SC-32 Roc much more capable than RPG stats imply

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

SC-32 Roc much more capable than RPG stats imply

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

The opening of SDC: Southern Cross (and Robotech) shows the Roc as part of the "reel". In the actual broadcast opening (much of which was not included in the ADV release), it shows several Rocs landing on Glorie with colonists. They do this with skid-style landing gear on rough ground (ie - not on a runway). This is shown again in The Sentinels when Shuttle 1 lands at The Robotech Repair Factory. This means it can generate its own gravity (and, again, this is shown in The Sentinels when General Hunter and his officers are seated at the table in one of the officer cabins). Thus, the Roc has full solar-system transit capability. The reaction engines may only carry enough SLMH reaction mass for 2 hours of operation, but the shuttle itself can (and is shown to) travel great distances. In fact, the opening reel combined with the landing on Glorie (a landing devoid of ANY of the capital ships) means the Roc should be FTL-capable.

Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross - Original Japanese Broadcast Material
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Re: SC-32 Roc much more capable than RPG stats imply

Unread post by Jefffar »

I don't think the absence of capital ships in the landing frame proves they weren't in use. We know the inhabitants of Glorie had access to capital ships, so it is logical to assume they are up in orbit, out of frame.

It does show us the Roc has some kind of vertical landing capability (thruster or anti-gravity based) and is capable of controlled descent without using its wings to generate lift.

Given the relatively small size of the Roc for the needs of a fledging colony, this also implies the ability to return to orbit, at least unloaded, as multiple trips would be needed and it would be some time before proper launch facilities could be erected.

So the Roc is at least capable of autonomous transatmoapheric operations and probably a bit more. I don't think we have evidence of tranaplanetary or FTL capabilities though.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: SC-32 Roc much more capable than RPG stats imply

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Just because the officers are seated at a table in space doesn't mean they have artificial gravity. Now if they are shown walking around, that I can agree would show they are in an ArG (IIRC we do see this level of tech on the shuttles). ArG though doesn't necessarily mean anything when it comes to range, it just means the crew doesn't have to contend with the pitfalls of living in microgravity.

What the craft's capabilities ARE in the OSM does not necessarily mean it translates over to Robotech. In the OSM the Garfish, Ikazuchi aren't FTL-capable, but in Robotech they are for example. Is SDF:M's energy conversion armor part of Robotech? (I don't think it is AFAIK). The Invid Sensor Nebula is just a gas cloud/nebula in the OSM.

Its been awhile, but are the Roc's part of the destoryed task force the Master's survey 20ly from Earth in TMS that shows TRM-era Terran ships? If they are, that would indicate that the Roc or a variant/relative is FTL capable in RT more than the OSM since what the OSM depicts could be taken to be something else in RT due to context.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”