How much work do you put into your campaign?

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Icefalcon
Champion

How much work do you put into your campaign?

Unread post by Icefalcon »

I would like to know how much work people put into their campaigns.

When I get ready to run a new campaign, I have to make sure most of my bases are covered. First, I start with the world. This is not so difficult with Palladium games where most of the world is planned out for you. But for arguments sake, lets say I am running in Phase World/Three Galaxies setting. I would make the world/worlds that I am going to be using (even down to minute details such as imports/exports, how many troops/ships they have, system of government, etc.). Each of these worlds would come with major NPC's, maps, special OCC's, maps, solar system data and yet more maps.

Second, I decide on the flavor of the story. Is it going to be Horror? Militaristic? Intrigue? Treasure Hunt? Free Range? This is going to determine how I lay out the story and what kind of timing I will be using for the scenes.

Third, I start on the story. I conceive the reason that all of the characters have been brought together (if they don't know each other already through back story). Once that is accomplished, I move on to their first plot hook, something to get them involved in the story. From there, I develop other "missions/stories". This is usually done separately so that I can organize them later in a timeline style progression ( a maturing of the story if you will) that make a bit of sense. Once I have a few of these "missions", I find a way to weave them all together in an overall metaplot if I don't have one already.

Fourth, I design any items (tech, magical or otherwise) that I need for the forseeable future. I then insert them into the story taking shape in a Word document as sidebars, text boxes, pictures or whatever. Sometimes I link the reference to other documents (mostly for stat block purposes).

Fifth, I make a separate file to keep notes on the game as it unfolds. This is used to make any needed adjustments to the metaplot as it unfolds. This is because most plans never survive first contact with players. :D

Lastly, I just keep working away on the story as the game unfolds. After each playing session, I polish the parts of the story that have yet to be played and makes notes on what would get changed if it was ever run again.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
Prysus
Champion

Re: How much work do you put into your campaign?

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. I used to do some more work (try to stat out every NPC, have lots of maps, grand adventures and story arcs completely plotted out, etc.). However, as I ran games more and more, I put in less and less effort. This isn't my losing interest (though I do admit I'm a lazy individual by nature), but players can be unpredictable and the more I have statted out the more it starts to have a railroad feel. By keeping only a light framework, I can adapt easily and don't feel like I'm wasting time on material that will never be used. So these days mostly what I do ...

If the world needs to be created (I do a lot of homebrew), try to type up as much of the important information as possible. If a space campaign that means noting the major players in the universe, some history, a world or two (probably between one paragraph and four paragraphs each, just enough to capture the feel). In a fantasy game that meant drawing a map of the world, going into the religion and the gods (no more than a paragraph each), a few myths, a brief world history (again, just quick highlights). I'm likely to make notes on the various surrounding cities, but not likely to have stats or a map.

Once the world is set, I'm likely to have a vague concept of the bigger picture (large story arc), and probably a few minor adventures already in mind. Example being: 1) Evil alien race working behind the scenes (akin to Shadows from Babylon 5). They're setting up this other alien race as the fall guys (in case anything they do is discovered). Characters are likely to first encounter them during [such and such] mission (may not even realize it until later, but small prelude). 2) Characters find a broken robot (the Operator P.C. will probably want to fix it!). The robot has an intense curiosity and wants to take everything apart to see how it works (it was designed to explore, and then bring information back to its creators). [Vague idea for a cute scene.] No connection to main plot. 3) Random alien sneaks aboard the ship while they're refueling at a space port. Possible spy? On the run from someone (main villians?)? Just a teenage (alien) runaway? Think more on it later. May or may not connect to the main plot depending on what I come up with. 4) The ship breaks down in space. Characters need to take a smaller shuttle to a planet to get needed materials. [Some notes/thoughts on planet.]

After that it's just shooting from the hip. I let the players take their actions, and I do my best to let them lead and weave in any adventures I have along the way. Example: My fantasy players are heading to a city that I don't have any ideas for yet. I know, I have that Thieves Guild plotted out that I haven't introduced yet. I can just put a base in the city. I'll work them in depending on the actions they take so it seems fluent and planned.

I do like adding details, but I tend to do that as I go. While I know that can lead to some inconsistencies, usually I'm pretty good at keeping them straight because the picture forms in my mind. Once I've seen it I remember better (I'm a visual person), and as long as that mental image remains, I don't have much worries (if we takes a several month break, that's when I have problems!).

Note: Whether as a G.M. or as a player character, I tend to do my best to put a piece of myself into my characters and the world, which makes it more real to me.

Anyways, that's all for now. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
auyl
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by auyl »

It all depends on what I'm doing.

For instance, in the large scheme of things, where I want the campaign to go, I'll sit down and plot things out. I'll stat out major NPC's and plot out major settings and towns.

For each session though, I leave pretty much open because I've always had players that like to go against what I have planned and so I shoot from the hip to get to where I want the players to go in the campaign as a whole.

In short, the campaign as a whole is planned out, but each session is planned out on the go.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

Usually, I accumulate a dozen NPC names and make a relationship map defining allies and enemies (plus who's sleeping with whom). Then I write up some sample characters, which is more time consuming and less fun. Finally, I prepare notes on commonly available gear. Before each session, I'll put together some notes on any monsters I expect to use and print off some Google maps of the locations, if possible.

For my current game, we're doing more of an exploration focused series, so there's been almost no prep. I haven't even made pregens because my table is already full and there will probably be no opportunity for new players to drop in.
Chronicle
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Your Local Lurker. THAT'S the Reality.....

Email: Chronos47@gmail.com

Unread post by Chronicle »

i tend to build a basic plan......i often see players do a 180 and totally go off the beaten path.....Tried carrots to lead them away, but sometimes the players want a different direction.

So, i usually take a go with the flow type situation and react rather then plan too far ahead. There is always a chance to derail and go to places you never even thought you would go.

My current campaign was shaping up to be a city builder, did the research (google maps is nice) and had it ready by the next week......Then the players decided to take a trip to queens harbor lol...once they got there they went looking for work and i tossed a few ideas.......offered credits and now we have a direction.

It is some of the best parts of gaming when the unexpected happens and the expected gets tossed out the window.

so planning.......not so much, i am a seat of my chair type of GM, only planning 2 steps ahead rather then 5 lol
Your local Lurker and Temporal Wizard Extrodinaire,

Chronicle

Cosmic Forge or bust.

Love me some Phood

Where is the wood in Wormwood.

"How Are you a Super Power" -Sterling Archer
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

I have a plot.

I work out the NPCs stats the night before I expect to need them.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Plot???

:D :D
The only real campaine I've run was more or less off the cuff. There were sessions in which I made maps of buildings or the region. But for the most part it was just a rambling. I did try to get the game into a over arching plot *shrugs* but that was when the game fell apart.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Icefalcon
Champion

I know each GM has a particular style that they are good at. Some of the better games I have played have been off the cuff. But, the best games I played were planned far in advance and it seemed at the time that the GM was letting us do whatever we wanted. I used to be a GM like the former and now I am like the latter. I find my players like my games better the more thought I put into them.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

I treat my games as if they were a TV show and the players the cast.
I have a season story arc (main BBEG and his plot)
And each adventure is a self contained 1 hour episode of the series with hints of the seasons story arc (campaign).
The number of adventures varies from campaign to campaign but typically ranges from 12 to 24 per season.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

I tend to prompt atleast one player to have goals in the game world and pursue them. Got a player to invent a BBEG of his own, for example. I take the spine of the idea and some of the flesh he's added, and I flesh out some more (generally not all, just enough for a session or two ahead).
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

only the most broad strokes of whats going to happen.
I free form most things and alot of times ill just say at the start of the game ....."your in new mexico!!!!" and then make them take it from there.
nothing is more fun than playing with my normal group and having a new person that normaly plays in alot of scripted games stare blankly at us when we ask him/her..."Ok so what are you doing" and they look at you like you just asked them to run the game.
everytime ive ever made a super detailed plot or dialog tree or something of the like it goes to poop in about 2 nights as the part discovers they can farm the "thing" and try to get rich or pick up that the princess is ill....wellk damn it I didnt want them to care about that theres a war on 3 towns over......
but id say off the cuff to nearly free form on average.
Icefalcon
Champion

Damian Magecraft wrote:I treat my games as if they were a TV show and the players the cast.
And each adventure is a self contained 1 hour episode of the series with hints of the seasons story arc (campaign).
The number of adventures varies from campaign to campaign but typically ranges from 12 to 24 per season.

This is an interesting concept. How much work does this approach put on your shoulders?
Icefalcon
Champion

I am seeing a lot of "off the cuff" or "freeform" styles going on here. I am wondering, is it because it is a Palladium game and the world is set?
Zamion138
Hero

Icefalcon wrote:I am seeing a lot of "off the cuff" or "freeform" styles going on here. I am wondering, is it because it is a Palladium game and the world is set?

only game i dont do free form is shadowrun and then its cuase you have to make a plausable secruity setup and freeforming it turns into either being to nice to the pc's or countering them at random.

but every other setting usaly allows me to do freeform... shadowrun though if they are going to break into a corp you really should write it down and the matrix and astral protection.......talk about a binder of stuff for a major corprate holding three layers of reality and people that can interact on 1,2,or even all 3 to have to npc it gets pretty crazy sometimes.
Icefalcon
Champion

Zamion138 wrote:
Icefalcon wrote:I am seeing a lot of "off the cuff" or "freeform" styles going on here. I am wondering, is it because it is a Palladium game and the world is set?

only game i dont do free form is shadowrun and then its cuase you have to make a plausable secruity setup and freeforming it turns into either being to nice to the pc's or countering them at random.

but every other setting usaly allows me to do freeform... shadowrun though if they are going to break into a corp you really should write it down and the matrix and astral protection.......talk about a binder of stuff for a major corprate holding three layers of reality and people that can interact on 1,2,or even all 3 to have to npc it gets pretty crazy sometimes.

Do you use published worlds for most of your games? I ask because I know lots of my gamers prefer to "homebrew" their own worlds which means lots of work.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. Not at all. I just find it's the best way to run a game. I'm not a guy who needs to know where every single shop is in a city. I just have the rough idea in my head, and then if the players need something and it makes sense, not a problem. If it makes no sense at all, well too bad for them (though I'll usually just come up with options off the top of my head as alternatives). If I'm not sure, roll a dice to randomly determine it. I don't plan out much because it lets me be flexible (something I had to learn to become a better G.M.) and gives players freedom, doesn't result in railroading, and I don't waste time on stuff that I won't/can't use as a result of player decisions. I don't like wasting time (and I'm lazy).

Icefalcon wrote:Do you use published worlds for most of your games? I ask because I know lots of my gamers prefer to "homebrew" their own worlds which means lots of work.

I homebrew settings ALL the time. In fact, I use more homebrew settings than established settings. My players just tend to love my settings, even though I have minimal data on them. Though most of the work I do is stuff I can show the players to give them a framework for the setting without drowning them in details.

Though I'll also add while I don't plan out too far ahead, that doesn't mean I don't give the setting and adventures thought. One thing I like to do is just ask the players what there plans are for next game. Player characters who have backgrounds I can use get their stories weaved into the setting and the larger picture. Then at work (while I'm standing around doing nothing) or even just in the shower I have time to think about what I'm going to do, and create a light framework to use. And, while I don't go into excessive details, I'll just throw in random notes (9 times out of 10 thought of on the spot), like one race that put its hand on the top of your head and slide the hand down across the cheek as their way of shaking hands in greeting. One of those little things that aren't necessary, but just adds flavor and I didn't have to plan ahead.

All in all I say not planning much and making stuff up as I go has made me a better G.M., not a worse one. By best work has been the stuff I make up on the spot, not the planned stuff. *Shrugs.* Most of my stuff tends to be a lot of role-playing, figuring things out, traveling and meeting new people, etc. I don't tend to do dungeon crawls and stuff, and combat comes up only from time to time (not an every game thing). Not sure if that matters.

Ah well, I guess that's all for now. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Icefalcon
Champion

Prysus wrote:I don't plan out much because it lets me be flexible (something I had to learn to become a better G.M.) and gives players freedom, doesn't result in railroading, and I don't waste time on stuff that I won't/can't use as a result of player decisions.

I find that even with adventures and even entire campaigns written ahead of time, I don't tend to railroad the players. One reason is I try to build a good deal of flexibility into my games. I also happen to know my group well enough now to know what direction they would jump most of the time. Most of the time, though, I allow for freeform style play in between written out adventures. I find using a combo of styles works better for me.

I was not trying to tell people that I think "freeform" or "off the cuff" style play is the wrong way. I was just illustrating that it seems to be the prevalent style I am seeing posted here. I was curious what it stemmed from. If it stems from a feeling of better game play, then I can understand. I was also wondering if it had to do with using published worlds that already had most of the world creation there for the GM to use. If anyone took offense to my words, I apologize.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Icefalcon wrote:
Prysus wrote:I don't plan out much because it lets me be flexible (something I had to learn to become a better G.M.) and gives players freedom, doesn't result in railroading, and I don't waste time on stuff that I won't/can't use as a result of player decisions.

I find that even with adventures and even entire campaigns written ahead of time, I don't tend to railroad the players. One reason is I try to build a good deal of flexibility into my games. I also happen to know my group well enough now to know what direction they would jump most of the time. Most of the time, though, I allow for freeform style play in between written out adventures. I find using a combo of styles works better for me.

I was not trying to tell people that I think "freeform" or "off the cuff" style play is the wrong way. I was just illustrating that it seems to be the prevalent style I am seeing posted here. I was curious what it stemmed from. If it stems from a feeling of better game play, then I can understand. I was also wondering if it had to do with using published worlds that already had most of the world creation there for the GM to use. If anyone took offense to my words, I apologize.

Greetings and Salutations. I took no offense. You asked a question, so I did my best to answer. I just have a tendency to give very lengthy answers (because I try to explain things so others understand my mentality). But no offense was taken, nor was I trying to say that everyone who plans ahead is railroading or anything else. I just stated what works best for me and why. :) Anyways, that's all for now. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Zamion138
Hero

Icefalcon wrote:
Zamion138 wrote:

Do you use published worlds for most of your games? I ask because I know lots of my gamers prefer to "homebrew" their own worlds which means lots of work.

published world for palladium games, often with an emphasize on low mdc if were playing rifts....ie its pretty rare but always stated up front. other pally games always published world for the most part.

shadowrun....yes
warhammer/rougetrader....yes
DnD...almost never
starwars.....the basics are all there but the power blocks are all Jacked up now, standing house rule anything that happened in any other gm's game....is cannon. gets confusing.
mechwarrior....we run it straight combat
Zamion138
Hero

Icefalcon wrote:

No offense is taken by me either its just for me freeform/offthecuff is just easier to get them to where they want to be and do. when i gm i sometimes want to do something and i feel like a jerk if i push them to "roughly" that way. but if i write up the stats for an npc and they kill it the first night i get upset and some one is making an insanity roll by the end of game.
my players know that if i took the time to stat up an npc and its not clearly a villian i plan on using it for a few games. and i never stat out baddies just in paly games combat stats, they have the skill i want them to for their part and, i tend to over use the name allen for npc's in general.
Icefalcon
Champion

I keep huge files full of stat blocks for various games. For the most part they are custom enemies to recycle over and over but occasionally I make an NPC that has a name (whether ally or villian) and if they kill that NPC, the stats stay in my computer and may get recycled with a new name later. Of course, I keep stat blocks like this so I do not have to do the work for another campaign in the same system.
Juce734
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Game On!

Unread post by Juce734 »

I've tried to wing games but I leave things too open and my players have said they needed a little more direction.

Since then I try to prepare more and have all my basis covered which I have noticed makes the games more fun.

If they go North but I had hoped they go South I can still give them the same encounter. They don't need to know that whatever happens was going to happen no matter which direction they went.

Obviously things need to be adjusted based on their decisions and I love to run with their ideas or use their ideas down the line somehow. For instance they think the bad guy is a vampire. Maybe a vampire works better and is more interesting in the spot I thought up for someone else. Or maybe this inspires me to give them a vampire bad guy at some point.

Either way though the better I plan the better my games seem to go.
Games: Savage Rifts, Fantasy Age, Dragon Age, Dungeons and Dragons Fifth Edition, Heroes Unlimited, TMNT, Ninjas and Superspies, and Rifts
Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/MasterTheGameRPG (please check out)
Website: https://www.rpgjuce.com/master-the-game-rpg-link-tree
Icefalcon
Champion

Juce734 wrote:Either way though the better I plan the better my games seem to go.

I have found the same thing.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

If you plan then you are prepared and the game session will flow more. That is more enjoyable for all. There also needs to always have flexibility and freedom for the player actions along with their consequences else the non-adaptability aspect loses the tabletop RPG experience.

So a little from column A, a little from column B.

Btw, when you plan and the session doesnt go according to plan, dont fret - save your encounter idea for another day or a different adventure. Dont get stressed or disappointed about it (hard to do I know). Have fun and look to see if the players are too. If they are then smile, you are an awesome GM!
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Icefalcon
Champion

The Dark Elf wrote:If you plan then you are prepared and the game session will flow more. That is more enjoyable for all. There also needs to always have flexibility and freedom for the player actions along with their consequences else the non-adaptability aspect loses the tabletop RPG experience.

Btw, when you plan and the session doesnt go according to plan, dont fret - save your encounter idea for another day or a different adventure. Dont get stressed or disappointed about it (hard to do I know). Have fun and look to see if the players are too. If they are then smile, you are an awesome GM!

How much planning do you do for your games? What kind of prep work is involved?
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Icefalcon wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:I treat my games as if they were a TV show and the players the cast.

This is an interesting concept. How much work does this approach put on your shoulders?
Not as much you would think.
I build the BBEG and his "plot"
I build a few Lieutenants
I build henchmen.
Then I develop the season arc (very loose out line)
Decide how many episodes.
Decide what clues drop when.
Then I get the players together for the first session.
First session is always character creation.
The basics takes about an hour (sometimes 2 hours).
Its the character backgrounds that typically takes up the rest of the 6 to 7 hrs of session.
I have a series of questions the players need to answer and we will play out certain bits and pieces of the back stories. (mostly how the PCs met/know each other). We also "build" the setting together at that first session.
Season 2 plays out pretty much the same (skipping the first session stuff naturally).
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Illendaver
Explorer
Comment: If your happy and you know it clap your hands!
Location: Behind the throne, Whispering my comment into the emperors ear...

Unread post by Illendaver »

Lol.... for the first campaign I ever ran, I railroaded the hell out of it because I didn't have enough stuff made up ahead of time and I wasn't able to think quick on my feet (1st time ever GMing...). I decided that was probably the worst campaign I ever heard of so I stepped down as GM for about 3 months and just spent a bunch of my free time rolling up everything that I thought of for my world. My second campaign was a total freeform sandbox that the players could do whatever they wanted in, the problem was I spent so much time trying to figure out what they could do that I forgot to include a plot. It was fun, but totally pointless. Ever since I try to find a happy balance between the two, I include a few key villains in most of my campaigns, but there is usually a lot of downtime for players to do whatever they want with thier chars.
*McRipper said so*
Me: So, what all happened last time we played?
Friend: We went back to my place and got ROFL stomped by zombies.
Icefalcon
Champion

Damian Magecraft wrote:
Icefalcon wrote:

I build henchmen.
Its the character backgrounds that typically takes up the rest of the 6 to 7 hrs of session.
I have a series of questions the players need to answer and we will play out certain bits and pieces of the back stories. (mostly how the PCs met/know each other). We also "build" the setting together at that first session.
Season 2 plays out pretty much the same (skipping the first session stuff naturally).

First, I assume BBEG stand for big bad evil guy? Second, I really like this kind of set up. Do you ever have prepared adventures that activate if they stumble upon them?
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Icefalcon wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:
Icefalcon wrote:

I build henchmen.

First, I assume BBEG stand for big bad evil guy? Second, I really like this kind of set up. Do you ever have prepared adventures that activate if they stumble upon them?

Yes BBEG stands for Big Bad Evil Guy (bit of a Buffyism that).
I dont do the canned adventure thing (most never fit in with my story arcs).
I stumbled upon this method way back when (my first gm tried to do something similar but mostly all he did was reward the MVP of the delve the parting quip that every TV show closes with).
I have since refined it a bit more.
Mostly beyond the NPCs and a basic plot I free flow it.
I have found the players become more immersed if they supply the fine details themselves so i dont tend to overly descriptive or detail oriented (unless the campaign calls for it... Like My CSI:Gotham and Metropolis games do).
Icefalcon
Champion

I might have to try this style and see how it works with my group.
Juce734
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Game On!

Unread post by Juce734 »

I may have to try that sort of planning next time I get a regular table top group going. Hopefully with Palladium Fantasy I can do this.
Games: Savage Rifts, Fantasy Age, Dragon Age, Dungeons and Dragons Fifth Edition, Heroes Unlimited, TMNT, Ninjas and Superspies, and Rifts
Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/MasterTheGameRPG (please check out)
Website: https://www.rpgjuce.com/master-the-game-rpg-link-tree
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer

Icefalcon wrote:
The Dark Elf wrote:If you plan then you are prepared and the game session will flow more. That is more enjoyable for all. There also needs to always have flexibility and freedom for the player actions along with their consequences else the non-adaptability aspect loses the tabletop RPG experience.

How much planning do you do for your games? What kind of prep work is involved?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=112550

This was the most detailed plot outline Ive done and the notes as you read them didnt take much to make them readable in the post.

Other than that I prepare the NPC villain stats the week before I think I'll need them.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Colt47
Champion
Comment: Keeper of the Pies

Unread post by Colt47 »

I honestly worry more about adventures than I do campaigns. The problem with campaigns is that people get so wrapped up in trying to make this big elaborate story, that they don't do anything to construct the adventures beyond "here is scene A, now we move on to scene B". A campaign should be a string of well handled adventures that link together, which means building the layout of the area to be explored, detailing the individual compartments (rooms, fields, yards, etc.), getting the reason down why the players are even there to begin with, writing down the possible outcomes of the adventure, and building the challenges that the players will be facing up against in the adventure.
Norbu the Enchanter: Hello friends! What brings you to my shop today?

Big Joe: We need some things enchanted to take a beating...

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Big Joe: We need you to enchant this Liver, this heart, and these kidneys.

Norbu: :shock:
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Colt47 wrote:I honestly worry more about adventures than I do campaigns. The problem with campaigns is that people get so wrapped up in trying to make this big elaborate story, that they don't do anything to construct the adventures beyond "here is scene A, now we move on to scene B". A campaign should be a string of well handled adventures that link together, which means building the layout of the area to be explored, detailing the individual compartments (rooms, fields, yards, etc.), getting the reason down why the players are even there to begin with, writing down the possible outcomes of the adventure, and building the challenges that the players will be facing up against in the adventure.
Thats why I run mine the way I do.
I plot out each adventure (usually self contained but with "hints" to the over all arc) After I plot out the "Season" Arc. (by Plot out I mean I laid a loose out line for each episode as well as a loose outline for the over all arc.)
I even did one that ended up as a 5 "season" grand arc
Each season had an arc that led into the next season and tied into the grand finale (and each season had 24 episodes that logically led one into the next but was self contained as well).
I got inspired after pulling a marathon of the entire run of Bab5.
Colt47
Champion

Unread post by Colt47 »

Damian Magecraft wrote:
Colt47 wrote:I honestly worry more about adventures than I do campaigns. The problem with campaigns is that people get so wrapped up in trying to make this big elaborate story, that they don't do anything to construct the adventures beyond "here is scene A, now we move on to scene B". A campaign should be a string of well handled adventures that link together, which means building the layout of the area to be explored, detailing the individual compartments (rooms, fields, yards, etc.), getting the reason down why the players are even there to begin with, writing down the possible outcomes of the adventure, and building the challenges that the players will be facing up against in the adventure.
Thats why I run mine the way I do.
I plot out each adventure (usually self contained but with "hints" to the over all arc) After I plot out the "Season" Arc. (by Plot out I mean I laid a loose out line for each episode as well as a loose outline for the over all arc.)
I even did one that ended up as a 5 "season" grand arc
Each season had an arc that led into the next season and tied into the grand finale (and each season had 24 episodes that logically led one into the next but was self contained as well).
I got inspired after pulling a marathon of the entire run of Bab5.

That's pretty much the right way to handle a "campaign", at least by my own knowledge. Right now I'm planning out (okay, more like idea farming than planning) a horror game that I may try running in the palladium system. Consequently, what I listed up in my above post is kind of an unorganized generalization of the method by which I am planning to build the adventure. On a side note, building a good horror adventure is a lot harder than I thought it would be. :-o

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Icefalcon
Champion

Horror is hard to handle because you have to maintain the atmosphere of terror. It is easier to maintain in a short session.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Icefalcon wrote:Horror is hard to handle because you have to maintain the atmosphere of terror. It is easier to maintain in a short session.
Vague descriptions are key... let the players over active imaginations do the work for you; At least where the "monster" is concerned any way...
I recommend looking at Lovecraft's descriptive style it shows how vague can keep the tension high. (they are called Indescribable Horrors for a reason).
Chronicle
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Your Local Lurker. THAT'S the Reality.....

Email: Chronos47@gmail.com

Unread post by Chronicle »

Chronicle wrote:i tend to build a basic plan......i often see players do a 180 and totally go off the beaten path.....Tried carrots to lead them away, but sometimes the players want a different direction.

So, i usually take a go with the flow type situation and react rather then plan too far ahead. There is always a chance to derail and go to places you never even thought you would go.

My current campaign was shaping up to be a city builder, did the research (google maps is nice) and had it ready by the next week......Then the players decided to take a trip to queens harbor lol...once they got there they went looking for work and i tossed a few ideas.......offered credits and now we have a direction.

It is some of the best parts of gaming when the unexpected happens and the expected gets tossed out the window.

so planning.......not so much, i am a seat of my chair type of GM, only planning 2 steps ahead rather then 5 lol

Amendment:

Looks like my most recent session went south with player disagreement, i pushed forward and gods bless my players (or what ever form of higher power you choose to believe in if any) they are toughing it out.
Your local Lurker and Temporal Wizard Extrodinaire,

Chronicle

Cosmic Forge or bust.

Love me some Phood

Where is the wood in Wormwood.

"How Are you a Super Power" -Sterling Archer
Sir Dellis
Explorer
Comment: There is nothing like wearing Maize and Blue in a sea of putrid Scarlet and Gray.

Unread post by Sir Dellis »

My players like to travel alot and have several "bases"/homes throughout the palladium world so I ask them their travel plans. Currently, they have 3 places they want to go:

Wisdom (eastern territory)
Bryant (a homebrew town 50 or so miles west of Wisdom)
Ophidia (Western Empire)
Wynglade Marshes - southern ET

I plan a base adventure/encounter for each town, create an outline based on the HLS (hook, line, sinker) format.

I am creating a couple Big Bads (one of the players is a ginormous buffy fan) that will be recurring themes.

Outside of this, I try to free flow as much as possible because I can't plan for every outcome, because I can't.
Tyberius
Wanderer

Unread post by Tyberius »

I'm trying to plan out my first GM campaign ever, in a PbP. So this is a great thread to get some perspective and thoughts about how to do it. Thanks guys.
ZorValachan
Adventurer

Unread post by ZorValachan »

I railroad and am the conductor. But the train is in a tunnel with no light and the players/characters are blind. I give them a ton of 'options', but the one I know they will pick leads to where I want them to go and they do. Then I can plan a good adventure and be prepared for anything. The illusion of choice is much better than actual choice. Actual choice leads to people wondering if they chose wisely and being dissapointment with their choice instead of enjoying it. Somewhere online it is summed up by a peanutbutter theory. I beleive it.
Colt47
Champion

Unread post by Colt47 »

ZorValachan wrote:I railroad and am the conductor. But the train is in a tunnel with no light and the players/characters are blind. I give them a ton of 'options', but the one I know they will pick leads to where I want them to go and they do. Then I can plan a good adventure and be prepared for anything. The illusion of choice is much better than actual choice. Actual choice leads to people wondering if they chose wisely and being dissapointment with their choice instead of enjoying it. Somewhere online it is summed up by a peanutbutter theory. I beleive it.

The problem isn't choice, it's not understanding what choice is. A choice is a scenario where all options are evenly measured in their results, as in there isn't a best one. Picking which path to take on a fork when they both ultimately lead to the same end location and are equally challenging to traverse is a good example of choice. Picking between a sword and a pistol with two full magazines of ammo is an example of something that isn't a choice. Unfortunately, creating real choices can be a challenging proposition and is one of the reasons it takes me a while to make an adventure.

Also I've had bad experiences with people who claim to play "the illusion of choice" card, largely because there is no illusion. :lol:

Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

Choice isn't hard - it's simply something that can influence the outcome of the campaign.

That's why 'save the world' campaigns are pretty much railroaded, unless the PC's are genuinely suicidal.

If your campaign only has one ending, that's what makes it hard to add genuine choices.
ZorValachan
Adventurer

Unread post by ZorValachan »

Noon wrote:Choice isn't hard - it's simply something that can influence the outcome of the campaign.

That's why 'save the world' campaigns are pretty much railroaded, unless the PC's are genuinely suicidal.

If your campaign only has one ending, that's what makes it hard to add genuine choices.

Once had a GM who had a 'save the world' campaign. We couldn't go left if he wanted us to go right. Towns burned down when we went to one we were not supposed to go. At the end, we (as players and our characters) just sat down and let the world end.

As a player, I learned this is unacceptable for a GM to do. As a GM, I move the encounter town to the one the players want. I tweak and alter as needed, but the encounter runs the same, etc. The bar fight will happen, even if it is in an alley, or out in the woods... The players and their characters have the choice in how to fight-or not (diplomacy, running, etc.)
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

I put in a lot and somehow every game someone sneaks a power past me that screws up everything. "What do you mean you can sense its 'true nature'?

Still, I am getting better. Just wish I didn't have to be as strict with what my players can and cannot play.
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
Icefalcon
Champion

Akashic Soldier wrote:I put in a lot and somehow every game someone sneaks a power past me that screws up everything. "What do you mean you can sense its 'true nature'?

Still, I am getting better. Just wish I didn't have to be as strict with what my players can and cannot play.

I hear you. It happens to me every time. I have someone sneak a power past me and it screws up everything I had planned for one of the bigger encounters. I also wish I didn't have to put restrictions on what I allow my players to play.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Icefalcon wrote:
Akashic Soldier wrote:I put in a lot and somehow every game someone sneaks a power past me that screws up everything. "What do you mean you can sense its 'true nature'?

I hear you. It happens to me every time. I have someone sneak a power past me and it screws up everything I had planned for one of the bigger encounters. I also wish I didn't have to put restrictions on what I allow my players to play.
one of the advantages of off the cuff (or spontaneous) GMing is the ability to adapt to what the players do and have.
It does however take time and practice to be able to work with anything that comes down the pike.

One reason I spend the first session of an on going campaign on character creation is to watch the PCs being created and see just what kind of experience they expect from the game/
Akashic Soldier
Knight

Damian Magecraft wrote:One reason I spend the first session of an on going campaign on character creation is to watch the PCs being created and see just what kind of experience they expect from the game/

I can handle ANY power with ease except the powers that allow them to reduce a hard plotted out mystery plot to a dice roll. Then I am left feeling "Man, what is even the point..."

Honestly, I would be less disheartened if they could level a city with the blink of an eye. Its just when they can unravel my entire plot effortlessly that I get my panties in a twist. I dont believe in retconing powers or nerfing them (I like to be a fair and just GM) but its happened to me TWICE now and it is by far my least favorite thing about GMing. Especially when you spend days planning and taking notes and stating **** out.
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
Icefalcon
Champion

RuneKatana wrote:
Akashic Soldier wrote:i dont believe in retconing powers or nerfing them (I like to be a fair and just GM) but its happened to me TWICE now and it is by far my least favorite thing about GMing. Especially when you spend days planning and taking notes and stating **** out.

Don't you guys ask for or have access to copies of their character sheets?

When you are planning out a campaign, you can't remember every power that the players have, even if you have the sheet right there next to you. I run for a group of eight. When writing my adventures, I put in a lot of "if they do this, then this happens" as I try to anticipate what they can do and what they have come up with in the past. This problem is especially prevalent in Palladium games. There are so many powers, that I would get no writing done if I checked and rechecked all of their powers, flipping through books to see how it can be used and how it can be used in new and weird ways.

Like Akashic, I do not believe in nerfing powers of the players. I would much rather adjust my running style so that the characters game have fun. However, there are certain classes that I do have to ban from certain games so that all of the players are keeping within the games overall theme. For example, I wouldn't allow anyone to play a Cosmo Knight in any game that I run that is not set in the Three Galaxies/Phase World setting. Even then, I have run a mercenary game in that dimension and did ban the Cosmo Knight for that game. If I run a game where I don't want the players to play a spellcaster, then I ban all spell using classes (this is just an example, I almost never do this short of a Coalition story). If I come across a truly broken power, I just note it for future games that is is not allowed (such as the special abilities from Black Market).

For the most part, I try to build the story around what each of the players have made for characters. Sometimes as a GM, I think of a really cool story line I want to try and it winds up that the players decide they are going to play characters that don't really fit into that vision. In this way they can also break the game because I didn't anticipate that type of character into the story (even though it is rare for me to not to be able to roll with the punches and modify the story on the fly, hence the reason I keep a log of what happens in the game).
Akashic Soldier
Knight

Icefalcon wrote:If I come across a truly broken power, I just note it for future games that is is not allowed (such as the special abilities from Black Market).

*blinks in shock*

I agreed with EVERYTHING in your post except this which honestly shocked me! What makes you think the Black Market abilities are broken? Other than the one that potentially allows you to detect lies (and even that is a roll) I couldn't see how any of them could be a problem and its not like they're free you have to give up Related Skill slots for them (and to me that is a big deal)?

Return to “G.M.s Forum”