Need a hand with an ongoing project: Environmental Dangers

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Jason Richards
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Need a hand with an ongoing project: Environmental Dangers

Unread post by Jason Richards »

Something I wanted to include in Chaos Earth: First Responders was a unified set of rules for environmental dangers, but the start of my research quickly showed me that it was too big a job for such a small sourcebook. Also, I wanted to be able to make it available to all game lines, not just Chaos Earth.

Obviously a completely consistent set of rules is impossible, as all situations vary a little bit from one to the next, but a general rule set should be attainable. What I need from all of you is a list of references to existing, canon rules for every imaginable type of elemental condition. Just give me the particular condition, book, and page number. It can be from any Palladium game.

Some examples of what I'm looking for are:

Heat stroke
Hypothermia
Suffocation
Drowning
Vacuum
Starvation
Dehydration

Basically any type of exposure.

This is going to be one of my little side projects for a while, and I could use the help! Thanks.
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
Prysus
Champion

Re: Need a hand with an ongoing project: Environmental Dangers

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. I don't know every book, naturally, but I'll tell you what I do know. Though, for the record, not sure why you chose the Palladium Fantasy forum for this (this sounds like a pretty general question). I'm not sure if it was an oversight, or you're looking primarily for PF sources, so I'll lead with those.

1. Palladium Fantasy Book VII; Yin-Sloth Jungles: It discusses things such as Quicksand starting on page 10 and moves onto other things such as Poisonous Plants, Illness, and Heat Exhaustion (page 14-15).

2. Palladium Fantasy Book 9; Baalgor Wastelands: It talks about Desert Climates (page 16), Water Consumption (Dehydration), Heat Exhaustion (page 18) and later has a small section titled Bad Weather (page 23-25).

3. Palladium Fantasy Book 13; Northern Hinterlands: It discussese Extreme Cold (page 23) including things like hypothermia and frostbite (page 26) and moves onto things like Snow Blindness, Avalanches, Snow Pits, and Deep Snow (up to page 30).

4. Rifts Canada; Book 20: It talks about the Dangers of the Cold (page 23) including Exhaustion & Exposure, Hypothermia, Frostbite, and moves onto things such as Snow Blindness, Avalanches, Snow Pits, and Deep Snow (up to page 30). Note: Yes, the pages numbers are the same as from Northern Hinterlands, this is not a typo, though both might be worth a read for comparison and ideas.

5. Aliens Unlimited Galaxy Guide: This book discusses surviving space, but I don't know the page number by heart and my book is a bit buried at the moment (I could get it, but it would be a pain). It's near the back though, near the new skill programs and skills, near the Cyber-Jacking rules too. Fairly sure it's in that area. I believe this may also be included in a Rifts book somewhere, but I can't remember which one.

6. The closest I can think of suffocation would be the above listed AUGG (possibly), W.P. Rope (from Splicers, which talks about strangling people with it), Choking (from Ninjas & Superspides), and I believe some Rifts book has notes on a Garrot Wire (but not positive). Those aren't exactly the same as suffocation, but might be useful for a jumping off point.

7. Rifts Underseas; Book 7: Page 10 talks about humans surviving Ocean Depths.

8. Rifts Book 26; Dinosaur Swamp: Page 40-47 discusses Diseases. Edit: Added like 5 minutes after the initial post.

9. Rifts Book 27; Adventures in Dinosaur Swamp: Hazards of the area are discussed (starting on page 11), Starvation (page 13), Bad Water, Dehydration (page 15), Heat Exhaustion (page 16), and things like Hygiene, Climate and Weather, and Hurricans and Tropical Storms (up to page 21). Edit: Added like 5 minutes after the initial post.

Those are the ones off the top of my head. Hopefully some of that helps. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys to one and all.

P.S. I wish Kuseru was here right now. He had good lists for stuff just like this.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Jason Richards
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Jason Richards »

I cross-posted this here and in the Rifts forum, as those are the two game lines with the greatest volume of material. Fantasy stands to benefit as much as any game.

Thanks for the references. Keep em coming. I really need every reference that's out there.
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. I had actually missed it in the Rifts forum, so I thought this was the only one (I had been thinking Rifts forum for traffic or G.M. or Q&A Forums for general rules). This works well though. With having taken a look at that thread, Crazy Lou did make me think of a few others (without doubling his).

10. Palladium Fantasy; Main Book: Notes on Aging (and penalties for it) are on page 33-34. Note: There is also an Invocation Spell called "Age."

11. Heroes Unlimited; Revised Second Edition Main Book: In the Alter Physical Structure Fire power (on page 242) from the effects of various heat temperatures.

12. Heroes Unlimited; Revised Second Edition Main Book: Control Radiation discusses a bit about that (page 268-270). It may not be the detail you want, but again could be a good jumping off point.

13. Heroes Unlimited; Revised Second Edition Main Book: Sonic Power discusses a bit about sound (page 288). It doesn't get into defeaning sounds until the really high decibel scale, but it's listed there as well which could be useful.

14. Heroes Unlimited; Revised Second Edition Main Book: Weight Manipulation (page 296) is also here. While this isn't really an environmental condition in itself, it could be a good basis for varying gravities.

15. Rifts Conversion Book One (original): Page 13 has Knockdown Rules, then Page 16-18 touches on Blood Loss, Pain Rules, and damaged from Point Blank Damage. The Compendium of Modern Weapons also has some of the rules and a random hit location to see which body part is hit (don't have the page numbers as I'd have to dig out the book). Ninjas & Superspies (in combat terms section) has a Save vs. Pain roll. These rules on their own aren't much of conditions, but they can apply to a lot. A hurricane or tornado may throw things around randomly (random table), or a going through something may cause pain so it shows how long the character can keep a cool head and focusing on getting out of the situation instead of pain, panicking, etc. Just some thoughts.

16. Spells: As Crazy Lou did mention some spells, those are an option as well. I'm hesitant to list them all separately (or page numbers because they're in so many books) I'm going to keep it more basic. Magic (like Super Powers) can often have different reactions than what they consider natural incidents, but I'll try to list some anyways.

Invocation Spells
Summon Fog; Level 11
Summon Storm; Level 13

Elemental (Warlock) Magic
Air; Cloud of Steam (Steam), Level 1
Air; Create Mild Wind (low wind), Level 1 and Wind Rush (60 mph wind), Level 3
Air; Snow Storm, Level 6 (also Water, Level 5)
Air; Hurricane, Level 7 (also Water, Level 6) and Tornado, Level 7
Earth; Dust Storm, Level 1
Earth; Earth Rumble, Level 3 and Earthquake, Level 8 (consider from low to high)
Earth; River of Lava, Level 7 (Lava, when that'll come up I have no idea, but a volcano may also tie into things like Earth Rumble before it goes off; also a Fire, Level 7 spell, maybe tie in with Cloud of Ash, level 2 as well if doing the volcano)
Fire; Drought, Level 8 (also Water, Level 8 as well)
Water; Create Fog, Level 1
Water; Hail, Level 4
Water; Whirlpool, Level 5
Water; Tidal Wave, Level 8

17. Dead Reign: Sadly, I can't find my book (I have it, just not sure where it is). But this seems like a place that may discuss effects such as Starvation and similar aspects from a survival type setting. I don't know for sure, it may not, just a place to consider checking as well. At the very least you may be able to ask someone who has their book available. Just another thought. ((Note: Okay, I found my book. Nothing in the main book that I saw, but there is some information in the two Sourcebooks that are listed below.))

Dark Places (Dead Reign Sourcebook): Game Notes on Drowning are found on page 57/58. The area discusses sewers/storm drains, but you may want to check it over for general notes as it also talks about Disease and airborne contaminants (page 53), Polluted Water, and Infected Wounds (up to page 59).

Civilization Gone (Dead Reign Sourcebook): On page 33 starts talking about dangers such as weather and goes onto things such as Insects & Wildlife, Available Food Supplies, Safe Drinking Water, Dehyrdation, Delirium, Flu & Food Poisoning, Muscle Stiffness, and Starvation up to page 37.

Okay, that should cover a bit more. Of course, this in addition to what I've listed and what Crazy Lou listed in the Rifts forum (I tried to avoid duplicating his answers). I only used my PF Main Book for the spells, but they're many other places (and other books may have more spells that I missed or I simply overlooked). Hopefully some of that helps as well. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”