Need a hand with an ongoing project: Environmental Dangers

Chaos Earth is here & now. Let the Chaos ensue.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Jason Richards
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Need a hand with an ongoing project: Environmental Dangers

Unread post by Jason Richards »

Something I wanted to include in Chaos Earth: First Responders was a unified set of rules for environmental dangers, but the start of my research quickly showed me that it was too big a job for such a small sourcebook. Also, I wanted to be able to make it available to all game lines, not just Chaos Earth.

Obviously a completely consistent set of rules is impossible, as all situations vary a little bit from one to the next, but a general rule set should be attainable. What I need from all of you is a list of references to existing, canon rules for every imaginable type of elemental condition. Just give me the particular condition, book, and page number. It can be from any Palladium game.

Some examples of what I'm looking for are:

Heat stroke
Hypothermia
Suffocation
Drowning
Vacuum
Starvation
Dehydration

Basically any type of exposure.

This is going to be one of my little side projects for a while, and I could use the help! Thanks.
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Re: Need a hand with an ongoing project: Environmental Dangers

Unread post by keir451 »

I believe Hypothermia is covered in Rifts Canada, don't remember the pages.
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

Starvation, dehydration, fever and general weakness from disease (among other things) are in Dead Reign: Civilization Gone pg. 35-37

Penalties for smoke exposure/inhalation are in R:UE pg 140 (item block 1 under Burster), complete with associated suffocation!

I'm sure there's more, but these are what immediately came to mind.
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

Here's more!

Deadly Heat Effect Table as listed in HU2 under the APS: Fire super ability on pg. 242 (goes up to 700+ degrees.

Also in HU2 is the Control Radiation power with the listed effects of radiation poisoning under 'Generate Extreme Levels of Deadly Radiation'.
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
Jeffrey W.
Explorer
Comment: Provider of quality Palladium Books gaming sessions in the Panama Canal Zone, Orlando Florida, Dallas Texas, Palladium Open House 2007, and Heidelberg Germany.

Unread post by Jeffrey W. »

Heat Exhaustion is detailed with the first four paragraphs on page 15, Palladium RPG Book VII: Yin-Sloth Jungles.

This information is expanded with Water Consumption rules (page 17) and more Heat Exhaustion info (page 18), Palladium RPG Book IX: The Baalgor Wastelands.

Hypothermia page 141-143, Starvation page 144, Dehydration page145, Atmospherics/Hypoxia page 146, Palladium RPG Book XIV: Land of the Damned One Chaos Lands

More Hypothermia information can be found on pages 24-27 of Rifts World Book 20: Rifts Canada.

Jeffrey W.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i beleive drowning can probably be found in WB7: underseas
vacuum should be in either MiO or AUGG.

are you going to include radiation exposure effects? i think thats the only one we've not got info on. not just the posioning from high levels, but the effects of lower level exposure, with notes on cumulative exposure?
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

I thought there was some info in Dinosaur Swamp. If nobody has confirmed by the time I get home from work in about 5 hours I'll double check
Jason Richards

thanks for the info so far. however, I don't need just one reference per type of exposure. I need ALL of the references in the canon, hence the need for all the help. I don't want to miss anything. :)
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Dustin Fireblade wrote:I thought there was some info in Dinosaur Swamp. If nobody has confirmed by the time I get home from work in about 5 hours I'll double check

WB 27: Adv in Dinosaur Swamp starting on page 13 has Starvation, Bad Water, Dehydration, Heat Exhaustion and a section concerning elements and hygiene.

There's also a section concerning tropical storms and hurricanes.
Jason Richards

weather events would be good as well, but I know there is a TON of conflict there. anything for earthquakes outsde the elemental spell?

Jason Richards

duck-foot wrote:yes jason please include radiation affects. with the magic coming back to earth and the volcano exploding it had to set off alot of those nukes. so there should be huge areas of earth covered in radiation.

I certainly will do my best. This side project isn't yet forgotten. :ok:

The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Radiation poisoning.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Jeffrey W.
Explorer
Comment: Provider of quality Palladium Books gaming sessions in the Panama Canal Zone, Orlando Florida, Dallas Texas, Palladium Open House 2007, and Heidelberg Germany.

Young Freud wrote:Is there anything for surviving and getting out of a collapse? I've often imagine people in PA-Rifts running across dead NEMA personnel whose armor allowed them to survive a building falling on them, but they couldn't escape and either starved to death or killed themselves.

That's funny that you mentioned that, because that's happened to so many player characters in numerous Rifts games. I laugh every time I see an armored character bring down a structure on himself in a game using M.D. weaponry. Or even more funny, when the other characters tell him, "Just hang tight, we'll come back for you later".

Jeffrey W.
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

I might be wrong, but I believe the "excavation" skill covers collapses. Of course, that could be expanded into a section all its own as well I believe.
Jeffrey W.
Explorer

Dustin Fireblade wrote:I might be wrong, but I believe the "excavation" skill covers collapses. Of course, that could be expanded into a section all its own as well I believe.

I think you're right. Excavation & Rescue, Rifts Chaos Earth RPG Book page 131, does seem to cover exactly that. I guess gamemasters would adjust those skill roll percentages when taking into consideration the situation, tools available, etc.

I would certainly deem this skill appropriate to dig out a trapped fellow character, but do you think this is appropriate for a character to free oneself if trapped using this skill? I'm not sure it is, but if it were, it would have to carry a very high skill penalty that would make it nearly impossible for success (to more closely mirror the dire situation). It would seem that the mobility needed to perform this skill is exactly what is missing when characters are trapped in a collapse (sometimes, but not always). Ask the gamemaster?

Are your thoughts on this similar, or do you see it another way?

Jeffrey W.
RoadWarriorFWaNK
Comment: on a death march

Unread post by RoadWarriorFWaNK »

Rifts Aftermath has information on surviving in collapsed structures.
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Jeffrey W. wrote:
Dustin Fireblade wrote:I might be wrong, but I believe the "excavation" skill covers collapses. Of course, that could be expanded into a section all its own as well I believe.

I think you're right. Excavation & Rescue, Rifts Chaos Earth RPG Book page 131, does seem to cover exactly that. I guess gamemasters would adjust those skill roll percentages when taking into consideration the situation, tools available, etc.

I would certainly deem this skill appropriate to dig out a trapped fellow character, but do you think this is appropriate for a character to free oneself if trapped using this skill? I'm not sure it is, but if it were, it would have to carry a very high skill penalty that would make it nearly impossible for success (to more closely mirror the dire situation). It would seem that the mobility needed to perform this skill is exactly what is missing when characters are trapped in a collapse (sometimes, but not always). Ask the gamemaster?

Are your thoughts on this similar, or do you see it another way?

Jeffrey W.

Sorry I didn't see this until now.

I don't believe it would be a huge benefit to someone trapped, especially if they are pinned in place. At best, I could see them relaying advice to another to create a "pocket" to prevent further collapse.

Now if they were in a situation that allowed them to move around more freely, then I believe it would be a great skill to have to either escape or again just to create a safe pocket until someone on the outside could get them out.
Jason Richards

Thought I'd ttt this since it came up in my "what free resource do you want" thread. If you have anything to add to this list, please chime in.

jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

Vacuum exposure is covered in the new Robotech books as the skill Space survival in the wilderness skill section. Of course there is no detail int he book as to WHAT YOU DO when exposed to a vacuum. I have read you need to slowly exhale so as to not rupture your lungs.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
Nadrakas
Explorer
Comment: Strength through Unity, Unity through Faith!

Unread post by Nadrakas »

Jason Richards wrote:
duck-foot wrote:yes jason please include radiation affects. with the magic coming back to earth and the volcano exploding it had to set off alot of those nukes. so there should be huge areas of earth covered in radiation.

I certainly will do my best. This side project isn't yet forgotten. :ok:

Don't forget that per Mutants in Orbit, the Orbital MilSats launched attacks on the surface too. So there would be blast craters with the accompanying radiation in the surrounding areas, and some of those would be in the cities -- especially ones that have large NEMA contingents.

I know this is a little beyond the scope of Chaos Earth: First Responders, but I'd love to know what caused the Moscova Crater. :nuke:

~ N
Chicago Broadcast, 12 DEC 2098, M.P.: wrote:We are the People of Earth. Those Things are not of Earth. Our path is clear and simple. We belong here, they do not. I, for one, will do everything in my power to close the Gates so we can send those things back to whatever Hell they came from!! NOW, WHO IS WITH ME!!!

Visit Nadrakas's RPG Corner
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Unread post by csbioborg »

the WB Xitic has some rules on suffocating
in regards tothat resisn gun

I am fairly certain the CB2 basklisk entry talks about suffocating in regards to being trapped in PA that has been turned to stone
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

CB1 pg 120
Petrification: The basilisk can turn its victims into stone with its
crimson gaze (eye beams). The creature struck by the beams must save
vs magic by rolling 13 or higher (even inanimate objects get a save in
this situation), or be turned to stone. Characters in vehicles and power
armor are lucky in that there is a 1-90% likelihood that only the body
of the vehicle or power armor is transformed by the terrible eye beams.
But the oxygen supply inside the vehicle or power armor is limited to
4D6 minutes and the mechanism is completely useless and immobilized.
To escape, the victim(s) inside must break out or be broken out by
others or suffocate when the air is gone.

wb23
pg 51-52
Penalty Modifiers on the Victim when the "head" is covered.
Thankfully, since the Digger and Queens are not instinctive
fighters, they do not fight to kill and are usually satisfied
with stopping or trapping their adversary. This means that neither
the Digger nor the Queen will intentionally spit resin on
the head of an opponent unless they have witnessed their
adversary use some form of dangerous attack that originates
from the head, such as flaming breath or energy blasts that
shoot from the eyes. The Queen will not hesitate in "globbing"
the head (the victim will suffocate and die in five minutes).
However, the Digger is not savvy enough to do so on his own.
A Queen, Hunter, Warrior, or other authority figure would
have to suggest the tactic to the Digger.
Any creature whose head is encased in the thick glob
will begin to suffocate even before the resin hardens. Quick
action is needed as the average human or D-Bee will lose consciousness
in two or three minutes and die from suffocation in
five. Only those who don't need to breathe air (via magic or
supernatural nature) can hold their breath for a longer period
than a human, or those who have an independent oxygen supply
via cybernetics or environmental body armor can survive
longer. Likewise, those wearing a helmet with a face
mask/visor/air filter may catch an air pocket and have 1D4
extra minutes of air. Even an M.D.C. creature can suffocate,
although it typically takes 10-100 times longer, and many
supernatural beings don't need to breath air.
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
csbioborg
Champion

RoadWarriorFWaNK wrote:Rifts Aftermath has information on surviving in collapsed structures.

pg 14 Rifts Aftermath
dyhydration, starvation, infection ruls

CB1 pg 84
Encase in Ice
Range: Six feet (1.8m) per level of experience.
Duration: Until melts or broken
Saving throw: None
P.P.E.: 40
The warlock can magically encase any object or a portion of someone's
body in a block of ice. The item will remain in the ice block
until it is broken free or the ice melts. The encasement has 10 M.D.C.
and also inflicts 4D6 S.D.C. damage to bare flesh. Encasing somebody's
head in ice is possible and will temporarily blind him and will render
him unconscious in two minutes and suffocates in six minutes. Ice
disappears instantly if the warlock wills it to.
CB1 pg 67

Snow Storm
Range: Affects a 30 foot (9 m) area per level of the warlock and can
be cast 50 feet (15.5 m) away per level of experience.
Duration: Two minutes (8 melees) per level of the warlock.
Saving throw: none
P.P.E.: 50
Drops the temperature to 15 degrees Fahrenheit, creates 30 mph
winds and snow and hail with a three foot (0.9) accumulation every
other melee/30 seconds. Reduces speed by half and vision, including
optics, to 20 feet (6 m), and inflicts 10 S.D.C. points of damage each
melee.
Last edited by csbioborg on Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
csbioborg
Champion

Dustin Fireblade wrote:
Dustin Fireblade wrote:I thought there was some info in Dinosaur Swamp. If nobody has confirmed by the time I get home from work in about 5 hours I'll double check

WB 27: Adv in Dinosaur Swamp starting on page 13 has Starvation, Bad Water, Dehydration, Heat Exhaustion and a section concerning elements and hygiene.

There's also a section concerning tropical storms and hurricanes.

Dinosaur Swamp WB26 pg 41-46 talks abut diesases
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

There's also foot rot in swampy areas. I Why my characters always pack extra socks and clothing that will dry quickly when I go into a swampy area. See: PFRPG's Yen Sloth Jungle pg 14. It is very common.
Ankh, udja, seneb.

Return to “Rifts®: Chaos Earth™”