Will there be a Robotech-Voltron Crossover RPG?

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

rtsurfer
Adventurer

Will there be a Robotech-Voltron Crossover RPG?

Unread post by rtsurfer »

Has there been any talk of Palladium, HG, & WEP doing a RPG for the Robotech-Voltron comic crossover that's supposed to come out in November?

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=46671

http://geek-news.mtv.com/2013/07/17/sdc ... interview/
"rtsurfer's two cent..." ;O)

taalismn
Priest

Re: Will there be a Robotech-Voltron Crossover RPG?

Unread post by taalismn »

rtsurfer wrote:Has there been any talk of Palladium, HG, & WEP doing a RPG for the Robotech-Voltron comic crossover that's supposed to come out in November?

Okay, that dull concussive report you just heard was my head exploding.

I just think a Robotech/Voltron xover is a BAD idea...with EITHER team.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

taalismn wrote:
rtsurfer wrote:Has there been any talk of Palladium, HG, & WEP doing a RPG for the Robotech-Voltron comic crossover that's supposed to come out in November?

Okay, that dull concussive report you just heard was my head exploding.

I just think a Robotech/Voltron xover is a BAD idea...with EITHER team.

Tal is NOT a Voltron fan... a Go-Lion V / Daiurger 15 fan on the other hand?... who knows.
But I agree on the opinion; Robotech, though run on plant juice [size=85](untill the recent Tommy-boy retconning of the franchise)[/size] is mostly hard-TECH oriented, while Voltron could best be thought of as Magitech / TW.

Also the two settings are mutually exclusive. NO points of congruence.
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
taalismn
Priest

DhAkael wrote:[

Also the two settings are mutually exclusive. NO points of congruence.

Forced together like a trainload of propane and a trainload of chlorine.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Kind of like Macross, Southern Cross and MOSPEADA.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
taalismn
Priest

Alrik Vas wrote:Kind of like Macross, Southern Cross and MOSPEADA.

Space Mice, Alrik, SPACE MICE...that alone's enough to condemn Voltron...or drive it into the arms of Macross 7.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

You know...i want to see the episodes of Macross 7 when Millia pilots her old VF-1. Any idea which ones those are?
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Arnie100
Knight

Unread post by Arnie100 »

Oh, God... :nh:
They can't see me...Right!?
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

'scuse me for this, but...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay, now that I got that out of my system...

Are you serious? Are you really, honest-and-truly serious? I mean, it's been obvious for a LONG time that Robotech's circling the drain, and Harmony Gold's flailing around for anything (cheap) they can do to save it... but this is a legendarily bad idea even by Robotech's standards. This is some Plan 9 from Outer Space-grade BS right here, man. Even mindless fanservice games like Super Robot Wars have a hard-ish time justifying running super robots and real robots side-by-side, and those are borrowing from titles with decent writing that actually sell... the polar opposite of Robotech and Voltron.

Seriously. Robotech and Voltron? I don't even have a word for what that is. Jumping the shark doesn't really work for screw-ups of this magnitude.

This is jumping roughly ALL THE SHARKS, forever.

This is jumping every shark throughout the 4.5 billion year history of life on Earth... simultaneously.

Also, the sharks are on fire, because why the hell not?

Please tell Tommy that his April Fools joke is a few months late, and that it's in supremely poor taste. I've watched a lot of anime and (recently) read a fair few comic books. I've seen a lot of bad ideas over the years, a lot of abject stupidity that never should've been committed to print or celluloid or digital memory. This is among the worst things I've ever heard of... this is such a bad idea that I'm not sure I'd actually be able to read it if it came out, and I was able to soldier through awful garbage like Angel Links and Strike Witches and hardly ever had to mace myself or bleach my hands to atone for it...

(If this is actually a thing... a really legitimate thing that is actually happening... Tommy may be well on his way to dethroning the legendary Carl Macek as the Ed Wood of Anime.)
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Alrik Vas wrote:You know...i want to see the episodes of Macross 7 when Millia pilots her old VF-1. Any idea which ones those are?

Episode 14 and the few after that... I forget how long before Gamlin wrecks it.

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Unread post by ZINO »

Spoiler:
Dynamite Entertainment proudly announces that they have acquired the rights to publish comic books based on the beloved science fiction anime, Robotech®. In a unique sub-licensing arrangement with DC Entertainment and with the Harmony Gold USA, Dynamite Entertainment will publish a new series beginning with a Robotech / Voltron crossover event. This crossover marks the first time uniting the popular Robotech cast with the five lions of Voltron, a fan-favorite World Events Production property.

The Robotech series debuted in 1985, an adaptation combining concepts from three Japanese anime series (Super Dimension Fortress Macross, Genesis Climber Mospeada, and Super Dimension Century Southern Cross) into a new, cohesive narrative. It followed three generations of Earth soldiers who salvaged and repurposed alien technology in combat against consecutive extraterrestrial invasions, and was animated by the renowned animation studio Tatsunoko Production Co.

Voltron, based on the story of five robotic lions piloted by a team of brave space explorers that combine to form a mighty metallic hero, launched in the U.S. in September of 1984 and quickly became a #1 rated animated series that will celebrate its 30th Anniversary in 2014.

"Robotech and Voltron are two of the most recognizable anime series that defined '80s pop culture," says Tommy Yune, creative director at Harmony Gold and mastermind behind the upcoming crossover. "Both franchises have endured in their popularity today and fans have long speculated of an epic crossover between the universes. The opportunity to do so is an honor, and it's a welcome challenge to construct a storyline that works well with key characters on both sides. Most important of all, it's going to be a lot of fun with plenty of surprises."

"Robotech is one of the finest intellectual properties ever to come out of Japan, and we are so very fortunate to be able to contribute to its legacy of thrilling science fiction action and drama," says Nick Barrucci, CEO/Publisher of Dynamite Entertainment. "We're also thankful to have such great partners on the Robotech journey, DC Comics and Harmony Gold, and joining us in this incredible first-ever crossover with Classic Media's Voltron. We've published Voltron for years, and this is definitely rewarding to place the two fan-favorite universes together."

"Skyscraper-sized robots and city-crushing monsters are no strangers to the Dynamite gang, thanks to our fine experience with the Voltron license," adds Barrucci. "We've been the proud home to Voltron since 2011, and I think our talented creators and editorial staff really balanced the science fiction and space fantasy elements of that franchise with the human story of its pilots. We're very excited to continue the adventures of the Five Lions and the Voltron Force pilots as part of the crossover penned by Tommy Yune, and recapture the very best qualities of our previous Voltron series in this exciting new venture. Robotech / Voltron is a fan's dream, one we're thrilled to add to our line of comics!"

The new Robotech / Voltron team-up adds additional content to Dynamite's existing Voltron projects, published as two series thus far and expanding the mythos licensed from World Events Productions. The first-ever pairing of these two giant animated properties is expected to attract huge media and fan attention in time for Voltron's 30th Anniversary. A new Robotech series will follow in the wake of the crossover.

The appreciation for the original Robotech television series, its comic spin-offs, and expansive universe of additional content runs deep at Dynamite, as evidenced by the passionate reflections of Joe Rybandt, the company's Senior Editor. "Every day after school, I would watch Robotech and I loved it. LOVED IT. Probably for a lot of the same reasons that I loved Claremont's Uncanny X-Men, in that it was soap opera mixed with incredible action and excitement. Also, it was my first introduction to episodic television starring giant robots and, y'know, GIANT ROBOTS. I've gone back to the show every now and again, and still find it a rewarding experience, filled with great characters and amazing design. And now, here I sit, getting ready to set a new course with the comics."

About Dynamite Entertainment:
Dynamite was founded in 2004 and is home to several best-selling comic book titles and properties, including The Boys, The Shadow, Vampirella, Warlord of Mars, Bionic Man, A Game of Thrones, and more. Dynamite owns and controls an extensive library with over 3,000 characters (which includes the Harris Comics and Chaos Comics properties), such as Vampirella, Pantha, Evil Ernie, Smiley the Psychotic Button, Chastity, Purgatori, and Peter Cannon: Thunderbolt. In addition to their critically-acclaimed titles and bestselling comics, Dynamite works with some of the most high profile creators in comics and entertainment, including Kevin Smith, Alex Ross, John Cassaday, Garth Ennis, Jae Lee, Marc Guggenheim, Mike Carey, Jim Krueger, Greg Pak, Brett Matthews, Matt Wagner, and a host of up-and-coming new talent. Dynamite is consistently ranked in the upper tiers of comic book publishers and several of their titles - including Alex Ross and Jim Krueger's Project Superpowers - have debuted in the Top Ten lists produced by Diamond Comics Distributors. In 2005, Diamond awarded the company a GEM award for Best New Publisher and another GEM in 2006 for Comics Publisher of the Year (under 5%) and again in 2011. The company has also been nominated for and won several industry awards, including the prestigious Harvey and Eisner Awards.

About World Events Productions:
St. Louis-based World Events Productions, Ltd. (WEP) has produced and distributed children's animation for over 25 years. WEP is the IP holder for shows including: Voltron, Defender the of the Universe, Voltron: The Third Dimension, Denver the Last Dinosaur and Vytor the Starfire Champion, among others. WEP is a Koplar Communications company. Follow Voltron on Twitter at @Voltron and on Facebook/VoltronOfficial. For more information visit http://www.wep.com and http://www.voltron.com.

SDCC 2013: Tommy Yune Brings All The Giant Robots Together In 'Robotech/Voltron' [EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW]/........ oh god FUNNY!!!

Robotech-Voltron Crossover RPG? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :l

ok now thats out of me (fell of the chair ) how in god robotech name did this happen right .... a joke right

oh god NO!!!!!!!!!!!
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
taalismn
Priest

On the other hand, if you had a Robotech adventurer team kill EVERYBODY in both Voltron teams, napalm a village of Smurfs(not the ones around Alpha Centuri), and wipe out a herd of Ponies, you might get some attention in the niche-markets. :twisted:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
rtsurfer
Adventurer

SuperVF Lion, Lotor, & Space Pirate Roy

I wonder if the VF-1s will have swords? I want to see Breetai riding a Robeast, if there are Zentraedi in this universe :D

taalismn
Priest

It's NOT going to be a battle of intellectual titans, that's for sure....

:"Let's decide to use the genocidal scorched-earth weapon we haven't even tested yet on our own homeworld while we send the only reliable source of the power source our organization and civilization runs on out to observe the test in a remote location!"
vs.
"Let's not use 'Blazing Sword' FIRST because we apparently like getting punched around for ten minutes."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Seto Kaiba
Knight

Well ladies and gents, if you ever wanted to know what it looks like when a franchise hits rock-bottom, now you know.

I'm not quite sure what's goin' on with the space elf's pose there, but dear god that looks stupid as hell. I really, profoundly hope for Robotech's sake that this bad idea gets canned before it ever makes it to print. Otherwise we're looking at a possible first post-reboot comic cancellation. If we're REALLY unlucky, this'll be the last straw that convinces the Harmony Gold senior management types that Robotech is a lost cause.

Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

Is it really going to be that bad? I'm at least willing to give it a try before I condemn it.
Alrik Vas
Knight

Alpha 11 wrote:Is it really going to be that bad? I'm at least willing to give it a try before I condemn it.

I can't see it being good. Though i applaud your open-mindedness.

taalismn
Priest

Seto Kaiba wrote:

Well ladies and gents, if you ever wanted to know what it looks like when a franchise hits rock-bottom, now you know.

I'm not quite sure what's goin' on with the space elf's pose there, but dear god that looks stupid as hell. I really, profoundly hope for Robotech's sake that this bad idea gets canned before it ever makes it to print. Otherwise we're looking at a possible first post-reboot comic cancellation. If we're REALLY unlucky, this'll be the last straw that convinces the Harmony Gold senior management types that Robotech is a lost cause.

(Captain Harlock facepalms)
Then again, we've seen VF-1s in Evangelion colors.
Of course, that's (high quality) fan art for yah, not anything more pretentious.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Seto Kaiba
Knight

Alpha 11 wrote:Is it really going to be that bad? I'm at least willing to give it a try before I condemn it.

It's pretty much guaranteed to be, yeah...

Crossover events like this between the separate sub-genres of mecha anime, "real robot" and "super robot", are pretty much guaranteed to be of iffy quality when it comes to writing and/or art even when top class studios are involved. The one title which has consistently made it work is Super Robot Wars, and that's because those are as much about self-referential humor and fanservice as they are about the actual TRPG gameplay. This thing we're looking at here is a crossover between two forgotten shows, a collaboration between two studios who don't really have a good grip on the industry they're in.

If you want a really good example of how a crossover like this can turn into a complete and utter narrative mess, you could track down Project X Zone for the Nintendo 3DS. It's a SRW-style crossover TRPG made as a collaboration of Capcom, Namco-Bandai, and SEGA. The game's great fanservice, but the story makes NO GODDAMN SENSE WHATSOEVER. Seriously, I'm 20 chapters in and I've got no clue what's going on. :lol:

taalismn
Priest

Of course, this could all turn out to be Rick Hunter's nightmare, sleeping off some bad chinese...
But it was a storyline twists like that that still OBLITERATED 'Dallas's' credibility, what with supposedly-dead-guy-popping-up-in-shower.... :roll:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Arnie100
Knight

Unread post by Arnie100 »

This is one I'm definetely staying away from.
They can't see me...Right!?
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Doesn't sound crazier then some of the Star trek comic crossovers (Dr. Who, X-Men).

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Seto Kaiba
Knight

taalismn wrote:Of course, this could all turn out to be Rick Hunter's nightmare, sleeping off some bad chinese...

Let's just hope this is OUR nightmare, sleeping off some bad pizza or something...

taalismn wrote:But it was a storyline twists like that that still OBLITERATED 'Dallas's' credibility, what with supposedly-dead-guy-popping-up-in-shower.... :roll:

Lucky us, that Robotech hasn't had any credibility to destroy since at least the late 80s.

Shawn Merrow wrote:Doesn't sound crazier then some of the Star trek comic crossovers (Dr. Who, X-Men).

Eh... I don't think so. Doctor Who at least had the excuse that its setting prominently featured pan-dimensional aliens, alternate histories and temporal tampering, and so on. There was a ready-made way to connect the two. Even the whole Star Trek and X-Men thing wasn't COMPLETELY off the wall, since, again, you had a setting where travel to and from alternate realities had happened before, and beings with superpowers similar to the X-Men's were not unheard-of. In the TOS crossover, they had two characters (one from each universe), each with similar reality-warping powers.

Robotech and Voltron don't really share any similarities like that. Robotech is a real robot show about how Earth is totally freaking hosed. Voltron was a super robot show about how a fanciful alien world was totally freaking hosed. There's no common technological ground, no shared set pieces, nothing in common at all except that both shows were bad rewrite dubs from the 80s that were combinations of unrelated robot shows.

ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Seto wrote:(If this is actually a thing... a really legitimate thing that is actually happening... Tommy may be well on his way to dethroning the legendary Carl Macek as the Ed Wood of Anime.)

It does look like it is going to be an actual thing.

http://www.robotech.com/news/viewarticle.php?id=496

Per the RT.com article:
-"with DC Comics and Harmony Gold granting free license to Dynamite for our upcoming Robotech comic projects" (note the plural)
-"A new Robotech series will follow in the wake of the crossover. " (a new RT series to follow it, part of the plural comic projects mentions previously?)

This is going to be bad (and not the good type of bad) IMHO w/re: to the crossover.

Not that I've heard. Given legalities Palladium may be very limited in what they can do with product without getting additional rights I would think.
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

Ok, seriously.........i like Robotech and Voltron, but a mashup......

NO, NO , NO!!!!!
The Dragon Has Spoken
rem1093
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by rem1093 »

It looks like its going to be a one off, (I hope), to get interest for the new series. But if not they could fallow the story line from Voltron and have the UEEF (instead of Galaxy Alliance), capture the Lions and reverse engineer the tech adding it to the VT's. You know what this would get us then don't you. Vehicles that transform int humanoid form and then can combine together to become a giant Humanoid robot. You know, Transformers combiners..
taalismn
Priest

More like it's Roy Fokker in the last mments of his life, suffering through Hell before he can get to Heaven....

Really, is HG determined to utterly torpedo the franchise with a 'let's stick it not only to the fans, but to Macross as well before we dump this albatross' project?
This is going to go over like other great combinations like:
*Napalm & chickens
*Arsenic & peanut butter
*Plutonium and chocolate frosting
*The Iranian Nuclear Energy Committee and the Israeli Defense Forces
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Snake Eyes wrote:Ok, seriously.........i like Robotech and Voltron, but a mashup......

NO, NO , NO!!!!!

Needs zombies. Definitely needs zombies.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Seto Kaiba
Knight

ShadowLogan wrote:This is going to be bad (and not the good type of bad) IMHO w/re: to the crossover.

Wow, if even you're against it, it's not looking good for this crossover. :lol:

And now, since this thread has become thoroughly depressing, here's something neat to liven it up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yYcADFCTO8

mech798
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by mech798 »

When I first read this, I thought it was a joke.

Lemme guess, HG either has the rights to voltron or they got them dirt cheap.

I mean, this isn't the stupidest idea anyone has ever had, but it's probably up there-- as has been mentioned, the two genres, are completely, utterly different. One is a story that is about war-- fleets of mecha and even though Scott Bernard and his team were the heroes, they weren't able to just go CHARGE! and destroy reflex point.

The other is about superhero mecha, where going CHARGE! and blowing up the entire enemy fleet and the mighty Robeast is order of the day.

It'd be like, I dunno, a Phineas & Ferb/ Game of Thrones cross over.

Also, I was at SDCC and I saw the HG "models" for the alpha, etc,

That was, embarrassing and I can see why they don't want macross merchandise showing up. Suffice it to say, even being looked at from several feet, I coudl see visible modling problems and they just looked bad.
Seto Kaiba
Knight

mech798 wrote:When I first read this, I thought it was a joke.

Oh, it's a joke all right... just not in the sense you mean.

I can't help but get the feeling we've somehow left the era of Harmony Gold trying to come up with new material, and delving into an entirely new category: "Things Tommy doodled in his grade school classes during the 1980s."

mech798 wrote:Lemme guess, HG either has the rights to voltron or they got them dirt cheap.

It appears to be that both the owners of RT and Voltron are doing this through a third (and desperately unlucky) party.

mech798 wrote:It'd be like, I dunno, a Phineas & Ferb/ Game of Thrones cross over.

As I mentioned previously, sometimes things of this nature can actually succeed (e.g. Namco Bandai's Super Robot Wars series of games), but this atrocity is a merger of two inept equals trying to dig themselves out of a decades old hole...

mech798 wrote:Also, I was at SDCC and I saw the HG "models" for the alpha, etc, [...]

Sad, ain't it? High schoolers could probably do as well...

ShadowLogan
Palladin

rem1093 wrote:It looks like its going to be a one off, (I hope), to get interest for the new series. But if not they could fallow the story line from Voltron and have the UEEF (instead of Galaxy Alliance), capture the Lions and reverse engineer the tech adding it to the VT's. You know what this would get us then don't you. Vehicles that transform int humanoid form and then can combine together to become a giant Humanoid robot. You know, Transformers combiners..

Nah, the RT mecha will just look like Rand's FoL induced dream with Shadow-wing and pull blazing swords out.

Seto wrote:Wow, if even you're against it, it's not looking good for this crossover.

Well as I've said in the past RT needs a Re-boot from it's Re-boot...

Seto wrote:, but this atrocity is a merger of two inept equals trying to dig themselves out of a decades old hole...

I'm not sure they are on the same level. Voltron did have a spin-off in the 90s (it had 2 "seasons") and a new series recently (2011, 1 "season"), where RT has only been able to pull off an OVA to completion in the same time frame.

I put season in quotation marks sense a "season" in both cases wasn't as demanding episode wise as the original show had to meet.

Though I do have to wonder which is going to happen:
-RT drags Voltron down
-Voltron pulls RT up
-status quo
taalismn
Priest

mech798 wrote:When I first read this, I thought it was a joke.

Lemme guess, HG either has the rights to voltron or they got them dirt cheap.

I mean, this isn't the stupidest idea anyone has ever had, but it's probably up there-- as has been mentioned, the two genres, are completely, utterly different. One is a story that is about war-- fleets of mecha and even though Scott Bernard and his team were the heroes, they weren't able to just go CHARGE! and destroy reflex point.

The other is about superhero mecha, where going CHARGE! and blowing up the entire enemy fleet and the mighty Robeast is order of the day.

It'd be like, I dunno, a Phineas & Ferb/ Game of Thrones cross over. .

Seriously, I don't think I could realistically sustain a Robotech/Voltron xover on the 'Robotech Crossovers' thread (OR the Bloopers thread) for more than one or two posts before it collapsed under its own absurdity...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

I literally banged my head on my desk after reading about this....
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

taalismn wrote:It's NOT going to be a battle of intellectual titans, that's for sure....

:"Let's decide to use the genocidal scorched-earth weapon we haven't even tested yet on our own homeworld while we send the only reliable source of the power source our organization and civilization runs on out to observe the test in a remote location!"
vs.
"Let's not use 'Blazing Sword' FIRST because we apparently like getting punched around for ten minutes."

well said taalismn
well said
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

The way this is sounding, they should have gone with Transformers instead. At least those 2 are way more closer together.
rtsurfer
Adventurer

Alpha 11 wrote:The way this is sounding, they should have gone with Transformers instead. At least those 2 are way more closer together.

Supposedly, HG's attempt, about a decade ago, at a RT-TF xover comic series didn't get past the initial discussion stage.

Seto Kaiba
Knight

ShadowLogan wrote:I'm not sure they are on the same level. Voltron did have a spin-off in the 90s [...]

Like RTSC, the attempts to revive Voltron have been largely unsuccessful, though there is the significant difference that Voltron's owners don't try to pretend the original shows they used were inferior, or that their version is somehow better than the originals. In most of the ways that matter, these are two birds of a feather... and, considering their circumstances, a really terrible combination.

ShadowLogan wrote:Though I do have to wonder which is going to happen:
-RT drags Voltron down

This is the most likely outcome by far, considering the almost overwhelmingly negative reaction to the announcement...

ShadowLogan
Palladin

rtsurfer wrote:
Alpha 11 wrote:The way this is sounding, they should have gone with Transformers instead. At least those 2 are way more closer together.
Supposedly, HG's attempt, about a decade ago, at a RT-TF xover comic series didn't get past the initial discussion stage.

Seems like "out of their league" for an 80s cross-over property with something like Transformers IMHO. They might get a "Go-Bots", but not a "Transformers".

Seto wrote:Like RTSC, the attempts to revive Voltron have been largely unsuccessful, though there is the significant difference that Voltron's owners don't try to pretend the original shows they used were inferior, or that their version is somehow better than the originals. In most of the ways that matter, these are two birds of a feather... and, considering their circumstances, a really terrible combination.

I disagree that Voltron has been largely unsuccessful, at least compared to Robotech, in attempts to revive itself in the animated realm. Those later Voltron series would not have happened if someone in charge (that mattered) did not think it couldn't be successful (unlike RT).
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

On the side of Voltron, at least they had full season runs in the reincarnated state.

Robotech just has TSC which is subpar even if it had been released 10 years earlier.....and the soon to be released "new" LLA. Voltron had some additional success over Robotech in the comic realm as well (I know I bought them both). Had voltron gone the route of retelling the story with new animation as they had done int eh comics it may have had even more success rather than limited success. The comics started from scratch and honestly were pretty good. Not to mention I think Go Lion/Voltron has a pretty large cult following in comparison to Robotech that have those of us here, some on the RT.com forums and some facebook based fans.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

indeed man!!
Armorlord
Hero

Unread post by Armorlord »

I just going have to be the one to say that this looks awesome, and that I will have to go out of my way to collect this comic when it comes out.

Carl Macek's Robotech was a pretty magic-riddled place overall, though Yune's been swinging away with the retcon hammer pretty damn hard; I'm not really seeing an incompatibility here, particularly for some kind of alternate-universe mash-up.

As for a crossover RPG, the way licensing goes, that is probably unlikely. The articles' mention of sub-licensing and DC Comics seems to indicate that there is a quagmire of sub-licensing lurking. The property is WEP (in similar ways to Robotech being HG's property), and after spending twenty minues diffing around, I still can't tell you where DC Comics came into the mix, but I'm guessing they must be subletting the Voltron rights to Dynamite, and Dynamite got together directly with HG to arrange the crossover (apparently based on a popularity poll, neat). To get permission to do an RPG of the crossover-universe, they'd likely need to license the material from Dynamite and permission to do an RPG from WEP (unless DC/Dynamite have licensing power for roleplaying games, which would surprise me). I do imagine all the parties involved would be more than willing to take Palladium's money, but the question will remain as to whether that would be worth PB's time and money. I mean, if the crossover is hugely popular and the licensing is cheap, it might very well be a possibility.. I just can't imagine poking at that licensing knot being an easy endeavor.

Alpha 11 wrote:The way this is sounding, they should have gone with Transformers instead.
Well, Transformers have a strong history of being loaned out for all kinds of wacky crossovers, and Tommy was intrigued by the idea when the interviewer asked, so I wouldn't rule out that becoming a thing. Though Jetfire reminds us that there could be murky and annoying waters to chart out there.
Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience. -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
It's not impossible, it's just really unfair. :( -Trance Gemini (Andromeda)
Tarnow and Romanov: Neighbors!

Politeness is not a shield, and criticism is not a sword to swing repeatedly.
Seto Kaiba
Knight

ShadowLogan wrote:I disagree that Voltron has been largely unsuccessful, at least compared to Robotech, [...]

Well, yeah... if you compare anything to Robotech's ability to snatch catastrophic failure from the slavering jaws of less catastrophic failure, I suppose that's true. Neither one has had any measurable success with a comeback though, so they're still both largely unsuccessful... it's just a question of whether you mean "mostly" or "almost totally" when you say "largely".

Armorlord wrote:Carl Macek's Robotech was a pretty magic-riddled place overall, though Yune's been swinging away with the retcon hammer pretty damn hard; I'm not really seeing an incompatibility here, particularly for some kind of alternate-universe mash-up.

Not actually true... Carl Macek's Robotech was a pretty sterile, magic-free place overall. It was only in Carl Macek's post-facto excuse-a-thon (patent pending) called Robotech Art 1 and his plans for other abortions like Robotech 3000 that things started to get pseudomagical. Otherwise, it's down to the novels, which are Robotech in name only...

taalismn
Priest

Armorlord wrote:. Though Jetfire reminds us that there could be murky and annoying waters to chart out there.

My representative Robotech figure happens to BE a Jetfire Transformer, owing to the general unavailability of Robotech merchandise in my area when I was in the collection stage.

But yeah, some of my favorite Transformers cartoons involve Jetfire frantically trying to hide from lawyers... :P
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Armorlord
Hero

Unread post by Armorlord »

Aye. Due to licensing issues the toy was never able to be released as a Robotech figure, and even blocked release of more classic Jetfire toys later on as well.
Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience. -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
It's not impossible, it's just really unfair. :( -Trance Gemini (Andromeda)
Tarnow and Romanov: Neighbors!

Politeness is not a shield, and criticism is not a sword to swing repeatedly.
taalismn
Priest

Armorlord wrote:Aye. Due to licensing issues the toy was never able to be released as a Robotech figure, and even blocked release of more classic Jetfire toys later on as well.

Hosed coming AND going. No wonder he commits (effective) suicide in the second movie.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
rtsurfer
Adventurer

Well there have been a number of different Jetfire/Skyfire designs over the years. IINM the VF-1 version was included in an art book release about a decade ago, there were rumors at the time that HG didn't try to stop its publication as an incentive for the RT-TF xover.

MikeM
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by MikeM »

The comic is being published by Dynamite who got the rights to Robotech and Voltron. Both companies agreed to the crossover and its being written by Tommy Yune.
Its just a mini series. I personally am looking forward to it because it can't be any worst than some of the Robotech comics we have had in the past.
Once the crossover is done, Dynamite will be releasing an ongoing Robotech series.
MilkManX
Wanderer
Comment: Not a fan boy or a purist. I like to play Robotech because the game world is fun and interesting much like the 1985 show.

Unread post by MilkManX »

Now the ongoing Robotech comic should be interesting and maybe open up ideas for more Sourcebooks from Palladium. There is a bright side to this. :)
http://robotechfans.proboards.com

You're out here on your own.
Lonely soldier boy.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

ok FIRST Five Lion Voltron ROCKS period! 2nd a crossover is a good idea because both products have a fanbase and fans purchase materials hence allowing said companies to make and sell more stuff. i never played robo tech or mech warrior or any robot game until i played rifts BUT damn straight i had my 5 lion voltron well into my twenties. VOLTRON IS FRACKING AWESOME!!!!!!!

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”