Help wanted, unless you are playing in my campaign

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Re: Help wanted, unless you are playing in my campaign

Unread post by acreRake »

There are Ten Sephirot in the Kabbalistic Tree of Life...
Wikipedia wrote:...the ten attributes that God created through which he can manifest not only in the physical but the metaphysical universe.

More...

I like religious tie-ins. :shrug:
Senator Cybus
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Save me, Barry!

Unread post by Senator Cybus »

How about the ten avatars of Vishnu?

In Hindu mythology, Lord Vishnu came to earth ten times, each time in a different incarnation, or avatar. As Vishnu is the Supreme Power (well, in some branches of Hinduism), there'd be a pretty obvious benefit to collecting all the rings. :D
znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

stretching, obviously, but you could try cutting down the seven deadly sins and the seven saintly virtues to five each

edit: i suppose i could put up a list...
sin followed by virtue.
Lust, Chastity
Gluttony, Temperance
Greed, Charity
Sloth, Diligence
Wrath, Patience
Envy, Kindness
Pride, Humility
look up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane, it's Airman, *****, and i'm bringin' the pain!
i got a fan installed in my grill, no lie, i'm gonna blow your *** straight off the map, goodbye!
Steeler49er
Hero
Comment: AKA-"Steeler49er"

Steeler49er is to the BOARDS, what C.J. Carella and Jhonen Vasquez are to RPG's & Underground Comics. You know! BIG FAT NUCLEAR DA-BOMBS!"

Unread post by Steeler49er »

acreRake wrote:There are Ten Sephirot in the Kabbalistic Tree of Life...
Wikipedia wrote:...the ten attributes that God created through which he can manifest not only in the physical but the metaphysical universe.

More...

I like religious tie-ins. :shrug:
How Very Neo-Evangelianesque'... and since That show was so Kree Peh', so to would a buncha God rings based on it... Kewl Acre!
Image...."SMILE YOU S.O.B"....Image

Problem is I used Placebos "Running Up that Hill" to get Catherine Wheels "Black Metallic" to get Monorals "KIRI" to get Dan Balans "Crazy Loop" out of my head in the first place.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

The newer White Wolf mage game breaks magical effects into 10 areas:
Death, Fate, Forces, Life, Matter, Mind, Prime, Space, Spirit, Time

You also have the 10 commandments from the bible, each ring can have powers that relate to each commandment

In fact, the number 10 has various religious ties you may find useful:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10_(number)#In_religion

Another idea could be to utilize some sub-classes of the traditional elements, and/or use other traditional concepts:
Earth, Fire, Wind, Water, Wood, Metal, Light, Darkness, Ice, Lightning
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Captain Shiva
Adventurer
Comment: In sheer daemonic strangeness I am unparalleled

Unread post by Captain Shiva »

I like the gods idea, myself. Just don't limit yourself to one pantheon. All you need to do is say that a bunch of gods, from around the world got together and empowered ten rings. Hermes for speed, Hercules for strength, Balder for invulnerability, etc.[edit] Or here is another idea: what if the rings not only granted powers, but entire power categories? For instance, a god from Chinese mythology could grant ancient master status, while a god of war might empower his ring to create a super-soldier.
Last edited by Captain Shiva on Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

People have 10 Fingers.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
Captain Shiva
Adventurer

dark brandon wrote:People have 10 Fingers.
And ?
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Mr_Finesse wrote:Going back to your original idea about planets...you can always count the Sun and then you would have 10 rings.

In that sense you can associate each planet/ring with powers associated with the god their named after.

You could also have these 10 rings not blatently patterned after any one theme at all. Just pull appropriate descriptive words from ancient languages and go from there.

Senator Cybus
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Save me, Barry!

Unread post by Senator Cybus »

Captain Shiva wrote:
And ?
10 toes! :D
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

Captain Shiva wrote:
And ?

Behold, the severed fingers of Zeus. When the Christian god de-throned Zeus, the lord took each finger and crafted them into rings.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
Novastar
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "A monarch's neck should always have a noose around it. It keeps him upright." ~ Heinlein

Unread post by Novastar »

dark brandon wrote:
Captain Shiva wrote:
And ?

Behold, the severed fingers of Zeus. When the Christian god de-throned Zeus, the lord took each finger and crafted them into rings.

Eww.

You might want to look up the Iron Man villian http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandarin_(comics), since he has a similar schtick.
Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
I would hit that so hard that whoever could pull me out would be the true-born king of England. ~ Mark Hall
Novastar only speaks the truth. ~ Brandon Aten, aka The Galactus Kid
acreRake
Hero

1. Mercury
2. Venus
3. Earth
4. Mars
5. Jupiter
6. Saturn
7. Uranus
8. Neptune
9. Pluto
10. Planet X (!)

@Steeler49er you misspelled "too". :fool:
Lord_Dalgard
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: CoH/CoV Global @Frontovik

Unread post by Lord_Dalgard »

Chello!

If you go with the Kabbalah idea, there is the automatic relation for the villains. The "Qliphoth could be seen as 'the dark side' of the Sephirot."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qliphoth
Anthony N. Emmel
Proud Member of CLD 2.0
GM of the Guardians of the Polar Bear

"Those blast points are too precise for Pecos raiders. Only
Coalition Deadboys are that accurate."
--Unknown Cyber Knight in CS Lone Star.

+425 Movie Geek Points!
acreRake
Hero

Lord_Dalgard wrote:Chello!

If you go with the Kabbalah idea, there is the automatic relation for the villains. The "Qliphoth could be seen as 'the dark side' of the Sephirot."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qliphoth
So, like, if used for good they have one set of powers, if used for evil another? That's pretty cool. Then both initial ideas could be true: the wearer of the ten rings either gains either the power to create a world (or universe if you like) or to end it...depending on who has them...
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Ten Commandments (or anti 10) :badbad:

Thou shalt not kill = energy expulsion (or either force field, healing factor or something)
Thou shalt not covert = mimic or something

Cant remember rest :oops:
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Smlawrence8
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Smlawrence8 »

Just an idea but why nake each ring have ...say one minor power when you wear more than one it begin to grant major powers. When you hold all of the ring you get mega mega hero status. Since they will be the only supers in the world they would be viewed as a god. Have each of the rings be based on the idea above about celestial bodies. Using the celestial bodies "idea" in combination with elemental powers then you should be able to come up with a pretty solid basis..
cyber-yukongil v2.5 wrote:man-day-dreaming of how you would take out terrorists if they jumped through the windows in the dentist's office (answer; with badass kung fu and that pencil the lady next to you is doing her suidoku puzzle with) and wondering what it would feel like to kill someone, are two completely different things.
mellowmaveric
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by mellowmaveric »

What is it with everyone and rings lately? Anywho this reeks of the Mandirin from Iron Man. Personaly my favorite finger is my nose picking finger.
Smlawrence8
Dungeon Crawler

mellowmaveric wrote:What is it with everyone and rings lately? Anywho this reeks of the Mandirin from Iron Man. Personaly my favorite finger is my nose picking finger.

hey hey now rings can be ok too...and on Iron Man any character that is named after an orange is just kinda dumb.....
cyber-yukongil v2.5 wrote:man-day-dreaming of how you would take out terrorists if they jumped through the windows in the dentist's office (answer; with badass kung fu and that pencil the lady next to you is doing her suidoku puzzle with) and wondering what it would feel like to kill someone, are two completely different things.
Smlawrence8
Dungeon Crawler

Mephisto wrote:
Smlawrence8 wrote:
mellowmaveric wrote:What is it with everyone and rings lately? Anywho this reeks of the Mandirin from Iron Man. Personaly my favorite finger is my nose picking finger.

hey hey now rings can be ok too...and on Iron Man any character that is named after an orange is just kinda dumb.....

I hope that was sarcasm on your part.

on which part??? the rings or on mandarin......
Smlawrence8
Dungeon Crawler

the only thing I have seen on the Iron Man comic side is the OLD cartoon.... and I have only watched once or twice but man the Mandarin irritated me sooooo bad...
mellowmaveric
Megaversal® Ambassador

lets see green lantern versus 10 rings and fing fang foom who the mandirin could summon with the power of the rings
Smlawrence8
Dungeon Crawler

Mephisto wrote:
Mandarin irritated you more than MODOK? I have to admit that the idea of the Mandarin finding alien rings that transformed him into a green being with the Fu Manchu mustache was kind of bad, but the portrayal of the Mandarin in of all places, X-Men "Acts of Vengeance" made the character extremely cool. But yeah, Mandarin would still get creamed by any Green Lantern in a "Ring vs. Ring" battle.

I dont know who MODOK .....Like I said I havent been very up on the Iron Man stuff
Smlawrence8
Dungeon Crawler

Mephisto wrote:
mellowmaveric wrote:lets see green lantern versus 10 rings and fing fang foom who the mandirin could summon with the power of the rings

Fin Fang Foom was never a "minion" of the Mandarin...he could be summoned but he was not a pawn. Fin Fang Foom could defeat a lot of Green Lanterns, even ones like Hal Jordan and Kilowog. But he would not fight them on the Mandarin's bidding, that is all I am going to say on that count. And I still say that without Fin Fang Foom, the Mandarin would never beat Kyle Rainer, Alan Scott or even Guy Gardner.

WOW......I really really missed a lot about Iron Man...like I said I have only seen a few (maybe2) episodes....

anyway this is starting to feel like a thread jack........................
mellowmaveric
Megaversal® Ambassador

you need to read the comics not watch the craptastic cartoon
Smlawrence8
Dungeon Crawler

mellowmaveric wrote:you need to read the comics not watch the craptastic cartoon

I work to much to read comics ....and I like novels better...
mellowmaveric
Megaversal® Ambassador

graphic novels?
Smlawrence8
Dungeon Crawler

mellowmaveric wrote:graphic novels?

No REAL novels like Robert Jordan, Terry Goodkind ... I mostly read Fantasy style more than I read sci-fi style....
Captain Shiva
Adventurer

Smlawrence8 wrote:

No REAL novels like Robert Jordan, Terry Goodkind ... I mostly read Fantasy style more than I read sci-fi style....

EDIT: So instead, you SPAM a thread? - NMI
Smlawrence8
Dungeon Crawler

Captain Shiva wrote:
Smlawrence8 wrote:

EDIT: So instead, you SPAM a thread? - NMI

What I am lost... are you saying I spammed the thread? I didnt think it was spam...I am lost
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

No, the person whose post I edited was spamming.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Smlawrence8
Dungeon Crawler

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:No, the person whose post I edited was spamming.

ohh OK I feel better now...thank for calrification......
acreRake
Hero

But seriously, you should use the ten planks of the Communist Manifesto.
Spoiler:
not actually serious

Or how about Aristotle's
"The Categories places every object of human apprehension under one of ten categories (known to medieval writers as the praedicamenta). They are intended to enumerate everything which can be expressed without composition or structure, thus anything which can be either the subject or the predicate of a proposition."
The ten categories, or classes, are
  1. SUBSTANCE, what an object is, e.g., a human or a horse
  2. QUANTITY, its measure, e.g., one, two, many, or few
  3. QUALITY, the disposition of the subject, e.g., white, smooth
  4. RELATION, as a comparison to another,e.g., double, half, larger
  5. HABIT, what the subject has (habet), e.g., has shoes
  6. POINT OF TIME, when the subject is, e.g., yesterday, in the year before
  7. PLACE, where the subject is, e.g., in the market, in school
  8. ORIENTATION, its position in space, e.g., lying, sitting
  9. ACTION, what the subject is doing, e.g., cutting, burning, crying
  10. PASSION, what is is being done to the subject, e.g., is being cut, or is being burned
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

acreRake wrote:Or how about Aristotle's
"The Categories places every object of human apprehension under one of ten categories (known to medieval writers as the praedicamenta). They are intended to enumerate everything which can be expressed without composition or structure, thus anything which can be either the subject or the predicate of a proposition."
The ten categories, or classes, are
  1. SUBSTANCE, what an object is, e.g., a human or a horse
  2. QUANTITY, its measure, e.g., one, two, many, or few
  3. QUALITY, the disposition of the subject, e.g., white, smooth
  4. RELATION, as a comparison to another,e.g., double, half, larger
  5. HABIT, what the subject has (habet), e.g., has shoes
  6. POINT OF TIME, when the subject is, e.g., yesterday, in the year before
  7. PLACE, where the subject is, e.g., in the market, in school
  8. ORIENTATION, its position in space, e.g., lying, sitting
  9. ACTION, what the subject is doing, e.g., cutting, burning, crying
  10. PASSION, what is is being done to the subject, e.g., is being cut, or is being burned

If we were voting, this one would have my vote.

acreRake
Hero

Until he picks one, i'll keep throwing out ideas:

There are ten levels of arya-bodhisattva:

1. The joyous (pramudita)
2. The stainless (vimala)
3. The light-maker (prabhakari)
4. The radiant (arcishmati)
5. The very hard to conquer (sudurjaya)
6. The turning-toward (abhimukhi)
7. The far-going (durangama)
8. The unshakable (acala)
9. The good mind (sadhumati)
10. The cloud of dharma (dharmamegha)
Steeler49er
Hero
Comment: AKA-"Steeler49er"

Steeler49er is to the BOARDS, what C.J. Carella and Jhonen Vasquez are to RPG's & Underground Comics. You know! BIG FAT NUCLEAR DA-BOMBS!"

Unread post by Steeler49er »

acreRake wrote:@Steeler49er you misspelled "too". :fool:
Too·ché
:lol:
Image...."SMILE YOU S.O.B"....Image

Problem is I used Placebos "Running Up that Hill" to get Catherine Wheels "Black Metallic" to get Monorals "KIRI" to get Dan Balans "Crazy Loop" out of my head in the first place.
acreRake
Hero

I've been thinking that one of the criteria was that the players should be able, just by seeing the thing in action, to guess the other ones. So:
http://img218.imageshack.us/my.php?image=spectrumbd8.jpg

White
Black
Red
Orange
Yellow
Green
Blue (cyan)
Violet (could be invisible...)
Purple (even if you don't want to make violet invisible, you can see in my example that violet, purple and blue can be quite different)
and Brown

eh? EH?
acreRake
Hero

Another religious alternative is to use a pantheon i created to use in my HU world.

1 Top
2 Bottom
3 Up
4 Down
5 Strange
6 Charm
7 Tau
8 Muon
9 Electron
10 Positron
acreRake
Hero

1...buckle my shoe;
2...shut the door;
3...pick up sticks;
4...lay them straight;
5...a big, fat hen;
6...dig and delve;
7...maids a courting;
8...Maids in the kitchen;
9...maids awaiting;
10...my plate's empty.

But, seriously, did you pick yet? (You don't have to say which one, if your players read the forums, you know...

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”