Rifters and canon

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Kagashi
Champion

Rifters and canon

Unread post by Kagashi »

Okay, so we all know Rifters are by default non-canon. Additionally, some official text appears in Rifters when things get cut from a book and PB still wants it to see print (like Bio Borgs in Rifter 9), but it specifically states it is Official, making it canon.

But my question is, why in Rifter 62 p 37 is the Dark Magic article listed as "Official"? Why the quotes? That seems to indicate that is really isn't official. But then why even mention it if it really isn't canon since everything by default is non-canon?

So, do we have new official Necromancy spells or not?
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Re: Rifters and canon

Unread post by jaymz »

Call it a tying error that wasn't caught. If it says official, regardless of "" I;d call it canon.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

I wouldn't read too much into a pair of quote marks. I doubt it was intended to convey a specific, but unspecified, meaning.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Kagashi wrote:Okay, so we all know Rifters are by default non-canon. Additionally, some official text appears in Rifters when things get cut from a book and PB still wants it to see print (like Bio Borgs in Rifter 9), but it specifically states it is Official, making it canon.

But my question is, why in Rifter 62 p 37 is the Dark Magic article listed as "Official"? Why the quotes? That seems to indicate that is really isn't official. But then why even mention it if it really isn't canon since everything by default is non-canon?

So, do we have new official Necromancy spells or not?

Because Palladium has to ensure that every subject they write about has something in it that either contradicts itself, isn't exactly clear, doesn't work right when used in conjunction with something else, or just plain doesn't make sense.
Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

jaymz wrote:Call it a tying error that wasn't caught. If it says official, regardless of "" I;d call it canon.

Nice response :D Presumably your typing errors are deliberate ;)
And if... somone whipped out a mini gun. We run and hide. lol.

Now.. some guys won't... and you can say nice things at their funeral. "He was a brave soul.... if stupid.. he didn't take cover when the guy whipped out the mini gun on us that day.. but his blood-fountaining corpse did give us a chance to sneak around and clonk the machine gunner on the head with a rock. Rest in Pieces.... Swiss Cheese Man.....

Pepsi Jedi
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Eclipse wrote:
jaymz wrote:Call it a tying error that wasn't caught. If it says official, regardless of "" I;d call it canon.

Nice response :D Presumably your typing errors are deliberate ;)

Nope not deliberate but I think I was on my phone when I typed it :)
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

Ah, I thought you were being ironic :D
And if... somone whipped out a mini gun. We run and hide. lol.

Now.. some guys won't... and you can say nice things at their funeral. "He was a brave soul.... if stupid.. he didn't take cover when the guy whipped out the mini gun on us that day.. but his blood-fountaining corpse did give us a chance to sneak around and clonk the machine gunner on the head with a rock. Rest in Pieces.... Swiss Cheese Man.....

Pepsi Jedi
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I think using "Official" instead of official is just so that the label stands out.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
MaxxSterling
Adventurer
Comment: I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...

Unread post by MaxxSterling »

Even though it might not be "official" or official, my stance was always, if a company is going to publish a periodical with content for their own games, whether it is free-lance or not, it is canon...

To say otherwise is simply moronic. By stating that "Rifters" are not canon, that is placing their publication on the same playing field as these forums and any random website or house rules that you hear about. Since someone has to approve these articles and rules options before print, then someone is saying, "I approve this to be used in my game." And if that approval of use, is not "official" or official, then what the heck is?

That is of course my opinion, but I feel a very valid one. So, I treat them all as canon, even the stupid ones.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Well they do make distinctions between what they consider canon material and just fanon, but certainly if it says it's what Palladium considers official just like they treat Rifts: Japan as official then if one is all about making those distinctions then one really has to accept what Palladium says is official updated material whether it's in a Rifter or a different book.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Kagashi wrote: why in Rifter 62 p 37 is the Dark Magic article listed as "Official"? Why the quotes?

Just to mess with your "head."
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

And Kev "tends" to like to "over use" "quotation marks" to "stress" when things are "important" even "when" they're "not important". It's either "that", or "he" uses italics.

8p
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
Levi
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Location: Lost in a dream world with the occasional nightmare of what might be reality.

Unread post by Levi »

I don't really understand all of the hang up on whether anything printed anywhere in a game book, Rifter, these forums, or any fan site is canon or not comes from. I treat it all the same, if I like, I use it my games. If I don't like I don't use it. Or, I tweak it so it will work for me and my group. I honestly tweak, ignore, and modify pretty much everything that is canon anyway.

Why does it really matter if it is canon or not?
As a man's shadow follows his footsteps wherever he goes, so will destruction pursue those who commit evil deeds.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Levi wrote:I don't really understand all of the hang up on whether anything printed anywhere in a game book, Rifter, these forums, or any fan site is canon or not comes from. I treat it all the same, if I like, I use it my games. If I don't like I don't use it. Or, I tweak it so it will work for me and my group. I honestly tweak, ignore, and modify pretty much everything that is canon anyway.

Some people are very rigid and think that for some reason they have to adhere to every single word but only if it's 'official', i.e. Word Of God. If it's not God's word then it's somehow wrong (perhaps because you aren't playing the game how they feel the writer/creator intended it to be played) so they relentlessly scrutinize things and the first thing they want to know is if something is canon as they dismiss and reject non-canon stuff without consideration.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

By default Rifter stuff is "Optional" canon. (There are three levels: non-canon, optional canon, and canon)

In the ealyer Rifters there are Q&A sections which are in the book are unmarked as Official, but have been changed to "Official" with in the Rifter Index in the Rifter forum.

(R62) The "" are probibly a "attention" "getter" for those that tend to skim things.

The Beast wrote:Because Palladium has to ensure that every subject they write about has something in it that either contradicts itself, isn't exactly clear, doesn't work right when used in conjunction with something else, or just plain doesn't make sense.

PB checking things to see if new rules conflict with other rules....*:lol: & shakes head* Things slip through...a lot. These slip ups cause a lot of arguments.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Levi wrote:I don't really understand all of the hang up on whether anything printed anywhere in a game book, Rifter, these forums, or any fan site is canon or not comes from. I treat it all the same, if I like, I use it my games. If I don't like I don't use it. Or, I tweak it so it will work for me and my group. I honestly tweak, ignore, and modify pretty much everything that is canon anyway.

What is and is not canon though can make discussions on a given topic easier, if everyone is on the same page so to speak in discussions. Individuals may have their own respective "canon", but for interaction with others it does help to have that common frame of reference.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

ShadowLogan wrote:

What is and is not canon though can make discussions on a given topic easier, if everyone is on the same page so to speak in discussions. Individuals may have their own respective "canon", but for interaction with others it does help to have that common frame of reference.

THIS a hundred percent. It allows the question of 'Can X do Y' to be asked. If everyone is using the same rules to make the conclusions (canon) then they can all come to a similar answer (or not :P). This eliminates confusion about stuff like
"hey can I do this"
"sure you can my house rule says sure"
"uhhh but the books say no"
"..."
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Outside of convention games and some forum discussions, what does it matter if something is canon?

It has always been my experience that players and GMs bring in what they like and ignore material they don't like.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Canon is very important because it provides a common reference, especially in a modern setting where games are played not at physical tables rolling physical dice anymore, but on the internet in chat rooms, message boards, and email inboxes. Canon allows the GM to *know* that others playing on the same field; in an environment where the GM's book with his scribbles and notes on what he likes and what he doesnt is not necessarily the same book his player on the other side of the world is using. Canon provides a common reference point that GMs and players alike can build a relationship from, as opposed to that traditional group of gamers who meet every Saturday to play 8-12 hours a weekend for the past 10 years since high school and have altered the rules over time. Lets face it, rarely do online games last as long as traditional gamer groups do/did. Canon is the reset button when you form a new group. Without having to rewrite an entirely new rule book, a GM can simply decree that all canon material is the final authority. If the GM needs to make exceptions from there, he can, but with minimal writing, instead of rewriting all the material everybody paid money for already.

Additionally, I find your example as a cop out. Please understand this is simply a reply to why canon matters (to me). I understand that others have different points of view. This one is just mine. I view the "if you like it, use it; if you dont like it, change it" train of thought to be a lazy answer from the authors; It shows lack of commitment, lack of attention to detail, and lack of continuity.

Also, I shouldn't have to tweak things to make them work. They should just work.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

This, :D
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

Kagashi wrote:Canon is very important because it provides a common reference, especially in a modern setting where games are played not at physical tables rolling physical dice anymore, but on the internet in chat rooms, message boards, and email inboxes. Canon allows the GM to *know* that others playing on the same field; in an environment where the GM's book with his scribbles and notes on what he likes and what he doesnt is not necessarily the same book his player on the other side of the world is using. Canon provides a common reference point that GMs and players alike can build a relationship from, as opposed to that traditional group of gamers who meet every Saturday to play 8-12 hours a weekend for the past 10 years since high school and have altered the rules over time. Lets face it, rarely do online games last as long as traditional gamer groups do/did. Canon is the reset button when you form a new group. Without having to rewrite an entirely new rule book, a GM can simply decree that all canon material is the final authority. If the GM needs to make exceptions from there, he can, but with minimal writing, instead of rewriting all the material everybody paid money for already.

Additionally, I find your example as a cop out. Please understand this is simply a reply to why canon matters (to me). I understand that others have different points of view. This one is just mine. I view the "if you like it, use it; if you dont like it, change it" train of thought to be a lazy answer from the authors; It shows lack of commitment, lack of attention to detail, and lack of continuity.

Also, I shouldn't have to tweak things to make them work. They should just work.

Particularly the underlined. If i have to re-write everything you've done - why am i buying your product? You should sell me a working product, not bad, poorly edited drek that constantly contradicts itself because there's no writers bible and no real editing process.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:If i have to re-write everything you've done - why am i buying your product?

I buy them for the ideas. The system is almost irrelevant to me except as point of reference to try to infer the author's intent.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.

Return to “Rifts®”