Pharmacopia

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Pharmacopia

Unread post by azazel1024 »

The other night I was sitting down and having some thoughts on the pharmacopia (or lack there of) you'd have after the rise. Everything from home medicine cabinets to gas stations to grocery stores, pharmacies, hospitals, police stations, etc have medicines in them.

I came up with some random medicine tables for different locations (assuming not looted) and some effects. For some drugs and catagories there is a possiblity it appears (or a certainty), if so then there is a percentage that indicates the odds that it appears in the location. If the item has a () after it the number in the () is how much is left in the bottle/container. I haven't done pharmacies or hospitals yet.

Groccery store (gas stations and convenience stores have the same selection, but at 50% of the chance for those items with a random occurance and half the amount)
Analgesics, 2d6 bottles Tylenol (25), 2d6 ibuprofin (25), 2d6 aspirin (25), 01-70% Topical lidocaine (1d4 tubes of 20 applications)
Expoctorant, 1d4 Robitusant (20 doses)
Antiallergen, 01-70% Claritin (2d4 20 doses), 3d4 benadryl (20 doses)
Antipruritic, 0-60% hydracortisone (1d4 50 doses), 0-75% calamine (1d6 50 doses)
Anitdiarrheal, 1d4 Peptobismal (50 doses), 1d6 Imodium (20 doses)
Antiseptic, 2d4 rubbing alcohol (25 doses), 1d6 hydrogen peroxide (25 doses), 01-60% bactine (25 doses)
1d6 Neosporin (15 doses)
Sopoforic, 1d4 Doxylamine (Niquil, 20 doses)

School nurses stations
Analgesics, 1d4 bottles Tylenol (4d6+1 doses), 1d4 ibuprofin (4d6+1), 1d4 aspirin (4d6+1), 01-40% Topical lidocaine (1 tube 3d6+2 doses)
Expoctorant, 01-30% Robitusant (3d6+2 doses)
Antiallergen, 01-40% benadryl (3d6+2 doses)
Antipruritic, 0-50% calamine (1d4x10+10 doses)
Antiseptic, 1d4 rubbing alcohol (4d6+1 doses), 01-80% hydrogen peroxide (4d6+1 doses)
01-30% Neosporin (2d6+3 doses)
Antibiotics, 01-20% Penicilin (3d4+2 doses), 01-30% Amoxycillin (2d4+4 doses)
Albuterol, 01-60% (3d4x10+20 doses)

Homes
Analgesics, 01-90% Tylenol (2d20+10), 01-90% ibuprofin (2d20+10), 01-80% aspirin (2d20+10), 01-60% Topical lidocaine (3d6+2), 01-25% Tylenol w/ codine (3d6+2), 01-10% percoset (3d6+2)
Expoctorant, 01-50% Robitusant (3d6+2 doses)
Antiallergen, 01-30% Claritin (3d6+2), 01-60% benadryl (3d6+2)
Antipruritic, 01-60% hydracortisone (2d20+10), 0-75% calamine (2d20+10)
Anitdiarrheal, 01-70% Peptobismal (2d20+10), 01-70% Imodium (3d6+2)
Antiseptic, 01-90% rubbing alcohol (2d20+10), 01-80% hydrogen peroxide (2d20+10), 01-60% bactine (4d6+1)
01-60% Neosporin (2d6+3 doses)
Steroid antiinflamatories, 01-10% prednisone (4d6+1)
Stimulants, 01-25% ephdrine (4d6+1), 01-25% Caffeine (pills 4d6+1)
Antibiotics, 01-20% Penicilin (4d6+1), 01-20% Amoxycillin (4d6+1), 01-05% Levofloxacin (4d6+1), 01-10% tetracycline (4d6+1)
Sopoforic, 01-70% Doxylamine (Niquil, 3d6+2 doses), 01-20% Benzodiazepine (3d6+2)
01-15% Dramamine (3d6+2)

Drug effects
Analgesics (duration 4hrs)
Ibuprofin and aspirin - Reduces inflamation, fever and pain. Reduce penalties related to these by -1/-5%
Tylenol - reduces fever and pain. Reduce penalties related to these by -1/-5%
Lidocaine - Reduces localized pain, reduce penalties related to this by -1/-5% (topical), -3/-20% (Intramuscular, IM)
Novocane (IM only) - reduces localized pain, reduce penalties related to this by -4/-30%
Tylenol w/ condine - Reduces fever and pain. Reduce penalties related to these by -2/-10%
Percoset - Reduces pain, Reduce penalties related to this by -3/-10%, however reduces coordination and reaction speed (-1 penalty to strike, parry, dodge)
Morphine (IM or IV) - Reduces pain, reduce penalties related to this by -5/-30%, however reduces coordination and reaction speed (-2 penalty to strike, parry and dodge)

Expectorant (duration 2hrs)
Robitusant - Reduces coughing and mucous. Any penalties from this are reduced by -2.

Antiallergen (duration 4hrs)
Claritin - Fights primarily exposure based allergies, such as pollen, dust, etc. Any penalties from this are reduced by -1.
Benadryl - Reduces swelling, pain and itching related to allergic reactions (bee stings, hives, etc) along with seasonal allergies. Any penalties from this are reduced by -2, however causes drowsiness (-1 to strike, parry, dodge, -5% skill penalty, but allows a person to sleep better)

Aniprutitic (duration 2hrs)
Hydracortisone - Reduces swelling and itching from bug bites, poison ivy, etc. Reduces penalties from this by -2
Calamine lotion - Reduces swelling and itching from bug bites, poison ivy, etc. Reduces penalties from this by -1

Antidiarrheal (duration 4hrs)
Peptobismal - Reduces intenstinal cramping and diarrhea. Reduces penalties from this by -2.
Imodium - Reduces intenstinal cramping and diarrhea. Reduces penalties from this by -3.

Antiseptic (immediate effect, for every 30 minutes after the wound occured reduce the bonus to fight infection by 1)
Washing with soap and water - Reduces the chance of infection, cleaning a wound. Reduces the chance of an infection by -1.
Rubbing alcohol - Reduces the chance of infection, cleaning a wound. Reduces the chance of an infection by -2.
Hydrogen peroxide - Reduces the chance of infection, cleaning a wound. Reduces the chance of an infection by -3.
Bactine - Reduces the chance of infection, cleaning a wound. Reduces the chance of an infection by -4.
Neosporin - Reduces the chance of infection, cleaning a wound. Reduces the chance of an infection by -5.
Tincture of Iodine - Reduces the chance of infection, cleaning a wound. Reduces the chance of an infection by -6.

Steroid antiinflamatories (4hrs)
Prednisone - Reduces swelling, joint and muscle pain associated with muscle/tendon/ligament injury along with severe allergic reactions. Reduces the penalties assciated with this by -3.
Cortisone (IM only) - Reduces swelling, joint and muscle pain associated with muscle/tendon/ligament injury along with severe allergic reactions. Reduces the penalties assciated with this by -5.

Albuterol (1hr) - reduces airway swelling, generally from allergic reaction or asthma. Reduces penalties from this by -3

Antibiotics (8hrs, 3 doses must be taken to be effective chance of recovery is every 24hrs) (can be used prophilacticlly to give the same bonus to prevent infection)
Sulfonamides - Used to combat bacterial infections. Gives +1 chance to recover from infection, +2 IV.
Penicillin - Used to combat bacterial infections. Gives +2 chance to recover from infection, +3 IV.
Amoxycillin - Used to combat bacterial infections. Gives +2 chance to recover from infection, +3 IV.
Tetracycline - Used to combat bacterial infections. Gives +3 chance to recover from infection (orally or IV).
Streptomycin (IV only) - Used to combat bacterial infections. Gives +4 chance to recover from infection.
Levofloxacin - Used to combat bacterial infections. Gives +4 chance to recover from infection, +5 IV.
Linezolid (IV only) - Used to combat severe infections. Gives a +6 chance to recover from infection.

Stimulants (4hrs)
Caffine pills - Reduces fatigue. Reduces fatigue penalties by -2/-10%
Ephedra - Reduces fatigue. Reduces fatigue penalties by -3/-20%
Ampakines - Reduces fatigue. Reduces fatigue penalties by -4/-30%

Sopoforic (6hrs)
Benzodiazepine - Causes drowsiness, aids sleep. -2 to strike, parry dodge and -20% on the performance of skills.
Doxylamine (found in nyquil) - Causes drowsiness, aids sleep. -3 to strike, parry dodge and -25% on the performance of skills.
Pentathol (IM or IV) - Causes drowsiness, aids sleep. -5 to strike, parry dodge and -40% on the performance of skills. Can be used to cause talkitivness as well (IE truth drug)
Phenobarbital (IM or IV) - Causes extreme drowsiness or sleep (used for surgery/anesthesia). -10 to strike, parry dodge and -70% on the performance of skills (will cause sleep for 1d4x10+20 minutes if a successful save is not made)

Dramamine - Reduces naseau, vertigo and sea sickness. Reduces the penalties from these by -3/-20%, however it causes drowsiness which induces a -1 to strike, parry, dodge and -10% skill performance penalty
azazel1024
Champion

Re: Pharmacopia

Now that you mentioned it I forgot to say.

A note on drug expiration.

With a few exceptions like liquid mixed drugs and some antibiotics (Ampicillin, which I didn't list/mention earlier), pill form drugs, even antibiotics tend to have an expiration date of around 2 years for more volitile things (like antibiotics, some painkillers, etc) and around 3-4 years for less volitile things (tylenol, hydrocortisone, nyquil, etc).

All of that being said, most drugs can be used at 2-5x their actual expiration date without harmful effects.

A good rule (RPG rule) of thumb is that the drug can be used fine at twice its box expiration date (just use 1 year liquid (IM/IV drugs), 2 years antibiotics, 4 years everything else). From 2-4x the expiration date the effectiveness is half what it used to be, so double the dosage is required for the same effectiveness. Then from 4-6x the expiration date the effectiveness is 1/4 what it was before, so it requires 4 doses to equal the effectiveness of a single dose.

Its a good enough rule of thumb (just don't necessarily try this in real life as a few drugs once they get past their expiration date, or are stored at high temps or humidities can become worthless or even toxic quickly. Most OTC stuff is pretty safe for way, way past its expiration date).

So that basically means that in the end your okay with a few exceptions (like refridgerate at all times drugs, since the power has been out for a long time) for at least a couple of years after the apocolypse up to maybe 10-15 years for some OTC stuff, at least at diminished effectiveness (and even several years for some antibiotics).

One herbal substitute for Asprin is willow bark. Willow leaves and bark contain salicylic acid which is a derivative of Aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) and aspirin was first derived from the salicylic acid in willow bark. Willow leaves have been used since at least the ancient greeks as a pain killer, though salicylic acid on its own causes nausea and gastric discomfort in some people, though it will work as a painkiller and fever reducer. Not that Phenol is easy to come by, but reacting it with CO2 is how acetylsalicylic acid is currently make (though you can still bond salicylic acid with an acetyl group to make aspirin). Willow trees aren't particularly rare in the US.
-Matt
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

Lets not forget Condoms and Plan B, both are over the counter and will last easily 4 years after the wave, but can make survival (and being willing to survive) easier.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
azazel1024
Champion

Well, menthol in general is a better pain soother/killer then using menthol tobacco. Simply get mint, crush it, soak it and apply it as a cool compress.

I can come up with an herbal list of what is good for what if anyone wants. I have a fairly extensive list already.
-Matt
azazel1024
Champion

Sorry, I've been working on it but work+life has been getting in the way. I'm not to busy today so I'll see if I can finish it off.
-Matt
azazel1024
Champion

Okay, here we go. I am not doing bonuses or anything else for these, this is just a straight list of ailments and herbal remedies. Sometimes the remedy is taken as straight injestion, sometimes rubbing it on the effected location, sometimes a salve needs to be made, it could the be the leaves, seeds, root, etc of the herb is used, maybe a tea is made, etc. I am not touching on that at the momement. I may get around to doing an RPG appropriate list of herbs, what they can do and what bonuses/etc they might give you (maybe something a bit like Rifts England).

Joint pain - Celery, Rosemary, St. John's Wort
Muscle pain - Chamomile, ginger, marjoram
Allergies - Echinacea
Pain relief - Clover, cloves, lavender, willow bark
Anti-allergic reaction - Echinacea, stinging nettle and chamomile
Antibacterial (topical) - cinnamon, turmeric, marjoram, lavender
Antibiotic (internal) - Echinacea, rosemary, sage
Anticoagulant - turmeric, pennywort
Antiinflamatory - anise, basil, chamomile, cinnamon, cloves, marjoram, rose hip, rosemary, St. John's wort, yarrow
Antiviral - Echinacea, rose hip, st. john's wort
Antifungal - Marjoram, turmeric
High blood pressure - Basil, celery, lemon, yarrow
Low blood pressure - rosemary
Blood sugar lowering - basil, pennywort
Broken bones - Comfrey
Cold sores - Echinacea, peppermint
Congestion - Comfrey, ginger
Cramps - Lemon grass, mint, peppermint
Digestive problems - bergamont, mint, peppermint
Exhaustion - Chamomile, jasmine, lavender
Fever - Ginger, lemon grass, yarrow, willow bark
Headaches - ginger, violet
Internal bleeding - yarrow
Parasites - Basil, cloves
Sedative - Chamomile, jasmine, lavender, st, john's wort
Stimulant - cloves, rosemary
Toothache - cloves
Vomiting - bergamont, lemon, mint
Weak pulse - Alfalfa, ginger
Wounds - Yarrow

That is by no means a complete list, but it should give you a good idea of different herbal remedies for various ailments that your characters might face in dead reign. The effectiveness of any given treatment can of course vary from none to extremely effective. One of these days I'll try to come up with something specifically for DR as a list of ailments and seperately the herbs themselves describing the herb, where it can be found its uses and what its effect is when used (say +1 on a saving roll, heals faster, etc, etc). Don't expect it any week soon though.
-Matt
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Great source marterial. Thank you for composing it for our use.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE

Return to “Dead Reign™”