Running Games with Chaos and Law in them as underlying plots

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Kovoston
Rifter® Contributer

Running Games with Chaos and Law in them as underlying plots

Unread post by Kovoston »

Quick question,

I know that Palladium doesn't have Law and Chaos as the theme of many of the books and concepts (though in a couple of them do mention it briefly) how many of you G.M.'s have Chaos and Law as themes or underlying plots in your games. and what is your angle on Chaos? (either with gods or villains or whatever).

Thanks!
scottypotty
D-Bee

Re: Running Games with Chaos and Law in them as underlying plots

Unread post by scottypotty »

While I've never specifically focused on law or chaos, I believe they can be important forces in a game. For chaos, I would try to imagine the psychological makeup of the individual. They're probably going to be selfish, to a point where not much else matters. Thus they would indeed be evil, self-serving, and untrustworthy. Although it is not simply black and white. Someone bent on chaos may do good deeds out of love or respect. And someone bent on law may commit evil acts or neglect to right a moral wrong because it happens to be for the greater good. The law is the greater good for the most part. So good and evil are not synonymous with law and chaos.

It may be interesting to see who the real villians are among the NPCs in a game of law and chaos. I'm assuming they'd be on both sides.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The problem with Chose and Order consepts as they are used in RPG is that Chaos is not inherently evil and order is not inherently good. These are just ideas that have been linked to them in culture.

Good can be, and sometimes at it's best, is chaotic.
And Evil can use 'order', "law", to be even more evil then they could if not in charge of 'the rules'.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:The problem with Chose and Order consepts as they are used in RPG is that Chaos is not inherently evil and order is not inherently good. These are just ideas that have been linked to them in culture.

How exactly is this a problem? The fact that it's a grey area is what makes it a compelling theme.

As to the OP, when I feel like running a game with a moral concept attached, it is one of them. I've also included themes like that into the base setting as well. Mostly the theme of the Old Ones (i.e the Chaos Lords), and the Angels, who where altered to not be 'good' but order. They don't take sides in mortal affairs of morality, but follow a pre-established code of law which they enforce through military and magical might.
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Cinos wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:The problem with Chose and Order consepts as they are used in RPG is that Chaos is not inherently evil and order is not inherently good. These are just ideas that have been linked to them in culture.

How exactly is this a problem? .

Because people use the concept of "order" to mean "good", and the concept of "Chaos" as "Evil", When They Are Not.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Kovoston
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Kovoston »

Thanks to all who replied, I'm grateful for the insights!

:)
G
Antimony
D-Bee

when is Chaos "good"?

Unread post by Antimony »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Cinos wrote:

How exactly is this a problem? .

Because people use the concept of "order" to mean "good", and the concept of "Chaos" as "Evil", When They Are Not.

I can see when "Order" can become bad; "Chaos" and "Law," too. But when is "Chaos" a good thing? Mobs and anarchy are the epitome of chaos; I'd think those are more apt to injure than, say, peaceful demonstrations.
:rose:
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Evil is deliberate, chaos could unchosen.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited

Return to “G.M.s Forum”