Harmony Gold license to expire 2021

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Steve Dubya
Hero
Comment: Disingenuous mountebanks and their subliminal chicanery! A pox on them! - Homer Simpson

Harmony Gold license to expire 2021

Unread post by Steve Dubya »

Regarding the recent legal kerfluffle between Tatsunoko Productions and Harmony Gold, it sounds like HG's rights to Robotech expire on March 14, 2021.

Given the fact that Harmony Gold filed in the first place (and was awarded ~$850K), I'm thinking that Tatsunoko aren't going to be super open to renegotiating the license.
"Things aren't what they used to be" is the rallying cry of small minds. When men say things used to be better, they invariably mean they were better for them, because they were young, and had all their hopes intact. The world is bound to look a darker place as you slide into the grave.
Best Served Cold, Joe Abercrombie
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Harmony Gold license to expire 2021

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Gee, maybe PB would then be able to negotiate for a liscense from Tatsunoko to continue to produce RT RPG and Tactics AND be able to have free reign like they used to with RT 1E.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The problem with that zk is that; the way I understand it; the Robotech brand is HG's IP. So PB can't license with anyone else about Robotech.

More likely is that PB could make RPGs from the content that is Tatsunoko's IP.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

even then as I understand it, its more complicated than that.

there are 41 "characters" from Macross all the VF-Valkyries, the destroids, the characters that in robotech became, rick, roy, max, myria, lisa, captain gloval, Claudia, the SDF-1 etc, that have been ruled (in japan) to be exclusive property of big west.
so Tatsunoko doesn't own them, and legally could not license them to HG,

so in effect, to Legally do a new "robotech, vs Macross" project Palladium, would have to license the robotech name from Harmony Gold (usa) the 41 images from Big west, and whatever Tatsunoko owns from them.

of course Harmony gold still claims they have copyright for the 41 characters in the US.
but my understanding on the law suit between Tatsunoko and Harmony gold was that it started because Tatsunoko thought Harmony gold was shorting them on their royalties, so they sued Harmony Gold, then it went to arbitration (as previously agreed in their contracts) where the fact that Tatsunoko does not in fact own the 41, and Harmony gold Acknowledged that they knew that was the case as of 2003 (when Tatsunoko lost their case big time in japan vs Big west) and but harmony gold and Tatsunoko extended the distribution and royalties contract with harmony gold.

so yes if Tatsunoko chooses not to extend the IP lease then harmony gold looses everything macross related on march 14 2021.

where it gets complicated is harmony gold is pursuing an action against some other companies CGL, HBS, and others, claiming copyright infringement on some of the "41" characters they don't actually own (because Tatsunoko was not legally able to lease those rights to HG (usa) )
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Unread post by Riftmaker »

I think it would be easier to just license macross for an rpg then robotech once this hits.

I dont want to fan the flames of the old debate but robotech has had more failed relaunches and sequels then any other franchise I know of. Lets just agree Robotech had its moment in time, and let if fade fondly. These is a future in Macross not Robotech.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Riftmaker wrote:I think it would be easier to just license macross for an rpg then robotech once this hits.

I don't want to fan the flames of the old debate but robotech has had more failed relaunches and sequels then any other franchise I know of. Lets just agree Robotech had its moment in time, and let if fade fondly. These is a future in Macross not Robotech.

All of this might of been why HG wanted to do the RT Academy. So they could own all the original IP that went with it.

Even though they did do The Shadow Chronicles. That didn't introduce many 'new' characters. Most of what was new was new ships.
The Sentinels intro'ed new chars too…but most of that story-arc is 'old char' centric.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Riftmaker wrote:I think it would be easier to just license macross for an rpg then robotech once this hits.

I dont want to fan the flames of the old debate but robotech has had more failed relaunches and sequels then any other franchise I know of. Lets just agree Robotech had its moment in time, and let if fade fondly. These is a future in Macross not Robotech.

Macross Delta is hardly a future....
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Riftmaker
Adventurer

taalismn wrote:

Robotech has had what 2/3 spin offs that actually saw completion in 30+ years how many has macross had?
camk4evr
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by camk4evr »

Riftmaker wrote:
taalismn wrote:

Robotech has had what 2/3 spin offs that actually saw completion in 30+ years how many has macross had?

Not including manga and video games, Macross 1 prequel, 5 sequels with another coming out next year, 1 alternate universe sequel, and 5 movies (4 of which are alternate universe retellings of the series that they are connected to) with another coming out next year (I believe)

Edit:
Sorry, I made a mistake. There are actually 6 Macross movies
Last edited by camk4evr on Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May contain peanuts
-warning I saw on a pack of Peanut Butter M&Ms
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Riftmaker wrote:
taalismn wrote:

Depends what you consider completion for Robotech and when one considers it to reach "worth actually counting" stage, but:
Robotech: The Movie (aka The Untold Story). Completed, bombed in test screening and never released in theatres. IINM it was released in some markets on VHS
Robotech: The Sentinels (RT:II). Projected was geared toward 65episode run, all we got was an OVA of the first 3episodes mashed together.
Robotech: Odyssey (RT:III). Project planned as followup to RTII (and owing to Shadow Chronicles likely not to happen)
Robotech: 3000. Canceled during pre-Production.
Robotech: Shadow Chronicles OVA. OVA was part of a mulit-part instalment or flagship to launch a new series putting that in the Sentinels category.
Robotech: Live Action Movie (been waiting how long now for it and gone through how many re-writes/staff shakeups and rights owners)
Robotech: Love, Live, Alive OVA. Basically recycling the GCM:LLA OVA and inserting new footage.
Robotech: Academy. Kickstarter failed, indications are the project was shelved.

2-3 is a bit low, optimistically you are looking at 4 out of 8 by the list above.
Riftmaker
Adventurer

ShadowLogan wrote:
Riftmaker wrote:
taalismn wrote:

Depends what you consider completion for Robotech and when one considers it to reach "worth actually counting" stage, but:
Robotech: The Movie (aka The Untold Story). Completed, bombed in test screening and never released in theatres. IINM it was released in some markets on VHS
Robotech: The Sentinels (RT:II). Projected was geared toward 65episode run, all we got was an OVA of the first 3episodes mashed together.
Robotech: Odyssey (RT:III). Project planned as followup to RTII (and owing to Shadow Chronicles likely not to happen)
Robotech: Shadow Chronicles OVA. OVA was part of a mulit-part instalment or flagship to launch a new series putting that in the Sentinels category.
Robotech: Live Action Movie (been waiting how long now for it and gone through how many re-writes/staff shakeups and rights owners)
Robotech: Love, Live, Alive OVA. Basically recycling the GCM:LLA OVA and inserting new footage.

2-3 is a bit low, optimistically you are looking at 4 out of 8 by the list above.

So most of the release robotech followups are released bits of failed starts on bigger projects. Fails all around if you ask me.

I say again. Robotech has its moment in the sun and its time has passed. Macross has a future.
camk4evr
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by camk4evr »

ShadowLogan wrote:

2-4 depending on how you look at it. By contrast Macross has had:
Macross: Do You Remember Love?
Macross: Flashback 2012
Macross II: Lovers Again
Macross 7 (and it's special episodes that I didn't mention previously which I lump in together with the series but that's just personal opinion on my part)
Macross Plus
Macross Zero
Macross 7 Dynamite
Macross Plus: The Movie
Macross 7 The Movie: The Galaxy's Calling Out to Me (I think I got that right. It was a double feature with the Macross Plus movie)
Macross Frontier
Macross Fufonia (a flash animation series recasting teh characters of Macross Frontier as office workers that I didn't mention previously because I forgot about it)
Macross Frontier the Movie 1: The False Songstress/Diva (I've seen it translated as both)
Macross Frontier the Movie 2: The Wings of Good-bye
Macross FB7
Macross Delta

And, in developement:
Macross Delta Movie
Unamed Macross TV series

There was a failed live action Hollywood movie from the 80's, as well, that never went beyond teh early script/treatment phase.

That's a total of 13 completed spinoffs/sequels not including manga, video games, Macross the Ride, and pachinko mashines
May contain peanuts
-warning I saw on a pack of Peanut Butter M&Ms
mech798
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by mech798 »

And more importantly, when we talk about the IP that HG can actually use without fear, how many movies/series, etc, have been done for Southern Cross and New Generation? The Japanese source series were largely failures.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

So Macross then. Heck maybe if R. Talsorian has lost rights to Gundam they could pick that up too. Heh, start becoming the preeminent licensed Anime RPG producer!
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Lord Malachdrim
Wanderer

Unread post by Lord Malachdrim »

Maybe they could license Heavy Gear from Dream Pod 9 as soon as the current license expires since Arkrite hasn't done anything with it. And I know it's been years but Palladium has worked with DP9 in the past (Macross II: Deck Plans Volumes 1 - 3).
Never let the facts get in the way of a good grudge.
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

Robotech could survive perfectly fine without SDF Macross if Harmony Gold actually tried. Southern Cross, MOSPEADA, The Sentinels and the myriad of secondary canon sources over the years that added more mecha legally to the franchise would be enough to pursue a rebooted Robotech....
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

Rabid Southern Cross Fan wrote:Robotech could survive perfectly fine without SDF Macross if Harmony Gold actually tried. Southern Cross, MOSPEADA, The Sentinels and the myriad of secondary canon sources over the years that added more mecha legally to the franchise would be enough to pursue a rebooted Robotech....

but that would require them to actually "gasp" spend money on it rather than just milking it which by all indications HG has no real interest in doing. mostly because they are primarily a real estate company, rather than a gaming or media company.
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

I personally think it would be a good thing for HG to lose the Macross license, If they want to move forward with Robotech as a whole then its time for them to lose the biggest problem holding them back.

They Still have so much potential if they get good writers and put some actual effort into the show.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Lt Gargoyle wrote:I personally think it would be a good thing for HG to lose the Macross license, If they want to move forward with Robotech as a whole then its time for them to lose the biggest problem holding them back.

They Still have so much potential if they get good writers and put some actual effort into the show.

OR seeing as how they really don't have staff setup for that anymore maybe, maybe they should license it out to a company who would run with it. Maybe NETFLIX or whoever Netflix uses.
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Lt Gargoyle wrote:I personally think it would be a good thing for HG to lose the Macross license, If they want to move forward with Robotech as a whole then its time for them to lose the biggest problem holding them back.

OR seeing as how they really don't have staff setup for that anymore maybe, maybe they should license it out to a company who would run with it. Maybe NETFLIX or whoever Netflix uses.

Netflix might be a great one to work with. This would be a better way to do it. Plus they would have the ability to get to a greater fan base and develop a bigger one. but that would require them to work with them and let them run with it.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Lt Gargoyle wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

Netflix might be a great one to work with. This would be a better way to do it. Plus they would have the ability to get to a greater fan base and develop a bigger one. but that would require them to work with them and let them run with it.

:eek: WOW. That manages to be both funny and sad... :lol: :cry: :lol: :cry:

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”