Dead Reign Art -

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

bar1scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

Dead Reign Art -

Unread post by bar1scorpio »

So I picked up my copy, and I guess I should start talking about what not many others haven't brought up yet. The game Art.

So the good thing is, for Palladium Fans, is that Dead Reign actually contains 100% original, non-recycled art. Everything from the pieces around character generation, skills section, what is a RPG? combat, everything has brand spankin' new artwork, and even a few new artists to go with it.

The Cover - Great piece. An RPG cover with emotional impact is a rarity. Has the elements of the best scenes of Zombie fiction.

Ashbaugh - For interiors, I'd have to set hers as the tops here. Her stuff has moody, crosshatched shading, almost every single drawing she's done for this book goes for a sense of fear. Atmospheric is the word I think I'm looking for, and her pieces bring the best of that tot he book. In particular, I'm digging the piece on page 145.

Bradshaw - This book is very heavy on Bradshaw's artwork of mutilated corpses and stark b&w line art. Oddly enough, seeing the zombies this far decomposed, only to read that the story of the main book takes place 5 months after the Wave hits is a bit out of place. But I think I remember the initial versions were to take place 4 years after the Wave. Beyond the zombie art, some of which is pretty humorous, the stand out piece (for me anyways) is actually his piece on 105.

Mumah - The Reaper on page 76, while getting bonus points for looking like Tom Savini, has really bad anatomy below the waist. Otherwise the pieces throughout the book work, though the shaded pieces tend to hold better than the lineart. The Shepard of the Damned piece had his best balance of line and shading, with perspective and anatomy switched to "on".

Dudley - really not much of him in this book, and some of them the anatomy can be off as well. Best piece would have to be in the weapons section, page 114. Nice comic-book panel, exaggerated expression and anatomy that's in an extreme, for emotional impact.

There's also a piece in the back of a Glitter Boy getting Swarmed by Zombies, but it's small and in B&W where the original is fairly obviously in color. Can't wait to see that as a cover, somewhere.
"The World Will be Saved By Steam!" - Professor Steamhead Ninja High School
kevarin
Adventurer

Re: Dead Reign Art -

Unread post by kevarin »

hummm i thought all the pics in this book were good
some are down right scary but these are the ones i like
in the book
page 6 think its the best one in the book
page 11 just creepy
page 22 the eyes give me the creeps
page 27 still need to get me a shirt
page 41 just not right
page 50 funniest pic in book
page 81 makes you wonder if the zombie will get him before he turns around
page 107 makes me want to say eat this
page 139 my local police force
page 140 the people that have looked thru my book seem to find this pic funny
page 164 another scarry one
page 189 second bast pic in book

for those that didnt see my post about this pic

http://mumah.deviantart.com/art/Mobbed-Inks-58844551
http://mumah.deviantart.com/art/Mobbed- ... p-56012481
http://mumah.deviantart.com/art/Mobbed-Painted-66254778
http://kevarin.deviantart.com/# my little attempt to add some color to the Palladium world

My gun does 4d6x1000 MD! There's no way this guy is gonna survive.
-- Famous Last Words of Rifts Players
krate
Explorer

Unread post by krate »

I agree wth everyone. PB finally did a book with no repeat art and art that was moody and dark and helped the setting. No guys in Triax jumpsuits or anything from another setting that jarred you out of the world you were reading about.
The Mumah piece (swarmed glitterboy) was the only out of place piece, but it is soooo cool and zombie themed that it doesn't matter. I loved it.
But DR's art was very appropriate and executed nicely by the artists. Good Stuff!
Please visit my DeviantArt page http://krateworx.deviantart.com/
Brian Manning
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: I'm the King of Rock, There is none higher!
Sucka MC's should call me sire!

Unread post by Brian Manning »

krate wrote:I agree wth everyone. PB finally did a book with no repeat art and art that was moody and dark and helped the setting. No guys in Triax jumpsuits or anything from another setting that jarred you out of the world you were reading about.
The Mumah piece (swarmed glitterboy) was the only out of place piece, but it is soooo cool and zombie themed that it doesn't matter. I loved it.
But DR's art was very appropriate and executed nicely by the artists. Good Stuff!

It's because Kevin didn't want my piece that I sent in for the book :cry: :cry: :evil: . It was a Zombie Zentradi suplexing a Rahu Man wearing some modified Triax Predator power armor in the middle of a make-shift ring surrounded by elves and dwarves like some twisted lumber jack match. He said something like "pro wrestling is fake." but I think it's because he didn't want the other artists looking bad.

I guess the other art was good, though...
Artwork • Social Media • Writing • Shenanigans
Brian-Manning.com
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Unread post by csbioborg »

Jaguar Wong wrote:
krate wrote:I agree wth everyone. PB finally did a book with no repeat art and art that was moody and dark and helped the setting. No guys in Triax jumpsuits or anything from another setting that jarred you out of the world you were reading about.

It's because Kevin didn't want my piece that I sent in for the book :cry: :cry: :evil: . It was a Zombie Zentradi suplexing a Rahu Man wearing some modified Triax Predator power armor in the middle of a make-shift ring surrounded by elves and dwarves like some twisted lumber jack match. He said something like "pro wrestling is fake." but I think it's because he didn't want the other artists looking bad.

oh man if such a piece was someday made please be publihed p[erhaps as the cover of the book of awesome?
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
krate
Explorer

Unread post by krate »

Jaguar Wong wrote:

LOL! :lol: :lol: That was hilarious!! Busted my spleen laughing so hard!!! And as funny as that was, I actually want to see that piece of art now!
Please visit my DeviantArt page http://krateworx.deviantart.com/
Brian Manning
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: I'm the King of Rock, There is none higher!
Sucka MC's should call me sire!

Unread post by Brian Manning »

You know, right after hitting submit, I was wondering if anyone would want to see that drawing. Maybe if we did some drunken art jam at the Open House, something like that would result.
Artwork • Social Media • Writing • Shenanigans
Brian-Manning.com

Return to “Dead Reign™”