Yucca Mountan

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

mellowmaveric
Megaversal® Ambassador

Yucca Mountan

Unread post by mellowmaveric »

When the Black Market book is done, which I'm assuming is including Area 51 and Vegas, Yucca Mountain should be included since it is designed to be a repository for the nuclear waste for the Eastern sea board. In addition Northern Nevada should be included because it has no strategic value. There is a strong Native American prescience in the state and Yucca Mountain was largely protested by them as well. Lake Tahoe is also one of the largest lakes in the nation providing the potential for a large survivability rate for those who survived the coming of the rifts.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Yucca Mountan

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Yucca Mt. was taken off the list of places to put nuclear wast by Obama. So that question is moot at the moment. Some other pres. might re-activate it, or it might be turned into a 'Black Site' depository of stuff. (Monster's vs Aliens: monster containment base, Warehouse 13, the warehouse with the ark of the covenant, etc...)

Or it might be turned into a NEMA base.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
mellowmaveric
Megaversal® Ambassador

That sounds like a recipe for all kinds of bad ju-ju. Just because he has taken it off the list does not mean it could be reactivated later for the original intended use.
cchopps
Adventurer

Unread post by cchopps »

Who is working on a Blackmarket book? I didn't know that had been announced. :) :) :)
Armorlord
Hero

Unread post by Armorlord »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Yucca Mt. was taken off the list of places to put nuclear wast by Obama. So that question is moot at the moment. Some other pres. might re-activate it, or it might be turned into a 'Black Site' depository of stuff. (Monster's vs Aliens: monster containment base, Warehouse 13, the warehouse with the ark of the covenant, etc...)

Eah, generally take any 'modern' events with a bag of salt since Rifts Earth history is more likely to be fairly divergent, particularly when you take into account the portions of its history that weren't even there before the Coming of the Rifts.
Given that the Golden Age of Rifts Earth embraced nuclear power systems, Yucca is likely a fuel reprocessing center. This is where I find a soapbox and shake certain fellow countrymen violently normally, but I'll stick to the short version of China Syndrome was just a movie, not a single person was harmed in any way at Three Mile Island, and just start reprocessing the fuel you paranoid ****s.:badbad: :x *cough* :erm: ...Moving on, given the natural paranoid toward nuclear materials in the US, Yucca seems like a prime location since it is out of the way, already associated with nuclear materials, and already has waste stored on site.
Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience. -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
It's not impossible, it's just really unfair. :( -Trance Gemini (Andromeda)
Tarnow and Romanov: Neighbors!

Politeness is not a shield, and criticism is not a sword to swing repeatedly.
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

cchopps wrote:Who is working on a Blackmarket book? I didn't know that had been announced. :) :) :)

I seem to recall some mention of it a while back....not sure who was working on it now.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Giant glowing rock-burrowing worms have taken over Yucca Mountain...or maybe it's a kingdome of Worm-Wraiths...That's my take... :twisted:
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
mellowmaveric
Megaversal® Ambassador

I have heard mention of the book several times. Progress not so much. Just figured I would offer some ideas for when more work is actually nailed down for the book. I moved to Nevada last year so my interest in the area has blossomed. Not much has been said about the north west in general. Primary focus seems to be from Texas on Eastward. I know they have a slammed schedule and only so many writers but as a resident of the West Coast for most of my life my interest has been long burning for writings hereabouts. I'm sure everyone has an interest in what happened to their home state and or town so maybe if they were to ask locals to form forums to gather and consolidate ideas and suggestions to may help speed along the process. Fan input would be a great way to make sure nothing is overlooked and they would love to see their name in the contributing credits I am sure as well. Just a suggestion for those in charge. Take it as you will.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Kahuna wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Yucca Mt. was taken off the list of places to put nuclear wast by Obama. So that question is moot at the moment. Some other pres. might re-activate it, or it might be turned into a 'Black Site' depository of stuff. (Monster's vs Aliens: monster containment base, Warehouse 13, the warehouse with the ark of the covenant, etc...)

Or was it only taken off the list "publicly" :-D

:-D I did mention something about a "black site" depository. ;) ;)
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
mellowmaveric
Megaversal® Ambassador

Well if it is a black site depository then I would imagine it would be overseen by an A.R.C.H.I.E. type A.I. and defenses galore. A small production facility powered by a reactor that uses the waste left over from our horrid past.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

mellowmaveric wrote:Well if it is a black site depository then I would imagine it would be overseen by an A.R.C.H.I.E. type A.I. and defenses galore. A small production facility powered by a reactor that uses the waste left over from our horrid past.

Thermocouples using the heat from nuclear decay or an experimental radiation-to-usable energy system.
Problem is, other byproducts from the waste could be leeching into the environmental system, unless it's thoroughly sealed of and separated by a mile or so of rock.
And the AI's gone bloody mad(or is the only sane thing left in the whole establishment).
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Rifts®”