Enlightened Immortal?

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Abadon Spectre
D-Bee

Enlightened Immortal?

Unread post by Abadon Spectre »

I just read up on these a short while ago, and while it isn't something that I personally want to play, I did have one question...

Upon turning 16-17 after a reincarnation they regain/remember all prior OCC/PCC abilities, powers, and skills.
Taken literally that means they regain any super powers, but what about powers like those granted by Atlantean tattoos or nazcan line drawing?
Would the EI suddenly gain tattoos or runes all over their body, or would they just get the powers?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Enlightened Immortal?

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Remember the Context of the setting. They would regain what Martial Arts, Martial Arts Powers, and skills they had in former lives.

Besides, I see the EI as NPC characters. Something for GMs to use in their games. Much like Alchemists in PF, and 2nd stage Promethens in the 3 Galaxies setting.
--------------------------

As to to stuff powers and abilities from other settings…each GM will have to decide for themselves how they are going to convert the EI text for their own NPCs in their games.

Class by Class of the powers...
I would not let them regain super powers, no past life magic tattoos, no they could not of been a Nightbane nor Nightspawn in a past life. Powers based in genetics no.

Psi powers: maybe.
Granted Magic: 80% no /20% yes (depending on the power granting the magic.
Intuitive Magic: maybe (same chance as Psi powers)
Learned magic: yes they could remember the skills and spells, the ability to cast the spells: maybe.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Things like the tattoos are add-ons they aren't really something you can see as natural to the character, just like they aren't going to retain past wealth or a favorite weapon from their previous life and would have to hunt it back down if they wanted it in their newest life. Super-powers would likely be in the same category.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Just my two cents here. This is all my opinion only of course, so make of it what you will.

I would allow anything that you can do because of knowledge to be kept. This includes skills, martial arts, learned magic, learned psionic/para psionic abilities (main examples: Cyber Knights, Phase Adapts, etc). If your super power is based on learning (like say the Ancient Master, or the NPC who has powers from martial arts training) then sure.

I would not allow anything that was tied to your body. This includes: cybernetics, (most) bio-wizardry, wealth, status, eye color, hair color, shoe size

I do however allow anything that was tied to your soul though: if you were granted psionic power by being bathed in the light of Azlum, you will keep it... and the insanity. If a god granted you powers you will keep them. For my games I have tattoos count since they are tied to your life force... on the sixteenth birthday all the tattoos reappear, just like with a normal tattoo man who regenerates a limb. If a bio-wizard effect was tied to the life force then it will be retained... the implementation of this is up to the arcane rule known as "narrative necessity"
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Abadon Spectre wrote:I just read up on these a short while ago, and while it isn't something that I personally want to play, I did have one question...

Upon turning 16-17 after a reincarnation they regain/remember all prior OCC/PCC abilities, powers, and skills.
Taken literally that means they regain any super powers, but what about powers like those granted by Atlantean tattoos or nazcan line drawing?
Would the EI suddenly gain tattoos or runes all over their body, or would they just get the powers?

Tattoos are basically magical objects embeded into your skin via magical ink. They would not carry over. which is a good thing if you use magic, sinse if you get 7+ tattoos, you will lose them when you are reincarnated and could use magic again.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

I think there's some room for argument in favor of magic tattoos being carried over to a new incarnation. The description from Rifts Atlantis indicates that unless the limb they're on is removed, they'll reappear after burns heal and even on grafted skin. That, along with the increased damage capacity and potential psychic energy, implies to me that they are alterations to the character’s spiritual being as well as physical. I'll admit that's conjecture though, and really only valid if the GM wants it ro be.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

I don't think you would get super abilities back unless the power came from an OCC, based on that text.

In broader terms that could be read as applying to powers from training, like the super abilities an ancient master or physical training get, even though they are technically power categories and not called OCCs except in Rifts Conversion Book.

Stuff like tattoos and line drawings are anchored in your old body, they would need to be gained all over again...

Well unless you take the magic tattoos being bonded to your soul as meaning they follow the soul to your next body...

In which case they should be present from birth but you don't remember how to use them until puberty.

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”