Native American Fetish (not what you think)

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: Native American Fetish (not what you think)

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

don't fetish items only work for those of native american descent?
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

glitterboy2098 wrote:don't fetish items only work for those of native american descent?

Wow.... switching to Rifts from Sound Off, the gears take a few minutes to realign.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

Yeah, the Native American Fetish rules are even more badly written than the tattoo rules.

Can my Battle Magus use fetish items? She believes in magic and the spirit realm, and has PPE.

Can a Tattooed Man?

What kinds of spririts belong in what Realm? The Kiowa don't believe in the same spirits as the Sioux. In general, I loosely lump this and play as we go. There aren't a lot of NA characters in my game.
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

pintocat wrote:I think, if a psi-druid had Lore: indians, and was close to a tribe or shaman, they could use them. Or maybe I'm reading it wrong... I read that as, you have to be EITHER native american OR understand/believe the traditions and spirits.

It says "AND" though, not "OR."

"Only characters of Native American heritage and those who understand and believe in Indian traditions and spirits can use a fetish."

So you have to understand AND believe.

~ Josh
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
pintocat wrote:I think, if a psi-druid had Lore: indians, and was close to a tribe or shaman, they could use them. Or maybe I'm reading it wrong... I read that as, you have to be EITHER native american OR understand/believe the traditions and spirits.

It says "AND" though, not "OR."

"Only characters of Native American heritage and those who understand and believe in Indian traditions and spirits can use a fetish."

So you have to understand AND believe.

~ Josh

so basically you have to be an indian, or an adopted member of their culture.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

a psi-druid of native american anscestry and culture is perfectly possible. and unlike being a headhunter or other tech oriented class, you could even be acceptable to the ultra-traditionalists.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Slag

Unread post by Slag »

My understanding was that you also needed to follow a Traditional lifestyle, e.g. no high tech, no MDC armor, no video players, living in a wigwam, etc. I'm away from my book so I can't cite page/paragraph, but IIRC there was a distinct rule or at least (for me) distinct indication that even a Full Blood Renegade couldn't use a fetish since they have basically rejected the Traditional lfestyle.

Unless, of course, there was some special way to bypass this... 8-) ("he says knowingly")
Fickt nicht mit der Raketemensch!

"I respect you. And unlike love, respect can't be bought" - Homer Simpson.
mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Palladium fan from overseas

Unread post by mobuttu »

Only characters of Native American heritage and those who understand and believe in Indian traditions and spirits can use a fetish.

For me it is pretty clear. Only those with NA heritage who understand and believe in Indian tradition can use fetishes. So only Traditional OCC (pg 33 Spirit West) can use them.
- Un blog de Rifts. My blog about our game.
- Maqui Ed. My RPG company.

I received a *Nekira Seal of Approval*...Once! :P
"always remember; the Splugorth can do anything" - everloss
Sorry for my bad English! :o
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.

Unread post by Prince Artemis »

I asked Kevin specifically about this on the show and he had the same feeling I did. The powers are not dependant on a persons race but a person's culture. While it says native american heritage, if you follow the ways of the indian faithfully and loyally (as in, your not faking it to get the powesr) then you would get the powers.
Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

mobuttu wrote:
Only characters of Native American heritage and those who understand and believe in Indian traditions and spirits can use a fetish.

For me it is pretty clear. Only those with NA heritage who understand and believe in Indian tradition can use fetishes. So only Traditional OCC (pg 33 Spirit West) can use them.

Actually, the word "those" in the second clause means that you're dealing with a second subject; 'who understand and believe in Indian traditions' in an adjectival phrase describing the pronoun 'those', which immediately precedes it, not the previous subject, 'characters of Native American heritage'. 'And', in this case, links two parts of a compound subject ("characters of Native American heritage" and "those who understand and believe in Indian traditions")[sup]1[/sup] to a common predicate ("can use a fetish")

If you want to say that characters who use fetishes must share both traits, then you'd need to write "Only characters of Native American heritage who understand and believe in Indian traditions'; in that case, 'who understand and believe in Indian traditions' is an adjectival phrase describing 'characters of Native American heritage'.

Good grammar is hot.

[sup]1[/sup]Technically, the compound subject has three parts; characters of native american heritage, those who understand and believe in Indian traditions, and spirits, but the third isn't in contention.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!

Return to “Rifts®”