fake bate

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

oger333
Explorer

fake bate

Unread post by oger333 »

fake zombie bate , maybe a device that could generator to put out ppe
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Re: fake bate

Unread post by Tor »

Seems like a lot of trouble to go to, why not just use a baby?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Tor wrote:Seems like a lot of trouble to go to, why not just use a baby?

:demon: And this month's 'Mister Evil Award' goes to....
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
ArmySGT.
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ArmySGT. »

Because you have to wait nine months for a replacement?
dargo83
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by dargo83 »

if any of anyone used a baby as bait in my game they would be shot to death then there corpse burned to ash the the ashes burned
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

dargo83 wrote:if any of anyone used a baby as bait in my game they would be shot to death then there corpse burned to ash the the ashes burned

I question the efficacy of that last step.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

It,s better to use a criminal.
taalismn
Priest

flatline wrote:
dargo83 wrote:if any of anyone used a baby as bait in my game they would be shot to death then there corpse burned to ash the the ashes burned

I question the efficacy of that last step.

--flatline

Should read, the ashes churned, and any ground they fall upon salted(for that true Romans-obliterating-Carthage touch).

Or just dissolve the ashes in a suitable chemical solution, if you want to get technical.

The point being, God ain't going to recognize your remains...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

ArmySGT. wrote:have to wait nine months for a replacement
Do you know how long it takes to get an appointment with a Techno-Wizard in a world without magic? Besides, that's why you just fill up a van full of reserve ammunition.

If this does not occur at least once every 3 sessions then your campaign is boring.

gaby wrote:It,s better to use a criminal.
Why? Criminals are more effective zombie-killers than babies are, and have less PPE to act as more inviting beacons.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
taalismn
Priest

Rappanui wrote:I still prefer the dead baby stapled to the chicken route.

Pray that you don't get zombie animals; I remember one zombie novel where the reanimating agency jumped species...after sea life was affected, when it was discovered that it had finally jumped to birds, the last remaining humans realized they were well and truly ####ed.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
ArmySGT.
Dungeon Crawler

Oh now I have to use it!

And, did I say one baby? Better make it two, just to be sure.
taalismn
Priest

ArmySGT. wrote:

Oh now I have to use it!

And, did I say one baby? Better make it two, just to be sure.

Well, we can kiss that generation on THAT Earth goodbye.....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Dude, that's just wrong.

Dead babies don't have any PPE, they have to be alive to be bait.

Rappanui wrote:In dead reign the Dead or dying baby is a great zombie bait

The only attraction would be the minor amount of PPE the chicken has. As for a dying baby... I dunno, do you put out more PPE while dying than when alive? I'm not sure what the point would be. A living baby would remain an active beacon for a longer period of time.

I'm not even sure the flesh eating ones would be drawn in by a corpse, even though they chew flesh I thought they still wanted PPE.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Rappanui wrote:We all know that the flesh and ppe zombie crap was all KS idea...

The flesh eating zombies stuck out like a sore thumb when I first read the book. They just didn't feel right or seem to fit in with the metaphysics presented. I've considered just ignoring them, but I think I've come up with something better. When a death cult wants to punish or make an example of someone, they perform a ritual on them that turns them into a half living, half dead thing that craves flesh and has enough intelligence to follow the instructions of the death cult. This way a death cult can have a small army of flesh eating zombies whenever I want to up the anti a bit.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Zombie bait: Tie up a group of undesirables (lawyers, politicians etc) in an open area. Shoot one from time to time to get their PPE to burst, doubling in the moment of death to attract a bunch of them. Then firebomb the area when enough arrive.

Or...just tie up the undesirables and leave them for comsumption, whatever. I just like firebombing things.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Rappanui wrote:We all know that the flesh and ppe zombie crap was all KS idea...
I dunno, wasn't it actually based on some Rifter submission? I remember stats for Brulyx and demons and stuff.

flatline wrote:The flesh eating zombies stuck out like a sore thumb when I first read the book.
One explanation for them is that they're like Pattern Zombies, and eating flesh is their pattern.

Since it's instinctive, even vegetarians would regress to their reptilian brain and want delicious protein.

It's like a compulsion... kind of like how vampires don't actually need to drink blood for anything but their sanity.
ScrapDaddy
D-Bee

Unread post by ScrapDaddy »

I'm not aware of anything in Vanilla DR that could generate false PPE. We crossed into Nightbane with our game, so any magic user or supernatural critter is like a freakin Bat Signal to the zeds. that being said, maybe some techno wizard stuff with a PPE battery would do the same? We like to pull stuff from just about any megaverse resource, as long as you don't wind up stomping through the apocalypse in a suit of MDC power armour.
"When fate taps you on the shoulder, You best pay attention. Unfortunately, Fate has that blasted habit of tapping the opposite shoulder, so when you turn, she's on your other side, Giggling like a schoolgirl. I hate that"
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

PPE batteries are probably like people in that they broadcast but can also be insulated not to.

I wonder, for example, without how steel and environmental body armor interfere with spellcasting, if they might also reduce PPE visibility to zombies?
ScrapDaddy
D-Bee

I think that would be a GM call- IMO since they can "see" PPE through buildings and such, the armour wouldn't mask them. The PPE sensing, to me, seems more like an astral sensing deal than physical perception, since the dead don't even have to have eyes to see PPE.
"When fate taps you on the shoulder, You best pay attention. Unfortunately, Fate has that blasted habit of tapping the opposite shoulder, so when you turn, she's on your other side, Giggling like a schoolgirl. I hate that"
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Buildings aren't always environmentally sealed though, I thought that was only if you had an open window to see the PPE through. When there's a wall keeping a zombie from a PPE source doesn't it either have to leak around the sides or else they 'sense' it but don't actually see it?
ScrapDaddy
D-Bee

That's where things get fuzzy for me. We made a house rule that PPE could be sensed at 2d4 meters plus the PC's PPE rating, eyes or no eyes. I believe that PPE is not a physical manifestation and cannot be masked by physical means. Right or wrong, That's what works in my group, but the great thing about these games is that you can do whatever works for your tastes. :)

P.S. HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!!!
CarCrasher
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by CarCrasher »

ArmySGT. wrote:

You could use a farming method! A dozen or so women always pregnant so you don't have to wait the nine months. You would still have to wait for the baby to be born but you would have a more ready supply.
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by whassupman03 »

Hello...

If you really want good bait for zombies, gain the assistance of the local Hound Master to train a pack of dogs in escape-and-evasion tactics to lure zombies into traps. After all, they are very fast, quite agile and in many cases are substantially strong. Zombies will likely catch a chicken, but unless there are a bunch of faster zombies chasing it, dogs will likely lead them right into their nooses before anything bad will come of it. No human flesh (Especially "Baby": The Other Other White Meat... :lol:) is wasted, and if you train the dogs well enough, they will be able to escape to safety when you spring the trap and dispatch them. Besides, dogs can also be trained to defend themselves or their fellow hunters from zombies in a pinch, so they can be used defensively as well if you end up in a bind. This is a good trait since they can not only be bait, but a weapon as well - and anything that can be used for more than one purpose is especially valuable in the post-apocalypse. :-) Just be sure that the Hound Master is not training his prized pooches to die, but rather to help kill zombies - and survive to fight another day. Please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good afternoon.

whassupman03 :mrgreen:
I don't normally kill zombies, but when I do, I use the...

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

CarCrasher wrote:You could use a farming method! A dozen or so women always pregnant so you don't have to wait the nine months. You would still have to wait for the baby to be born but you would have a more ready supply.

I think we should import an Ogre to help with this. If we produce an excess then we have an army of falconers to battle the zombies.
ArmySGT.
Dungeon Crawler

CarCrasher wrote:
ArmySGT. wrote:

You could use a farming method! A dozen or so women always pregnant so you don't have to wait the nine months. You would still have to wait for the baby to be born but you would have a more ready supply.

This is why I want a "Like" button here too.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

How mobile is your tank?
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

I'm taking a shot in the dark here, but has anyone thought of microorganisms that generate P.P.E.? Maybe one can develop a special smoke grenade that emits a cloud of fluorescent microorganisms, which will attract zombies in extremely large quantities. One or two, or even a thousand of these microorganisms would be relatively useless, but a cloud of millions or billions of them would probably do the trick, if one could isolate the microorganism that produces the most P.P.E. It could be used as bait, or a distraction, but either way it might be useful to get the zombies off of your backs. Please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good afternoon.

whassupman03

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

So I've been watching Z-Nation and I am now afraid of zombie babies.

Has Dead Reign given stats for zombie babies? I hope that this is a generic enough idea to not count as conversions to want one.

Lacking anything I'm thinking to use Crawler stats as a guideline, except I think there should be a damage penalty for having small baby teeth, or possibly none at all.
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

Tor wrote:So I've been watching Z-Nation and I am now afraid of zombie babies.

Has Dead Reign given stats for zombie babies? I hope that this is a generic enough idea to not count as conversions to want one.

Lacking anything I'm thinking to use Crawler stats as a guideline, except I think there should be a damage penalty for having small baby teeth, or possibly none at all.

Yep - Z Nation-esque zombie babies are rather creepy. And having your face gnawed off by a zombified baby is not fun. :eek: But anyway, I don't seem to recall stats for Dead Reign equivalents. However, that doesn't mean that they don't exist - I saw a piece of art in one of the early sourcebooks (Either the first or second...) that shows a zombie baby in a crib, though I don't know exactly where, so I reckon that creating one wouldn't count as a conversion. Even so, I'd refer to the mods to make sure. Please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03 8)

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Unread post by ZINO »

taalismn wrote:

:demon: And this month's 'Mister Evil Award' goes to....

well done i fell off the chair again man you rock man!!! lol
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

I always sorta wondered why zombies would try to bite people when head butts seem to do more damage and benefit from the PS attribute...

Aside from causing slow-death via infection... but there isn't much of a benefit from that to a zombie since the PPE would usually be released later on, far off from where they can absorb it.

There is the whole instinctive thing though I guess...

But if biting is instinct does that mean that we should assume zombies will only head-butt if their mouths are taped shut or their jaws are blown off?

It also occurs to me that we might consider biting a 'stabbing' attack which could cause blood loss (like a knife wound or gunshot) which would create a greater benefit to doing it against opponents, since no other HtH attack would have this trait. Blood loss would help compensate for not getting any PS attribute bonuses to biting attacks.

Of course the ultimate attack for zombies it if they wield some kinda weapon, but then you have disarming (the technique, or dismemberment) as a counter-measure, and most zombies don't think to pick up weapons anyway.
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

Tor wrote:I always sorta wondered why zombies would try to bite people when head butts seem to do more damage and benefit from the PS attribute...

Aside from causing slow-death via infection... but there isn't much of a benefit from that to a zombie since the PPE would usually be released later on, far off from where they can absorb it.

There is the whole instinctive thing though I guess...

But if biting is instinct does that mean that we should assume zombies will only head-butt if their mouths are taped shut or their jaws are blown off?

It also occurs to me that we might consider biting a 'stabbing' attack which could cause blood loss (like a knife wound or gunshot) which would create a greater benefit to doing it against opponents, since no other HtH attack would have this trait. Blood loss would help compensate for not getting any PS attribute bonuses to biting attacks.

Of course the ultimate attack for zombies it if they wield some kinda weapon, but then you have disarming (the technique, or dismemberment) as a counter-measure, and most zombies don't think to pick up weapons anyway.

Well I would tend to think that biting is an instinct due to its effectiveness in helping to collect P.P.E. and to turn their victims. Take for example the Average Joe zombie. A shambler like him would usually bite according to instinct because it is an effective way to gain sustenance from P.P.E. But some zombies take it a step further, like the Flesh-Eating Zombie, which not only bites, but eats what he bites into. :eek: I would also reckon that even those with taped mouths or blown-off jaws would still try to bite into people, but because their mouths are ineffective in biting into things, the headbutt would be a sort of accidental action as the zombie may not be smart enough to take off the tape or realize that his jaw is irreparably damaged. :roll: Still, Thinkers, Mock Zombies, and other smarter creatures may very well be able to do so, but instinct may kick in or may not - I wouldn't know - but I'm sure they could come up with better ways other than biting. :? Please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03 8)

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Biting does do more base damage than a head-butt but since PS bonuses are so easy to come by for zombies, Butts end up being better (even a +1 will exceed the Biting-minimum, +2 will match the Biting-average, and +4 will match the Biting-maximum) which is why I think blood-loss for biting (I mean... if a bite can infect you then it must be drawing blood...) would help to make it more appealing.
SittingBull
Hero
Comment: "Its not the destination that matters, its the journey along the way."

Unread post by SittingBull »

ScrapDaddy wrote:I think that would be a GM call- IMO since they can "see" PPE through buildings and such, the armour wouldn't mask them. The PPE sensing, to me, seems more like an astral sensing deal than physical perception, since the dead don't even have to have eyes to see PPE.

Never heard or read about zombies being able to see PPE through buildings.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5
"You don't understand, so you find excuses."
Doctor Who
"Peace has made you weak. Victory has defeated you."
Bane
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Maybe he's thinking windows in them?
SittingBull
Hero

I can see that long as they aren't like boarded up 'solidly'.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
Trent
Explorer

Unread post by Trent »

Tor wrote:
ArmySGT. wrote:have to wait nine months for a replacement
Do you know how long it takes to get an appointment with a Techno-Wizard in a world without magic? Besides, that's why you just fill up a van full of reserve ammunition.

If this does not occur at least once every 3 sessions then your campaign is boring.

gaby wrote:It,s better to use a criminal.
Why? Criminals are more effective zombie-killers than babies are, and have less PPE to act as more inviting beacons.

You are a very offensive person and im sure a terrible game master .
Please Help a Family in Need : http://www.gofundme.com/y27ff9w ,
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

How one rates a GM's quality can depend on how well the type of campaign you want to play conforms to the ideas about the campaign they want to run. I'm not sure 100% of people would disagree with having these sensibilities brought to fruit.

However offensive you find this stuff, it's a stark brutal reality of post-apocalyptic settings, particularly when being preyed upon by things which are sensitive to sound.

It's all well and fun to play Captain Morality when we live our cushy lives, but unless you've lived in a zombie apocalypse, I find it unrealistic to say with 100% certainty that you're sure it wouldn't get to the point where you'd chuck a baby-bomb to save yourself or others you care about.
SittingBull
Hero

Tor wrote:

Dude, that's just wrong.

Dead babies don't have any PPE, they have to be alive to be bait.

Rappanui wrote:In dead reign the Dead or dying baby is a great zombie bait

The only attraction would be the minor amount of PPE the chicken has. As for a dying baby... I dunno, do you put out more PPE while dying than when alive? I'm not sure what the point would be. A living baby would remain an active beacon for a longer period of time.

I'm not even sure the flesh eating ones would be drawn in by a corpse, even though they chew flesh I thought they still wanted PPE.

The dead baby attached to a chicken would work providing nothing else alive and larger around. The zombie baby, sensing something alive (sense zombies will go after animals but PREFER humans), will moan. The chicken, being attached to something unholy unnatural, will run till it collapses and then some more. Any zombies in ear shot will hear the moan and follow the freaking out chicken.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Lacking a zombie baby, a chicken attached to a crawler could have the same effect. Just as long as it's something the chicken can outrun.

Although: would a zombie be smart enough to know to pull on the rope to shorten the distance instead of just chasing? I bet a Thinker could manage it, possibly also a Flesh-eater, just not sure about your standard Sloucher-level IQs. Fast-Attack also seem not smart enough but it's irrelevant as I bet they could outrun any chicken.
Warmaster40k
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Warmaster40k »

Let's be honest babies are worse than useless they are an extreme danger. Not only are they overflowing with ppe, they also are incapable of being quiet. They are in of them selves, the greatest hazard in dead reign, they attract zombies like no one's business, they also contribute nothing, nothing. So sounds horrible but in reality dump the baby, and wait to get to a safe haven and nine months later a new one, in a safe and secured environment that won't get every one killed.
I am the Omega, I am the thread killer, my post is death.
SittingBull
Hero

Warmaster40k wrote:Let's be honest babies are worse than useless they are an extreme danger. Not only are they overflowing with ppe, they also are incapable of being quiet. They are in of them selves, the greatest hazard in dead reign, they attract zombies like no one's business, they also contribute nothing, nothing. So sounds horrible but in reality dump the baby, and wait to get to a safe haven and nine months later a new one, in a safe and secured environment that won't get every one killed.

*Watches the morality plummet out of the sky and crash in a fiery explosion.*
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
Warmaster40k
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Warmaster40k »

SittingBull wrote:
Warmaster40k wrote:Let's be honest babies are worse than useless they are an extreme danger. Not only are they overflowing with ppe, they also are incapable of being quiet. They are in of them selves, the greatest hazard in dead reign, they attract zombies like no one's business, they also contribute nothing, nothing. So sounds horrible but in reality dump the baby, and wait to get to a safe haven and nine months later a new one, in a safe and secured environment that won't get every one killed.

*Watches the morality plummet out of the sky and crash in a fiery explosion.*

Morality is not only subjective, but subject to change at any given time. What's more important to me, one baby, or the survival of an entire group.
I am the Omega, I am the thread killer, my post is death.
SittingBull
Hero

The game is not only about survival but also keeping a hold of your humanity.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Does humanity require prioritizing the well-being of burdens with "may become useful after a decade" status over that of useful contributors?
SittingBull
Hero

I think that's too broad a question in general without knowing the specifics of a/the situation; although I would do everything possible/'in my power' to make the answer come out yes.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

I wonder, with the game having been set months/years after the Wave, would we realistically see any babies out in the field? I feel like anyone tried to protect them and stay in zombie areas would've died. If you did manage to evacuate them, you'd have to keep them in secured communities. Anyone who got pregnant in the field would probably have to find one of these communities or else they'd be sitting ducks when the time for birth came, and leading up to that would progressively be able to do less and less as their mobility was hampered.
SittingBull
Hero

Yes, true.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

Tor wrote:I wonder, with the game having been set months/years after the Wave, would we realistically see any babies out in the field? I feel like anyone tried to protect them and stay in zombie areas would've died. If you did manage to evacuate them, you'd have to keep them in secured communities. Anyone who got pregnant in the field would probably have to find one of these communities or else they'd be sitting ducks when the time for birth came, and leading up to that would progressively be able to do less and less as their mobility was hampered.

I agree with you, for I would think that a lot of women who are pregnant or just experienced their first taste of motherhood would unfortunately pay the ultimate price due to a variety of things, but I would also conceive (No pun intended... :roll:) that a lot of pregnant women and new mothers would be well-protected as long as they are in good hands. You have to remember that five months after the Wave, 20% to 30% of the world's population is still alive and well. And while some would not be among the principled or scrupulous, that comes out of a pre-Wave population of around seven billion, so with a minimum surviving population of around 1.4 billion people there are likely plenty of people who would take these women and their unborn or newborn children in. But anyway, please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03 :mrgreen:

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
SittingBull
Hero

And with proper training, children, would make excellent lures (with or without life sight) to draw zombies away as they are more resistant to spills and accidents, also being more likely to be in the shape to
run for their lives' like children do at times playing. Of course it would be wise to have a small group to cover the lure in case fast movers (if you use those) became involved.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane

Return to “Dead Reign™”