normal size or manga sized...

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

what size do you perfer?

the normal, right sized PB book
48%
manga sized
5%
won't buy manga sized
19%
wants Both manga and normal sized & will buy both
11%
doesn't care what size
16%
what, you talking to me?
2%

Total votes: 64

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

normal size or manga sized...

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I for one want the new RT books in a normal sized book, and I don't care if it's a hard cover or soft.

The manga sized books won't stay open to the page you want when lain on a table.
However, I would like to have the errors and typos fixed in the normal sized books that were found in the manga sized books.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Re: normal size or manga sized...

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

I will NOT buy amanga-sized rpg, even though it is my fave.

That's what is going to stop me from possibly getting the Macross bok coming soon :badbad:
The Dragon Has Spoken
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Snake Eyes wrote:I will NOT buy amanga-sized rpg, even though it is my fave.

That's what is going to stop me from possibly getting the Macross bok coming soon :badbad:

Me too, and I was looking forward to seeing VF-1s in the new format!

Its simple, Manga-sized is good if you are reading a comic, not browsing an RPG. As Drewkitty said, the darn book will not stay open when you lay it on the table like a normal sized book does. When you are reading a comic book, you constantly keep your hands on the book to read it. Its not that big of a deal. For RPGs, how often during character creation have you put the book down to write/type your character sheet? Case closed. Deluxe is much better. I am VERY happy with Deluxe.

And yes, I bought the Manga-sized, so Im not going off of this by what I THINK it will be like...
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

Kagashi wrote:Its simple, Manga-sized is good if you are reading a comic, not browsing an RPG. As Drewkitty said, the darn book will not stay open when you lay it on the table like a normal sized book does. When you are reading a comic book, you constantly keep your hands on the book to read it. Its not that big of a deal. For RPGs, how often during character creation have you put the book down to write/type your character sheet?
I don't have a problem with it... hmm... let's see. I hold the book one handed, or I put the book down face down like I would with a novel. I don't have any spine damage. And wait - I have some very detailed character sheets on my computer too. Where I definitely had to reference HTH, OCC, MOS, Skills, etc... just to get all the right bonuses - then add in Mecha Combat in two different locations (cyclones and alpha's)

Maybe I am missing something... I guess the biggest problem I have is switching back and forth between the character and the Skill List and Secondary Skill List. But I believe that can be changed with Rifter #0.
verdilak
Adventurer

Unread post by verdilak »

I love books, I dont like to see them harmed in any way/shape/form. But... I say to burn the manga sized ones and never mention them again.
Wōdwulf Seaxaning
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Wōdwulf Seaxaning »

I haven't seen let alone read the RSC book yet. I want to eventually play it so I could care less about size as long as it's readable & doesn't fall apart .That said I prefer the regular PB size books as they'll be easier to read & fit better w/ my collection.
Better Dead than Red!
F**k AntiFa! F**k Nazis! F**k Communists!
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Tiree wrote:
Kagashi wrote:Its simple, Manga-sized is good if you are reading a comic, not browsing an RPG. As Drewkitty said, the darn book will not stay open when you lay it on the table like a normal sized book does. When you are reading a comic book, you constantly keep your hands on the book to read it. Its not that big of a deal. For RPGs, how often during character creation have you put the book down to write/type your character sheet?
I don't have a problem with it... hmm... let's see. I hold the book one handed, or I put the book down face down like I would with a novel. I don't have any spine damage. And wait - I have some very detailed character sheets on my computer too. Where I definitely had to reference HTH, OCC, MOS, Skills, etc... just to get all the right bonuses - then add in Mecha Combat in two different locations (cyclones and alpha's)

Maybe I am missing something... I guess the biggest problem I have is switching back and forth between the character and the Skill List and Secondary Skill List. But I believe that can be changed with Rifter #0.

Well, I type with two hands as keyboards are designed and intended to be used and my Deluxe sized one stays open face up so I can reference it and type at the same time. Manga doesnt do that.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

Kagashi wrote:Well, I type with two hands as keyboards are designed and intended to be used and my Deluxe sized one stays open face up so I can reference it and type at the same time. Manga doesnt do that.
I type with two hands. If I am copying large amounts of data, I lay the book out, and place a weight on a corner or two as needed.

But I haven't had the need to do that after a long time. Maybe I am just a computer geek and have the skills needed to work it out. Right now I have 3 OCC's and 15 MOS's listed out in an easy format for me. I have detailed character sheets that cross reference and update skills, and HTH and Mecha Combat abilities.

I am working on trying to get an Access Database together so I can have all my characters in an easy categorized database that I can update the character sheets and print them out.

This takes time, effort, and to be honest, my book isn't all that damaged over than the fact it started to have the cover peel since the first day I had received it. So - with that, it fits in the back of my pocket and has gotten a little bit more abused - but definitely well used.
MikeM
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by MikeM »

Although I prefer the standard size, I have no problem with the manga size.

MikeM

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”