Who wants to see Gramercy Island back in Print?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Yes
88%
No
12%

Total votes: 43

gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I can't fine Gramercy Island,so I am Hoping if people say they want it back in Print,Palladium books amy do it.
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Re: Who wants to see Gramercy Island back in Print?

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

If it means they pack more Bad guys and heroes in it I'm all for it.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Al Blotto
Wanderer

Unread post by Al Blotto »

There's 2 copies on Ebay and 6 on Amazon. What I really want to see back in print is Aliens Unlimited Revised. I had a copy of the regular Aliens Unlimited and before I got to read it, I lost it. Don't really want to buy another one. I'd rather wait for the revised to get repressed. Not that it's gonna happen anytime soon.
khyron1144
Explorer
Comment: Everyone's a super hero; Everyone's a Captain Kirk

Unread post by khyron1144 »

I am abstaining from this vote.

I did not vote yes. I haven't had much interest in the official setting or an NPC book, so I never knew it went out of print.

I did not vote no though, because I think other people might like it to be reprinted.
This is indeed a disturbing universe.

First there is a mountain. Then there is no mountain. Then there is.

As ninety-nine red balloons go by.
gaaahhhh
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by gaaahhhh »

I have it already, but I would like for you to be able to get a copy. It is a good sourcebook for NPCs and a place for unheroic "Heroes" to end up if they aren't careful.
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

It's a nicely written book. Such a shame about the content.

Voting No.

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
“Iczer, you are a power generating machine.” - Mr Twist
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

How can you say that it,s a good book for more Npc,s villains.

What do you think is Wrong with It?
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

gaby wrote:How can you say that it,s a good book for more Npc,s villains.

What do you think is Wrong with It?

Essentially, it was full of power creep. The setting itself is abomidably overflowing with unrealistic statistics, and a plethora of megaheroes.

The NPC's are not particularilly inventive either, just extra powered. I can whip up a dozen or so supervillains in my head, and so should any GM, so the NPC's are not so grand.

The setting information is lovely though and, as with most of Mr Coffins work, was a pleasure to read and seemed well thought out. But apart from a pelasant read it was any great shakes. Power creep is the greater part of what caused me to abandon Rifts. Same with Palladium fantasy ( I will also note, a lot of the latter books were also from Mr Coffin and read well).

So I hope that explains my position. One book full of powercreep is an acceptable loss. I Think of it as Collateral Damage. Two books is a dissapointment. If not for the excellent writing within, I would have tossed them aside years ago. As a Villain resource...well...like I said, any GM can pull a credible, detailed villain for play with a few penstrokes.

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
mellowmaveric
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by mellowmaveric »

They should make a Gramercy Island 2: The New Phish. Outlining new inmates, how things are going on with the warden and a more detailed outline of some of the experiments they have prisoners voluntering for.
krate
Explorer

Unread post by krate »

i didn't know it was out of print. the pb online store still has it as "in stock".

i think if you play hu this is a great book. i am not big on an official setting for hu. i like to create my own worlds and villains and organizations (inspired by the comic books). but bill coffin did an excellent job with gramercy island/century station. it is a great setting, great npc's and villains that feel like actual comic book bad guys. the book is a great read and has villains of various power levels for various power level campaigns (i don't play with any mega-hero stuff, but if you do then there is stuff there to challenge mega-heroes).

so, i think gi should be available for those who don't have it.
Please visit my DeviantArt page http://krateworx.deviantart.com/
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Iczer wrote:any GM can pull a credible, detailed villain for play with a few penstrokes.

Batts

While I do agree with the sentiment...
not every GM has the time to create an army of villains (cant keep throwing the same two or three at them over and over) to throw against his heroes. So NPC books are a needed aid and power creep or not there are some nice ones in GI.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

As to the question "who wants to see gramercy island back in print?", I dont see that it is out of print.

I like the book. character ideas, plot hooks, tech items, etc...
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Ranger
Adventurer
Comment: Tucker Did It!

Unread post by Ranger »

maybe if it did not have an over abudance of mega villians in it.
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

Damian Magecraft wrote:
Iczer wrote:any GM can pull a credible, detailed villain for play with a few penstrokes.

Batts

While I do agree with the sentiment...
not every GM has the time to create an army of villains (cant keep throwing the same two or three at them over and over) to throw against his heroes. So NPC books are a needed aid and power creep or not there are some nice ones in GI.

Serious?

7 random items on my desk: Magic Cards, Stapler, trophy, Plastic fish, Mobile phone, Keys and a pencil.
Magic Cards: Suggest a card thrower, a la gambit, but that's a bit trite. I setle instead for a Pokemon player who uses create force constructs to create facsimiles of cards. Throw in personal force field, and physical perfection. profesion: grafic artist. Call him Decker. give him punky/trendy clothes and anime haircut.
Stapler: Trickier. A brick style villain who hurls staples? Matter expulsion: plastic and shrapnel, and throw in a little Extraordinary PE. Profession: construction worker. I actualyl like Stapler as a name. White singlet, bandanna and jeans (goes barefoot)
Trophy: Hard again. I don't want to repeat the plastic themed brick again so... It's for the obstacle course so I call Obstacle, and make him a physical training guy. I like to be different, so make him focused on speed and agility, with the strength based combat form. Light body armour in dark grey with a starship trooper style helmet. Uses a length of chain as a primary weapon (with a set of nunchucks as backup)
Plastic fish: Mutant with bright red fish scales (scaley skin) and animal like head (Goldfish). Just to be perverse I don't give him fish like or aqutic powers. Criminal intuition, Ex-IQ, Bookworm, Feral, Physical perfection. Pirranah. a mean spirited genius. Tattered trenchcoat over spandex and a light undercover vest. 2 pistyols as weapon of choice, except he does like to bite.
Mobile Phone: Hardware electrical. Operator. Dark blue body suit, Miniturised Multi optics helmet and a comminucations station set as a fanny pack. monitors team transmissions, trolls incoming police chatter. usually stays a heck of a ways back with a sniper rifle and acts as cover fire for the Badguys escape, or ends up piloting the getaway vehicle. Make him ex marine.
Keys: Implies opening doors. while the idea of giving a guy weapons that look like keys seems appealing, it's old ground. an experiment with the powers of Doorways and some hightened attributes and senses (Physical perfection, nightvision, adhesion, Ex PP, Ex touch) I call him Intruder and dress him in basic black combat fatigues, balaclava and a bright red backpack (for tools)
Pencil: OK I got very little for this one. Guy who throws pencils? guy who turns into wood? I Go with 'Mr Woods' a green/grey vegetation alien from a dark world. I give him, APS Plant (fungus) motion detection, antennae and Earth empowerment. He's a rogue scientist who basically funds the group. He dresses in mishapen suits and wears dark glasses (light sensitive)

There. Seven badguys ripped from my desk, while I ate a sandwich. Scale as necessary.

Batts
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

I bought htis 2 weeks ago. np

First 60+ pages are ok. Rest is NPC's that I agree with some other posters, Ive enough of already. It is good and as always worth a buy (books are exactly dear for the use I get from them), but I did expect more from GI.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”