Rifter 47 has shipped !

For the discussion of all things in the Rifter. As well as ideas for the Rifter and so on.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

AlexM
Palladium Books® Staff

Rifter 47 has shipped !

Unread post by AlexM »

It is on its way to our distributors, stores, subscribers and people who pre-ordered it, along with a complimentary, black and white, 2009 Catalog to subscribers and those who pre-ordered. Get all the other details here:

http://www.palladiumbooks.com/Merchant2 ... t_Code=147

Oh yeah,
Alex Marciniszyn
taalismn
Priest

Re: Rifter 47 has shipped !

Unread post by taalismn »

Particularly enjoy the 'Cargo Cults' in this one...taking an obscure, even tragic, cultural phenomenon and redeeming it in a way through the circumstances of Rifts Earth....
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
kevarin
Adventurer

Unread post by kevarin »

loved the fall or norad article even played part of it with my nephews befor thay left to
go back home

the new p101 heavy sub-machineguns are nice but didnt get to a point where they could
use the new samas designs tho would have been neat to see what they could do
http://kevarin.deviantart.com/# my little attempt to add some color to the Palladium world

My gun does 4d6x1000 MD! There's no way this guy is gonna survive.
-- Famous Last Words of Rifts Players
Lord Z
Hero
Comment: Court of Tarot author

Unread post by Lord Z »

I think I had more fun reading "Cargo! Cargo!" than any other Rifter article -- ever.
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
-- Charles Fort, The Book of the Damned, 1913
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

The Chaos Earth adventure is very well done. :ok:

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

Cargo Cults nice and different. Waiting 150 years for the good times to come back?
Nothing on using their magic copying, their new best friends of Blue and Green the New Navy's equipment. Or the other missing years of military and other cargo.
Does summoning Pinups and USO girls fall under "Crew Call" spell? :D

Chaos Earth NORAD good.
But needs more levels mapped so they can be renamed for System Failure use as well.
I hate it when my mind wonders,
Because I have no idea what it will bring back with it.

taalismn says -- Librarians assume the role of scholar-priest-kings in an increasinly illiterate society...

taalismn says -- Abtex...Unofficial archival mole for the fictional arms industry again with the sites that make you blink... :shock: :-D
Slag

Unread post by Slag »

Thanks for the love on Cargo Cargo, all. :)

Had so much fun writing it I'm glad others enjoyed reading it.

I also have to give Kent Burles a major shout out here...that artwork was great, really captured the feel and absurdity of it all while making the Cargo Priests look like bad-asses.

And abtex: part of the time-freeze is to illustrate the post-war isolation, and part was just for the fun of it. No reason they couldn't Call an Abrams MBT, for example. It would be no different than the Called Sherman, but it's possible. Certainly New Navy equip is also possible and probable at this stage, again not really any more powerful.

Oh, and yes: Crew Call can call up Pin-ups and USO girls, you randy bastard! ;)
Fickt nicht mit der Raketemensch!

"I respect you. And unlike love, respect can't be bought" - Homer Simpson.
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

Slag wrote:Thanks for the love on Cargo Cargo, all. :)

I got 50 pair of stockings, so what should I use them for?

taalismn says -- Librarians assume the role of scholar-priest-kings in an increasinly illiterate society...

taalismn says -- Abtex...Unofficial archival mole for the fictional arms industry again with the sites that make you blink... :shock: :-D
Slag

Unread post by Slag »

abtex wrote:
Slag wrote:Thanks for the love on Cargo Cargo, all. :)

I got 50 pair of stockings, so what should I use them for?

That's a good point. Also, silk stockings are a form of currency among the tribes, based on their WWII use as such in black market dealings throughout the US Military. In WWII they were a rare commodity since all silk production went to parachutes. Women actually used to paint on fake stockings! Talk about fetish fuel for someone! :lol:

Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

Here is a link to my more in-depth look at Cargo! Cargo! Linko!
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
mrloucifer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Unread post by mrloucifer »

Lord Z wrote:Here is a link to my more in-depth look at Cargo! Cargo! Linko!

I still need to run out and get a copy... as much as I dig your head is on most subjects Z, I'd imagine I'd dig this mucho.
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
Slag

Unread post by Slag »

Lord Z wrote:Here is a link to my more in-depth look at Cargo! Cargo! Linko!

Thanks, Z...appreciate the good buzz.

abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

Cargo Cult - Maybe a dumb question but
What are heirlooms?
a) Real manufactured items from any time frame not just WWII
b) Cargo from the Spirit Realm
c) a Built Item that has become a real thing through use
d) something else

On a side note "A Walk on the Wild Side" articles are in Rifters 38 and 40, not 31. But 30 have a couple of good articles in it. Found in my search.

Slag

Unread post by Slag »

abtex wrote:Cargo Cult - Maybe a dumb question but
What are heirlooms?
b) Cargo from the Spirit Realm
d) something else

On a side note "A Walk on the Wild Side" articles are in Rifters 38 and 40, not 31. But 30 have a couple of good articles in it. Found in my search.

Generally a (with WWII items particularly prized), though the idea of c is rather cool and I might have to consider that if I ever get to revisit the Cargo Cults.

Drakenred®™©
Champion

Unread post by Drakenred®™© »

Actualuy "cargo cults" have tended to spring up all over, (the were reported in Vietnam Cambodia, as well as parts of South America and Africa when missionarys and others started useing aircraft to fly into and out of comunities) but also tend to be short lived as the "cargo bringers" since WWII either tend to spend more time to explain whats realy going on, or were sutch total dushbags that they were living examples of why "Cargo" is bad (that and most goverments nowdays will also step in to make sure that missionarys and "Do gooders" for example dont try to deliberatly create or exploit or create a "cargo cult" mentality (Ie Convert to my religion and or ideolgy and you will be more likley to continue to get good things like this!)
冠双
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

Slag wrote:
What are heirlooms?
b) Cargo from the Spirit Realm post rescue party; Page 19: "...given all the Cargo they ever wanted, and joined into the largest, flashiet, jazz-diven, Cargo-fueled party in the universe!"
d) something else

Generally a (with WWII items particularly prized), though the idea of c is rather cool and I might have to consider that if I ever get to revisit the Cargo Cults.

Screw up on b above, missing text added in bold
Glad that you like c.
You will revisit Cargo Cults, that is so much more that can done with the concept and so many mis-uses for it.

Have a few ideas for some if you want.
Post here and PM to you?

Slag

Unread post by Slag »

abtex wrote:
Slag wrote:
What are heirlooms?
b) Cargo from the Spirit Realm post rescue party; Page 19: "...given all the Cargo they ever wanted, and joined into the largest, flashiet, jazz-diven, Cargo-fueled party in the universe!"
d) something else

Screw up on b above, missing text added in bold
Glad that you like c.
You will revisit Cargo Cults, that is so much more that can done with the concept and so many mis-uses for it.

Have a few ideas for some if you want.
Post here and PM to you?

If I ever do revisit it I'll have to remember to look you up.

As for b, since all that "given" cargo at the party was from the spirit realm, it'd be spirit by nature, aka equivalent to "called" cargo, back on the material world. So it'd need PPE to keep it around.

abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

If I ever do revisit it I'll have to remember to look you up.

OK, they will be here waiting for you.
Hopeful someone can use any of this for personal or other use.
Add or rewrite anything that you want.

Glossary:
CCM = Cargo Cult Magic

Cargo Cults - Just to Pacific
>===========================<

Would or does having the right gear or weapons on hand before you 'Crew Call' so you get better troops or workers? Weapons for soldiers or tools and dozers or like for construction workers?

How far back does the Ancestors' Cargo knowledge go. Are there other "cities" located that are available to provide Cargo?

Goods from the Nazca and ancient Atlantean Trade Fleets, I can not believe that stellar traders would not do business in the local folk. Getting around in wooden or like ships would be the way to go. Nazca Line Magic producing ships?

Yankee Clipper ships and Whalers. Post war Japanese traders and other banana merchants.

Chinese's 1421 World traveling Fleets [based on a book by Gavin Menzies] following the routes once used by the Nazca and Atlantean merchants and later by known traders. Do the souls and their lives lost to Chaos Earth's mega-tsunamis have Cities in the Spirit Realm, the ones not rescue. Could some have been lead to safety and later returned to the real world?

What Cargo might they have to trade for PPE and real world goods? Things that they need to produce the Cargo or is there another source or three to provide their needs?

Was there an earlier form(s) of CCM based off or around Nazca Line Magic? A form used to help 'old Kaston way' needs being proceed by CCM in times of need or boosted by it. A version that did work in places based around the Master's plantations (mass food or trade produce), Big Sailing Ships [well bigger than what the local can build], Trading Posts, Fresh water canals, Horse carts and wagons, simple tools, Gun Powder firearms and such.

taalismn did a chart once for Haunted vehicles, it would work nicely with CCM to make Happy Haunted vehicles, ships and aircraft - Real Ghosts, not just Called Crew, using there PPE and abilities to Refuel, repair and maybe Call Crew.

------------------------------------------

Japanese Holdouts, soldiers, sailors, and other personnel, using a form of CCM to survival in hiding on islands for years. Under Camo-nets, behind false Rock walls, in hidden Bunker Complexes, in Sea cave harbors they wait for orders to attack. PPE provided by post war Temples, as well as Shrines in their camps and onboard ships and aided by Military drills designed to mock the Cargo Tribe's ceremonies to Built or summon their needed Cargo/Supplies through the will of Japan's Gods and Spirit Realm. They to lived simple lives farming and fishing like the natives. In the post-war years they received aid from ex-Japan Military leaders who dreamed of a true Japan Military again, not just a Defense Force. [Remember this is not the Earth or reality that we know about, but a different one. The one of the American Empire.] The Dreamers built Temples, once priests help them understand the need for spiritual energy to power the CCM rituals and their hopes.

In their Sea Cave Harbors [Ports, Dry Docks and Hangers] are docked and are maintained by the living and the Called Crew, Ships and planes.

Could the bases have been re-opened by people rescued and returned with War time spirits or their knowledge to their secret locations and the ability to awaken the "Sleepers"?

Can CCM spells be used to preserve and repair Real objects and constructions? Sunken ships, crashed planes, cargo salvaged from wrecked transports and cargo ships. Or expend on real projects?

If abandoned who would use the sites between the post-War and the Chaos Earth/Rifts period. Cold War forces - Chinese, Russians, British, Pirates, etc. What would be waiting to be discovered?

---------------------------------------------

Other Places stuff to use:

-) Native Kastom revival society groups
--) touring the world at Cultural shows. Where were they at the time of Rescue? American troops were just about everywhere in WWII. In a Convention Center with some of the main events being a Comic book meet, Gun and Military Reenactment show, and the Cultural show all going on at once.
--) If native items are used to build Cargo, what could the right a sick mind do with a junkyard, hardware store and the right spells? Backwoods folk maybe. How many native spouses of WWII were the GreatGrandies and Dads of the locals? Now their Grand kids have the knowledge of CCM twisted with Shade Tree Mechanics and some different parts to work with.

-) Kids wanting Ice Cream, Candy and Toys in a Chaos Earth setting. Calling, Building or Repairing broken ones. "Call Ice Cream Truck." spell, anyone. Then finding out that the toys based off cartoons and movies are now real working Armor, Vehicles, Weapons and Heroes. But where is the PPE needed coming from?
-) Non Believers becoming Believers using CCM and trying to Call or Building their version of Cargo.

-) Is there a Department/Chain store Spiritual Realm?
--) If so. Then MegaShoppingMalls, Shopping Malls, Strip Malls, Trading Posts could be places that use CCM and force customers to return for new Goods [ie. Cargo after duration, "You did buy ... to clean with or take to the Cleaner's so it would last longer, fuel for it, extra batteries to make it later longer right?"]. Cleaning [recharging], Batteries and Fuel [refueling] or Repairs. Have you even wondered why you fill so tired or drained of energy waiting for something to be repaired? Lost of PPE maybe? But they never still to run out of 'On Sale Items' just have tired real workers and Very Happy other ones.
--) Island Hopping Trading Company or Cargo delivery shipping. Trading posts, smaller cargo carriers, Tramp Steamers [between Boats and Liberty Ship], and such. Might use Cargo Containers see below.

-) ...if there is a power to make them real.
--) Drunk Cargo Priest, reading a horror novel or watching a movie, and that off shore wreckage that just looks like a sea monster equals ....? That is no taling what Bad Dreams might causes...
--) WWII was the time of the first Super Heroes. So he wears Blue Long underwear, a Red sheet with an 'S' on it and hits like an Artillery shell. "I can live with calling him in times of great need." Or the many others after the war in comic books....
--) Haunted Houses - not sure about this but it might be fun place to use fear generated PPE to power Called Crew or charge objects. Or if the right person lived there once, Call something they were famous for weapons, tools, computer files, etc. Have a party once in a while or do repairs it the place to help recharge the old House.

-) Cargo Containers
--) Repairing or Fixing stuff from washed a shore Cargo Containers. Maybe put the Built stuff into a Cargo Container [or use a sealed, unopened one], full out the paperwork, do the right stuff and open it to find what you want.
--) Are pirates doing some form of Cargo Container Magic?
--) Might also work for gift boxes, "I never know what they want!?!?" now they almost always get it.

-) Submarines - War time to modern to New Navy/Triax ones; Mini to Full size to giant Target size ones. Warfare, salvage ops for real stuff, trade with underwater DBee races. Does CCM work underwater? You might need to have base of operations or explorations.
--) Build an UW Trading Post and if the locals don't want to trade with you, it just goes away with time.
--) Find misplaced places and such, they are not lost, they have been here for years and beyond. But they may now have someone living there now. Where they from the time of Magic, Nazca and true Atlantis, Golden Age or somewhere between?
-)
-)

--------------------
Other sources or locations for use of CCM:

-> Mall - Mega Mall - Strip Mall
-> Truck Stop - Train Yard
-> Mailing/Shipping company (UPS, Postal Service)
-> Convention Center, Flea Market
-> Toy Store: Cartoons + Toys = Usable Tools, Armor, Weapons, Vehicles, Heroes
-> Haunted Houses
-> Vending Machines - charged coin or PPE in and the right stuff comes out [Called Cargo]
-> Mail order catalogs, online shopping sites

---------------------------------------------
Other Cargo, SuperCargo and Projects

-) SBee Engineers
-) Library - Ancestors and others visiting to give talks and teaching their knowledge.
-) Big Screen - taking you to other places and realities. Just pictures or really traveling there?
-) Animals - Can they be Called like Crew? Mules, K-9 units, dodos, dinos,
-) Bunker - single shelter or Gun Battery to Complexes
-) Submarines - Mini to Full Size ones,
-) PX or Trading Post [if you are using a Trade network]
-) Bar, Dance Halls, Mess Halls - to raise the spirit of long term Called Crew. Spells to help
-) Frogmen to help salvage Heirloom Salvaging from sunken wrecks
-)
-)

keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

Just got #47 today, love the NORAD adventure and the cargo cults, about the only thing I didn't care for was the Griffin SAMAS's weapon systems, otherwise great article!!!! :D The set up is easy to run esp. for first time players to CE!
I even like the P95, as an sdc weapon I think it's even better than the NEMA 5.56 rifle.
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

I have never gotten an e-mail response from anyone in the PB office. Calling the phone number, however, does seem to work well.

jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

I am going to run the Fall of NORAD adventure on rpol. Got ten players already.

I didn't care for the USAF Spec Forces OCC. The USAF pilot OCC on the other hand is pretty good.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

Return to “The Rifter® Forum”