A Final Weekend of Robotech

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

DocTom
Megaversal® Ambassador

A Final Weekend of Robotech

Unread post by DocTom »

This is the final weekend of Robotech sales by Palladium Books. This happened once before. My first ever RPG book was Invid Invasion, so I have been a Palladium fan for a great many years. Do any of you remember when Palladium lost the Robotech license last time? Was it 1998? We're these forums even around back then?
tobefrnk
Adventurer

Re: A Final Weekend of Robotech

Unread post by tobefrnk »

The forums where still available after the first loss of license.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

it was about 99 or so yeah. The last thing they produced iirc was the revised Return of the Masters book with an extra 30 pages or so in it including new mecha.

Considering the name of the forum still includes Macross II I would imagine the forum won't go anywhere.

If it DOES, PM me. I can give a couple of options for Robotech discussions elsewhere.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
DocTom
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by DocTom »

It took me a long time to realize there was a longer verision of Return of the Masters. That was one of my favorite Robotech Books.
Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Jack Burton »

How long was the license lost back then and why was it lost? Does anyone know?
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

4-5 years
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
DocTom
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by DocTom »

I believe the first license expired after 20 years and there was not much interest in Robotech at the time. There were not even DVDs for Robotech at the time.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

DocTom wrote:I believe the first license expired after 20 years and there was not much interest in Robotech at the time. There were not even DVDs for Robotech at the time.

And the licensed comic lines were all over the place story- and quality-wise. They'd gone from the grittiness that was Malcontent Uprisings to the horror that was Robotech: Mordecai.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

taalismn wrote:
DocTom wrote:I believe the first license expired after 20 years and there was not much interest in Robotech at the time. There were not even DVDs for Robotech at the time.

And the licensed comic lines were all over the place story- and quality-wise. They'd gone from the grittiness that was Malcontent Uprisings to the horror that was Robotech: Mordecai.

and HG at that point were still in their 'rubberstamping" period where as long as it was vaguely connected, they were allowing it.

note that this lack of any attempt to curate their own setting was part of the reason there was such a big backlash when HG finally got around to clearing house of the old stuff, creating an actual canon policy, and rebooting the comic spinoffs to fit into a coherent setting. they basically invalidated over a decade of fan group think based off the novels and comics as much if not more than the show, which till that point was the closest you had to 'canon'.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

R.I.P. Lobotech... may Tommy Yung (sp?) take a dip in raw lye and shampooo with hydrofluroric-acid.
https://youtu.be/X3EA2cXhA_M
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

DhAkael wrote:R.I.P. Lobotech... may Tommy Yung (sp?) take a dip in raw lye and shampooo with hydrofluroric-acid.

Come now DhAk, how do you REALLY feel? :lol:

\m/
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

jaymz wrote:
DhAkael wrote:R.I.P. Lobotech... may Tommy Yung (sp?) take a dip in raw lye and shampooo with hydrofluroric-acid.

Come now DhAk, how do you REALLY feel? :lol:

Much as I hate having the possibility of Robotech (tm) RPG going to some hack-job corporate monster like Bastiches of the Coast or *shudder* an 'Indie' company... I am actually happy that in just a couple of years time, we might actually get some PROPER Macross anime from over the pond (legal stuff too; not the "perfectly legitimate DVD's" you have to order from... 'places')/ I'm not saying we will... but who knows *shrug*

I'll just be happy to see HG choke on it.

Pity that Palladium (and all the backers for RT:T) and the people who enjoyed the RPG have to take the short end. :(

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Well...DhAk, it won't stop me from enjoying Robotech or Macross regardless. :)

You are welcome to join me in enjoying despite the folly and such

\m/

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”