TW Creation Thoughts

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Talavar
Hero

TW Creation Thoughts

Unread post by Talavar »

A pair of players of mine, a techno-wizard and a fire warlock want to collaborate on an item, a gun that shoots a stream of lava like a flame thrower.

Clearly the primary spell would be River of Lava, and one secondary spell could be something like Fire Gout to give it a firing range, but what other secondary spells do you think would be necessary? Also, since this is a significant alteration of River of Lava, how much damage do you think a blast should do? The spell normally does 2d6x10, but that's for a full emmersion and per round. I'm thinking it should probably still do some damage per round, since it's going to be hard to immediately get that lava off, but clearly less than the standard version of the spell. Thoughts?
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.

Re: TW Creation Thoughts

Unread post by Prince Artemis »

Talavar wrote:A pair of players of mine, a techno-wizard and a fire warlock want to collaborate on an item, a gun that shoots a stream of lava like a flame thrower.

Clearly the primary spell would be River of Lava, and one secondary spell could be something like Fire Gout to give it a firing range, but what other secondary spells do you think would be necessary? Also, since this is a significant alteration of River of Lava, how much damage do you think a blast should do? The spell normally does 2d6x10, but that's for a full emmersion and per round. I'm thinking it should probably still do some damage per round, since it's going to be hard to immediately get that lava off, but clearly less than the standard version of the spell. Thoughts?

Check Rifts Australia. They have a gun in there that does basically the same thing.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

How about something like ..
To hit needing a mod roll of 11 or higher, however, 11-17 the target only gets a splatter, while a roll of 18 or more gets a full direct hit. With a Nat 20 double damage, but it can be avoided if the target scrapes most of the lava off, strike vs 15, taking up an APM.
Splatter: 5d6 MD
Full hit: 2D6x10 MD
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

If you have access to Hades, it tells you how much damage lava does per round. I believe its 2D6 until it cools or is wiped off. Either way, its not fun.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Armorlord
Hero

Re: TW Creation Thoughts

Unread post by Armorlord »

Talavar wrote:A pair of players of mine, a techno-wizard and a fire warlock want to collaborate on an item, a gun that shoots a stream of lava like a flame thrower.

Tack on TK as well and make it a "Lava Railgun" capable of 2D6x10 'bursts'? :demon:
Might need Impervious to Fire to protect the weapon and the holder from the heat, whichever design you use. Off hand for the Lava Thrower, I'd steal a page from my spray houserules and say Shooting wild penalty, 2d6 for 2d8 targets when waving it around, 2d6x2 for 1d8 target when waving across a narrower area. Bathe one target in a shower of molten lava and given 'em the full 2d6x10.
Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience. -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
It's not impossible, it's just really unfair. :( -Trance Gemini (Andromeda)
Tarnow and Romanov: Neighbors!

Politeness is not a shield, and criticism is not a sword to swing repeatedly.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”