Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

thedrunk
Explorer
Comment: Friendly Fire™
"Combat With a Smile"
A Ensite Para-Military Corperation

HPC what are the specs?

Unread post by thedrunk »

I was looking at the HPC, now I knwo computers and if a ram is X amoutn ( really high) and storage is = X amount. what about processor speed.
reason I am asking is in a rifter there si hacking rules and settings, and if one understands computers we need this info can we get a up date on this please. I love the little buggers because in all actuallity you could have a NI built in to it, add a cordless headjack and a NAS ( network attached storage) and you would have a fully automated NI watch.

but seriously, I am thinking of designing a hacking campaign in PW and this info on proccesor speed and any ports for upgrading the HPC would be really nice I dont knwo what my limits are but I am gessing like a notebook to a lap top to a desktop to a server is hwo I am going to build computer systems for 3 galixies.
"when in doubt, do it. It's much easier to appolige than to get permission."
- Admiral Grace Murray Hopper

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and im not shure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
Aramanthus
Monk

Re: HPC what are the specs?

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Interesting stuff. Something I've wanted to include in more depth in my game. We usually speed over this part. I'm always looking for more detail in my game! Thank you for all of that data Gadrin!
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
thedrunk
Explorer
"Combat With a Smile"

gadrin wrote:
thedrunk wrote:I was looking at the HPC, now I knwo computers and if a ram is X amoutn ( really high) and storage is = X amount. what about processor speed.
reason I am asking is in a rifter there si hacking rules and settings, and if one understands computers we need this info can we get a up date on this please. I love the little buggers because in all actuallity you could have a NI built in to it, add a cordless headjack and a NAS ( network attached storage) and you would have a fully automated NI watch.

but seriously, I am thinking of designing a hacking campaign in PW and this info on proccesor speed and any ports for upgrading the HPC would be really nice I dont knwo what my limits are but I am gessing like a notebook to a lap top to a desktop to a server is hwo I am going to build computer systems for 3 galixies.

For looks I always envisioned this http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m309 ... ndcomp.jpg
but make it wristwatch sized.

As for performance, I figure it's like having a top of the line server or mini-computer on your wrist.

Typical performance was 100-200 simultaneous connections (as in terminals) so you could comm with you co-workers,
other space crew or whatever. Most people use 20 to 50 (car, printer, house-computer, etc)

Speed wasn't an issue, routine requests like searching a galactic database take 1 action to 1 melee round, or a little
longer for something that cross references lots of other data. Minutes at most.

Comm was done by wirless (to link terminals or nodes above) and encryption was measured usually in passwords or
PINs of a minimum of 256 characters, sometimes higher. I didn't really want to make things unbreakable, since that would
kill a hacking campaign.

Each HPC had a small web cam + mic built into the surface and you could stream in video + audio and have several
"windows" up to view.

Interfaces were mostly verbal, but you could use the holo-keyboard above when you wanted quiet or use a headjack
or diode headband to work it by thought.

Range was typically 1/8th to 1/4th of a mile for very quick, very secure networking, otherwise radio did the rest.
Belt mounted accessories handled things like longer range and other do-hickies.

I also did this a while back...

Code: Select all

Microchip Technology Skill Program -- Near Future and Far Future 

Computers and their surrounding technologies keep getting smaller
and smaller and much more advanced and the main result is the
widespread production and distribution of highly advanced
microchips. A vast number of things can now be built using very
small, very cheap, microchips. Not only can powerful sensors and
electronics be concentrated, it's also possible to give just about
any device a certain amount of "intelligence" That is, equally
sophisticated software to run a complex device accurately.

One important point: Microchip gizmoteers can make the devices,
AND program them, since it makes no sense to be able to make
something but not be able to test it.

Microchip devices can be made as separate items, or microchips
can be built into other items. Here's a list of possible microchips
to use.

So to say we have a norad on our wrists? a computer that can handle say 5k thrads of information as a normal routine?
so would a HPC have two types of wireless comm, 1 to WAN interfaces and the other to LAN interfaces plus a bluetooth type of decive to transfer information to addons like vr goggles Nas on hip or a server.
MM wonder fi Microsoft has survived the comming of the Rift's ....

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and im not shure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
thedrunk
Explorer
"Combat With a Smile"

Ok i have found it

Unofficaly I am going to implament Quantum Computers to define the HPC and other computer stuff's.
Since the HPC is the PDA of todays computer's I am using the Quantum Computer theroy and development in order to explain hwo a laptop would work in PW or a desk top would work in PW. taking in to effect Moore's Law and the advance ment of PW vs todays technology I am under the impression that Quantum Computers woudl be logical choice....

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/quantum-computer.htm after reading about ti I decided that it would fit more so then taking todays computers and multipling them 10x to 20x in order to get the statical data.
the thing that stood out would have been the 30-qubit quantom computer would = 10 teraflops that is a little under the HPC but it makes more sence to relate the technical side of computing in PW.........

Man I love PW

Aramanthus
Monk

There should be a huge advantage over anything found on earth at this time. Now maybe the Pre-Rift's earth might have been close to the speed of the standard computers found in the Phase World setting. But I agree with the minumum specs you mention. Maybe those are like the out dated models you can find in used computer shops presently.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
Captain Shiva
Adventurer
Comment: In sheer daemonic strangeness I am unparalleled

Unread post by Captain Shiva »

ChaoticWeevil wrote:I am not sure where it was written, but I think the standard answer to any type of "How powerful is..." question for anything computer related in Rifts was to take whatever our current level of tech is and multiply it by ten.

I would say for PW you can make it x20 if you want. It probably doesn't fit to well with the values that are stated but you can always say that those are the low end models.

Personally I follow the philosophy used by some other systems out there and use made up words to describe the computing power so that no matter how much time changes it isn't laughable. (This system has a processor cycle speed of 5 and a megapulse transfer speed of 4.)

The Three Galaxies sourcebook has some examples of personal computers that to me at least, actually represent what future computers might be capable of.Some of the items are similar to Star Trek tricorders, and memory chips are available from one to fifty terabyte memory storage capacity. If these chips are the same size as the micro SD cards found in modern cell phones, that's a lot of memory. Rifts earth memory chips should probably top out at 20 terabytes, and be slightly larger, in my opinion.
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
Aramanthus
Monk

That is an interesting way to look at it. I never thought about it. But of course I'm not a huge ST fan.

HH....FIE
thedrunk
Explorer
"Combat With a Smile"

Well I have been doing my7 reading and in order for robots PA or exoskeletons they would use a Quantom type of computer chip that would give you the 50 tera storage in the micro sd size. and considering how advanced the tech is behind computers and systems it would be at the golden age that they discovered liek the P1 to P3 version of quantom computers liek intel, after the comming of the rifts they are slowley going to P4 while the three galizies have a quad core non silcone type of tech. just to give people the difference in levels of tech.....

But thank you all for helping me come up with my own house rules for it........

Captain Shiva
Adventurer

According to the description, they have 10 terabytes of internal memory, and five ports for extra memory chips. The illustration shows them as not much bigger than a Blackberry. There was one minor error, though: according to this book, one hour of video with sound takes up one terabyte of memory.Now correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a terabyte a thousand gigabytes?
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
Aramanthus
Monk

Maybe those are the low end computers of Phase World. I think we need to think bigger.

HH....FIE
thedrunk
Explorer
"Combat With a Smile"

Captain Shiva wrote:According to the description, they have 10 terabytes of internal memory, and five ports for extra memory chips. The illustration shows them as not much bigger than a Blackberry. There was one minor error, though: according to this book, one hour of video with sound takes up one terabyte of memory.Now correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a terabyte a thousand gigabytes?

yes 1 tera = 1000 giga

but think fo the different formats of today for audio and video, mp3 vs WMA and WMA lossles they very in size
the different video files type mp4 avi etc different in size
so the advancement in entertainment would be a standard of video you could scale in to a zoom of probley 6500x and not loose any detail. but liek all electronics software you can change the file format to either shrink or grow file size

thedrunk
Explorer
"Combat With a Smile"

Aramanthus wrote:Maybe those are the low end computers of Phase World. I think we need to think bigger.

Bit versus qubit

A bit is the basic unit of computer information. Regardless of its physical realization, a bit is always understood to be either a 0 or a 1. An analogy to this is a light switch—the down position can represent 0 (normally equated to off) and the up position can represent 1 (normally equated to on).

A qubit has some similarities to a classical bit, but is overall very different. Like a bit, a qubit can have two possible values—normally a 0 or a 1. The difference is that whereas a bit must be either 0 or 1, a qubit can be 0, 1, or a superposition of both.

so factoring in a chip that would be 10/10000 the thickness of a human hair would = 1 qubit.
or 8 bytes which = 1 bite. I am thinking smaller not bigger for the more you can fit in a space is more you can use given a smaller space. add in the technology of Intel's non-cilicon nano chips you could essentially make a black berry size computer that would have the specs of the H.P.C.
I am thinking of writing up a detailed discription of technology and the "how it Works" and foward it to one of oru lovley writers for palladium to do as what they will. or just post it here but I will need help from people who are really intriged by hwo PW tech works.......

Yea I am a techno-phile in real life so this is stuff I follow up on and am now getting the light bulb above mny head going PALLADIUM WOOT !

thedrunk
Explorer
"Combat With a Smile"

Ok I am seriously wanting to make this and put detail on it.. any one else want to go over ideas for it and post it for un offical PW material. I am going to find out the posibbility's of this technology using quantom computer's and other possiple things also I am going to convert Microsofts "Coffee Table" ( the one that bonds HQ uses in quantom fo solace with touch screen form one consoule to the other) to quantom computer specs... I think it would be the type of main computer found in vehicles in PW and a eirler version of it on Rift's earth...... but if any one down I think it would be a easy way to explain PW and Rift's tech to people who are not tech literate.

Captain Shiva
Adventurer

Aramanthus wrote:Maybe those are the low end computers of Phase World. I think we need to think bigger.

True enough, but what would a Phase World laptop be able to do? It should have at least at 10 times the performance of one of those scanners, I would think. I threw those out because they are about the only computers described in detail in a futuristic Palladium setting.
Aramanthus
Monk

I think we need to think even smaller than what our own most advanced tech are. Then we need to extrapolate the potential capabilities of these phase world computers. I think we should set the bar for the least able computers of Phase World at 100 Terrabytes and 100 terraflops (Sorry if I spell it wrong.) I know about bits but I've never heard about that qubits. But I think you are right I think we need to take it that way to differentiate it from our own world, but still something we know about. How widespread is the qubit for useage in our own world? Which field uses it?

HH....FIE
thedrunk
Explorer
"Combat With a Smile"

Aramanthus wrote:I think we need to think even smaller than what our own most advanced tech are. Then we need to extrapolate the potential capabilities of these phase world computers. I think we should set the bar for the least able computers of Phase World at 100 Terrabytes and 100 terraflops (Sorry if I spell it wrong.) I know about bits but I've never heard about that qubits. But I think you are right I think we need to take it that way to differentiate it from our own world, but still something we know about. How widespread is the qubit for useage in our own world? Which field uses it?

A quantom computer, intell 2007 no actuall working chip exsisted, in 07 a qubit ( photon particile rather then a conductor or transistor) was able to communicate to another Qubit on a nano chip able to derive prime number to 300 with some errors of course. the qubit is a quantom computers version of a bit. which is another 20 years off from any pratical usage.

the quantom computer will potentionaly x50 capabilities fo a standard desk top of today. so that 100 teraflop that exists today would actually be 5000 teraflop the quad 4.2Ghz would actually be a 120Ghz 200 core processor and that 24Gig of ram would be 1200Gigs of ram. all in a PDA style computer...............

the numbers and stuff might not be correct to the T but rough estimate of potentional in the next 30 to 50 years.

soo yea I am gonna track down what MIT has on quantom computer and start reaserching more ( I ma in love with them lol)

Aramanthus
Monk

Very cool! Thank you for the information! It is appreciated.

HH....FIE
thedrunk
Explorer
"Combat With a Smile"

Aramanthus wrote:Very cool! Thank you for the information! It is appreciated.

Not a problem. and to think I found out abotu quantom computers the day i wrote the post lol......

been thinking of doing a tech of PW for the rifter 0.1 but Idk doesnt seem to be a lot of interest in the tech just what can do how much damage and what can take so much damage.

thedrunk
Explorer
"Combat With a Smile"

Aramanthus
Monk

Still it's a start. They can only get faster and more powerful. I think there is some interest in this. I'm sure there are several following this thread.

HH....FIE
thedrunk
Explorer
"Combat With a Smile"

Aramanthus wrote:Still it's a start. They can only get faster and more powerful. I think there is some interest in this. I'm sure there are several following this thread.

If there are I am thinking of writing a article for the rifter 0.5 abotu technology computer creation rules, and prices with specs of most common axcessories.. Just dont really knwo if there is any interest in that type of material for players..........

P.S. am almost finished with assinging points to friendly fire....

Aramanthus
Monk

Sounds great! I'm looking forward to seeing those stated out. Are you going to right the article for the Rifter for Rift's earth or Phase world? Or are you going to right it to fit any setting?

HH....FIE
thedrunk
Explorer
"Combat With a Smile"

Aramanthus wrote:Sounds great! I'm looking forward to seeing those stated out. Are you going to right the article for the Rifter for Rift's earth or Phase world? Or are you going to right it to fit any setting?

Mostly Rift's, Phase world, and chaos Earth settings but adaptable to any high tech setting.
I am working on it sloley like my other three projects soo hopefully I will have it done soon

Aramanthus
Monk

Sounds great. So you are going to make it compatible with all of Rift's and it's sub-settings. Cool!

HH....FIE
thedrunk
Explorer
"Combat With a Smile"

Yea if any one wants some thing defined say it here and I will do my best...
But the focus will be explaining Quantom computers and how they work.

Aramanthus
Monk

I'm sure the article will worth the wait!

HH....FIE
thedrunk
Explorer
"Combat With a Smile"

Aramanthus wrote:I'm sure the article will worth the wait!

Ok i dont knwo when the dead line to submit stuff is so I might not have it subbmitted. I am still working on it it's getting actual conversions of size. I am looking for the equlivent size per Qubit vs. Bit. how many Qubit's would a processor of our day hold? I need that and am looking at how it is contained, it uses charged photons to run which means it needs to be contained. what if containment breaks? and cost of will be hard to detimine............

I am going to re-read the thread of rifter.01 in order to figure it out....................

But I am really getting lso tin it I had to put reaserch down in order to get my school work done today lolz

Aramanthus
Monk

You'd have to talk to Wayne about when to see if your article would appear in Rifter.

HH....FIE
thedrunk
Explorer
"Combat With a Smile"

Aramanthus wrote:You'd have to talk to Wayne about when to see if your article would appear in Rifter.

Not rifter the PDF fan one I was wantign to write up but I am actually going to have to delay it for a while for school has a nice little suprise for me..... and it is taking up most of my free time. I will work on it E-mail me if you guys need me

Aramanthus
Monk

I still have to get the first one. Sometime soon I'll do that.

HH....FIE

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”