Anything new about the West Coast?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Fell
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Anything new about the West Coast?

Unread post by Fell »

Google: ArkStorm

This is what I researched in regard to flooding in Central Valley CA.

PS mercedogre I'll reply to your PM soon as I can.
Dan Frederick
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

mercedogre wrote:I live in the central valley and i could see this whole valley flooded with the mountains between the valley and the coast creating a large atoll type area. i think reconditioned ships from the naval areas near SF could be used to create a large raiding/mercenary fleet or an additional base for the New Navy. I'd like to see new amphibious R.C.C.s maybe, there would be alot of pre-Rifts underwater structures for them to live in. Also a resurgence of the Miwok Indians in the mountains of Yosemite, and ley line flowing right next to Half-Dome with a myth about the ley line teleporting the other half of the mountain. just some ideas ive come up with.

New amphibious R.C.C.s? Would you accept old ones up to new things too? :D
Incidentally, could not the "quick roll monsters table" from RMB be used to cook up some quick & dirty water-dwelling R.C.C.s :?:

Question - does RUE still have that table or something similar?
mercedogre
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: I ******* hate the atmosphere of the conversations here on these forums

Unread post by mercedogre »

not in RUE
You'll take my life but I'll take yours too
You'll fire your musket but I'll run you through
So when you're waiting for the next attack
You'd better stand there's no turning back
SolCannibal
Champion

mercedogre wrote:not in RUE

Thought so - while RUE adds a bunch of cool stuff to start up a game, it's a little shame they took that out,
as having a critter-making tool from the get-go can always be of some use for GMs. Oh well, one can always
improvise or use tables from other books if one cares to.
Last edited by SolCannibal on Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
mercedogre
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: I ******* hate the atmosphere of the conversations here on these forums

Unread post by mercedogre »

You cans till use the chart from RMB
You'll take my life but I'll take yours too
You'll fire your musket but I'll run you through
So when you're waiting for the next attack
You'd better stand there's no turning back
SolCannibal
Champion

mercedogre wrote:You cans till use the chart from RMB

True, true, but that's one more reason for GMs that actually took the time to buy RUE - or planned to - not to give their sometimes pretty old and battered RMBs its well-merited retirement from the table. Poor dude, has been dreaming for years of some nice, restful vacation beside the pretties in the Penthouse shelf. :P
mellowmaveric
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by mellowmaveric »

Well, there is the reserve fleet that is in the Delta. I'm sure it would expand over the years between now and the coming of the Rifts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suisun_Bay_Reserve_Fleet
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

SolCannibal wrote:
mercedogre wrote:You cans till use the chart from RMB

True, true, but that's one more reason for GMs that actually took the time to buy RUE - or planned to - not to give their sometimes pretty old and battered RMBs its well-merited retirement from the table. Poor dude, has been dreaming for years of some nice, restful vacation beside the pretties in the Penthouse shelf. :P

You let books retire?
HERITIC!
errr I mean ummm yeah
I try to keep one of everything available Just Because (you never know)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

I Lived in California for almost 30 years. One of the things that people forget is that the coast of California is rising. In the 7.2Mw Cape Mendocino earthquakes the coast rose about ten feet in places. Unlike Hollywood myths California is not going to fall into the Ocean. The plate tectonics is all wrong for that. the Pacific plate is going under the California plate. The reason California has so many earthquakes is the fact that it's on a plate boundary.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
SolCannibal
Champion

Rockwolf66 wrote:I Lived in California for almost 30 years. One of the things that people forget is that the coast of California is rising. In the 7.2Mw Cape Mendocino earthquakes the coast rose about ten feet in places. Unlike Hollywood myths California is not going to fall into the Ocean. The plate tectonics is all wrong for that. the Pacific plate is going under the California plate. The reason California has so many earthquakes is the fact that it's on a plate boundary.

Rising doesn't mean a part of it can't break from the mainland and the space between filled by sea, afaik.
Gamer
Adventurer

Unread post by Gamer »

The Pacific plate isn't even moving east it's actually moving northwest and taking the coast of southern California and Baja California with it.
It's projected that in about 75+ million years that area won't even be connected to North America anymore as it heads north west.
It's the Gorda micro-plate that is moving under the California area of the North American plate and will be gone by the time the Pacific plate moves that much.

After the Rifts cataclysm the pacific plate movement could cause a condition of its affected areas Solcannibal mentions.
Dulce bellum inexpertis.
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

mellowmaveric wrote:Well, there is the reserve fleet that is in the Delta. I'm sure it would expand over the years between now and the coming of the Rifts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suisun_Bay_Reserve_Fleet

Over the past few decades this reserve fleet has been shrinking. In fact because of how the ships were placed in the bay, they are considered Hazardous. So the ships are being thinned out, by destroying them piece by piece, and sending the metal off to China. By 2098, I doubt that it would be used any further, and a different location would be used.
mellowmaveric
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by mellowmaveric »

I'm just suggesting it as a jumping off point. It's the GM who has the final say as to who or what carries over from the real word to the game. By giving a bit of information to help other people know about what might not be known about the area, they can help create a richer world for the players.

Return to “Rifts®”