Are these books worth it?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RockJock
Knight

Are these books worth it?

Unread post by RockJock »

My local used book store just got a load of PF books in. I picked up:
Northern Hinterlands
Monsters and Animals
Yin sloth Jungles
Western Empire

They also had:
Island at the Edge of the World
Balgor Wastelands
The Library of Bletherad
Land of the Damned 1 & 2
and a first edition book I can't recall.

Are any of the books I passed on worth picking up?

I usually buy source books for two reasons. I enjoy reading as the world develops, plus I may eventually start GMing.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

In my opinion, the only answer I have here is "Yes."

If you're not in a position to scoop up all of them, I'd say the best ones of those to get after the main book are Bletherad and M&A. The others can be fun regionally, and have some campaign wide content, but LoB and M&A are really major additions to any game.
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin
Entiago
Adventurer

Re: Are these books worth it?

Unread post by Entiago »

RockJock wrote:My local used book store just got a load of PF books in. I picked up:
Northern Hinterlands
Monsters and Animals
Yin sloth Jungles
Western Empire

They also had:
Island at the Edge of the World
Balgor Wastelands
The Library of Bletherad
Land of the Damned 1 & 2
and a first edition book I can't recall.

Are any of the books I passed on worth picking up?

I usually buy source books for two reasons. I enjoy reading as the world develops, plus I may eventually start GMing.

As you start GMing, it is great to have all the books for points of referance not to mention all the places you can go. Before ET book came out I had to make my own cities and other things- was such a pain in the bum.

A brief discription on each of the books you passed:

Island at the Edge of the World: Great discription on more of the Old Kingdom Mts (until the Old Kingdom books themselves come out). Has a good adventure and includes some crystal items - basically magic ISP items. The Church of the Scar is a great religion also.

If you want some OK mts info-good buy but its mostly an adventure book.

Baalgor Wastelands: Covers the area that was once a great part of the Elven Empire. Has great RCCs, some adventures, giant (race) cities, gromek (race) strongholds, pirate coves and struggling communities, not to mention the Free City Troker- wounderful place.

Great buy if you plan on travelling that way or want an interesting race to play.

Library of Brethald: This is a great book, arguably on of the best. It pretty much covers the biggest library on the island of Y-Oda. New spells, Rune items, some demons, and more (Brotherhood of Brethald).

Must have for any GM, nuff said.

Land of the Damned 1: Covers the Norther Mts area and the great rift. Has New RCCs, some adventures, and the Random Monster Generator- great for making your own monsters.

Not likely that any group you run will ever want to go here, let alone be able to survive a good run, but its nice to have for the monsters.

Land of the Damned 2: One of my favorite books, covers some more of the Damned Lands- mostly the southern part. Also has adventure ideas, New RCCs, 15 races of undead, and the Curse Compendium.

Again not likely to go here, but this is one of the better ones to have if you like undead and curses.

So its up to you if you think they are worth it. Me, I get every PF book that came out because sometimes new skills, spells, OCCs, RCCs, info, etc., are placed in the books. That and my players always like to travel. Although for the first year of GMing I used the Old Ones book-plenty in there until you run out of imagination.
We may be through with the past, but the past is not through with us.
- the Book

another year come and gone without a PF release. :(
Rpgpunk
Explorer

Unread post by Rpgpunk »

Yes, just get them all.
RockJock
Knight

I will probably go back and buy the rest. What was werid is most of the books I passed on the first time around had 2 or 3 copies on the shelf. Maybe they bought closeouts from a shop.
Maddog
D-Bee

Unread post by Maddog »

Do not pass up a opportunity to get Baalgor Wastelands or Library of Bletherad, both are fantastic. The Lod 1 & 2 are both good for GM's personal info, maybe you can slip a little something from them into a regular campaign, but they're pretty high level stuff. Island at the edge of the World is the only PFPRG i've never bought despite playing the system for 15 years, so..buyer beware.
" God is on the side with the heavyist battalions"
-Voltaire
RockJock
Knight

Well, I ended up going back to the bookstore and grabbing one of each. It looks like I have plenty of reading for my spare time.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Yup, all good

Note that Island at the Edge of the World is a 1st Edder
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”