per level of the Warlock which can then be directed and fired simultaneously at one or more targets. The maximum number of targets is two, plus an additional target at caster levels four, eight, and twelve. These missiles are magically guided and rarely miss - potential victims have a -10 to any attempts to dodge. Each fiery missile does 1D6 damage.

Fires of Rebirth
Level: Eighth
Duration: 1D4 melees for the immolation, resurrection is permanent
P.P.E.: Fifty

The warlock can revive a recently dead person by invoking this elemental magic, laying their hands on the dead person's body and willing fire to engulf the corpse. The fire burns hot and powerful, like cremation flames, but seem to do no damage to the body. This immolation lasts for up to 1D4 melee rounds. The flames do no damage to the warlock but will do 1D4×10 damage to anyone else who comes in contact with them. At the end of every melee round there is a 20%, +2%/level chance that the deceased will be revived and brought back to life. The fire will instantly die out if the resurrection is successful or after the 1D4 melee rounds; whichever occurs first.

This spell can be attempted only once per deceased, and if the revival attempt(s) fail the body is reduced to a pile of ash once the flames die away. There is a -5% penalty to the resurrection chance for every 24 hours that have passed since the deceased died. The flames do not restore missing limbs or cure insanity. The resurrected character will revive with full H.P., S.D.C., P.P.E., I.S.P., and feel refreshed and renewed as if waking up from a long rest.

The Aegis of Flame spell inspired a similar spell for each of the other Elements:

Aegis of Ice

Aegis of Ice wraps the recipient in the protective embrace of the element of Water. This provides the recipient a glowing aura of 5 S.D.C. per level of the Warlock. There is no A.R. associated with this spell. While active, the recipient glows slightly blue and takes double damage from attacks of the opposing element (Fire). If an attack depletes the S.D.C. of this aura the spell ends in a brief flash of blue light and no further damage from that attack carries over to the recipient.

Aegis of Wind

Aegis of Wind wraps the recipient in the protective embrace of the element of Air. This provides the recipient a glowing aura of 5 S.D.C. per level of the Warlock. There is no A.R. associated with this spell. While active, the recipient glows slightly white and takes double damage from attacks of the opposing element (Earth). If an attack depletes the S.D.C. of this aura the spell ends in a brief flash of white light and no further damage from that attack carries over to the recipient.

Aegis of Stone

Aegis of Stone wraps the recipient in the protective embrace of the element of Earth. This provides the recipient a glowing aura of 5 S.D.C. per level of the Warlock. There is no A.R. associated with this spell. While active, the recipient glows slightly green and takes double damage from attacks of the opposing element (Air). If an attack depletes the S.D.C. of this aura the spell ends in a brief flash of green light and no further damage from that attack carries over to the recipient.

taalismn
Priest

Can the Smoke Monster blind or choke(smoke inhalation) somebody if it manages to engulf their head/breathing openings?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

taalismn wrote:Can the Smoke Monster blind or choke(smoke inhalation) somebody if it manages to engulf their head/breathing openings?

That seems reasonable. Maybe as an attack it can force an opponent to make a save vs Non-Lethal Poison or suffer negatives related to being blinded and choked by smoke. Probably the same or similar penalties as in one of the smoke spells.

taalismn
Priest

Glistam wrote:
taalismn wrote:Can the Smoke Monster blind or choke(smoke inhalation) somebody if it manages to engulf their head/breathing openings?

That seems reasonable. Maybe as an attack it can force an opponent to make a save vs Non-Lethal Poison or suffer negatives related to being blinded and choked by smoke. Probably the same or similar penalties as in one of the smoke spells.

Yeah, if you introduce a particular form of animate matter, be sure to take advantage of that matter-state's particular properties. :wink:

And of course, that self-same mischievous smoke-spirit can potentially trigger smoke alarms, maybe cause small air-breathing engines to seize up, trip air quality alerts....the sort of things that annoy high-tech controlled/monitored environments.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Zipper Jaws(Invocation)
Level: 4
Duration: 1 minute per level of experience
PPE Cost: 8 (Tailor Mages spend only 4 PPE)
Effects:
This spell, believed to have originated in the Ludicrous Magery school, causes a clothing or garment zipper to become animated and act like a predatory beast. The zipper will pull free at one end from the clothing it is a part of, and will begin to snap and bite like a snake or giant centipede. The zipper will also magically increase in length by 50% of baseline per level of experience. The animated zipper can be directed to defend its wearer, or attack them(caster’s choice).
The animated zipper has 2 attacks per melee, +1 per every 2 levels of experience of the caster.
If the zipper is ripped loose of its parent clothing, it will become inert within 1 melee. At the end of the spell’s duration, the zipper remains loose; it does NOT magically re-attach itself, and must be sewn back in place.
Plastic zippers will do 1 SDC on a snap/bite, while metal zippers will do 1d4 SDC.
Animated plastic zippers also have 4 -8 SDC, while metal zippers have 6-12 SDC*. Both gain a +1 SDC per level of the caster’s experience.
*MDC material zippers are also possible; typically 2-6 MDC.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Wax Body(Necromancy)(Invocation)
Level: 7
Type: Invocation.
Range: Touch or 6 ft.
Duration: Permanent
PPE Cost: 35
Effects:
This spell,(also known as Impressionable Corpse in some circles) cast on a dead body, allows the corpse to be imprinted with the appearance of another person. The corpse must be of the same general size (within six inches) and build of the person being imitated to be truly effective, and the person must touch the corpse within 5 minutes of the casting. The corpse will then spontaneously mold and reform to take on the features of the person who touched it. The new appearance will externally match the person perfectly, even down to eye color and dental records. Only a thorough autopsy, DNA test or a Negate Magic spell cast on the corpse will reveal the deception. Great for faking a death, provided a suitable corpse is available.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

taalismn wrote:Wax Body(Necromancy)(Invocation)
Level: 7
Type: Invocation.
Range: Touch or 6 ft.
Duration: Permanent
PPE Cost: 35
Effects:
This spell,(also known as Impressionable Corpse in some circles) cast on a dead body, allows the corpse to be imprinted with the appearance of another person. The corpse must be of the same general size (within six inches) and build of the person being imitated to be truly effective, and the person must touch the corpse within 5 minutes of the casting. The corpse will then spontaneously mold and reform to take on the features of the person who touched it. The new appearance will externally match the person perfectly, even down to eye color and dental records. Only a thorough autopsy, DNA test or a Negate Magic spell cast on the corpse will reveal the deception. Great for faking a death, provided a suitable corpse is available.

just reading the title my mind had a toooootallllyyy different idea bout what this spell was.
Which gave me an idea for a spell. :D
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Brazilian Job
Level: 4 common magic/invocation
Range: self, touch or 6'+1'/L
Duration: Instant.
Saving throw: none if being touched, otherwise standard
PPE Cost: 14

No one will admit to crafting this spell but it 1st appeared on an earth in the 1980's in it's south americas.
The effects of this spell it to remove the hair that is on a person. This is just a depilatory effect, in which just the dead parts of the hair is removed. The casting mage can remove as little as one hair and as much as all the hair on a person. There is no pain involved with this magical hair removal. The hair just vanishes from the ken of those observing.
❖If the mage is doing artistic hair removal then they need Line of Sight and roll vs their art skill (any) or 20%+3% per level (like with Related and secondary this starts at base skill level and only advances with leveling up.)
❖At level 5 a mage can effect one additional person per casting. This is limited to generalized area removals.
❖Also at 5th level, the mage can modify the effect to just trim the hair to a desired length.

➤There are some variants of this spell that need for the mage to pass his/her hand over the area to be depilated. With these versions the mage need the drawing art skill for artistic renderings.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
taalismn
Priest

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Brazilian Job
Level: 4 common magic/invocation
Range: self, touch or 6'+1'/L
Duration: Instant.
Saving throw: none if being touched, otherwise standard
PPE Cost: 14

No one will admit to crafting this spell but it 1st appeared on an earth in the 1980's in it's south americas.
The effects of this spell it to remove the hair that is on a person. This is just a depilatory effect, in which just the dead parts of the hair is removed. The casting mage can remove as little as one hair and as much as all the hair on a person. If the mage is doing artistic hair removal then they need Line of Sight and roll vs their art skill (any) or 20%+3% per level (like with Related and secondary this starts at base skill level and only advances with leveling up.)

At level 5 a mage can effect one additional person per casting. This is limited to generalized area removals.

The important question is, does it do it PAINLESSLY? :D
Otherwise I can see somebody touching somebody else and
"AAAAAAAAGGGHHHHHHH!!!"
"What happened?"
"MY CHEST MANE!!!! IT'S GONNNEEEEE!!!"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

taalismn wrote:The important question is, does it do it PAINLESSLY? :D
"AAAAAAAAGGGHHHHHHH!!!"
"What happened?"

There should be a ludicrous mage combat variant to this spell for this reason alone.

Merc-fighter "How are we going to get past all those guards without starting a firefight and botching the whole job?

Merc-Ludicrous Mage "Watch and be amazed." Waggles fingers at guards followed by several furious ripping motions.

Guards "AAAHAHHHH!! Sweet mother of Fuuuuu!" The guard are now momentarily incapacitated as they lie on the ground, some holding their now bleeding noses, upper lips, and both front and back nethers.

Merc-Fighter "You..? You?! You are the most twisted s.o.b. I've ever worked with. I like your style!"

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

taalismn wrote:The important question is, does it do it PAINLESSLY? :D
"AAAAAAAAGGGHHHHHHH!!!"
"What happened?"

There should be a ludicrous mage combat variant to this spell for this reason alone.

Merc-fighter "How are we going to get past all those guards without starting a firefight and botching the whole job?

Merc-Ludicrous Mage "Watch and be amazed." Waggles fingers at guards followed by several furious ripping motions.

Guards "AAAHAHHHH!! Sweet mother of Fuuuuu!" The guard are now momentarily incapacitated as they lie on the ground, some holding their now bleeding noses, upper lips, and both front and back nethers.

Merc-Fighter "You..? You?! You are the most twisted s.o.b. I've ever worked with. I like your style!"

Yep, agree that the LM version would just rip the hairs to out. *chuckles*
taalismn
Priest

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:[

Just be careful who you use it on....

"Guys, there's a ...well, he CLAIMS to be a sasquatch. Sez he tracked one of you down here...something about payback?"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

taalismn wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:[

Just be careful who you use it on....

"Guys, there's a ...well, he CLAIMS to be a sasquatch. Sez he tracked one of you down here...something about payback?"

Sounds like a Darwin Award situation.
taalismn
Priest

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
taalismn wrote:

Sounds like a Darwin Award situation.

Only if the guy so named actually answers the summons....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

taalismn wrote:
Glistam wrote:

Yeah, if you introduce a particular form of animate matter, be sure to take advantage of that matter-state's particular properties. :wink:

And of course, that self-same mischievous smoke-spirit can potentially trigger smoke alarms, maybe cause small air-breathing engines to seize up, trip air quality alerts....the sort of things that annoy high-tech controlled/monitored environments.

I added in a line about the special attack. The updated spell is below:

Little Smoke Monster
Level: Fourth
Range: Immediate area
Duration: 30 minutes

Through this spell the warlock is able to summon and command a simple, mischievous, fire elemental essence fragment as a cloud of smoke. This fire elemental fragment can be assigned an area or told to follow a particular person or group and make noise, knock over objects, slam doors, tap, thump, blow out candles, frighten and terrify, etc.

• Natural A.R. 10
  • Hit Points: 20 ; S.D.C.: 10
  • Things of Note: Prowl: 80%, H.F. 14, three feet tall, P.S. 4, P.P. 6, flying speed of 20 mph, +4 to dodge, and two melee attacks/ actions per round. Only inflicts 1D4 damage from attacks but can opt instead to do a special engulfment attack:
    • Special attack: The Little Smoke Monster can engulf an opponent to both obscure vision and cause them to choke or gag. Those engulfed will be unable to see clearly beyond 10 feet and are -2 on initiative and -4 to strike, parry, and dodge. They must make a save vs non-lethal poison or also choke/gag on the smoke and and lose one attack per melee, -20% on all skills and -10% to speed. These choking penalties will persist for as long as they are within the smoke and for one melee round after. To escape the smoke the victim must roll a dodge or make a successful acrobatic maneuver.

The smoke monster is too puny to steal any item weighing more than three pounds and is too dumb to spy/gather intelligence or follow complicated orders. It will remain in this world until the spell's duration ends or the warlock sends it back, whichever comes first.

taalismn
Priest

Thank you.
Constructive criticism DOES work! :wink:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

LightCoat(Invocation)
Range: 20 ft per level of experience, 20 ft radius glow per level of experience
Saving Throw: Standard. On a successful save, the intended target can stumble free of the LightCoat(treat as a standard stationary Globe of Daylight) and escape its area of illumination.
PPE Cost: 18
Effects:
A modification of the spell Globe of Daylight, this spell wraps its target in a glowing coat of energy that glows brightly with mystic sunlight. This can be used to designate targets at night or in darkness, or cloak a person in protective light, but it is most effective against beings vulnerable to bright light and especially sunlight, as they cannot flee the radius of effect of the spell.
Last edited by taalismn on Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Sounds like a merging of the GoD and Light target spell.

Maybe putting the 'uses' of the spell in a new paragraph, and changing 'coat of energy' to 'coat of daylight'.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Is it warm? I could see it in a cleric/healers toolkit. find someone who's suffering from exposure to the cold/wet. lightcoat will warm them up and dry them out. and since it's light..maybe ease any fears from being in the dark.

oh! what a neat diversion. cast lightcoat on something away from where you are to draw attention away from you. or cast it on a rabbit or something so they enemy will have something to chase.

neat spell, lots of possibilities,

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

taalismn
Priest

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Is it warm? I could see it in a cleric/healers toolkit. find someone who's suffering from exposure to the cold/wet. lightcoat will warm them up and dry them out. and since it's light..maybe ease any fears from being in the dark.

oh! what a neat diversion. cast lightcoat on something away from where you are to draw attention away from you. or cast it on a rabbit or something so they enemy will have something to chase.

neat spell, lots of possibilities,

Thanks. I imagine it's as warm as a Globe of Daylight spell.
But photo-dependent beings like plant-aliens could use it to extend their activity in dark conditions. :wink:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

based on the spell saving throw entry, i can only presume that the 290 foot radius (per level) AoE of the light was a typo.

or, alternately, making the save causes you to have the most epic stumble imaginable.
taalismn
Priest

Shark_Force wrote:based on the spell saving throw entry, i can only presume that the 290 foot radius (per level) AoE of the light was a typo.

or, alternately, making the save causes you to have the most epic stumble imaginable.

Fixed. Thanks for looking after me again Shark_Force.
I'll save the 290 ft radius PLE for the spell Thermonuclear Sunlamp
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Strata-Vision(Invocation)
Level: 8
Range: Self or other by touch
Actual vision range is 80 ft+10 ft per level of experience( 50% greater range for dual Earth/other Element Warlocks, DOUBLE range for Earth Warlocks)
PPE Cost: 30 (HALF for Earth Warlocks)
Effects:
This gives the caster the ability to see through soil and rock as if it were nothing more substantial than a light mist or fog. Denser materials and strata will be seen as more opaque to the supernatural vision. CANNOT see through artificial materials such as refined metals, plastics or reinforced concrete(can see through rebar, but it's like looking through a thick fence or hedge...there's all that refined metal in the way). Great for finding buried objects, hidden tunnels, and mineral concentrations.
Last edited by taalismn on Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

what about unreinforced concrete?

Nice naming, it said exactly what the spell does in two words.

I would omit the "/Dual ", a warlock with two elements with one being earth is still an earth warlock.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:what about unreinforced concrete?

I would omit the "/Dual ", a warlock with two elements with one being earth is still an earth warlock.

I partially agree with this. I was wondering why a Dual Elementalist would get more than 2x the power of a pure earth warlock? Maybe i'm just reading things wrong. But in m limited understanding the effect should go something like this...

Strata - Vision: 80 ft + whatever %

Dual Elementalist (earth +): 80 ft plus some lesser bonus because the warlock ability isn't purely focused on earth

Earth Warlock: 2X power (or 160 feet for the math deficient )

Also I think it shouldn't be "stopped" by reinforced concrete, but rather hampered. They can still see through the earth material, but the rebar would put obstructions in their field of vision. Think of it like looking through a fence or the bars of a cage. You can see what's on the other side, but there are things in the way.

Just my thoughts.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

taalismn
Priest

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:what about unreinforced concrete?

I partially agree with this. I was wondering why a Dual Elementalist would get more than 2x the power of a pure earth warlock? Maybe i'm just reading things wrong. But in m limited understanding the effect should go something like this...

Strata - Vision: 80 ft + whatever %

Dual Elementalist (earth +): 80 ft plus some lesser bonus because the warlock ability isn't purely focused on earth

Earth Warlock: 2X power (or 160 feet for the math deficient )

Also I think it shouldn't be "stopped" by reinforced concrete, but rather hampered. They can still see through the earth material, but the rebar would put obstructions in their field of vision. Think of it like looking through a fence or the bars of a cage. You can see what's on the other side, but there are things in the way.

Just my thoughts.

Good thoughts,

I should have said,"Warlock with dual Elements has 50% greater range, Earth Warlock gets DOUBLE range"...The order seems to mess people up in this case.
And I'll change the description to use yours about the fence...
Thanks.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

maybe with dual Element warlocks, that the spell will work for stuff of the other element.
Like being able to see though fog if paired with water or seeing through wood stuff if paired with fire.
taalismn
Priest

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:maybe with dual Element warlocks, that the spell will work for stuff of the other element.
Like being able to see though fog if paired with water or seeing through wood stuff if paired with fire.

Well, 'Penetrating Gaze' already does that for water.... :angel:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Zipper Jaws(Invocation)
Level: 4(Level 3 for Tailor Mages)
PPE Cost: 8, 6 for Tailor Mages
Effects:
This spell causes a clothing or garment zipper to become animated and act like a predatory beast. The zipper will pull free at one end from the clothing it is a part of, and will begin to snap and bite like a snake or giant centipede. The zipper will also magically increase in length by 50% of baseline per level of experience. The animated zipper can be directed to defend its wearer, or attack them(caster’s choice).
The animated zipper has 2 attacks per melee, +1 per every 2 levels of experience of the caster.
If the zipper is ripped loose of its parent clothing, it will become inert within 1 melee. At the end of the spell’s duration, the zipper remains loose; it does NOT magically re-attach itself, and must be sewn back in place.
Plastic zippers will do 1 SDC on a snap/bite, while metal zippers will do 1d4 SDC.
Animated plastic zippers also have 4 -8 SDC, while metal zippers have 6-12 SDC*. Both gain a +1 SDC per level of the caster’s experience.
*MDC material zippers are also possible; typically 2-6 MDC.

Water(less) Bed(Ludicrous Magic)(Invocation)
Level: 8
Range: 10 ft per level of experience
Duration: 15 minutes per level of experience.
PPE Cost: 30
Effects:
This spell turns an ordinary mattress or boxspring bed into the consistency of thin quicksand, while still retaining its shape. Anybody using it, however, will find themselves sinking into it and, depending on how deep/thick the mattress is, may be in danger of being smothered unless they can quickly extricate themselves. Those with a quick state of mind(or the Swimming skill) will be able to float themselves and remain head above the sheets until they can pull themselves out or the spell ends. Until cessation of the spell, anybody caught in the transformed mattress will be popped back to the surface(20% chance of ending up UNDER the mattress). This spell is believed to be an early Ludicrous Magic spell, harkening to when it was still an assassination art.
Last edited by taalismn on Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”