Psychic Body Field & Magic Armor

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Malakai
Dungeon Crawler

Psychic Body Field & Magic Armor

Unread post by Malakai »

So, we had this come up in our last game, and I just thought I'd put it out there - (don't know if someone mentioned it before):

Do Psychic Body Field and [magic armor spell] stack?
"Rifts Earth is alot more scary when you realize that its effectively people with the education level of retarded children running around with military grade ordinance." - Taylor White

Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood.

H. L. Mencken
US editor (1880 - 1956)
Xynar
Wanderer

Unread post by Xynar »

Sure, why not? Armor stacking rules for an SDC environment would state that depending on the roll will depend on which armor is affected based on the AR. In an MDC environment, the only reason I would allow it to stack is because if that person needs that much protection, they're in over their head.
Xynar
The Great Adventurer
bigbobsr6000
Hero

Unread post by bigbobsr6000 »

That brings up a point, which one would be the "outer" armor? The magic or the psionic one. And if the psionic one is outer, would a
dispell magic spell get through the psionic one and dispell the magic one?
Shirley, damage woud go to the outer one first untill depleted and then to the inner one, right?

Oowww!! My brain hurts :-?
Mephisto: You have some morbid fantasies. I like it (okay)
pblackcrow:"If anyone deserves this it's you! (thwak) LOL...All in fun."
Natasha: Bob you're deadly. I like it.
Misfit KotLD: You're Gamer Bi-Polar.
Sanford: Excellent concept, Big Bob!
sasha: I think Bob gets the JUST A GAME award....for life.
Jerell: You sir, are ruthless, and that is why I like you.
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

Psychic Body Field describes itself as a Skintight field of psionic energy so therefore it would be the inner armor IMO
bigbobsr6000
Hero

Thanks for clearing that up. Hey, my brain stop hurting. Thanks :D
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Psychic Body Field & Magic Armor

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Malakai wrote:So, we had this come up in our last game, and I just thought I'd put it out there - (don't know if someone mentioned it before):

viewtopic.php?p=791585#791585

We didn't (that I remember) get too much into effects like Psychic Body Field, but pretty much all of the arguments about magic armor spells have been made in that thread.

(And I think that the subject might have be actually been officially addressed by Kevin in an interview or something, but I don't remember for certain)

Regarding Psychic Body Field, I'd say that it's more of an aura than an armor, so it should stack with other stuff, including actual EBA or other mundane armor.

I base this on the following passage:
The field takes the shape of a dim, white, transparent aura that completely surrounds and encloses the body of the psychic. Items held in his hands, hung from his back, or worn on top of his head are not protected.

It's vague, but it seems to be saying:
-Items held in his hands extend out past the field. For example, weapons.
-Backpacks or people strapped to the character's back are not protected
-Hats/crowns/head-dresses are not protected.

It might be argued that body armor is "hung from his back," but I believe that if that's the sort of thing that Palladium meant, they would have simply specified "armor" or "clothing" or even "possessions."
It might be argued that a helmet is worn on top of the head, but they're not; helmets are just worn on the head, as opposed to on top of the head. Like handheld items, and backpacks, hats and such extend out past the aura, and so are unprotected.

I would therefore rule that body armor is protected by the aura, unless it is unusually thick or bulky, or is considered an exo-skeleton or power armor.
Also, I would rule that Armor of Ithan and other magical armor spells would stack with Psychic Body Field.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
finn69
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Psychic Body Field & Magic Armor

Unread post by finn69 »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Malakai wrote:So, we had this come up in our last game, and I just thought I'd put it out there - (don't know if someone mentioned it before):

viewtopic.php?p=791585#791585

We didn't (that I remember) get too much into effects like Psychic Body Field, but pretty much all of the arguments about magic armor spells have been made in that thread.

(And I think that the subject might have be actually been officially addressed by Kevin in an interview or something, but I don't remember for certain)

Regarding Psychic Body Field, I'd say that it's more of an aura than an armor, so it should stack with other stuff, including actual EBA or other mundane armor.

I base this on the following passage:
The field takes the shape of a dim, white, transparent aura that completely surrounds and encloses the body of the psychic. Items held in his hands, hung from his back, or worn on top of his head are not protected.

It's vague, but it seems to be saying:
-Items held in his hands extend out past the field. For example, weapons.
-Backpacks or people strapped to the character's back are not protected
-Hats/crowns/head-dresses are not protected.

It might be argued that body armor is "hung from his back," but I believe that if that's the sort of thing that Palladium meant, they would have simply specified "armor" or "clothing" or even "possessions."
It might be argued that a helmet is worn on top of the head, but they're not; helmets are just worn on the head, as opposed to on top of the head. Like handheld items, and backpacks, hats and such extend out past the aura, and so are unprotected.

I would therefore rule that body armor is protected by the aura, unless it is unusually thick or bulky, or is considered an exo-skeleton or power armor.
Also, I would rule that Armor of Ithan and other magical armor spells would stack with Psychic Body Field.

thats the way i went with it. i was the gm in the game in question and instead of hold up the game with a debate and went on with the battle at hand and y es they were very over-gunned 8 SAMAS , 2 Spider-skull walkers and a MK 5 APC. the mindmelter put up a psychic body field and the shifter placed an armor bizzare on her as well. armor spells dont stack but there was nothing i could remember about psychic body field and armor spells so i allowed it to keep the game flowing and said we would ask on the forums here to see what the general consensus would be and go with it. thanks for the input all.

Randy
bigbobsr6000
Hero

I say yes, just to see the look on the player when I destroy all this armor in one hit from my Super NPC.

"Faster than a speeding munchkin will ever be! More powerful than any munchkin's weapons. Able to leap over munchkin stats in a single pencil stroke!"

"Look, up in the sky. It's a Pterodactyl? It's a Skycycle?"

"It's Super NPC. Yes it's Super NPC - Strange visitor from the GM's brain who came to this campaign with powers and abilities far beyond those of mere munchkins. Super NPC- who can change the course of mighty munchkins, bend their armor in his bare hands, and who disguised as the GM sees fit, a mild-mannered NPC during the GM's great campaign, fights a never-ending battle for Truth, Justice, and the Palladium Way."

(Flags wave, GMs cheer, and que music.....)

:D

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”