Time travel+ rifting question?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Shadowdragon7
D-Bee

Time travel+ rifting question?

Unread post by Shadowdragon7 »

Hi my gm and I have read that sometimes going through a rift can take you through time. Our campaign starts shortly before the four horseman shows up. And I wanted to bring in a character I have yet to make that is a power armor pilot that has a NG-UELX49 Silent shadow that was accidentally rifted from a few years from the future. We wanted to know if that character will be too overpowered? So far we have two different cats form the robotech world, one is a cyberknight and a mystic, the third ma be a flame panther or a oracle cat priest.

Is the NG Silent Shadow work well?
Lenwen

Re: Time travel+ rifting question?

Unread post by Lenwen »

Shadowdragon7 wrote:Hi my gm and I have read that sometimes going through a rift can take you through time. Our campaign starts shortly before the four horseman shows up. And I wanted to bring in a character I have yet to make that is a power armor pilot that has a NG-UELX49 Silent shadow that was accidentally rifted from a few years from the future. We wanted to know if that character will be too overpowered? So far we have two different cats form the robotech world, one is a cyberknight and a mystic, the third ma be a flame panther or a oracle cat priest.

From what I've gathered from a previous post I created about time traveling games and time travelling books (instead of world books, "time books") many do not have any need / want for that least of those here on the boards, however I personally have played a game, in which time travel was the norm as was normal rift porting.. (I actually incorperated it into the LLW's ability to read portals does this one just move us from point a to point b in same world / time or does it go all 88mph style on us ya know ?
Shadowdragon7
D-Bee

Unread post by Shadowdragon7 »

Lenwen wrote:
Shadowdragon7 wrote:Hi my gm and I have read that sometimes going through a rift can take you through time. Our campaign starts shortly before the four horseman shows up. And I wanted to bring in a character I have yet to make that is a power armor pilot that has a NG-UELX49 Silent shadow that was accidentally rifted from a few years from the future. We wanted to know if that character will be too overpowered? So far we have two different cats form the robotech world, one is a cyberknight and a mystic, the third ma be a flame panther or a oracle cat priest.

From what I've gathered from a previous post I created about time traveling games and time travelling books (instead of world books, "time books") many do not have any need / want for that least of those here on the boards, however I personally have played a game, in which time travel was the norm as was normal rift porting.. (I actually incorperated it into the LLW's ability to read portals does this one just move us from point a to point b in same world / time or does it go all 88mph style on us ya know ?

I just wanted to bring in a character in that has the power armor I wanted and I wanted to know if it will unbalance the campaign?
The NG Silent Shadow come out in 109 PA and isn't the four horsemen show up in 94 PA? I just wanted to go though time once to join the adventurers.
Last edited by Shadowdragon7 on Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Athos
Hero
Comment: Free Missouri, stand up to Apartheid everywhere.

Unread post by Athos »

I don't think it will unbalance the game, but how are you going to repair the armor? It will probably have to be repaired as if it were alien in manufacture since it is from the future and no one has seen it.

The horsemen campaign can get pretty powerful, I don't think you are going to take one down solo if that is what you are worried about. :)
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

It wouldn't bother me.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Didn't the minion war reveal that when the demons were sent to invade earth they accidentally went back in time to Cataclysm?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Satan Lord of Hell
D-Bee

Unread post by Satan Lord of Hell »

In RIFTS: Dinosaur Swamp, a series of unusual portals called the Time Holes open Rifts to other places and times. These are in the northern-central part of Florida and it is implied that they are connected to the reappearance of dinosaurs.

Before I had read about the time-holes I was fairly confident that backwards time-travel was impossible in Rifts (from commentary in the temporal magic section of Rifts: England) - but it is implied that people seek the time holes to travel back in time.
Metaphysics in Rifts: Hell is just a place; Satan is just a dude (he has big muscles).
Mr. Jays
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mr. Jays »

It has always been my belief that entering a rift can put at in any place and any time, as well as, any dimension. You you want to bring a glitter boy to fight against the Third Reich? You can do that. Do you want to travel to another dimension where the Coalition doesn't exist? You can do that. The game was designed to only be limited by your imagination, if you want to bring something from the future to fight the four horseman, then DO IT!
--- author of "All Quiet on the Western.....What?" Rifter 84
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

I don't see why the silent shadow would not work out pretty well its not a real high powered offensive unit and does not have a ton of MDC so its not unbalancing in the time frame at all. The silent shadow is more of a stealth spec ops type power armor so good for what it does but its not a power house in straight combat terms.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Uh where'd the horsemen coming in 94 PA come from?
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Tor wrote:Didn't the minion war reveal that when the demons were sent to invade earth they accidentally went back in time to Cataclysm?

close.. evidently the demons and deevils both tried to invade earth at the time of the cataclysm, but the sheer power and chaotic nature of the ley lines and magic at the time wound up with about half of the invading groups ending up scattered across the megaverse instead.. including some that got flung way back in time to far earlier periods of human history.

(actually just finished reading that part in the book today.. an interesting idea.. and IMO an excuse for 'prehistoric demon attacks' to show up in the lore for BTS..)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
H.P. Hovercraft
Explorer

Unread post by H.P. Hovercraft »

Not a game-breaker at all. But for simplicities sake, why not just have the Horsemen show up in you game in109 PA?

..........or, your character could be a (rogue?) test pilot for the NG-SS who ended up in Africa in 103 PA (when the Horsemen arrived), instead of a time traveller.
..........OOOORRRR, your character arrived in the past with the NG-SS to help take on the Horsemen, only to have his/her arrival in this space/time be the thing that COMPLETELY breaks the Rifts Earth time-continuum, allowing you and your GM to re-establish the world anyway that your group wants...
..................................................................................................................it is Rifts, after all!

Have fun!

Return to “Rifts®”