House Rule Resolution Mechanic for Non-Skill based Checks

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Kelorin
Adventurer
Location: Aboard the USS Lexington, flagship of the New Navy Atlantic Fleet

Unread post by Kelorin »

I was toying with the idea of creating 2 percentile numbers that would be unique to every character as a alternate system to Savings throws. They would be Physical Resistance = (P.E. x 2) + P.S. and Mental Resistance = (M.E. x 2) + M.A. The percentages would be used just like skills when trying to resist torture, poisons, sleep deprivation, exhaustion or coersion, seduction, respectively.

eg: a character with a P.S. of 18 and a P.E. of 15 would have a Physical Resistance of 48%. A character with a P.S of 12, and a P.E. of 10 would have a Physical Resistance of 32%. This way everyone isn't trying to save using the exact same number. A characters ability to resist various hazards would be a true reflection of their attributes. Mental Resistance also works for Psionics, and the 2 stats averaged together would provide for a 3rd percentage stat called Magic Resistance.

I'm thinking about using the nearest appropriate attribute as a skill percentage substitute for skills that are not known to the character.

NOTE: Something else our group started trying out was alternate skill bonuses applying for high attributes other than I.Q. eg. Having an I.Q. of 21 might be great for Mathematics, and Computer Programming, but may not be as useful for Swimming, Pick Pocketing, Seduction, or Piloting. For skills are are more physical in nature, we started using the physical stats to provide the bonus that an equivalent I.Q. would normally have provided.

eg: A character has an I.Q. of 17, a P.S. of 21 and a P.P. of 13. He would get his I.Q. bonus for skills requiring 'brain power'. He would get a bonus equivalent to an I.Q. of 21 for skills requiring strength (like Swimming or Climbing), and he would get no bonuses to skills benefitting from manual or physical dexterity like Gymnastics, Pick Pockets, or Pilot Automobile.
Apollo Okamura wrote:Kelorin WINZ!! :-)
TechnoGothic wrote:Kelorin WINZ!!

Return to “G.M.s Forum”