Realistic Battle

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Myndtrip
D-Bee

Unread post by Myndtrip »

I used to do a random roll too, but like you pointed out, at times it doesn't make sense.

For me now it all depends. My new game goal is to flesh out the NPC's as much as possible as far as personality, background etc. Then I basically play them as MY PC and attack whoever the heck I want. My advise then is to try and see the fight from the NPC's perspective and make the move that makes the most sense. If a Glitter Boy and a Mind Melter are coming at the NPC's then probably all the attacks will focus on the GB first and continually until it's not a threat. The Mind Melter probably wouldn't "pull aggro" unless he did something obvious.

With mindless or primitive NPC's the scenario could go down way different. If they don't know what a boom gun is, the little guy with the vibro knife may appear more dangerous at first. Of course these NPC's are most likely to change targets after the boom gun hits.

I would try to use logic rather then random. Not only will it flow better, but it'll make for more in depth and thought provoking battles.
Myndtrip
"What would it take to make me normal? Perhaps a proper outlook and a need to wear tweed formal wear." ~Josh Martinez
"When someone asks if you are a god, you say YES!" ~Ghostbusters
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

We tend to spit monsters evenly between us, which we don't pretend is anything to do with the game world.

Really you start at this principle - converging fire. The baddies will converge fire on whoever they can organise themselve to do so.

If they can't all shoot at the one guy, then those who can't spread their shot to someone else.
My WIP browser game : Come see how it's evolving!
Philosopher Gamer: Thought provoking blog!
Driftwurld: My web comic!
Relkor: "I believe the GM ruled that they did vomit..."
t0m
Adventurer
Comment: nothing left and nothing right

Unread post by t0m »

my npcs try to use the most efficient tactics possible, and honestly try to kill the players. i use called shots to cripple the best fighter, if the npcs have any magic at all i use it without reservation, they take hostages, feign death, prowl, try to use the environment (landslide, collapse, pits, traps etc). my players would get bored if i didnt try as hard as i can....
KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

1-Opportunity: Who is closest to who?
2-Personality: Is your NPC gutsy and like taking downt he bigman or cowardly and if no one is around he thinks he can take will he try to prowl intot he shadows and attack from afar...

I think a battle map would help you out a bit in making these decisions
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”