I stumbled across this Kickstarter for Terrain

For all talk related to Robotech RPG Tactics™. A strategic, tactical board game brought to you by Palladium Books®, Ninja Division® and Harmony Gold®

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

I stumbled across this Kickstarter for Terrain

Unread post by 13eowulf »

Oderint Dum Metuant.
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Re: I stumbled across this Kickstarter for Terrain

Unread post by Jorel »

I don't like it. Looks kinda thin and I couldn't even find what it was made of. If it is plastic is could be sturdier than it looks. If it is cardstock or cardboard then it doesn't look like it will last long. Also doesn't help the case that it looks like it is up to you to paint it. I prefer the Battle Systems terrain. I also see not many people are backing this other KS and I'd guess that is why.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

For some reason when I look at it I think Halo. Although, it looks like it might be useful for a the interior of a Zentraedi ship if arranged correctly.
Maximilian Jenius
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Maximilian Jenius »

This stuff is way out of scale for the game.
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

To me, it looks very much like it was designed to work with the old Warhammer 40,000 3e/4e Cityfight rules... but, aesthetically, it looks out-of-place for any WH40K race except the Tau. Aesthetically, it's a poor fit to 40K and to Robotech, but what bothers me most is that it reminds me a lot of those horribly flimsy slot-and-tab buildings made from plastic card stock that used to be sold as low-end WH40K terrain. I'm sure the durability is better, but they look so flimsy I'd end up handling 'em with kid gloves anyway.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

Jerell wrote:For some reason when I look at it I think Halo. Although, it looks like it might be useful for a the interior of a Zentraedi ship if arranged correctly.

I have 2 sets of the Battle Systems Ship Interior Terrain on the way to double as Zentradi ship as at 28mm it is almost 5x bigger than the 6mm scale stuff. Also I'll be using it for Alien vs Predator which is 28mm. Then I have the Games & Gears Battle Boards for the 10mm city scape and I already have 40 buildings and 40 alternate tiles I can use with the 4'x6' battleboard. Even got a set of the Felt Dice trays to go with it. I know it is a bit bigger at 10mm, but the sturdiness makes it an essential piece. I can put it on a smaller table and the board can hang over the edge and still support the game.

"The Devil's among us!
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

That is why I was unimpressed with the skyway stuff. Still wondering what it is made of though

"The Devil's among us!
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

it's laser cut dense plywood, pretty durable actually, once assembled.

and i've been following the guys project for awhile.. its not really intended with 40K.. its a generic scifi 28mm/32mm project. if anything, it would work best with Infinity or similar games.*
he currently also sells 28mm western themed terrain (the "rock ridge" set) that is perfect for games like Malifuax, as well as some other generic scifi stuff.
for robotech, you'd want to look into his Federation City.. 6mm / 1/285th scale city buildings.

*that said, it would work in 40K.. just it requires playerswilling ot admitthe "skulls and rivits" aesthetic is not the only one out there. reading the black library fiction, there are a fair amount of worlds where the aesthetics are closer to what we would consider normal.. GW just chooses to use the graveyard gothic aesthetic for product identification purposes. and the walways (plus the related "metaverse towers" apartment kits) are too angualr for Tau. but they'd work great as imperial buildings in the Damocles gulf region.. in the novels, even the loyal imperial worlds there have been adopting a cleaner, less "gothic" look.. and the Tau allied worlds have gone for non-gothic buildings with a clean, smooth look.
Last edited by glitterboy2098 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

plywood makes a difference as it will be sturdier than the card in Battlesystems. The 6mm stuff looks pretty good to.

"The Devil's among us!
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

I just thought people might be interested, as well the battlesystems KS is over, this one is still ongoing, so people can still get it.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

I looked a few times. It is good of you to point out. I'm seeing so few backers that it makes me question why there isn't more.

"The Devil's among us!
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

$140 (at the tier that gets stretch goals and including international S&H) to get in on it? Nah, definitely passing. Between Dwarven Forge, Terraclips, Dropzone Commander and a variety of other odds and ends, I'm done for KS'd terrain unless what they offer really blows my socks off. And laser cut stuff like this seems to pop up pretty regularly. Neat, but assuming I didn't want to assemble/disassemble it all the time, I'm not even sure where I'd be able to store it anyway.
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

Jorel wrote:I looked a few times. It is good of you to point out. I'm seeing so few backers that it makes me question why there isn't more.

's probably because the cheap Citadel stuff is about the same price, and you can get that stuff right now.

Then again, many of the more experienced tabletop war gamers I know also have a preference for making their own custom terrain features that better fit the aesthetic of the game they're playing (be it the Lord of the Rings game, WHFB, WH40K, or Warmachine).
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™”