Assumed Pre-requisite Skills for OCC Skills

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Re: Assumed Pre-requisite Skills for OCC Skills

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Yeah, this has been a bit odd for me too. Like the MoS for the merc soldiers, you can get your MD as a medic but it doesn't say you need to prerequisites, or it does? Pretty confusing.

HAhaha, sorry, you were looking for answers not agreement. :P
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Grand Paladin
Adventurer

Unread post by Grand Paladin »

Christopher Booth wrote:I apologize if this has been answered previously, but I missed it. I was able to track down some general info in the archived FAQ, which answered a lot, but not enough

According to RUE PG 299 and an archived FAQ (If an OCC/RCC/MOC skill has a pre-requisite, the character is assumed to have those pre-requisite skills.

Prime example: CS Tech officer, Robotics MOS (RUE pg 236) actually has an entire skill TREE that is not listed (Robot Electronics, requiring Electrical Engineer, which in turn requires Advanced Math)

Question 1) What/Where are the rules for the percentages? Base skill only? Per-level adjustments? Skill bonuses? (IE if the pre-requisite skill falls under one of the OCC skills or OCC related skill categories that receives a bonus.

Question 2) Do these assumed skills count towards pre-requisites for other skills? (The assumed Mechanical engineer, for Robot Mechanics, allowing Weapons engineer to be chosen as MOS)

Question 1: The rule of thumb that I would use is, if the OCC has a skill bonus for the requisite skill category, add that to the requisite skill and the skill progresses per the standard advancement for that skill.

Question 2: Yes.
"In America the President reigns for four years and journalism governs forever and ever. "
— Oscar Wilde
"I reject your reality and substitue my own!"
— Adam Savage, Mythbusters
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

#1 Yes, if the OCC/PCC/RCC/MOS skill has a pre-requ that is not stated in the skills list then the char gets that (or One of) pre-requ skill. At Base % + IQ bonus if any, +the skill's normal level up bonus. (i.e.: no bonus % from class/specialty skill set.)

#2 Yes.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Grimlock
Explorer

Unread post by Grimlock »

Has anyone ever considered replacing a skill missing prerequisites with another, perhaps more appropriate, skill?

The Spacer O.C.C. from Phase World is supposed to have the Spaceship Mechanics skill without any prerequisites. I've always imagined that the Basic Mechanics skills, which was introduced sometime AFTER Phase World was published, made more sense, only adapted to the Phase World environment to include repairs on most systems found on a spaceship; perhaps a hybrid skill called "Basic Spaceship Mechanics".

In terms of the Medic MOS for the Merc Soldier O.C.C., I think I have an easy fix:
The line that states "Pathology (+10%) OR Chemistry (+10%)" should be changed to "Pathology (+10%) AND Chemistry (+10%)", since Chemistry is a prerequisite for Pathology anyway. That leaves Literacy as the only missing prerequisite skill for Medical Doctor; replace "Brewing (+5%)" with "Literacy: Native (+5%)" and you're set. I mean: Why would Brewing even be a part of Medic MOS package? When is a Merc going to be hiding behind cover, pinned by gunfire, and decide to make lemonade? :P

Thoughts?
I gave my wife 5 rules for decorating our place: No Bows, No Pink, No Flowers, No Birds, and No Unicorns.
I later found out Unicorns are Mega Damage.
Now there are 4 rules.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:#1 Yes, if the OCC/PCC/RCC/MOS skill has a pre-requ that is not stated in the skills list then the char gets that (or One of) pre-requ skill. At Base % + IQ bonus if any, +the skill's normal level up bonus. (i.e.: no bonus % from class/specialty skill set.)

#2 Yes.

I would respectfully disagree and allow the player to use half the skill bonus for the master skill for all prerequisites. *shrugs* Since there is, as far as I know, no canon on this we just have to infer. I figure that you will be good (half bonus) at the basics of your work, and really good (full bonus) at the specifics of it. Mileage may vary. *shrugs*
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Eashamahel
Hero

Unread post by Eashamahel »

I've always thought a good solution was to give that pre-requisite skill the same bonus as it would have gotten had it been selected as an OCC Related Skill. The Operator actually has about the same issues as the CS Tech character, where he has several un-listed mechanical skills that he needs as pre-requisites. If he is just given them as OCC skills, they are lower percentage than if he were to have selected them as Related Skills, where he gets a bonus to mechanical skills.

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”