Shadow Chronicles cover and some artwork up

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Shadow Chronicles cover and some artwork up

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

The cover for Shadow Chronicles is up and some artwork is in the latest Press Release.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
AdmTolval
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by AdmTolval »

Love the cover and the sneak peek of the artwork. Can't wait to get my hands on this book. I hope it will be out before March though. I'm heading to Vietnam on the 15th and would like to have the book to read on the airplane.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i thought the update on the contents was more interesting, though the art is cool.

it looks like they listened to the fans and incorporated some of our suggestions. (as usual, but rarely do you see it so obviously)

lets see...
All the text is new, updated and brought in line with the official timeline, data, stats and info of Harmony Gold, plus additional details, info and gaming data. This makes Robotech® The Shadow Chronicles® RPG not only a fun role-playing game but an excellent and accurate guide and sourcebook to Robotech fans who have no intention of playing the game.

this is to be expected, though i hope HG lets palladium add their own concepts to the game when older periods are covered.
i figure this will be both the biggest source of discussion here, and the biggest source of flame wars. lets face it, HG's canon and the idea's of some of the fans using the OSM don't always match up.

Stats have been adjusted to reflect the official Robotech data and satisfy a new generation of gamers. And yes, that means the M.D.C. of mecha and the Mega-Damage inflicted by weapons have been powered up. Which also makes the Robotech® mecha and gear more readily compatible to Rifts® and other Mega-Damage settings.

oh dear, and whohoo!
while people will probably complain about how veritechs shouldn't be that tough or how X gun is too weak, this is a welcome announcement for most of us. many of the mecha from the old game were too weak, compared to other units in the game. which often caused problems bringing them into rifts/phaseworld.

i figure Cyclones probably stayed the same (new weapon options for sure), but everything else probably got ramped up to proper levels in comparison.

O.C.C.s use an M.O.S. structure and should be reasonably fast to roll-up.

probably the most vocal and unanimous request for the new game. should make things easier.

oh, and for all you complaining about the "manga size":
Just some of the other books in development
- Armageddon Unlimited™ (Minion War™)
- Fleets of the Three Galaxies™
- Rifts® Shemarrian Nation™
- Rifts® Lemuria
- Rifts® Delta Blues™
- Rifts® Dark Woods™
- Rifts® Voodoo
- Rifts® Triax™ 2 (World Book)
- Mysteries of Magic™ (Fantasy)
- Monsters & Magic™ (Fantasy)
- Nightbane® Survival Guide (Nightbane®)
- Atorian Empire™ (HU2)
- Robotech® sourcebooks.
- Deluxe Robotech® RPG (8½ x 11) – Summer.
- Rifts® Anthology Book.
- Chaos Earth novel.
- A variety of new products available only online directly from Palladium Books.
- And a lot more.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Jefram_denkar
Rifts® Trivia Runner Up

Unread post by Jefram_denkar »

It will be good to have Robotech back where it belongs, with Palladium Books.

The picture with the Cyclon is the one I find most interesting.

I wondering what the heck is mounted on it's right arm in addition to it's energy rifle???

The one beside it is also interesting from the marking on the leg it could be REF but it reminds me of ome thing the Robotech masters would use (the terminators)
I've got an advanced pre-rifts energy rifle, A soul drinking rune blade, living bio armor, and a hover truck full of nukes. So why do I feel under equipped for this??? (Sir Joe the Gardner 7th level Ogre Keeper of the garden on his first encounters with the Mechanoids)
AdmTolval
Megaversal® Ambassador

Jefram_denkar wrote
The one beside it is also interesting from the marking on the leg it could be REF but it reminds me of ome thing the Robotech masters would use (the terminators)

It has a Zentraedi symbol on its left shoulder. It looks like part Terminator, Zentraedi Male Power Armor, and Alpha. It could be some new Zentraedi-style REF mecha.

It states an OCC and MOS structure. That would be great. I planned to do a home brewed rules for REF MOS's. Now it seems I may not have to :-D
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

AdmTolval wrote:It has a Zentraedi symbol on its left shoulder.

No, it has the UEF rank on its shoulder, as seen during The Masters War and reused for The Sentinels. That particular one appears to be either a 2nd or 1st Lieutenant.

Dana Sterling rank insignia

Marie Crystal rank insignia

It looks like part Terminator, Zentraedi Male Power Armor, and Alpha. It could be some new Zentraedi-style REF mecha.

Its from Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles and it is a new Zentraedi mecha using captured Bioroid Invid Fighter mecha as the basis. However, it likely does not have the inertialess system the Bioroids have, since they are shown more than once to be able to move in space (and upper atmosphere) without the Skysled. Thats why it likely has the jet pack on its back (eventhough all but the Soldier Bioroid already have jet packs).

Its supposed to use an advanced gunpod based on the disc-type blaster of the Bioroid as well as point-blank missiles in the chest, Hammerhead 190mm short-range missiles in the legs (copied directly from the Alpha and Condor) and an over-the-shoulder particle cannon based on those carried by the Zentraedi Nousjadeul-Ger Powered Armour. Heavily armed, no doubt, but couldn't be anywhere near as agile as the Master's Bioroids (partly which is achieved by reducing the weight by not arming it to the teeth).

Bioroid Invid Fighter back detail

Bioroid Scout back detail

Bioroid flying in space without sled

Bioroid Elite Commander flying in space without sled

Bioroid flying in upper atmosphere without sled
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

I think the artwork looks awesome! And Thank you for those pics RSCF! They look pretty darn awesome!
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
AdmTolval
Megaversal® Ambassador

You're right, that is rank insignia.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Alright!
Can't wait to get my hands on one of those REF-approved Bioroids! Wonder if they'll be exlcusively for Zentraedi or if they'll be the new replacement for the Destroids.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

I am really happen we are getting hole new mecha out of it, too.
Grand Paladin
Adventurer

Unread post by Grand Paladin »

Jefram_denkar wrote:I wondering what the heck is mounted on it's right arm in addition to it's energy rifle???

From what I can remember from the Art of The Shadow Chronicles book (which I don't have in front of me), it's some sort of rail gun.

Rabid, or other's with the book could probably verify.
"In America the President reigns for four years and journalism governs forever and ever. "
— Oscar Wilde
"I reject your reality and substitue my own!"
— Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

I have to admit, I am extremely happy with the fact they are using MOS system for character generation.

I am a bit concerned with the whole upping the power level. Robotech was really nice being a low MDC environment. But in either case, I hope this will help overall, and provide a nice way to make everything internally consistent with damage and survivability.
Arnie100
Knight

Unread post by Arnie100 »

:D That's the Bioroid Interceptor! Stats are already on the Robotech Research Website! http://www.robotechresearch.com/
Jefram_denkar
Rifts® Trivia Runner Up

Arnie100 wrote::D That's the Bioroid Interceptor! Stats are already on the Robotech Research Website! http://www.robotechresearch.com/

Ok then which force uses it (Southern Cross, REF, Robotech Masters, etc...)???

Looked threw and could not find it.
I've got an advanced pre-rifts energy rifle, A soul drinking rune blade, living bio armor, and a hover truck full of nukes. So why do I feel under equipped for this??? (Sir Joe the Gardner 7th level Ogre Keeper of the garden on his first encounters with the Mechanoids)
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Jefram_denkar wrote:Ok then which force uses it (Southern Cross, REF, Robotech Masters, etc...)???

UEF, since the distinction between Army of the Southern Cross and REF is artificial (and counterintuitive to boot). According to The Sentinels scriptbooks (and based on dialogue in Ghost Town and Dark Finale), the REF is composed of Air Force/Spacy and Army of the Southern Cross units. It would be like making a disctinction between US Army troops and CentComm/Iraqi Freedom troops.

So, to give a short answer to a long rant by me, they are used by Earth-allied Zentraedi. Most likely they were developed during the InterWar Period by the UEF for whatever Zentraedi units were still on Earth during the 2nd Robotech War. Given that in the closing credits we see a Blue Invid Fighter Bioroid, its likely they were still in use by the demobilized Masters forces fighting on after the loss of the Cityships and Zor Prime's release of the Flower of Life. After the UEG fell to the Invid during the Invasion, Breetai's units in space were outfitted with them.
Jefram_denkar
Rifts® Trivia Runner Up

Rabid Southern Cross Fan wrote:
Jefram_denkar wrote:Ok then which force uses it (Southern Cross, REF, Robotech Masters, etc...)???

UEF, since the distinction between Army of the Southern Cross and REF is artificial (and counterintuitive to boot). According to The Sentinels scriptbooks (and based on dialogue in Ghost Town and Dark Finale), the REF is composed of Air Force/Spacy and Army of the Southern Cross units. It would be like making a distinction between US Army troops and CentComm/Iraqi Freedom troops.

So, to give a short answer to a long rant by me, they are used by Earth-allied Zentraedi. Most likely they were developed during the InterWar Period by the UEF for whatever Zentraedi units were still on Earth during the 2nd Robotech War. Given that in the closing credits we see a Blue Invid Fighter Bioroid, its likely they were still in use by the demobilized Masters forces fighting on after the loss of the Cityships and Zor Prime's release of the Flower of Life. After the UEG fell to the Invid during the Invasion, Breetai's units in space were outfitted with them.

Ah so would you say it is like how the US Army and Navy were set up during World War two (working together but with seperate command structures) or more like the current set up of the Canadian armed forces (all military personal under one unified command structure with only a limited divide between the services)???
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Unread post by Drakenred®™© »

glitterboy2098 wrote:oh dear, and whohoo!
while people will probably complain about how veritechs shouldn't be that tough or how X gun is too weak, this is a welcome announcement for most of us. many of the mecha from the old game were too weak, compared to other units in the game. which often caused problems bringing them into rifts/phaseworld.

i figure Cyclones probably stayed the same (new weapon options for sure), but everything else probably got ramped up to proper levels in comparison.

O.C.C.s use an M.O.S. structure and should be reasonably fast to roll-up.

probably the most vocal and unanimous request for the new game. should make things easier.

oh, and for all you complaining about the "manga size":
Just some of the other books in development
- Armageddon Unlimited™ (Minion War™)
- Fleets of the Three Galaxies™
- Rifts® Shemarrian Nation™
- Rifts® Lemuria
- Rifts® Delta Blues™
- Rifts® Dark Woods™
- Rifts® Voodoo
- Rifts® Triax™ 2 (World Book)
- Mysteries of Magic™ (Fantasy)
- Monsters & Magic™ (Fantasy)
- Nightbane® Survival Guide (Nightbane®)
- Atorian Empire™ (HU2)
- Robotech® sourcebooks.
- Deluxe Robotech® RPG (8½ x 11) – Summer.
- Rifts® Anthology Book.
- Chaos Earth novel.
- A variety of new products available only online directly from Palladium Books.
- And a lot more.

I suspect the Anti Kevs are getting out their nice sharp penciles and highlighters

As for the mecha, I for one had tossed some of the damage done by various weapons (I had convertted virtualy all of the first gen human weapons to do 1D6 per cm for example, and tosse din some specialty ammos IE DU rounds for the GUXX, Canister, "rubber baton",Explosive, and AP rounds for the Raidar X)
冠双
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Jefram_denkar wrote:Ah so would you say it is like how the US Army and Navy were set up during World War two (working together but with seperate command structures) or more like the current set up of the Canadian armed forces (all military personal under one unified command structure with only a limited divide between the services)???

The REF is basically organized like Central Command, ie - its a Unified Command. The Army of the Southern Cross, on the other hand, is a Service Branch (ie - UEF Army).
Grand Paladin
Adventurer

Unread post by Grand Paladin »

An interesting thought just occurred to me, if the REF/Zentraedi Bioroid Interceptor (name from the Art of the Shadow Chronicles), from the Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles is making it into the RPG, then is there a chance we'll see the Invid Overlord mecha from Prelude as well?!?!?

If so, then we could make the educated assumption that the Invid Overlord Variable mecha is virtually canon in the Robotech universe.

This would be due to the mecha making (hopefully) appearances in 3 distinct licensed works:
1: Robotech Invasion
2: Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles
3: Robotech the Shadow Chronicles RPG (unconfirmed, and speculative)

Either way, canon material or not having the Invid Overlord mecha in the RPG would be VERY cool.

And a sidenote, the large weapon on the new Cyclone VR-057 Super Cyclone is a "70 kJ rail gun capable of firing bursts of high speed armor piercing sabots" again per the Art of the Shadow Chronicles
"In America the President reigns for four years and journalism governs forever and ever. "
— Oscar Wilde
"I reject your reality and substitue my own!"
— Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

May I remind you all that we only see the Bioroid Interceptor in Prelude. The Souther Cross was in a shambles after the Masters, and so was the most if not all of the Earth governments. So I am almost 100% sure that they could not have made a new mecha. From all that I have seen, the Bioroid is a REF design only, most likely, almost positiveily make by them after they took Tirol. All they most likely did was took over the poduction plants, made some mondifactions, and they got new mecha. Much faster and cheeper doing it that way then retooling the hole plant.
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Alpha 11 wrote:The Souther Cross was in a shambles after the Masters, and so was the most if not all of the Earth governments. So I am almost 100% sure that they could not have made a new mecha.

Beyond the simple fact that the UEG was not 'in a shambles' to the point of not being able to prosecute a war after the destruction of the city-ships (the Narrator states in The Invid Invasion that the UEF was still fighting when the Invid invaded in 2031), you are rather conveniently forgetting about Space Station Liberty, which was basically a smaller version of the Factory Satellite.

Simple solution, bring an existing copy of the Bioroid Invid Fighter to SSL and have the RRG guys like Dr Sampson Beckett, Dr. Miles Cochrane or even Dr. Louie Nichols try and reverse engineer it. As I said, given the fact it has to rely on that jetpack in space, it means they probably could not totally reverse engineer the inertialess flight system. Its also highly doubtful they could reverse engineer either the Bioroid Control Diode cybernetic implants or the BioPsycher Control Helmet.

From all that I have seen, the Bioroid is a REF design only, most likely, almost positively make by them after they took Tirol.

First off, the REF is NOT a self-contained entity. Its an Expeditionary Force, no different than our troops now in Iraq. The bureaucratic and logistical tail for the REF is on Earth until the Invid Invasion. That is a simple fact of existence as well as being common sense. Whats more, if you read the Prelude comics carefully, you realise the REF did not make it to Tirol until AFTER the Invid Invasion in 2031.

Much faster and cheeper doing it that way then retooling the whole plant.

While I do not doubt that there were surviving manufacturing centers of the Robotech Masters that the REF found, its doubtful any copies of the Bioroid Invid Fighter were found outside of the conflict on Earth. Again, the simplest answer is that it was reverse engineered from a copy found by the UEF in the InterWar period.
Aramanthus
Monk

I thought that the REF took it's own manufacturing facilities with them. Therefore they'd only need raw materials. The SDF was supposed to have limited manufacturing facilities on board.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Aramanthus wrote:I thought that the REF took it's own manufacturing facilities with them. Therefore they'd only need raw materials. The SDF was supposed to have limited manufacturing facilities on board.

But who owns those facilities? Who pays the taxes that give paychecks to those in the REF? What military-industrial corporation designed the mecha? Unless someone is saying the REF is run as a military dictatorship, the simple fact is that it would be modeled on current Western militaries as far as civilian interaction.
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

Rabid Southern Cross Fan wrote:
Aramanthus wrote:I thought that the REF took it's own manufacturing facilities with them. Therefore they'd only need raw materials. The SDF was supposed to have limited manufacturing facilities on board.

But who owns those facilities? Who pays the taxes that give paychecks to those in the REF? What military-industrial corporation designed the mecha? Unless someone is saying the REF is run as a military dictatorship, the simple fact is that it would be modeled on current Western militaries as far as civilian interaction.

Actually - I can see the RDF/REF after the RoD would become their own government/community. More than likely what would happen is that it works quite like commerce did on the SDF-1. Not to mention commerce seems to revolve around Protoculture and who owns it.

But alas, there were supposedly no civilians that went with the REF (except Minmei), so I would expect that commerce would be similar to getting stuff from a PX store in real life, only as where the goods were manufactured by soldiers for soldiers.

I doubt that the REF has access to the UEF to make sure every soldier got paid. Have enough sick leave, dental, benefits, and access to the stock exchange. The REF would need to be set up as independent as it could be, allowing ties to the Earth for Family bonds.
Aramanthus
Monk

You would think those would be run by the military. And I think that the REF would be like a Military dictatorship simply because they are so far from earth. They don't have direction communications with earth so they have to be self-sufficent. That would be a terribly long and vulnerable logistical train.

HH....FIE
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Tiree wrote:Actually - I can see the RDF/REF after the RoD would become their own government/community. More than likely what would happen is that it works quite like commerce did on the SDF-1. Not to mention commerce seems to revolve around Protoculture and who owns it.

The SDF-01 was a small community compared to the Pioneer Mission. They still had an economy based on paper money (I would assume the SDF-01 command staff was borrowing against UEG credit). People continued to work, get a paycheck and people continued to buy and sell items (food, booze etc).

But alas, there were supposedly no civilians that went with the REF (except Minmei), so I would expect that commerce would be similar to getting stuff from a PX store in real life, only as where the goods were manufactured by soldiers for soldiers.

Untrue as the Pioneer Mission was had a threefold mission statement, one of which was the setting up of colonies to ensure humanity's survival. There were most certainly civilians as part of the REF mission.

I doubt that the REF has access to the UEF to make sure every soldier got paid. Have enough sick leave, dental, benefits, and access to the stock exchange. The REF would need to be set up as independent as it could be, allowing ties to the Earth for Family bonds.

Sorry, but the UEF not only maintains FTL-comm with th REF, they have numerous spacefold-capable ships. Its absurd to believe the REF left on a one-way mission. That is an artificial construct of the novels and is most certainly disproven by the Tv series.
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Aramanthus wrote:You would think those would be run by the military.

No doubt after the fall of the UEG in 2031 to the Invid, the military has a greater level of control over the colonies than before. Its probable that in fact the Expeditionary Council, as it exists in Prelude, runs roughshod over the colonial governments.

And I think that the REF would be like a Military dictatorship simply because they are so far from earth. They don't have direction communications with earth so they have to be self-sufficent. That would be a terribly long and vulnerable logistical train.

As shown in False Start, Mind Games, The Invid Invasion and Ghost Town, the humans have reliable faster-than-light communications, which is why Space Station Liberty's was so vital during the 2nd Robotech War. The UEG would be able to excercise its control over the Pioneer Mission as needed, though its readily apparent that they tended to leave well enough alone and not micromanage. Neither did Supreme Commander Leonard micromanage operations outside what was necessary (and we really only see him do that in Triumvirate when he blasted out Captain Nordoff for failing to follow his orders).

Spacefold technology, likewise, is shown to be quite reliable. It doesn't matter one stinking iota what is written in The Art of Shadow Chronicles that spacefolding was unreliable during this era as there is NOT one shred of evidence to support such a claim. We see at least 3 reinforcements from The Pioneer Mission: Outsiders, Mind Games and Catastrophe. Sometime during the InterWar Period, the Old Coots from Ghost Town return from Deep Space as well. Is spacefold instantaneous? No, but you can reliably get to your destination if you know where it is. The REF's logistical tail is not limited by the distances your thinking as they likely stayed inside our galaxy searching for Tirol (which is likley outside ours, if the Masters came directly from there in eps. #29 The Robotech Masters).
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Unread post by Drakenred®™© »

Personaly I think a lot of the continuity problem would be solved if they would ret-con the Middle arc to be the story of earths first colony/base at a world in the "southern Cross" constelation in suport of Space Station Liberty's relay mission, not their fualt that they stumbled on on one of TRM/Zor Primes Secret labs
冠双
Aramanthus
Monk

A chain of colonies would explain the comm channels being open for the most part.

HH....FIE

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”