What is the best/worst looking CS equipment?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

Best = Glitter Boy Killer, it just seems to clock up those style points.
Worst = Abolisher, it has one of those annoying penis lasers that Palladium has become notorious for.
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

Best: the Glitter Boy Killer (meanest suit of PA in all the books)

Worst: the CS Patrol Car (dopiest looking flying box ever inked to paper)

Honorable Mention: the original Spider Skull Walker (the first piece of CS gear to strike me with a sense of awe.)
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
tundro
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tundro »

*best* The Mauler power armor. It has such an imposing look to it (even though the stats for it aren't so hot). I'd probably run one just for the sheer "it looks cool" factor and see how long I could make it last.

*worst* I've never been fond of that centaur skel-bot abomination that they built. Thank gawd THAT project got scrapped. :)
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

I happen to dislike both the Glitterboy killer and the Hellraiser.

It's something about the designs that scream "Style over Substance". I.e. Exactly the wrong thing you want for a combat weapon.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Best: CA-7 Special Forces EBA and original SAMAS.

Worst: Pretty much everything else to be honest. The CS stuff looks like it lost to Cobra when Hasbro or whoever was picking the enemy GI Joe would fight.
Proseksword
Adventurer

Unread post by Proseksword »

Best: Tie between the Glitter Boy Killer, which seriously does look like the tech-hater's worst nightmare, and the ordinary, CA-4 Heavy Body Armor (new style) I love the slick, sleek, high-tech dead boy armor of CWC.

Worst: Has to be the Death's Head Transport. Nothing is dumber than a big, flying skull that carries guys around. It's an idea Skeletor would have come up with, then dismissed as too hard to take seriously. Runner up is the Spider Skull Walker & Abolisher, likewise for being a giant head with guns and no body.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

Best, CS death wing.

worst, the old style officer helmet frills.

Peace out yo!
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Best: Scorpion Skull Walker. Nothing says lovin' like railguns to the face coming from a robot with prowl.

2nd...LINEBACKER TANK

Worst: Officers Car.

Tie for second between The Helicopters in CWC and the Stealth Bomber. Not everything has to have the deaths Head on it, especially when it would screw up the intended purpose of the weapon...like STEALTH.

I personally like the abolisher. I don't like dick guns.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Alejandro wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:Not everything has to have the deaths Head on it, especially when it would screw up the intended purpose of the weapon...like STEALTH.

Like the CS Navy submarines and their incredible cavitation-causing death's head cowcatcher fronts? It's like looking at underwater plows.

I like to tell myself that these are achieved by clever use of painting effects, and that the CS can't be that stupid.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
finn69
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by finn69 »

favorite CS body armor the shark armor from cs navy
the one piece of cs equpment that looks the ugliest....toss up between abolisher and the cs subs with the deathhead on the front.
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Let's be honest, the CS has never looked as stylish as it did back in the rulebook. A solid, chunky, spike-encrusted 1980s vision of a fascist future, where everything looked badass enough that you didn't even think "skulls on everything? That's kinda silly".

As for worst, I'm pretty sure Rifts Mercenaries had some appallingly mediocre artwork. The "Grinning Skull" tank and whatever the fighter plane was called were both pretty lousy.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Rallan wrote:Let's be honest, the CS has never looked as stylish as it did back in the rulebook. A solid, chunky, spike-encrusted 1980s vision of a fascist future, where everything looked badass enough that you didn't even think "skulls on everything? That's kinda silly".

:ok:

There were a couple things in CWC that matched the original artwork, and those were also good.

The new style armor is crap.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
AdmTolval
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by AdmTolval »

Best would be the original SAMAS. The idea behind it and also the look of it.

Worst would be the Sea SAMAS. Why design a Sea SAMAS that is slower underwater than a Super SAMAS?
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

I like the look of the Old School Dead Boy armor over the over stylized new stuff.

Best bot: UAR-1 Enforcer

Best PA: Special Forces

Best gun: CP-50 (the C-14 was my fav oringinal but I like the updated one better)

Worst: Abolisher, New Skelebots, any supersonic aircraft or submarine with the Deaths Head motiff (what the hell we're they thinking?)
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
hahaha NXLA for the win.-- Galactus Kid x2
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
Knowledge is power, power corrupts, study hard, be evil.
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

Josh Hilden wrote:I like the Deaths Head motif.

WANNA FIGHT ABOUT IT!!!!!

:P

I like the motif as well, but when it actually impedes the functioning of the warmachine in question it becomes ridiculous.

Paint it on don't mold it. :lol:
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.

Unread post by Prince Artemis »

With the exception of the subs and jets, which should have gone with just painted motifs, the skull design IS a practical one. The coalition army is feared and you want to make sure that you can take advantage of that fear. The cs aren't the only ones using tanks, helicopters, ect so you need something that would make them REALLY stand out from long distance. You want the baddies to be running away, which is usually the case. Seriously, unless you have some major anti-air fire power, you're not likely to stick arround against a wing of death-head aircraft.

Remember folks, not everyone on rifts earth has seen all the world books and can recognize the different factions gear on sight, nor does everyone have that Identifying computer. They designed for fear and given the setting of rifts earth I'd say it works.
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

Best: Super SAMAS

Worst: The planes from Mercenaries. Yeah, I thought Dopps looked stupid when I first saw them in Gundam 0079... :P

~Josh
Proseksword
Adventurer

STRIIIIIIIKE BAAAAAAACK!!!!

It's a method of intimidation which is useful in the uneducated world of RIFTs! If you don't know what a Tank is, you are more likely to be afraid of something with a FACE!
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

Kick in the gnads.

Whats the point of having a stealth craft if you put a huge radar reflecting image on the front of your plane?
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

Nxla666 wrote:Kick in the gnads.

Whats the point of having a stealth craft if you put a huge radar reflecting image on the front of your plane?

**Assits the gnads Kick**

And the whole "it scares the crap out of it's foes" argument breaks down with the stealth craft - surely the whole point is not to be seen at all?
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.

Unread post by Prince Artemis »

sHaka wrote:
Nxla666 wrote:Kick in the gnads.

**Assits the gnads Kick**

And the whole "it scares the crap out of it's foes" argument breaks down with the stealth craft - surely the whole point is not to be seen at all?

******* slap response**
Unless there some new super tech kingdom out there that has yet to be printed, the CS has total air superiority. Not even Larsen's Brigade has a comparable air force so who even needs stealth air craft?

**follow up backhand**
Stealth isn't very stealthy now. Wasn't a Stealth bomber shot down in Iraq or afghanistan from the ground in the last 7 years? Yeah, reallll stealthy.
Proseksword
Adventurer

Stealth doesn't hide you visually. That's why Stealth aircraft fly their missions almost exclusively at night, and why they are all black. The Talon is all black too, so no one is even going to see it's evil grin until the daytime, and by then, it's too late.
Phadeout
Explorer

Unread post by Phadeout »

Best CS: Original CA-* body armor for Psi-Stalkers (spiked helmet).
Come on, it's BAD @$$ looking, even SCARY.

Worst CS: Too many to list... Anything with a Giant Head for a body. Anything that is "new style" and doesn't look anything like the original dead boys (though the new style Juicer armor is not bad). I could gripe for a long time but I just won't...
Phadeout

"Are you classified as human?"
"Negative, I am a meat popsicle."
Jefram_denkar
Rifts® Trivia Runner Up

Unread post by Jefram_denkar »

When it comes to the C.S. The best P.A. are the Samas (Original and the Special forces versions.)

Best robot is the Enforcer (it is old but it is a solid design).

Worst P.A. is the Mauler, frankly I just do not like the look of that thing.
Plus the fact it has the weakest Plasma ejectors on Rifts earth dose not help (4D6 MDC mind you since it says per laser blast in the description I am wondering if it is a typo)

And what seems to be 3/4 of the people here the Abolisher is the worst robot. Is it just me but dose that thing seem to scream. "Shoot me"

Mine you the C-144s on board are a good weapon. I just do not like the general design.
I've got an advanced pre-rifts energy rifle, A soul drinking rune blade, living bio armor, and a hover truck full of nukes. So why do I feel under equipped for this??? (Sir Joe the Gardner 7th level Ogre Keeper of the garden on his first encounters with the Mechanoids)
Kryzbyn
Hero
Comment: How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.
Ronald Reagan

Re: What is the best/worst looking CS equipment?

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

CS..hmmm...
The best: Free Quebec Glitter Boys. I like the classic designs. The pic with a Chromium Guardsman holdin the American flag...patriotic with a hard on.
Close second: Any of the FQ CS body armor. That shyte is stylin'.

Worst: I wouldn't be caught dead in a Hellfire.
Close second: Smiling jack SAMAS. The Joker called. He wants his style back.

Non CS
Best: Hunter. Mobile. Gun.
Worst: Any of the horribly cliche'd Japanese robots. No offense Kev, but you get to draw robots 0 more times.

BAD MOMMA DOG-FACE BANANA PATCH
"Well said, Kryzbyn! :ok: " -Killer Cyborg
"...I have to agree with the questions and comments made by Kryzbyn." - The man himself, Kevin Siembieda
+100 "acting like a real man" points - DLDC
"Damnit, we agree on something. It's time to rethink my position." - Misfit KotLD
HIPPIES ARE WHAT D-BEES EAT
RoadWarriorFWaNK
Comment: on a death march

Unread post by RoadWarriorFWaNK »

im a big fan of all the Old Style equipment, especially the SAMAS and the original Dead Boy EBA. And skelebots are pretty freakin sweet too.

As for the worst, I dont like the Fire Storm Mobile Fortress. It's unnecessary and excessive. And it just plain looks stupid. I also don't like the Glitter Boy Killer. It's just too....i dont know...busy. It looks clumsy. Too much going on. If i were to design a "Glitter Boy Killer" it would be much smaller and faster.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

best body armor: CS Commando. newstyle abilities, oldstyle asthetics.
Best Powered Armor: PA-06 SAMAS. though the Striker SAMAS deserves Honorable mention here.
Best Robot: UAR-1 Urban Enforcer. most of the new style either have too much form over function, or are just silly looking.
Best vehicle: CS Patrol Car

Worst body Armor: CA-06. looks way too bulky and the multi-lense array looks odd overlaid on the newstyle visor. though the CS juicers look kinda silly too.
Worst PA: the wing thing from WB: lonestar
Worst robot: the Skullsmasher bot. though the scorpion skull walker thing is a close second.
Worst Vehicle: any CS APC. apparently the artist's forget vehicles need something called ground clearance...
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
AdmTolval
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by AdmTolval »

Best: The old style SAMAS

Worst: While I like the new body armor, I have to agree with a gamer friend that the "leg warmers" look really bad.
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

Best = Wind Jammer sky cycle or Super SAMAS and I love the Glitter Boy Killer too
worst = The Abolisher (waste of ink)
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Im looking at this not only from visual design, but military application as well.

best body armor: CA-4 New Style armor. new style armor isnt getting much love in this poll, but I think they are sleek, and look better than the old style.
best small arm: CP-50 Dragonfire. The weapon not only looks like its designed to do what the description says, but it has decent range and damage, and not only uses energy weapons (economic) and kinetic weapons (damages more things than lasers do).
Best Powered Armor: PA-08A Striker. lots of MDC, lots of fire power, looks cool.
Best Robot: Ive always been partial to the UAR-1 Enforcer, although I still have a hard time imagining 2 people sitting in the crew compartment. The Scorpion Skull Walker is also pretty cool looking. I also like the Zentraedi looking IAR-5 Hellfire.
Best vehicle: Windjammer sky cycle

Worst body Armor: CA-5 Juicer EBA. A pony tail? Gay... otherwise, Ive never liked the old style "skull with eye balls" armor (CA-1/2)
Worst small arm: The crew served mini missile launcher from RMB (forget the name). Slow rate of fire, bulky, damage is not that much better than modern small arms.
Worst PA: Death Wing Air Assault Armor. I just pretend it doesnt exist.
Worst robot: Toss up between the idiotic design of the IAR-2 Abolisher (why design cannons that you must spin like a top to fire...)or the retarded looking IAR-4 Hellraiser (another one I just pretend doesnt exist).
Worst Vehicle: F-14 tomcat :shock: 300 years in the future and Top Gun is still popular?
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

Best = Super Samas and Kittani Destroyer Power Armor from Rifts Undersea. Both are very intimdating.

Best Guns = Toss up between Naruni and the Wilks series of weapons. I like Wilks more as thier guns have very sleek and high tech look to them.

Worst = The Abolisher because it looks like Humpty Dumpty fell off his wall and Karl Prosek had no idea how to put him back toghter again. Second would the Ng-EX-5 Behemoth Explorer. The art for it does it no justice whatsoever and it's max speed is 40mph. How are you supposed to outrun flying suits of power armour at that speed and almost no weapons.

Worst Guns = I pretty much dislike almost all the Northern Gun line of weapons. Some are so heavy and bulk that you need either a high PS to weild some of them properly. Compared to some of the other stuuf out there they comes across as boring imo.

Honorable Mention = NG-V& Hunter Mobile Gun Robot. It may not be as pretty looking as some other robots out there but its main weapon will have anybody who makes fun of your robot running for the hills.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

Lord_Coake wrote:I'm actually a fan of NG stuff. It has a non-nonsense look to it. May not be pretty, but will dammed well work.

The NG stuff does work. It still misses the cool factor that other less bulky and sleek weapons have. And that is what attracts the consumer. How big of bang it can do and how cool it looks.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Traska
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Traska »

Best: Original style CS armor. When it was *all* blue-black. Especially the SAMAS.

Worst: Well, the new CS stuff in general (especially in CWC, where it all looked like a giant cartoon), but specifically: It's a toss up between the Smilin' Jack and the Super SAMAS. It looks like they were designed by Xenomorphs.
Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I tend to view NG weapons as being somewhat like AK-47s... they may not be the best weapon around, but you can beat on them for days and they'll still fire.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!

Return to “Rifts®”