Opinion so far....

For all talk related to Robotech RPG Tactics™. A strategic, tactical board game brought to you by Palladium Books®, Ninja Division® and Harmony Gold®

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Forar
Hero

Re: Opinion so far....

Unread post by Forar »

irashaine1972 wrote:Frankly I hope more negative nellies want to offload their Kickstarters cause I am buying. Given that in my searches I have so far only tracked down 1 and am watching another one on Ebay my guess is backers that are receiving are also keeping.

A) most people don't have boxes to keep or sell. Only a few hundred have gone out of the thousands that need to be shipped, and roughly half of those that did go out left the warehouse on Friday or so. It's way too early to judge anything based on the secondary market so far; it's currently non-existent.

B) If you live in or near Toronto, I'll be selling dozens of expansions once my crew's box pile arrives (after we make a fashionable fort out of them first).
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

Well, until things start shipping out en masse, we're going to have a problem with the matter of people having informed opinions. Hopefully by the end of the week we'll have a better sense of what's on its way, and in the next week or two enough will start arriving to see how that secondary market turns out.

I don't deal outside of Canada for now, so we're square on that. I merely mentioned it in case you were local; you don't have a Location listed so for all I knew you were down the block and I could've happily hooked you up.
Maximilian Jenius
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Maximilian Jenius »

I am more than annoyed that I backed this project and this guy got his before me, and is talking smack about critics.
Phaze
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Pirate Wisdom:
Rum is a journey, and a destination.

Unread post by Phaze »

I sincerely hope that those that are no longer interested move on to things they do enjoy. That way those of us that have a positive opinion of the game will have less dreck discussions to wade through when looking for something about the game and minis to share.

irashaine1972--- You are my hero. :-D I'm still jealous, so don't let it go to your head. :mrgreen:
I'll still enjoy watching you get blown off the table while you stare in helpless wonder at Phaze's marching legions of colored perfection. -- Godsgopher
godsgopher
Wanderer

Unread post by godsgopher »

While I feel a slight inclination to offer some kind of incrimination for not "supporting" a products development. I none the less see the wisdom in your approach. I think your right, your getting the product without the stress of "Its it here? what about Now? Now? What about now? Has it been another five minuets yet?" So I'm not going to fault you for your choice. However I do hope that if a project ever rolls around you really believe in, that you will take the risk of supporting it.

For me seeing Robotech becoming a reality and knowing I had 1/5600th+ of a hand in that is a great feeling! But this was a project I really believed in.
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

Choosing to not back KS's and expecting to just get the product at retail seems like a flawed plan. Enough people follow it, and suddenly KS's are more prone to failing to be funded, or seeing significantly less money incoming.

I'm not saying it isn't a prudent course of action. Avoid the frustration, the loss of cash for months or years at a time, but at the same time, if nobody takes that risk/plunge, then crowdfunding platforms stop being viable, which means having to go back to usual sources of capital, which means some of those products don't ever get to exist at all.

It's a double edged sword. "I'll just get it at retail" is sensible enough when the project is well funded, and certainly, $100 or $500 isn't missed when the project brought in millions, just food for thought regarding ones stance.

I'd say it seems wise not to over-commit to projects, and that this will likely be a lesson learned for many in this one in particular (with an average contribution of $270 per backer, I imagine this one represented a lot of disposable income for a lot of people), but let's keep in mind that 'taking that risk' is part of the system in general. If nobody risks, nobody gets rewarded.

I think a big part of future crowdfunding boils down to several key points;

Communicating. Not just 'weekly updates', but actual info. Quality over quantity, even. This project has a LOT of updates, but many of them say little we didn't already know, or actively create more questions than they answer.

Timeline Projection. Estimate a timeframe. Now double it. Now add another 6 months. Creators are *terrible* at estimating these things, and while "it will take 2 years" isn't as sexy as "it'll be ready in 7 months", that dose of realism may help manage expectations.

Speaking of which; Manage expectations. "IT'S THE GREATEST THING IN THE HISTORY OF MANKIND AT PENNIES ON THE DOLLAR YOU WILL ACHIEVE CLIMAX JUST BY BEING IN THE SAME ZIPCODE!" kind of talk is... often counter productive. Look, I've worked with marketers. I get that nobody sensible goes to market with "Look, yeah, so it'll be alright. Good deal at this cost, maybe a little spicy at retail." But there's selling and then there's overselling. The oft quoted "mouth watering" line alone...

Anyway, yes, caveat emptor, buyer beware, but there are a lot of things big and small that creators can do to alleviate some of the stresses they might bring upon themselves and their projects. One only need to look at projects like Xia to see that people can take bad news. There's always some jerkface that lashes out, but in a crowd of thousands there will *always* be "That Guy (or Gal)", so catering to that lowest denominator just leads to treating 90%+ of your backers like children when they don't deserve it.

Anyway, kind of got on a bit of a rant there. Long story short, crowdfunding requires crowds. It's great that some people can patiently wait for retail, but in a sense that's just riding the coattails of those that put in the money and risk to get to market in the first place. I don't personally think it's anything negative, but a lot of critique lobbed at those with concerns comes across as a very smug "haters gonna hate" attitude, when in reality it's those "haters" and their "dollars" that made it happen in the first place.

/rant
Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Unread post by Premier »

I would like to simply say that its good to hear such a positive reception for a product that did require such an incredible support and vision from some extremely valuable supporters and Backers. Such visionary support not only brought this game to reality, but such immense support also allotted for the extended development of additional Robotech units that might not have been initially available otherwise, who knows? With Every Backer's contribution, RRT is starting out the gate with a wonderful variety of units that will help RRT Gamers and Collectors have an amazing diversity in units and customizing their load outs. Thank You to EVERY Kickstarter Backer!!!
We are extremely busy shipping these out to you and I know that the awesome deals that you are getting will make those that are having to obtain theirs through the standard retail channels afterwards, very envious imho.
Last edited by Premier on Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

I got my email today and can't wait to get them!

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™”