Question from someone who played ages ago

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Shinagamei
D-Bee
Comment: Got into wargaming and realized how much more enjoyable it and rpgs are to video games all over again.

Question from someone who played ages ago

Unread post by Shinagamei »

As the title states, I played last around 95, I still have my Robotech book, along with my copy of Ninjas and Superspies and a Rifts Conversion book, I guess I got nostalgia seeming them while throwing stuff away and here I am. My question mainly is does the shadow chronicles have the newer veritechs and the beta from the SDF-3 era or will I need to get one of the sourcebooks? If so which one? I'd like to buy them all eventually but just to start out, thanks in advance
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: Question from someone who played ages ago

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Yes. Those are in the shadow chronicles main book. The stats are a bit changed though.. Some weapons changes to better match the show, and a bit of power boost to bring it in line with PB's other MDC settings.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Shinagamei
D-Bee
Comment: Got into wargaming and realized how much more enjoyable it and rpgs are to video games all over again.

glitterboy2098 wrote:Yes. Those are in the shadow chronicles main book. The stats are a bit changed though.. Some weapons changes to better match the show, and a bit of power boost to bring it in line with PB's other MDC settings.

Well hearing I only need the main book is great, now I just have to choose which sourcebook to pick up with it. Thanks for helping so quick
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

right now it basically boils down to "what time period do you want to do?"

Macross Saga = mainbook + Macross Saga Sourcebook
Southern Cross = mainbook + Masters Saga Sourcebook
New Generation = Mainbook + New Generation Sourcebook
Sentinels = Mainbook + UEEF Marines.

and Genesis Pits has stuff for both New Generation and Sentinels periods.

now obviously the more of these sourcebooks you have, the more options you have.. The Macross Saga sourcebook can be used to give Southern Cross era characters additional mecha options, or zentreadi to fight for example (or UEDF gear to equip human renegades)
while the new generation era would benefit from having the macross Saga and Masters Saga books when it comes to giving resistance groups a wider range of salvaged/preserved equipment. likewise the Sentinels era would include some gear from them (the UEEF using some of the ASC mecha for example, and themasters and zentreadi still being found i nthe masters empire in some areas, etc.)
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

I like to suggest getting the Marine Book with your Shadow Chronicles hardback. It will give your campaign the ability to have both navy and marine unit.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

Shinagamei
D-Bee

I got the core book and new generation since it seems to have frankenmecha rules, the marines and masters books will probably be next, even if I don't get to play it will be nice to have them just in case
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

Nice to see another old fan coming back into the game.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Lt Gargoyle wrote:I like to suggest getting the Marine Book with your Shadow Chronicles hardback. It will give your campaign the ability to have both navy and marine unit.

just don't take the timeline section of UEEF marines seriously.. it is all sorts of a messed up. it has events that go contrary to Hg's canon for the setting, due evidently to some research failures on the writer's part, and a lot of stuff happens in the wrong time, again contrary to HG's own canon.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Shinagamei
D-Bee

RockJock wrote:Nice to see another old fan coming back into the game.

Yea got both books yesterday, interesting read, wish I had got the hardcover instead of the manga size main rulebook, but after I get the others I'll just pick that up so it can sit with all my 40k codexes on the shelf
Shinagamei
D-Bee

glitterboy2098 wrote:
Lt Gargoyle wrote:I like to suggest getting the Marine Book with your Shadow Chronicles hardback. It will give your campaign the ability to have both navy and marine unit.

just don't take the timeline section of UEEF marines seriously.. it is all sorts of a messed up. it has events that go contrary to Hg's canon for the setting, due evidently to some research failures on the writer's part, and a lot of stuff happens in the wrong time, again contrary to HG's own canon.

Yea, I will try not to take the timeline too seriously, even if it was originally spot on I've learned the power of retcon to established canon many times over now from other games
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The legios sized synchro-cannon augmentation packs that were featured in the battle around the space station in the SSL arc in the SC movie are not in the books yet.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:The legios sized synchro-cannon augmentation packs that were featured in the battle around the space station in the SSL arc in the SC movie are not in the books yet.

pg 187 of the manga size, or pg131-132 of the deluxe hardback. under the "Synchro Cannons" section
the Beta's cannon pack has the same damage and range as the hover platform cannon model seen in the show (stats for that are also provided), while the large ship mounted versions are also covered (they have a far longer range)

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Shinagamei
D-Bee

glitterboy2098 wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:The legios sized synchro-cannon augmentation packs that were featured in the battle around the space station in the SSL arc in the SC movie are not in the books yet.

pg 187 of the manga size, or pg131-132 of the deluxe hardback. under the "Synchro Cannons" section
the Beta's cannon pack has the same damage and range as the hover platform cannon model seen in the show (stats for that are also provided), while the large ship mounted versions are also covered (they have a far longer range)

Cool, I also noticed compared to my book from 1996 they changed durability considerably, maybe it's to show the change in time but it makes me want the macross book next
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

My quick assessment:

Shadow Chronicles, New Generation, Marines, Genesis Pits - are really Robotech 1.5. It's an update of the original rules, making some minor changes, and correcting some game mechanic flaws and erroneous concepts. MDC values on cyclones dropped, durability (flight time), has also dropped as well.

Macross and Masters are a cleaner 2.0 version of the rules. Except Macross Character Generation, they utilize the same OCC's as Shadow Chronicles, except some minor updates to MOS's. The Mecha, timeline, and everything else about the book got into more detail. There are some tweaks that I would make (specifically with the Zentraedi's Micronized form)

Masters has a completely overhauled OCC/MOS system and is by far more comprehensive. They made the Master's series more accurate to the show and production designs.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”