Roman Empire

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, tune in tomorrow for all the Wolfen=Roman posts!

-Vek
"Starring, J. Lionheart!"
Marcantony
Adventurer

Unread post by Marcantony »

Last edited by Marcantony on Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I'm assuming you don't have the Compendium of Weapons, Armor, and Castles?

For Romans, you're going to be looking at Banded Mail for officers, and chain mail (both half suits) for lower rankers. Both would use heavy wooden and steel shields. They favor short spears, short swords (their primary weapon), and daggers. Their cavalry will wear half suits of chain and use long swords, but are likely to be Germans, Illryians or Scythians. Lances and bows weren't practical for cavalry, since they didn't have stirrups.

Where else are you looking at in the empire?
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Spectre
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Spectre »

duck-foot wrote:thanks guys. i was wondering on troop formations, holdings, how far the empire stretched, womens role (probible lower than a dogs), general info. i would do the reaserch myself, however my time is limited on the comp. and i have atb and splicers stuff to post.

If you know the layout of Europe any...

The borders of the Roman empire north were the Danube River and the Rhine River, Eastern borders were around the Euphrates River, it extended south along the nile river, west to the Atlantic Ocean, and took up most of north africa and nearly all of the Isle of Britian.

Women were treated suprisingly civil. They were still pushed to marriage. Upper class women were not kept sepereate, were often educated, and normally took care of the money and estate while her husband was away. Roman women were not allowed into public life (politics). They did have some legal rights but were still subject to their husbands.

Troop formation is easy. The phalanx. If you know that, you know Roman tactics.

You're welcome. :D
"A little Rebellion now and then is a good thing." Thomas Jefferson
(To the tune of Ride of the Valkyries): Death and Destruction, Chaos and Carnage, Total Annailation Now!
300 Movie Geek Points
"I immediately regret this decision."- Jack Hare
Sgt Anjay
Hero

Unread post by Sgt Anjay »

Spectre wrote:Troop formation is easy. The phalanx. If you know that, you know Roman tactics.

The Romans at their height did not use the phalanx. The Romans used a much more fluid and adaptable formation. In fact, Roman legions decisively defeated Greek phalanx formations and the phalanx disappeared from general use in Europe until ressurected by pikemen during the middle ages, after Roman legions had themselves been soundly defeated by heavy cavalry formations.
"Cuando amanece se van a inflictir, duros castigos y oscuros tormentos, a los que ni quieren ni dejan vivir" -'Posada de los Muertos'
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
Spectre
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Spectre »

Sgt Anjay wrote:
Spectre wrote:Troop formation is easy. The phalanx. If you know that, you know Roman tactics.

The Romans at their height did not use the phalanx. The Romans used a much more fluid and adaptable formation. In fact, Roman legions decisively defeated Greek phalanx formations and the phalanx disappeared from general use in Europe until ressurected by pikemen during the middle ages, after Roman legions had themselves been soundly defeated by heavy cavalry formations.

Maybe I should qualify myself some more. We mean two different things, and it's probably my fault.
By phalanx, i am talking more of the advancing in close formation with shields locked close, not the overall lines of advance. They did invent the tortise, after all. That's getting in close.
The Romans modified the traditional phalanx. They moved in three rows with more gap between them. Their lines were much more manuverable than the traditional. It was this battlefield manuverability that gave them their huge advantage.
"A little Rebellion now and then is a good thing." Thomas Jefferson
(To the tune of Ride of the Valkyries): Death and Destruction, Chaos and Carnage, Total Annailation Now!
300 Movie Geek Points
"I immediately regret this decision."- Jack Hare

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”