Robotech Tactics YF-4 preview

For all talk related to Robotech RPG Tactics™. A strategic, tactical board game brought to you by Palladium Books®, Ninja Division® and Harmony Gold®

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Robotech Tactics YF-4 preview

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/C ... 270890.jpg

Here is the preview of the YF-4... over all imo a really awesome design. Tommy and ND have really out-done them selves in making a superb design even better. Again proof that Robotech is the best Mecha anime in the world imo.
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Arnie100
Knight

Re: Robotech Tactics YF-4 preview

Unread post by Arnie100 »

Colonel Wolfe wrote:http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/Col_wolfe1865/Robotech/Robotechyf-4_zpsba270890.jpg

Here is the preview of the YF-4... over all imo a really awesome design. Tommy and ND have really out-done them selves in making a superb design even better. Again proof that Robotech is the best Mecha anime in the world imo.

Official RPG stats for this, please.
They can't see me...Right!?
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

it's about what i expected. VF-1 like transformation over all, basically still metal origami instead of the macross OSM VF-4's sliding puzzle style.

now i'm glad i ordered a set.

and is that a Alpha fighter style head?
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

Not a bad design considering the source material. It would be nice to get a lineart drawing of it.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

It really looks to combine elements of the Alpha and VF-1 the ways those nacelle pods transform into limbs, but having them outrider like that probably adds complexity since they have to move inward (now we can probably see why the YF-4 didn't make it into full production) . The Folding torso is VF-1, but I don't get why they needed to angle the cockpit in Battloid mode like that (I know some of the later Macross VFs do that, but it looks ugly IMHO giving the mecha a slight beer-belly/pregnant look as opposed to the various athletic builds we see in various Veritechs).

As for the head (@glittlerboy2098). It looks to be styled after the VF-1R (maybe w/o the side lasers, the angle may simply be blocking them) given the prevalent Macross themes in the design. Though it could be styled after the late model -6Z.

It does appear to have some similarities to TY's old gamma fighter design that was based on the YF-4/Conbat from a decade ago in transformation IMHO (anyone else think that?).
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

ShadowLogan wrote:It really looks to combine elements of the Alpha and VF-1 the ways those nacelle pods transform into limbs, but having them outrider like that probably adds complexity since they have to move inward (now we can probably see why the YF-4 didn't make it into full production) .
i had expected the thruster assembly at the back of the nacelle/armthing to swivil sideways an d become "football player" like shoulders.

The Folding torso is VF-1, but I don't get why they needed to angle the cockpit in Battloid mode like that (I know some of the later Macross VFs do that, but it looks ugly IMHO giving the mecha a slight beer-belly/pregnant look as opposed to the various athletic builds we see in various Veritechs).

i don't think it's angled normally. it looks to me like the cockpit part is pure up/down like in the VF-1.. but the 'chest' part is mounted such that it can move seperately from the cockpit part.. basically a "waist" that lets it twist it's torso, bend over, etc.

As for the head (@glittlerboy2098). It looks to be styled after the VF-1R (maybe w/o the side lasers, the angle may simply be blocking them) given the prevalent Macross themes in the design. Though it could be styled after the late model -6Z.

actually thinking it looks kind of like the -6H head.. though there are some -6Z similarities too. i think it's the fact the head is very angular and lacks obvious head lasers. it certainly isn't a VF-1 style head.

It does appear to have some similarities to TY's old gamma fighter design that was based on the YF-4/Conbat from a decade ago in transformation IMHO (anyone else think that?).

hmm..
http://shadowchroniclesrpg.wdfiles.com/ ... hterWP.gif

i can see some gross similarities, but the transformation of the gamma is rather different.. more Alpha like. could definately see the Gamma as a design successor though. (maybe what the UEEF will be driving in movie 3 of the shadow chronicles.. a non-PC fighter designed using a mix of new UEEF and old UEDF tech?)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Really looking forward to getting mine now.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Kryptt
Adventurer
Comment: Macross fan first
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

Same here. I'm looking forward to awesome robotech discussions.
Chris0013
Hero

Unread post by Chris0013 »

good line art an stats in a near future book would be nice.
I know it is a little extreme to advocate the death penalty for stupidity...but can't we just remove all the warning labels and let nature take it's course???
Sgt Anjay
Hero

Unread post by Sgt Anjay »

They do seem to have managed to give it an inter-generational feel. I dig it.
"Cuando amanece se van a inflictir, duros castigos y oscuros tormentos, a los que ni quieren ni dejan vivir" -'Posada de los Muertos'
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Oh, if only I made more to justify such a laydown of disposable income.... :-(
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

Nicely done on the VF-4.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

glitterboy2098 wrote:actually thinking it looks kind of like the -6H head.. though there are some -6Z similarities too. i think it's the fact the head is very angular and lacks obvious head lasers. it certainly isn't a VF-1 style head.

No, the closest Alpha family member is the Z, as it has that bill/beak at this angle, the H/I do not have that. Add in the fin/cannon on top, and it is closer to the Z than the H in the Alpha family.

The "puffy cheeks" is a feature that one can see in both the Alpha family, and the -1R design. Given the angle though, it is possible for the -1R type cannons to be obscured.

It is hard to tell if the top fin on the head is a cannon (like on the -1A/R) or just a fin like on some of the Alphas (I/Z) since we only have the one angle.

I bring up the -1R because they might have used the -1R to either recoup/spin-off investment in technology OR to mature technology by putting it into an existing platform. The Lineart at Rt.com (and in the Macross Saga SB) does appear to show a "stacked" look like the -4, and on the -6, though no where near as pronounced as on the -4/6 so the head might actually be a mix of -1/6 model features.

glitterboy2098 wrote:i can see some gross similarities, but the transformation of the gamma is rather different.. more Alpha like. could definately see the Gamma as a design successor though.

Which is what I was getting at. They have similar enough layouts and approaches it would make sense they (YF-4/Gamma) could be directly related. What differences there are may be from the development of technology, change in philosophy, and solutions to what ever issues plagued the YF-4 reliability (comics) that result from an update to a 30year old design.

glitterboy2098 wrote:i don't think it's angled normally. it looks to me like the cockpit part is pure up/down like in the VF-1.. but the 'chest' part is mounted such that it can move seperately from the cockpit part.. basically a "waist" that lets it twist it's torso, bend over, etc.

It is hard to tell because we have only one example of the Battloid mode. It could just be an illusion due to angle and such, but until we get more poses to work off of, I would have to say it is angled (just like on the VF-25 in Macross).

glitterboy2098 wrote:i had expected the thruster assembly at the back of the nacelle/armthing to swivil sideways an d become "football player" like shoulders.

I had expected the nacelles to be the legs entirely, with the arms stowed inline with the cockpit nose as on the VF-1 on the undercarriage. The nacelles would fold in like the arms fold out on the VF-1, the arms would also fold out as on the VF-1. Folding torso like the VF-1 also.

If I'm following this correctly the VF-X-4 transforms from Fighter Mode to Guardian to Battloid mode like so:
1. From the Nacelle outward, the assembly splits S-Foil like with both sections folding inward:
-the top section segments into propulsion (along with the wing/tail) and limb modules locking into place. Limb borrows from the AGAC or VHT-2 in folding out (VHT testbed is supposed to enter test in late 2011 by the 2E RPG) given apparent placement of the forearm shield/guns.
-the lower section pulls forward locking into the side of the nose ahead of the wing glove adopting a VF-1 placement and design
2. The mecha is now in Guardian mode, Battloid mode follows forward as on the VF-1 from this point.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Actually based on teh art Wayne showed me back in May...the head is actually a sort of VF-1 derivitive.

I am not overly fond of it but then again, i saw art instead of the model so I was teased with what looked really good versus this 3d render :lol:

This one almost looks like a VF-1/Alpha hybrid like head.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Chris0013 wrote:good line art an stats in a near future book would be nice.

Good point, are some of the unique aspects of the RT (Yf-4, experimental version of Zent. PAs, the experimental Phalanx) going to get in game stats? I would really like to see them.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Arnie100 wrote:Official RPG stats for this, please.

Agreed. I'd love to see this in the regular RPG line.
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

Even if they don't include stats for the RPG, they likely can be extrapolated from the initial conversion of the RPG to the Tactics game.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

I was hoping they could get it in the UEDF Marines book somehow since it's under development now. That way we could see it soon. But maybe it'll come later in some kind of Malcontent themed book. So maybe we will have to extrapolate after all.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Jerell wrote:I was hoping they could get it in the UEDF Marines book somehow since it's under development now. That way we could see it soon. But maybe it'll come later in some kind of Malcontent themed book. So maybe we will have to extrapolate after all.

In the latest update Kevin said that after the two Marine books the next Robotech will be The Zentraedi Protectorate Sourcebook. Since that sounds like a Macross era book it seems like a good fit for the desired mecha stats.
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Warshield73 wrote:In the latest update Kevin said that after the two Marine books the next Robotech will be The Zentraedi Protectorate Sourcebook. Since that sounds like a Macross era book it seems like a good fit for the desired mecha stats.

can u link me the update?
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

Link here.
Kevin Siembieda wrote:● New Robotech® RPG products coming in 2014. Palladium has three new Robotech® sourcebooks in development. UEEF Marines Sourcebook One, UEEF Marines Sourcebook Two and The Zentraedi Protectorate Sourcebook are all slated for release before Summer 2014. Additional Robotech® sourcebooks are on the drawing board.

● Palladium is working with Harmony Gold to expand the scope of its license to provide you with an even greater range of Robotech® products.

"The Devil's among us!
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

All before summer 2014....... :nh:
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Marines 1 will be done before summer 14....
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

Given their release schedule history, and what's still on their plate for other product lines, that seems... ambitious.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

Forar wrote:Given their release schedule history, and what's still on their plate for other product lines, that seems... ambitious.

PB has never lacked for ambition. Punctuality yes, ambition no.

If they get the three books out by the end of 2014 it will be a banner year.
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

I've been a (sometimes vocally critical) fan since the mid 90's.

Believe me, returning after a decade away to find that nothing had changed wasn't much of a surprise.

Perhaps I should've said "characteristically ambitious".

Also, sarcasm tags. Those ellipsis just aren't cuttin' it...

Damnit, there they are again!
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

Forar wrote:I've been a (sometimes vocally critical) fan since the mid 90's.

Believe me, returning after a decade away to find that nothing had changed wasn't much of a surprise.

Perhaps I should've said "characteristically ambitious".

Also, sarcasm tags. Those ellipsis just aren't cuttin' it...

Damnit, there they are again!

I have been playing PB games since 1987, original Robotech. Been playing Rifts since it was first released. I can not remember a time when there ambition did not overreach there ability to get books out.

I think anytime we discuss PB release schedule sarcasm can just be implied. :roll:
Kryptt
Adventurer
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

Warshield73 wrote:PB has never lacked for ambition. Punctuality yes, ambition no.

If they get the three books out by the end of 2014 it will be a banner year.

Your kidding right!? I don't get how a book company can't have new product every month or every other month at the very least. Please forgive my ignorance, but that seems hard to believe. Every month I get an email from black library about new books.

So RPG stats for the YF-4 aren't coming out in the next sourcebook?
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

Kryptt wrote:Your kidding right!? I don't get how a book company can't have new product every month or every other month at the very least. Please forgive my ignorance, but that seems hard to believe. Every month I get an email from black library about new books.

Not all companies are made equal.

Plus, word 'on the street' is that Kevin personally oversees a LOT of the material, has to edit, rewrite, rewrite some more, or flat out make from whole cloth a great many of their publications. I mean, hell, I look at my remaining collection and practically every book has him as the author on the spine, with a few where he shares the spot with another.

Some see this as a feature of PB's style, others see it as a sticking point. It is what it is, and after 3 decades or so, I doubt that pattern will change anytime soon.

I was a huge fan in the mid 90's to mid 00's and books taking months or years beyond their initial release date target was par for the course.

There was very little surprise when I returned to the forums earlier this year to find out that the more things change (farewell, long lost forum account), the more they stay the same.

Hell, there are a few things that were released in the last couple years that were being talked about back in the 90's. At this point I bet they have a backlog of material that's "due out soon!" they can flat out refuse all future material and still be set for decades.
Kryptt
Adventurer
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

Very interesting. Thanks Forar.

So, about the YF-4 my question still stands.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Not that anyone is aware of Kryptt. As much as many of us would like to see it.

Mnd you for me personally it's relatively irrelevant. I rewrite all the stats anyway....

\m/
Kryptt
Adventurer
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

jaymz wrote:Not that anyone is aware of Kryptt. As much as many of us would like to see it.

Mnd you for me personally it's relatively irrelevant. I rewrite all the stats anyway....

Is there a website that has fan stats like yours?
Mike1975
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mike1975 »

Stats are in the latest update
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

you mean some stats...

"The Devil's among us!
Kryptt
Adventurer
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

At this point better than no stats. :p I've got to say the cards look slick and the YF-4 in B mode looks fantastic! Makes me glad I ordered a squad. :)
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

I made sure to order a wing from my kickstarter also. Also liked the look of the VF-4 in fighter!
Kryptt
Adventurer
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

I hope its close enough to scale with the bandai vf-4 from flashback 2012. The two vf-0 I have look like they'll make a good fit as dragon fighters. For the vf-2ss I'm thinking non transformable space fighters. The gaming possibilities make me feel giddy with excitement. Heck because of RRT I haven't bought or paid much attention to GW (40k). I dropped it like a bad habit. I not saying I'm quitting 40k just taking a nice break from it for now. Thanks PB.
Protoculture

Unread post by Protoculture »

OK, images galor for YF-4 Prototype Veritech. From both OSM and Robotech sources.

Although from OSM, we only have Fighter & Gerwalk (aka Guardian) modes for VFX-4 (or YF-4 in RT):

- Fighter
http://s203.photobucket.com/user/RDF-HQ ... r.jpg.html

- Gerwalk (Guardian)
http://s203.photobucket.com/user/RDF-HQ ... k.jpg.html

From RT resources, we've the Fighter, Guardian & Battloid modes for YF-4:

- Fighter (from RT Comic miniseries by Wildstorm):
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa12 ... e.jpg.html

- All Modes (Fighter, Guardian & Battloid - from RT RPG Tactics):
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa12 ... s.jpg.html

- Battloid Mode (RT RPG Tactics):
http://s203.photobucket.com/user/RDF-HQ ... t.jpg.html
http://s203.photobucket.com/user/RDF-HQ ... d.jpg.html
Kryptt
Adventurer
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

I really like the look of the unit in B mode. I hope the mini looks just as great. Thanks for the pics.

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™”