Mongrel Dog-Boys

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Rhogen
D-Bee

Mongrel Dog-Boys

Unread post by Rhogen »

For a town settting I came up with- some of its population consists of rouge Psi-Hounds deserters from the CS, some of which had offspring.

Has anyone ever come up with dog-boys of mixed breeds? Tried to make sense of how their stats would be affected?
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Re: Mongrel Dog-Boys

Unread post by The Beast »

Rhogen wrote:For a town settting I came up with- some of its population consists of rouge Psi-Hounds deserters from the CS, some of which had offspring.

Has anyone ever come up with dog-boys of mixed breeds? Tried to make sense of how their stats would be affected?

This is what you get out of it. Enjoy. :D
Nox Equites
Explorer

Unread post by Nox Equites »

They are likely to at best be an average of the component types.
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

its just me but my thought is that the easiest answer is to play the whole genetic lottery game (if you want to)
first they would get the generic dog boy bonuses package.
2nd for each "bonus" you get 25% moms genetics dominate, 25% dads genes dominate, 25% deconstructive synergy, 25% constructive synergy as the "simple" explanation.

example looking at the type/breed table from lone star
say mom was a golden retriever: Good tracker, Hardy, +3d6 SDC, +1 PS, +1 PE, natural swimmer 80%
dad was a German Shepard: Good Tracker, Alert, Highly intelligent and Loyal, +1d6 IQ, +1d6 PE, +1d6 Spd, +15SDC, +1 initiative Good Swimmer 60% loves to work with humans friendly disposition and loyal.

so on the IQ for example, 25% no bonus,(mom) 25% +1d4 bonus, 25% 1d6 bonus, 25% 2d4 bonus
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

So here's simplified way of coming up with their random bonus.

Roll 1D4. Based on that outcome, roll percentage dice that many times on the Type/Breed of Dog table (RUE p148). On the first roll take the first bonus listed (and only the first one). On the second roll, take the second bonus listed. On the third... etc.

So if I roll a 3 on my 1D4, then I get three percentage dice rolls:
1) I roll a 09 - I take the Wolfhound's first bonus listed
2) I roll a 65 - I take the Bull Terrier's second bonus listed
3) I roll a 25 - I take the Golden Retriever's third bonus listed
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I would average out all the bonuses, subtract 50% or so, remove anything that involves special training to use....and call that the 'dog boy template'
basically the 'racial packages' are only available to pure breed examples of the race. A single cross breed and those bonuses all go away as carefully optimized genetics packages get disrupted.
Is this very nice? No, but it adds a new layer of dislike to the Free-Born over the CS. And a reason to continue to recruit new blood into their communities.
If you can keep a stable pool of bloodhounds going, then you can have all the advantages of pure-blood blood-hounds. If they have to cross over though.....
just my two credits worth
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

honestly, the simpliest method would be one of two things:

use the bases stats only. roll twice on the breeds table to determine parentage and appearance, but do not apply any of the bonuses/penalties from those results.

or

roll once on the breed table to determine modifiers (this is one parent), roll a 2nd time to determine the other parent and the hybrid features. do not aply any modifiers from this 2nd roll.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

I'd actually take out the bonuses. As pointed out previously the 'breed bonus' are for more or less 'pure breed' (If there's such a thing when you're uplifting a quadrupedal animal to a sapient bipedal, thinking, talking creature). If it's a 'mutt', then not enough genetic material of the 'breed' has expressed itself to signify something "Above the norm"

You get 'default dog boy' with no bonus.

Anything else is trying to mini max. "I'll take ______ from this breed because I want THIS Stat and ______ from THAT breed because I want THAT stat!!"

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:I'd actually take out the bonuses. As pointed out previously the 'breed bonus' are for more or less 'pure breed' (If there's such a thing when you're uplifting a quadrupedal animal to a sapient bipedal, thinking, talking creature). If it's a 'mutt', then not enough genetic material of the 'breed' has expressed itself to signify something "Above the norm"

You get 'default dog boy' with no bonus.

Anything else is trying to mini max. "I'll take ______ from this breed because I want THIS Stat and ______ from THAT breed because I want THAT stat!!"

pretty much. that said, usually a first generation 'mutt' will often take after one of the parents more closely than the other. thus my latter suggestion of one roll for the bonus, and a 2nd for appearance stuff only.

after 2 or more generations of 'mutts', the genetics generally end up with a 'generic canine', and the main way to tell ancestry is appearance.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Rhogen wrote:For a town settting I came up with- some of its population consists of rouge Psi-Hounds deserters from the CS, some of which had offspring.

No, but if it had to come up I think I would simply say that one parent's genes express themselves over the others. This is how other "can breed" with humans operate w/n the Palladium System (stat wise you aren't 1/2 True Atlantean and 1/2 Amazon, you are one or the other, or a 1/2 human 1/2 ogre as you are one or the other).

It may not be true to life, but it is simple to execute and avoids having to work out stats like this one self. Alternatively you could look at 2E RT or Macross 2 lines to get an idea of how cross breeding can effect stats, as these are one of the few instances I know of where the one or the other isn't used.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

I would follow the dog breed rules in After the Bomb:

After the Bomb, page 96 wrote: Rolling a percentile on the table for Dog Breeds indicates the dominant genes that go into the mutant dog character, or pick one of choice (in some cases, where a particular breed is part of the storyline, the G .M. may pick the breed of dog).

If the mutant character is a mongrel (mixed breed), the player may choose to roll ID4 additional times to see what other breeds the character has. However, this will only determine the character's coloration and some physical traits in the mutant dog's appearance. Do NOT add the bonuses or powers of these other breeds, only the dominant one applies.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

The Beast wrote:

This is what you get out of it. Enjoy. :D

And that took a lot of effort, for nothing really. :/
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Soldier of Od wrote:

I would follow the dog breed rules in After the Bomb:

After the Bomb, page 96 wrote: Rolling a percentile on the table for Dog Breeds indicates the dominant genes that go into the mutant dog character, or pick one of choice (in some cases, where a particular breed is part of the storyline, the G .M. may pick the breed of dog).

If the mutant character is a mongrel (mixed breed), the player may choose to roll ID4 additional times to see what other breeds the character has. However, this will only determine the character's coloration and some physical traits in the mutant dog's appearance. Do NOT add the bonuses or powers of these other breeds, only the dominant one applies.

Nice call! Canon rules on what I said! *G*

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...

Return to “Rifts®”