I need a weird character.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Looonatic
Adventurer

I need a weird character.

Unread post by Looonatic »

I'm looking for something weird, interesting and new to play. My rp group have been playing a larger campaign for better than a year now, occasionally handing off GMing duties. As my shift as GM ends, I am contemplating what character I will play. The only two pre-established characters I have easy access to are a Wanderer(from Rifter 18) and a Hyperion Juicer. I'm looking for something that will complement a party consisting of an elf temporal wizard, a Lost One Mind Melter(from Rifts Mercenaries), a Sea Inquisitor hit-man and a superhuman based around the Copy Physical Structure major ability.

I'm hoping for something in the same vicinity of power and ability to make it easier on the replacement GM. Any ideas?
--The more powerful you are, the less tacos you get.--
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer
Location: Formerly:Detroit, Michigan (West Side) Now in Dearborn: Which has 98.7% less arson.

Re: I need a weird character.

Unread post by MurderCityDisciple »

Buttertroll Titan Juicer

Codename: Cholesterol

Nickname: Lester
“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.” - Anton LaVey

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

"The die is cast." - Julius Caesar [Ultimate Powergamer]
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

Click the link of Pre-generated characters in my signature. Hope I can help. A few of those guys are pretty out there. You know, because I am insane.
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

A Formless One (NB:NL reshaper, page 57) mystic study
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Looonatic wrote:I'm looking for something that will complement a party consisting of an elf temporal wizard, a Lost One Mind Melter(from Rifts Mercenaries), a Sea Inquisitor hit-man and a superhuman based around the Copy Physical Structure major ability.

Hmm... I don't see a technology based character on that list. So I recommend a Kremlin Cyborg, but use the description in DBees of North America (not the one in CWC). That will let you select from a wide variety of OCCs to go with it.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Looonatic wrote:I'm looking for something weird, interesting and new to play. My rp group have been playing a larger campaign for better than a year now, occasionally handing off GMing duties. As my shift as GM ends, I am contemplating what character I will play. The only two pre-established characters I have easy access to are a Wanderer(from Rifter 18) and a Hyperion Juicer. I'm looking for something that will complement a party consisting of an elf temporal wizard, a Lost One Mind Melter(from Rifts Mercenaries), a Sea Inquisitor hit-man and a superhuman based around the Copy Physical Structure major ability.

I'm hoping for something in the same vicinity of power and ability to make it easier on the replacement GM. Any ideas?

A mutan Hominid (as per Transdimensional TMNT) with Super Powers (ala TMNT Adventures), and most Bio-E put into Extraordinary IQ, particularly if the GM observes the rule that you can default to skills using the most relevant attribute.
Even if he doesn't the IQ bonuses alone should be able to make you quite the Skills Monkey.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

And I suppose we should mention the all powerful Ninja Flooper.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
tundro
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tundro »

A Fingertooth Carpetbager bard who plays a guitar with a sonic cannon built into it.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Mack wrote:And I suppose we should mention the all powerful Ninja Flooper.

THAT would be deadly.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Quinxotic Apok.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Looonatic
Adventurer

Good stuff! Keep the ideas coming. :)
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

For me I am really itching to try out a junk crab from the lemurian book. They are just such an odd but fun concept giant alien hermit crabs whose tech focus is making their shell the biggest and bestest it can be.

They are pretty good in a fight with their built in weaponry pretty durable and would work great in most groups support wise. They can have a built in the shell eclip recharger and that alone is a pretty huge bonus for an adventuring group.

After reading the new vampire book I think a heroic necromancer would be an interesting challange. How to use their powers for good without the use of that power turning them fully to the darkside.
tundro
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tundro »

Brutasaur Cyber-Doc?
filo_clarke
Adventurer

Unread post by filo_clarke »

Scarecrow Fire Warlock.
Dunia
Adventurer

Unread post by Dunia »

I once made an NPC that was pretty fun to GM and if I ever play Rifts again as a player - I will make that one.

It was a human crazy that had two personalities, the first one was himself, he was an architect from Tolkeen and had no super powers and super strength, healing, senses. He believed so strongly that he was a normal human that he did not use his enhanced abilities.

When Nighttime came his other personality took over and he became the terrible vampire lord Vlad Rushenkov the Conquerer of Turkey and slayer of the infidel Saracens. (Not that he knew what Turkey or Saracens were and why these were infidels) In this personality he had all the strengths enhanced healing and mental powers of the crazy template, but he also believed that he was vulnerable to silver, the sun, garlic, running water and fire.

What was funny with this was that without reflecting it himself, he used a pair of enhanced fangs that he had made and dressed as a Bella Lugosi incarnation with a long black and red cape, started to talk with a Romanian accent and moved in a different pattern. If people tried to convince him differently or ask why he did not do certain things that vampires are rumored to do, he just stated that "A pair of lowly humans driving Glitterboys are no threats to a lord of the undead. It was no need for him to turn into mist as they were unable to hurt him. And when he was hurt by them, he always yelled "Alas, the humans has loaded their boom guns with silver pellets" and so on.
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

"Weird" as in - off-the-wall, crazy, the character is a weirdo....
or just "weird" as in not-usually-played?
or "weird" - could be a normal character type but has an interesting backstory?
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

An exiled, Principled Brodkill. Got that way from a being hit by a Soultwist blade.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Bob the kleptomaniac amoral mutant pink monkey with full human intelligence, partial speech and teleport.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Little Snuzzles wrote:Octoman Saloon Girl

evil.

i gotta remember to use that one...
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

Honestly, that group needs the token "normal" character. The Marilyn Munster, if you will. I recommend a human banker (Black Market).
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Maybe one of these? They can be as "weird" as you want them - just apply a liberal dose of personality and flair.

A Mega-Juicer or a Dragon-Juicer
Any of the variety of T-Men
A Phantom from Phase World
An Earth or Star Child from England
A Cold One from Mercenary Adventures
A Nightbane or a Wompyr
A Dreamer Gizmoteer from N&SS
A Monster Hunter from South America
A Were-creature
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

So your party, as I see it, consists of:
1. Elf temporal wizard. This is an unusual magic that usually involves service to an evil Temporal Raider.
2. Lost One Mind Melter(from Rifts Mercenaries). Is that the immortal psychic species? Interesting choice.
3. Sea Inquisitor hit-man. (Sea Inquisitors must be principled or scrupulous. Being a hit-man by trade seems to stretch this) Good against the supernatural, they're also often powerful psychics.
4. Superhuman based around the Copy Physical Structure major ability. This guy seems to be the oddball of the group.

Right then. Your party is dominated by psychic and magic powers, with some significant advantages against the supernatural. There are several approaches you could take:

1. Enhance the party's strengths by playing a techno-wizard. Your creations will grant improved power to everyone in the party but the superhuman, and you might find a way to help him out, too.

2. Bring an entirely new category of power. Choose an uncommon type of magic OCC that works well with the rest of the group. Warlock, Biomancer, an herbal magic druid OCC, or a Diabolist would all be good choices. Alternately, you could take a different psychic OCC. Psi-Ghost, Psi-Slayer, Zapper, and Bursters would all add a little something special to the group. You could also be a technology expert such as an operator or psi-tech, which are almost magic classes in their own right.

3. Be a tank. Your companions (except for the superhuman) seem like the types that don't care to be in the thick of a fight. With this approach, you become a punching bag, drawing fire away from your companions, which will allow them to strike with their powers. A wide variety of OCCs and RCCs can fill this role. Keep in mind while selecting a class that your sustainability is critical. Glitter Boys (and other robots/rpa) often make lousy tanks in the long run, without repair facilities backing them up. Force fields, self-repairing armor, and bio-regeneration trump tough, but difficult-to-repair technology. Also be flexible; you may be needed for both ranged and up-close combat.

4. Be artillery. If you're confident that the superhuman can soak up the damage for you, you can focus on dishing out massive amounts of damage instead. The Glitter Boy is a good choice here, but so are a wide variety of magic and supernatural creature classes. Psi-Slingers can work well in this role.

5. Be Jack. Some classes are excellent in multiple roles, even if they're not the best at one thing. Hybrid classes often work well here. Scathach Druids from England, Super-Spies from Mercenaries, demi-gods from Pantheons, mystics, Fallen Knights from Phase World, Naga-Spawn from China, they're all effective fighters who are also useful or powerful in other ways.

6. Focus on a different kind of enemy: technology! If the antagonists of your adventures love technology, it behooves you to have some capability against that threat. Cyber-Knights (the newer version) are excellent in this role, as are psi-techs. Slammers/Anti-Robot Headhunters (Canada) can work adequately in this role, though they're very specialized against robot vehicles.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

random roll an alien from the H.U. 2nd edition book. and add in 2d4 random insanities. if you wind up with super powers random roll them also. with all this randomness, i think an interesting character might develop. getting book and dice now, i will post my random roll insane alien.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

glitterboy2098 wrote:
Little Snuzzles wrote:Octoman Saloon Girl

evil.

i gotta remember to use that one...

and upon further research, you can't do this legally..

Saloongirl/barmaid OCC requires a PB of 12 or higher.

octoman PB stat is 1D4
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

just saying. the game has a fixed scale, not a relative one. so if the OCC says "needs PB of 12 or better", a 4 aint going to cut it, no matter how much you argue about relative attractiveness.

if you gotta justify it, remember most of the bar owners and bar customers will be human or near-enough.. so the owners would probably hire people that are attractive to those people, that is PB of 12 or so by human standards..

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Humanlike,abrasive atmoshpere, mystically bestowed abilities, multiple selves, winged flight, underwater abilities,hand to hand expert, rogue/smuggler skill set,intergalactic champion of justice(?),earth needs guidance and protection, some familiarity with earth,microwave rifle,antigravity ring. Insanities,compulsive liar, neurosis-personal cleanliness, psychosis-fascination with death in all its forms, alcoholic,frenzy.
my random psychotic alien "hero"
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

glitterboy2098 wrote:just saying. the game has a fixed scale, not a relative one. so if the OCC says "needs PB of 12 or better", a 4 aint going to cut it, no matter how much you argue about relative attractiveness.

if you gotta justify it, remember most of the bar owners and bar customers will be human or near-enough.. so the owners would probably hire people that are attractive to those people, that is PB of 12 or so by human standards..

I believe Aliens Unlimited addressed that, noting that PB was based on attractiveness to a human (and careful to note that it didn't mean SEXUALLY attractive, only attractive/pleasing on the eye).
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Dirari Ecto-Man (DBees of NA, p66).

A floating ball of ectoplasm ranks fairly high on the weird scale.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Looonatic
Adventurer

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:"Weird" as in - off-the-wall, crazy, the character is a weirdo....
or just "weird" as in not-usually-played?
or "weird" - could be a normal character type but has an interesting backstory?

Yes. :)
Looonatic
Adventurer

Hotrod wrote:So your party, as I see it, consists of:
1. Elf temporal wizard. This is an unusual magic that usually involves service to an evil Temporal Raider.
2. Lost One Mind Melter(from Rifts Mercenaries). Is that the immortal psychic species? Interesting choice.
3. Sea Inquisitor hit-man. (Sea Inquisitors must be principled or scrupulous. Being a hit-man by trade seems to stretch this) Good against the supernatural, they're also often powerful psychics.
4. Superhuman based around the Copy Physical Structure major ability. This guy seems to be the oddball of the group.

Right then. Your party is dominated by psychic and magic powers, with some significant advantages against the supernatural. There are several approaches you could take:

1. Enhance the party's strengths by playing a techno-wizard. Your creations will grant improved power to everyone in the party but the superhuman, and you might find a way to help him out, too.

2. Bring an entirely new category of power. Choose an uncommon type of magic OCC that works well with the rest of the group. Warlock, Biomancer, an herbal magic druid OCC, or a Diabolist would all be good choices. Alternately, you could take a different psychic OCC. Psi-Ghost, Psi-Slayer, Zapper, and Bursters would all add a little something special to the group. You could also be a technology expert such as an operator or psi-tech, which are almost magic classes in their own right.

3. Be a tank. Your companions (except for the superhuman) seem like the types that don't care to be in the thick of a fight. With this approach, you become a punching bag, drawing fire away from your companions, which will allow them to strike with their powers. A wide variety of OCCs and RCCs can fill this role. Keep in mind while selecting a class that your sustainability is critical. Glitter Boys (and other robots/rpa) often make lousy tanks in the long run, without repair facilities backing them up. Force fields, self-repairing armor, and bio-regeneration trump tough, but difficult-to-repair technology. Also be flexible; you may be needed for both ranged and up-close combat.

4. Be artillery. If you're confident that the superhuman can soak up the damage for you, you can focus on dishing out massive amounts of damage instead. The Glitter Boy is a good choice here, but so are a wide variety of magic and supernatural creature classes. Psi-Slingers can work well in this role.

5. Be Jack. Some classes are excellent in multiple roles, even if they're not the best at one thing. Hybrid classes often work well here. Scathach Druids from England, Super-Spies from Mercenaries, demi-gods from Pantheons, mystics, Fallen Knights from Phase World, Naga-Spawn from China, they're all effective fighters who are also useful or powerful in other ways.

6. Focus on a different kind of enemy: technology! If the antagonists of your adventures love technology, it behooves you to have some capability against that threat. Cyber-Knights (the newer version) are excellent in this role, as are psi-techs. Slammers/Anti-Robot Headhunters (Canada) can work adequately in this role, though they're very specialized against robot vehicles.

An interesting diagnosis. Very interesting considering that my current leanings is toward a Malvoren. It seems to fit your analysis fairly well.

I have a few more days to decide though.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

What's a Malroven? It's not ringing a bell.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
tundro
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tundro »

Ninjabunny wrote:
Hotrod wrote:What's a Malroven? It's not ringing a bell.

They are in World book 30 d-bees of north america

They are a Dbee that appears to be made out of muscle strands...they have the abilty to "fuse" with technology to become some pretty kick-a$$ fighters. I've been thinking about making one of those myself.
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

They're also excessively overpowered if not handled properly. ;) :P
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
tundro
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tundro »

Akashic Soldier wrote:They're also excessively overpowered if not handled properly. ;) :P

IIRC, there are some pretty strict rules and how much tech they can fuse with at any given time, and that fusing with giant robots or vehicles isn't really what they were designed for, though you can do it with some penalties.
Looonatic
Adventurer

tundro wrote:
Akashic Soldier wrote:They're also excessively overpowered if not handled properly. ;) :P

IIRC, there are some pretty strict rules and how much tech they can fuse with at any given time, and that fusing with giant robots or vehicles isn't really what they were designed for, though you can do it with some penalties.

The penalties are minor compared to the benefits. Their big limitation is that their abilities only work efficiently with weapons, armor and 'war machines'. Anything else, and their skills and abilities suffer dramatically. They also have a huge standing bounty on their head by the Splugorth(alive only). They are bound by a sense of honor similar to a cyber-knight. They also detest magic and techno-wizard weaponry.
tundro
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tundro »

Looonatic wrote:
tundro wrote:

The penalties are minor compared to the benefits. Their big limitation is that their abilities only work efficiently with weapons, armor and 'war machines'. Anything else, and their skills and abilities suffer dramatically. They also have a huge standing bounty on their head by the Splugorth(alive only). They are bound by a sense of honor similar to a cyber-knight. They also detest magic and techno-wizard weaponry.

Forgot about the Splugee aspect of it, but I do remember they are generally noble. I think if you could find a player that wasn't in it just for the power, it would be a pretty cool race to play.
tundro
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tundro »

How about a Ganka full conversion 'borg? (Come to think of it, I don't think that's even possible...)
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Interesting... I'm not familiar with most Rifter creations.

An interesting book-published alternative would be the Machine People from Phase World, who can bond with just about any machine. Given that the Splugorth have tried to kidnap and copy them, it isn't unthinkable that some might have come to Earth
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!

Return to “Rifts®”