Selling off on E-bay?

For all talk related to Robotech RPG Tactics™. A strategic, tactical board game brought to you by Palladium Books®, Ninja Division® and Harmony Gold®

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ChainmailleSmith
Megaversal® Ambassador

Selling off on E-bay?

Unread post by ChainmailleSmith »

:x :oops: Some are selling off there RRT on E-Bay already. Some are game stores. REALLY!! :oops: :x :badbad: :badbad: :badbad: :badbad:
It is by will alone I set my pliers in motion. It is by the rings of Maille that hands acquire dexterity, the hands acquire wounds, wounds become a warning. It is by will alone I set my pliers in motion

Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Re: Selling off on E-bay?

Unread post by Jefffar »

Webstores should not be selling and Palladium may need to take action.

There is direct contact information in my signature if you wish to discuss this with them.

Also, a bit of checking found an E-Bay webstore estimating delivery in December. They may be jumping the gun with orders in anticipation of delivery instead of having a firm date yet. Most of the other stuff in their store lists delivery dates of about a week or clearly indicates they are pre-orders.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Axoid
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Axoid »

There was nothing stopping a store from participating in the KS, so i wouldn't be surprised if a few did and will sell the stuff when it arrives.
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

There's one store that has been selling pre-orders for over a year now. That's nothing new.

And agreed; if a store owner or employee bought in during the KS and decided they wanted to sell on eBay, that's their prerogative. Given that PB isn't shipping out anything bigger than a single "battle cry" set, it's not like any given store will have received much product yet.

This seems like a non-issue. People are free to re-sell as they wish, as long as they're following ebay's guidelines.

Hell, I'm planning to sell some of my stuff off when it arrives. I don't need 27 VT's or 72 Battlepods, etc.
Phaze
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Pirate Wisdom:
Rum is a journey, and a destination.

Unread post by Phaze »

Forar wrote:Hell, I'm planning to sell some of my stuff off when it arrives. I don't need 27 VT's or 72 Battlepods, etc.

WHAT!?? WHY NOT?!!! :shock:

I need Legions! 4.8 million ships of Battlepods for the great Invasion of Earth!

72 just won't be enough!

AHHHHHHH!

<<whimper>>

Sorry...Meds all out of whack. :cry:
I'll still enjoy watching you get blown off the table while you stare in helpless wonder at Phaze's marching legions of colored perfection. -- Godsgopher
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

Because between my friends and I, we'll have 72 VT's before said sales. (as an example)

Because I don't want to build 81 figures when I'll probably never use more than 42.

Because 3 battle cry boxes plus add ons was very expensive, and I'd like to recoup some of those costs.

Because I'm not particularly interested in playing as the Zentraedi, and will likely just keep a token force of them for when I decide to have a little demo game at home, or contribute to one of our larger 4 player games.

Late edit: I know you admitted to being facetious, but my point was simply that vilifying people who are choosing to sell is nonsensical (not that you were, Phaze, but the OP here seems awfully riled up about it, emoticons everywhere!). Once they pay for the product and it's in their hands, it's theirs to do with as they see fit, including giving it to people, throwing it in a closet, tossing it on ebay, etc. While people are asking (and in some cases getting) pretty extravagant amounts for Battle Cry boxes, I suspect that the costs will begin to come down significantly once the supply grows dramatically and the demand begins to be met.

This isn't the first time this little 'omg ebay!' thing has played out, and it shan't be the last.
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

ChainmailleSmith wrote::x :oops: Some are selling off there RRT on E-Bay already. Some are game stores. REALLY!! :oops: :x :badbad: :badbad: :badbad: :badbad:

Really, it was inevitable... you'll see more as more RRT boxes find their way into the hands of backers, who will discover the game doesn't have players in their area to play against or will find out the game wasn't really what they expected when they backed it on Kickstarter. Others will resell or offer preorders at an obscene markup to cash in on the impatience of backers and non-backers who wanted to support the game.

You see the latter a lot with high-demand limited edition items... the Macross DX Chogokin transformable toys invariably end up with online sellers offering preorders even before preorders from the manufacturer become available, at several times what it would cost in direct sales.

Robotech stuff normally ends up resold at a fraction of the original price, so if online sellers are already offering RRT for sale WITHOUT a significant markdown that's actually a good sign. It means they think there's actually going to be demand for it in the short term.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

Hell, we already had people buying the Max and Miriya 2013 Gencon Exclusives and tossing them right onto Ebay.

Nature of the beast that is global commerce.
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

Phaze wrote:
Forar wrote:Hell, I'm planning to sell some of my stuff off when it arrives. I don't need 27 VT's or 72 Battlepods, etc.

WHAT!?? WHY NOT?!!! :shock:

I need Legions! 4.8 million ships of Battlepods for the great Invasion of Earth!

72 just won't be enough!

AHHHHHHH!

<<whimper>>

Sorry...Meds all out of whack. :cry:

:lol: :lol:
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

Larry A wrote:
Seto Kaiba wrote:Really, it was inevitable... you'll see more as more RRT boxes find their way into the hands of backers, who will discover the game doesn't have players in their area to play against or will find out the game wasn't really what they expected when they backed it on Kickstarter.

Slight correction, wasn't what it was promised to be.

Bleh... same difference.

Before long, I expect we're going to see a sharp uptick in eBay postings for RRT miniatures, either unopened or opened and unassembled. There's been a lot of fuss and noise from Robotech fans who really don't seem to appreciate the serious investment of time and energy that it takes to get into the tabletop gaming hobby, and I think a lot of those folks will end up reselling. (Though please do note that this is not something specific to RRT, this happens a fair bit in every tabletop game... whether the RRT game's limited backer base and even more limited target audience can sustain it afterwards is another matter entirely.)
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Marcus
Explorer

Unread post by Marcus »

Larry A wrote:
Seto Kaiba wrote:Really, it was inevitable... you'll see more as more RRT boxes find their way into the hands of backers, who will discover the game doesn't have players in their area to play against or will find out the game wasn't really what they expected when they backed it on Kickstarter.

Slight correction, wasn't what it was promised to be.

Bit of info: Lack of players in my local area and a bit beyond will stem directly from the decisions made in the spring by Palladium during the preproduction process. This was when the FLGS stores locally that had planned on clearing shelf space for RRT for a big buy in decided to go with waiting and seeing if anyone would play the game. Buzz went from happily simmering to flat-line, mainly from the Spartan meltdown, but the death stroke was the final Veritech parts breakdown. Support from FLGS = increased level of playerbase. No support (i.e. product on shelf) by FLGS = virtually no playerbase.

Really? Stores wanted to clear shelf spage for a big buy in for a new table top game with only two factions? Are they new to this?
Dear optimists, pessimists, and realists,
While you were all arguing over the glass of water, I just drank it.

Sincerely,
an opportunist.

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™”