2015 POH - Dates & Hotel Conference Room

For discussion of the Palladium Open House, both past (May 2006 & May 2007) and possible future Open Houses. Who's going, games you're running or looking to play, etc.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

2015 POH - Dates & Hotel

1) May 1-3, 2015.
37%
2) May 7-10, 2015.
13%
3) I need a Hotel Conference Room for after midnight gaming.
30%
4) I don't need a Hotel Conference Room for after midnight gaming.
19%

Total votes: 67

ffranceschi
Adventurer
Comment: "In Absentia Lucis, Tenebrae Vincunt"
Location: Republic of Cordoba, Silver River Republics (Montevideo, Uruguay)

2015 POH - Dates & Hotel Conference Room

Unread post by ffranceschi »

Kevin wrote:

"Kathy Simmons is investigating hotels and available dates for the 2015 Palladium Open House this week and next. We are probably staying with the same hotel and we’re looking at the dates of April 30, May 1, 2 & 3, 2015. We are also considering May 7-10, 2015 (if available). Our hesitation with May 7-10 being that May 10 is Mother’s Day.

PLEASE give us your input NOW if you prefer one of the above dates over the other. Also, how important is it for you to have a hotel conference room for open gaming after midnight when we close the Palladium warehouse and you have to head back to the hotel? The input of those of you who are likely to attend would be of great value, but we need input right away. Thank you."

Let's vote!
Head of Northern Gun Research and Development

"I'm ready man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State-of-the-badass-art!" - Private Hudson, ALIENS (1986).
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Re: 2015 POH - Dates & Hotel Conference Room

Unread post by Jorel »

Fist weekend is best. Conference room is a necessity.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Being married with kids (as is likely why Jorel picked the same weekend) yeah the first weekend is the better option :ok:
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

Your wrong, but for the right reason. My son was born on Mother's Day in 2009. Which just so happens to be the same date this year...May 10.

"The Devil's among us!
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Close enough. I', not home for Mother's day it would be a COLD COLD COLD few weeks afterward :lol:
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Mother's Day isn't on the 10th of May. It's on the 15th of March! http://www.bankholidaydates.co.uk/Great ... /2015.aspx Silly people. :-D

Anyway, first weekend please. And a conference room. Hendrik needs to fall asleep playing a Juicer again.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
auyl
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by auyl »

I said first weekend and no conference room. That's just my personal preference as I just don't see myself being up past midnight.

I'm old .... I know.
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

I wonder if there isn't a better way to phase it as you may be against a room for yourself, but are you really against it for the others who do want that? I think it is a no brainer that it gets used. There was 2 and both got used last time. Granted 2 may have been unnecessary. 1 is a necessity. There are people who game nonstop and those rooms give a place to meet and keep hanging out. If that weren't an option you'd have to make all plans at the convention or online to meetup in someone's room or an alternate location. This would eliminate the possibility of someone at the hotel being able to find a convenient game after the con is done at the warehouse. Shame on anyone who actually votes no for that, Even if not for your own use, think about the others.

Let us hope enough people respond positively that it is not an issue. I know I'd be pissed if they took that aspect away.

"The Devil's among us!
TagsPB
Explorer

Unread post by TagsPB »

As a convention organizer I would only vote yes for the conference room if the hotel is willing to give it at a reduced rate ( they can get expensive) and we wouldn't be using it during the day so they are likely to add costs to it.

As for dates....I am very busy at the end if May....so the earlier weekend is far better. (May 1-3)
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

First weekend and with room.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

1st with rooms.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Grand Paladin
Adventurer

Unread post by Grand Paladin »

First weekend, and conference room.
"In America the President reigns for four years and journalism governs forever and ever. "
— Oscar Wilde
"I reject your reality and substitue my own!"
— Adam Savage, Mythbusters
ffranceschi
Adventurer
Comment: "In Absentia Lucis, Tenebrae Vincunt"
Location: Republic of Cordoba, Silver River Republics (Montevideo, Uruguay)

Unread post by ffranceschi »

The Galactus Kid wrote:First weekend and with room.

+1.

I am not an expert in polls but it appears that this is the prefered choice. Kevin, take note please!
Head of Northern Gun Research and Development

"I'm ready man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State-of-the-badass-art!" - Private Hudson, ALIENS (1986).
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

ffranceschi wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:First weekend and with room.

+1.

I am not an expert in polls but it appears that this is the prefered choice. Kevin, take note please!

Well no gaming for me after midnight. Need my sleep so I can be awake for all the gaming goodness that will go one during the day. But 1st weekend also.
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

I think you still want a game room, for other people, so they do not disturb your sleep with their late night gaming and antics.

"The Devil's among us!
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

May 1 - 3 + conference room. Even if I end up being too tired to use the conference room I know everybody else will make good use of it and keep all the noise there. :mrgreen:
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

You're planning to go Razz?

\m/
Razzinold
Hero

I would like to go, since it would be my first one, but lots of factors are in play. Need to get a passport before then, have to convince my dad to watch the kids and dog all weekend and to be able to actually afford to go lol
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

Depending on how you are traveling, share expenses can make a huge difference.

"The Devil's among us!
Razzinold
Hero

Jorel wrote:Depending on how you are traveling, share expenses can make a huge difference.

I live 30-45 minutes east of Toronto so I figure I will just drive. As for expenses everything I have to pay out will be double. 2 passports (the wife and I), two tickets to open house, twice the amount of food, etc.

We have a small car so at least it shouldn't cost us too much fuel wise. According to mapquest.ca from my front door to their front door is 5 hours and 13 minutes if I take I-94W or 5 hours and 14 minutes if it take 196W. The I-94 route is 476.08 KM and the I-96 route is 458.43 but apparently is 1 minute slower, lol
I've driven to Montreal before and it's actually a little further from my place to there than my place to the Palladium offices.

Any suggestions on the route I should take ?
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

I don't know about route, but I can relate as my wife will be there as well. What should have been a 6 hour drive in May took us 10 hours and a big part of that hassle was Chicago. We do take 94 for a good part of it as we are travelin from Wisconsin. Still you'll have the benefit of a room for the 2 of you and that in itself is kinda nice. Sure it is nice to save money, but when you want peace of mind it is great to have your own space.

"The Devil's among us!
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Razz - Basically it's about 25 minutes from the Ambassador bridge so actual routes are all going to be about the same. Be more important about the Hotel you are at etc.

\m/
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

Here is the Hotel they used the past couple times and the one they suggested using again. The Comfort Inn in Plymouth, MI. I believe it is also called the Clocktower, could be wrong on that last part though.

"The Devil's among us!
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Yeah that would look about right.

And as I said about 25 minutes or so once you get off the bridge and onto the interstate etc.

Just have to watch though as the area can be a bit confusing if you've never been through there before. It's been a while for me and I'd have to watch it as well as I always crossed in a truck not a personal vehicle and I know there was a lot of work done over the last 5-6 years all around the bridge and what not.

\m/
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. I already voted, but in the interest of being open/honest... I voted May 1-3, mainly because I think Mother's Day will mean more to my girl and her family. I also said I do NOT need the conference room, because the question was stated for personal preference. I'll be with my fiance (should be wife by then) and not sure she'll want to be up that late (though she can be an insomniac so who knows), and I can't stay up super late myself (I can do maybe 1 or 2am, but one or two hours isn't enough to warrant a conference room for the whole night... and again the poll question said "I").

I have no problem with their being a conference room for others though. In fact, I thought it was a pretty cool feature. However if having that conference room will cause problems for the actual Open House, I'd do without it in a heartbeat. So if the choice is Open House or conference room, I pick the Open House emphatically. I'm also struggling with money some. So if the conference room will result in paying more (and that does have to be paid for, even if we don't see it on our end), I'd again say no in favor of the Open House.

That's of course just my opinion. Farewell and safe journeys to all.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Well being as I'll be coming from not much farther away and almost the exact same route as Razz....You can't avoid Detroit to get to Palladium unfortunately though you can, and I may very well do this to avoid the 20 minute, 3 mile drive through Windsor to teh bridge (must 18 traffic lights off the freeway to the bridge oye), take another freeway partway between Toronto and Windsor and cross from Sarnia to Pt Huron. The trip itself isn;t any longer reall (1km and 1 minute according to google maps) will likely be a smoother trip overall and you don;t have to deal with border agents at North America's busiest land crossing. From Pt Huron you just head down I-94 towards Detroit and then take a couple of dog legs when you get near the city and ban you;re there.

\m/
Razzinold
Hero

jaymz wrote:Well being as I'll be coming from not much farther away and almost the exact same route as Razz....You can't avoid Detroit to get to Palladium unfortunately though you can, and I may very well do this to avoid the 20 minute, 3 mile drive through Windsor to teh bridge (must 18 traffic lights off the freeway to the bridge oye), take another freeway partway between Toronto and Windsor and cross from Sarnia to Pt Huron. The trip itself isn;t any longer reall (1km and 1 minute according to google maps) will likely be a smoother trip overall and you don;t have to deal with border agents at North America's busiest land crossing. From Pt Huron you just head down I-94 towards Detroit and then take a couple of dog legs when you get near the city and ban you;re there.

Yeah those were pretty much the options I was taking about. I-96W meant crossing at Detroit and I-94W meant a bit of a detour. According to map quest it was longer (km/mi) wise but actually like 1 or 2 minutes faster. lol
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Yeah that is because you don't have to go through Windsor. You get off the 401 and drive through winsor and traffic lights etc. You take the 402 over to sarnia and you drive right up to the bridge and then right off the bridge back on to a freeway.

Either way i think you need to get on I-96 but that is the end game to get to palladium.....

If it ends up you are going, whether I go or not, I'll gladly help you plan the route.

\m/
Grug
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Grug »

Nightfactory wrote:Q. How far is the hotel from the airport?

Around 30 min. But it's Michigan and it could turn into an hour during rush hour...or more.
If you know your enemy and know yourself your victory will not stand in doubt. -Sun Tzu
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -Kosh
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Rifts is a framework, if you don't like part of it don't use it.

Unread post by FatherMorpheus »

Hotel closer to venue is better than closer to airport. The airport is in a scketchy section of Detroit, and that is saying something.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Nightfactory wrote:
Grug wrote:
Nightfactory wrote:Q. How far is the hotel from the airport?

Around 30 min. But it's Michigan and it could turn into an hour during rush hour...or more.

Cool. Thanks for the info. I ask because I'll probably have to take a cab to the hotel.

Depending on when you get in, there are a number of people that will either be going to the same place or if you ask nicely, might be able to come get you.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
mumah
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: Attacking gazeebos since 1883!

Unread post by mumah »

Yeah, you won't have to waste money on a cab. You'll have problem getting there.
"I remember your work." -Amy "The Unicorn" Ashbaugh
"What a talented schmoe." -Brian Manning
"Someday I'll be half as cool as Mumah." -Brian Manning
"Apollo Okamura drove here across the Atlantic from Japan." -Sarah Aten
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Rifts is a framework, if you don't like part of it don't use it.

Unread post by FatherMorpheus »

If you arrange it, there are people who might have rental cars so you could get a ride with them. That would go for to and from the hotel to the warehouse as well. Heck, depending on costs of cabs, getting a rental car for 3 days might be cheaper than a cab ride to and from.
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

FatherMorpheus wrote:If you arrange it, there are people who might have rental cars so you could get a ride with them. That would go for to and from the hotel to the warehouse as well. Heck, depending on costs of cabs, getting a rental car for 3 days might be cheaper than a cab ride to and from.

Plus, if you have multi people using that car, you can split the cost, making it ever chipper.
Razzinold
Hero

Alpha 11 wrote:
FatherMorpheus wrote:If you arrange it, there are people who might have rental cars so you could get a ride with them. That would go for to and from the hotel to the warehouse as well. Heck, depending on costs of cabs, getting a rental car for 3 days might be cheaper than a cab ride to and from.

Plus, if you have multi people using that car, you can split the cost, making it ever chipper.

I could definitely see how having some like minded people along for the ride would make the atmosphere in the car a lot more positive/happy :wink: :lol:
Scott Gibbons
Palladium Books® Staff

Unread post by Scott Gibbons »

The past two Open Houses I've given rides to other gamers back and forth between the hotel and Palladium's warehouse, and even to and from the airport and train station. It was a pleasure, as the awesome atmosphere of the OH carried right into the trips back and forth. And of course the people I gave rides to were awesome! I'd highly recommend anyone able to do so share a ride with others. :ok:

Looks like for this one coming up my wife and I (and possibly our son) will be flying up, which would mean a rental car when we got there, so I'd be willing to give rides again - time permitting. I'm currently working on an idea for a series of interconnected adventures that would run consecutively throughout the OH, so time might be a very real limiting factor.
A wise man once said, "Only a fool takes offense where none was intended." I repeat this good advice to myself at least once a day.

Calm, reasoned discourse is the best way to change minds; too bad all the calm & reason in the world can't open a willfully closed mind.

Return to “Palladium Open House”