Demigod extra power?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Godslayer
D-Bee

Demigod extra power?

Unread post by Godslayer »

In the description of the Demigod in Pantheons of the Megaverse, it says they get an extra power from their parent, besides the power they pick from the Godling list. Is what they can pick defined anywhere? Can they pick another power from the godling list? A super power? The powers of another occ?

What is allowed in your games?
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Re: Demigod extra power?

Unread post by say652 »

Mystically Bestowed Abilities, Any master psionic rcc, if Warlock is chosen all four elements as the minor or multi Warlock, Cosmo knight like abilities, exact same but powered by the god not the forge.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Godslayer wrote:In the description of the Demigod in Pantheons of the Megaverse, it says they get an extra power from their parent, besides the power they pick from the Godling list. Is what they can pick defined anywhere? Can they pick another power from the godling list? A super power? The powers of another occ?

The 'extra power' is something they inherit from their parent directly. Examples that have been selected in my games include: A child of Ratri (Goddess of Shadows) who had shadow magic, a child of Dionysus who could use her fathers power to make alcohol, A child of Ares who commanded a small force of mercenaries in his fathers name, a demigod/true Atlantian who, by the grace of their mother, was able to use tattoos even though they were not fully 'human', a psychic demigod who had their third eye opened, a child of Hecate who was taught some of her secrets, and thus was allowed to be a Rune Smith, a child of a goddess of shadows who was allowed to pick Shadow Warlock as their OCC, and other such things.
Each 'parental gift' was something unique that related to their parent and was a sign of their heritage. Anyone could pick psionics, or magic or what ever as their 'demigod powers' after all....but if your parent has a special link to something then you can go above and beyond and take special links yourself.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I find limiting it to the Godling pantheon power chart as the occ suggests to be the best way. But as ask always gm fiat.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

say652 wrote:I find limiting it to the Godling pantheon power chart as the occ suggests to be the best way. But as ask always gm fiat.

There are two demigod powers
The first power is that you get to select a power off of the Godling chart. That one is pretty easy, go look on the list of powers and choose one.
Then you get a second power from your godly parent. That power is the one where creativity is needed.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I see no two power clause in the occ.

You get to choose an occ and one pantheon power.
I offer a lot of flex on pantheon power because, God's and all.
But s written no.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

say652 wrote:I see no two power clause in the occ.

But s written no.

"Listed below are the common abilities of all demigods. The GM will have to assign specific abilities depending on who the father was. In general, besides the powers listed below, most demigods will have ONE extra power, similar to that of the godly father or mother."

Thus most demigods get one other power from their parent on top of the RCC abilities.

Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

I guess I had always (perhaps erroreously) considered the

"...most demigods will have ONE extra power"
and
"...And select any one power from those listed under godling"

to be one and the same. The first sentence being simple "fluff text", while the second sentence is the "real statistics."

So if the player wanted to be the child of a trickster god he may get the invisibility power
If the player wanted to have the super-strong power he would be the child of a god of strength.

I do recognize that "In general, Besides the powers listed below..." would seem to indicated a seperate power from the one stated in the stat block. However I don't usually play it that way. If the player wanted something other than the Godling powers, I would likely have it replace the godling ability. (depending of course on the general theme and powerlevel of the game and request)
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I have one Demigod char that has the power from her parent to turn any liquid into a inebriating drink, along with the magic (warlock) DGL power.
--------------
say652 wrote:I see no two power clause in the occ.

But s written no.

The power gained from the deity parent is within the 'RCC' descriptive text.
If I had everyone make up new chars and one of the players wanted to make a Demigod I would have a discussion with the players about the char and it's relationship with it's deific parent and most likely have one of that parent's personal powers. This is along with the GL power they get from the race stats.

However, if the player was bringing in a pre-made char I might requirer just the one GL power.

This is something well in the gray area that calls for the GM of the game to decide on something.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

In general the 'bonus' ability is (at least to me) something that should be a lesser power that makes the character 'fit' more. Back when I still used the Physical Beauty stat for instance I let a character who had Venus as their parent just swap their PB stat to automatically be a 31 (so they were prettier than any other human could possibly be). I would not allow a major ability (like a second OCC, or magic powers) but I would allow a minor one (picking an OCC that they normally cant take, or slightly wider magic powers).

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Be Thoth's kid, select that power that lets him copy the OCC of a worshipper, obtain many allies, profit
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Tor wrote:Be Thoth's kid, select that power that lets him copy the OCC of a worshipper, obtain many allies, profit

Assuming that is an ability that can be inherited.....
I don't personally think that a prototypical deific power would come under the list of things that a demigod can get as their 'perk'

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

It never goes into specifics, so I don't see why not. Back before D+G I'm sure there were Enki-sons picking free anti-magic clouds as their power.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I would give access to the pantheon, and possibly similiar aliened deities of other pantheons. Networking with gods, sure.

Additional Power direct from parent, no, calling parent to use that ability, yes.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Tor wrote:It never goes into specifics, so I don't see why not. Back before D+G I'm sure there were Enki-sons picking free anti-magic clouds as their power.

If by "sure" you mean "Unsupported Assumption" ;)
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Tor wrote:It never goes into specifics, so I don't see why not. Back before D+G I'm sure there were Enki-sons picking free anti-magic clouds as their power.

Well if that is what the GM allowed them to have as their parental power then sure I guess.

It doesn't say "pick any power your parent has" it just says you get a power from your heritage.
It is quite possible that Enki's kids just got the spell Anti-Magic Cloud as a starting spell (cast as normal).....

Jorick
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Jorick »

Part of the problem is the Gods in CB2 aren't given consistent powers in this regard. Some don't really have extra powers. Some have a lot. Some have "balanced" powers. Some are just crazy out there superbeings. The RAW are ungainly here, as we all recognize. I think, as often happens in Rifts books, the "fluff" text really implies that story should trump strict codification.

I think the demigod asks for a lot of GM intervention. Not only should the GM incorporate antagonistic issues relating to the relevant pantheon (politics, enemies), but elements of the character should be defined by the GM, or be controlled by the GM, as well.

I think a player should create a good backstory, show understanding of pantheon related issues/mythology, and BOTH powers should flow from that understanding. I'd let a player go off book, as long as they stuck closely and creatively to the mythology.

A son of Apollo shouldn't get warlock powers. He should be a healer/artist/warrior/magician (to the extent that magic is very much a scholarly knowledge). In this example, thanks to the mythology, there's a lot a player can work with.

I have an example NPC: 1'st pick is the psychic power, in this case all healing and sensitive like Apollo. I would allow a player the super psionics that Apollo has as well (a master psi with a small and limited amount of super psi's is in no way a shocking power grab, especially given that Buster and the like can be the selection). The NPC is also a shifter tied to Apollo. I actually wrote the character as a dual profession. His starting OCC is a monster-hunter type (like in Yin Sloth--hopefully a good update coming in the Atlantean book). A few magic spells. Lots of combat oriented skills abilities. He then is contacted by Apollo (who, in mythology, kept close contact with his children) and is persuaded to become a shifter (with a tie to Apollo--the God of magic selection). That tie, the bonuses, and the fact that, being an emissary of Apollo may make summoning powerful beings of light more probable (good Shifters should ask nicely, and not fight their hopeful minions), is plenty "extra power" for anybody.

That's a nasty combo, a bit of everything, and heroic/epic/demigod-like. The backstory legitimizes the choices, and gives the player some of the limitations that make role-playing worthwhile, despite the power.

In general, demigod or not, I would ask for a lot of care (backstory, etc.) to be put into characters made for a campaign. Such care limits the difficulty of choices created by the rules as written in cases like the demigod, and keeps things fair enough and fun for all.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:

I support this fact because I imagined 2 Enki-son demigods with this power, picking it for them although I never played them, so that is why I was sure.

eliakon wrote:It doesn't say "pick any power your parent has" it just says you get a power from your heritage.

Actually it says "most demigods will have ONE extra power, similar to that of the godly father or mother" so I guess you're not even obligated to pick it :) Similar rather than Identical certainly gives a window to de-power it as you describe.

Jorick wrote:A son of Apollo shouldn't get warlock powers. He should be a healer/artist/warrior/magician (to the extent that magic is very much a scholarly knowledge).

He's a god of the sun, has a dad who was a dual-class air/water warlock, and a half-brother who's a fire warlock, and has pyrokinesis, so a son of his getting some fire warlock powers isn't that horrible an idea.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

So a son of Thor could gain a free Summon storm ability?
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Or maybe just summon rain without the wind, since 'similar' but not identical, and going with 'similar-but-weaker' seems more what a demi should be as opposed to similar-but-better even though that's the path Herakles seemed to go, possibly Magni, not sure who Magni's mom is though.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

say652 wrote:So a son of Thor could gain a free Summon storm ability?

Or maybe they just gain the spell Thunderclap useable at will
Or maybe they know the spell Call Lightning even though they are not a magic user
Or maybe they get W.P. Blunt as a bonus skill
Or.......
There are lots of options, nothing is fixed. This is one of the major areas where a GM is going to be needed.

Devjannz
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Devjannz »

I have a character who is a Demi-God/Atlantean son of Hermes from the UWW world of Alexandria. He has the Magic Power option (Chose the Ley Line Rifter from RUE) and the GM gave him the power Extraordinary Speed to represent the power he gained from his father. He is a Galactic Tracer who specializes in tracking people who escape into other dimensions (using the Teleportational Hitchhiking ability of the LLR).
"Hurry, were running out of time!"

"Cannot run out of time. There is infinite time. You are finite; Zathras is finite; This....is wrong tool.

Susan Ivonnova and Zathras, Babylon 5 'War Without End'
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Golden God

Unread post by Misfit KotLD »

I read that as getting the one listed power. But the RAW are less than helpful.
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
You're going to hell...you do realize this...no? - Shadyslug
The Home of the Munchkin Fairy
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

When it comes to my playing, I try to err on the side of the "more interesting" approach. Thus, having a power that seems associated with one's godly parent seems appropriate, but I'd prefer something that either doesn't have direct combat applications or is a bit more quirky than a straight-up godly smiting. For instance, if Zeus is your daddy, then the extra power might allow the character to call lightning at will, but only during a storm.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

When we played, I don't remember ever having a demi-god start with an extra power, but I do remember the GM occasionally having something manifest during play.
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

I reread this and yes they get the extra power, but that power could be anything the player and GM agree upon. This might also be one of the priest powers listed in the same book. I am writing up a pantheon so this is very interesting to me.
Gamer
Adventurer

Unread post by Gamer »

Godslayer wrote:In the description of the Demigod in Pantheons of the Megaverse, it says they get an extra power from their parent, besides the power they pick from the Godling list. Is what they can pick defined anywhere? Can they pick another power from the godling list? A super power? The powers of another occ?

I've always interpreted it as you get to choose another power on the list with the caveat that it must be similar to a power the god parent has and not just pull one out of your butt.
Dulce bellum inexpertis.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Perhaps the question of interpretation can be resolved by looking at a Demigod N.P.C. as an example. White Raven from Splynn Dimensional Market, has the following powers:
+50% resistance to fire/cold (common to all demigods, according to the text)
+regenerates 1D6*5 M.D.C. per minute (common to all demigods)
+she appears to have selected the "super-tough" ability, as her P.E. base is 4D6, and her P.E. is listed as 32 (Her M.D.C. total seems high, and this would account for that as well)
+Nightvision 800 feet (not on the official list of godling/demigod powers)
+Sense coming of storms within 3D6 minutes (not on the official list of godling/demigod powers)

This seems consistent with the "one power from the list plus one godly-parent-type power" interpretation.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Hadn't noticed her PE before, makes sense though. Thanks....
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.

Return to “Rifts®”