UEDF Marines for the 1st Robotech War

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

wildhood
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Pickup my 1st Palladium RPG Book back in 1990.

UEDF Marines for the 1st Robotech War

Unread post by wildhood »

When I first hear about the Robotech UEEF Marine source book coming out, thought if could use/convert the OCCs in this book to use for the first Robotech War specially after the Zentraedi fleet was destroyed. I was thinking of doing a game UEDF Marines/Ground forces fighting Micronized Zentraedi. This game would have no Mecha it be more a infantry fighting.
Last edited by wildhood on Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don t beleive I m using my XBOX One to post on here.
Undisiplined Veritech Pilots don t pilot Veritechs they pilot Verideck.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Re: UEDF Marines for the 1st Robotech War

Unread post by Jefffar »

They are certainly usable for such, only a few skills would need to be changed out (pretty much the same as the guidelines for changing Shadow Chronicles era OCCs to Macross Era ones).

Equipment is slightly trickier as a lot of things in that book were either not available until later in the period, or available only as field test units or in small batches (with production reserved for the soon to depart off world missions).

Still, it could be doable. The M-25 or M-30 would likely be the primary weapon of the infantry. RL-1 being replaced with the RL-2. If you want a Powered Armour, the fully lethal version of the Unicorn was supposedly available during this era. Probably carrying a gun pod similar to that used by the Baslisk.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Arnie100
Knight

Unread post by Arnie100 »

Marines are mentioned in The Macross Saga sourcebook. VF-1 Valkyries and destroids would be primary mecha, etc. The old Strike Force sourcebook would be very useful.
They can't see me...Right!?
Peacebringer
Adventurer

Unread post by Peacebringer »

I sometimes have thought of running a pre-Robotech Global civil-war game in which the characters are fighting as infantry with no mecha.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i don't give them their own OCC's, i just use the standard ones. however since they are a ground focused group, not space focused, i have them replace the space focused OCC skills (zero g combat and boarding spaceships) with wilderness survival and detect ambush, which felt like more "marine" type skills.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
wildhood
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Pickup my 1st Palladium RPG Book back in 1990.

Unread post by wildhood »

One my ideas with the Mecha Piloting skills in the Marine Infantry OCC turn to Piloting skills to Ground or Watercraft. For the MOS no STORM Team Basic Training. The Boarding Spaceships skills change that one to Detect Ambushs like someone said up top there.

The thing about want I was thinking is doing a SDC game action in MDC world.
I don t beleive I m using my XBOX One to post on here.
Undisiplined Veritech Pilots don t pilot Veritechs they pilot Verideck.
FelixGungrave
D-Bee

Unread post by FelixGungrave »

This is the first time I've replied to something on these forums. But I recently picked up the Marines Sourcebook recently after a period of time of ignoring it due to the problems in it already expressed in other posts and I had no real interest in playing or GMing marines. I'm glad I did though, especially for the OCCs and aliens. I just taped over the parts that didn't click with me.

I've only used it for my campaigns for a short a period of time but this is what I've found and done with the OCCs.

I think they work great in the 1st Robotech War. Especially, at least for me, the Mechanzied OCC makes a much better Destroid pilot than the original Ace OCC. I just removed the MOS for mecha that aren't part of that time period, to be added later as the campaign progresses. For a pure SDC game I'd do like others said just switch out the mecha skills for more conventional like Helicopter or gunboat.

Another thing I did to utilized the Marine OCCs was to allow the players to exchange one MOS for a civilian occupational class. This worked by allowing them to choose a civilian class from Macross sourcebook and they would receive the occupational skills but not the elective and secondary skills. I also restricted the skill bonuses to those of the characters OCC related bonuses and a penalty if a skill normally couldn't be taken by that OCC. I think this works for a more anime feel game; ie. a pop idol becoming a fighter pilot, but may not work for a purely military game. In that case I'd add more military MOSs maybe based off those in the Master's Sourcebook.
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

You could use any OCC from the Macross Era, with the understand Mecha is back ordered and the PCs are low priority to get new mecha.

The Other choice is to design a couple of MOS's for your game and let the players chose them. those i do like the civilian aspect that was mentioned since i could see the military drafting conscripting civilian survivors.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

"Today, gentlemen, we will teach you how to face a full-sized Zentraedi with nothing but your bare hands and your teeth!"
"...if he's already got my hands and my teeth, why should I be giving him anything else of mine?"
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Lt Gargoyle
Champion

taalismn wrote:"Today, gentlemen, we will teach you how to face a full-sized Zentraedi with nothing but your bare hands and your teeth!"
"...if he's already got my hands and my teeth, why should I be giving him anything else of mine?"

you do not have to engage every enemy in the world. Infact sometimes its better to gather the intel needed and then withdrawal from the area. Not every game requires Zentraedi. there are so many adventure idea you can follow up with after the rain of death.

taalismn
Priest

Lt Gargoyle wrote:
taalismn wrote:"Today, gentlemen, we will teach you how to face a full-sized Zentraedi with nothing but your bare hands and your teeth!"

you do not have to engage every enemy in the world. Infact sometimes its better to gather the intel needed and then withdrawal from the area. Not every game requires Zentraedi. there are so many adventure idea you can follow up with after the rain of death.

Well, yes, but these are MARINES. Somebody's inevitably going to wonder aloud if it's possible to go hand to hand with a full-sized Zent, just because the guy(or lady) who pulls it off is going to have boasting privileges for LIFE.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Lt Gargoyle wrote:you do not have to engage every enemy in the world. Infact sometimes its better to gather the intel needed and then withdrawal from the area. Not every game requires Zentraedi. there are so many adventure idea you can follow up with after the rain of death.

You should look at the actual USMC Force Reconnaissance Unit. This is what they do. Also, I use the EBSIS, warlords, and other human threats. The old Robotech books like RDF manual, New World Order, and Strike Team have a lot of good ideas about these people and non mecha military gear for them to use.

taalismn wrote:
Lt Gargoyle wrote:

Well, yes, but these are MARINES. Somebody's inevitably going to wonder aloud if it's possible to go hand to hand with a full-sized Zent, just because the guy(or lady) who pulls it off is going to have boasting privileges for LIFE.

Yes, this sounds like a few Marines I have met.

Correction, it sounds like EVERY Marine I have ever met.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Lt Gargoyle
Champion

Warshield73 wrote:
Lt Gargoyle wrote:you do not have to engage every enemy in the world. Infact sometimes its better to gather the intel needed and then withdrawal from the area. Not every game requires Zentraedi. there are so many adventure idea you can follow up with after the rain of death.

You should look at the actual USMC Force Reconnaissance Unit. This is what they do. Also, I use the EBSIS, warlords, and other human threats. The old Robotech books like RDF manual, New World Order, and Strike Team have a lot of good ideas about these people and non mecha military gear for them to use.

Using real life experiences is great for comparison, however when using sci fi such as this, there are somethings you can no longer use. Now can these marines use traps explosives and rocket launchers? yes. can they make great role play? yes.

Warshield73 wrote:
taalismn wrote:
Lt Gargoyle wrote:

[/quote]

No human marine is going to be able to take a full size Zentraedi in hand to hand. They can wonder if its possible. but even if you switched to SDC rules, the human will be dead.

taalismn
Priest

Lt Gargoyle wrote:[
No human marine is going to be able to take a full size Zentraedi in hand to hand. They can wonder if its possible. but even if you switched to SDC rules, the human will be dead.

"I STAB HIM REPEATEDLY IN THE EARDRUM!!!"
"Nope, not happening. He swabs you for critical damage. You get ear-waxed. Enjoy your footnote in Corps history, next to the guy who thought it would be a bright idea to attack his Zent in the crotch."

Navy Corpman: (looking at flattened streak of what was once a marine) "...gonna need more than ace bandages and inflatable casts for this one.."(starts unpacking his med bag)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Lt Gargoyle
Champion

taalismn wrote:
Lt Gargoyle wrote:[

"I STAB HIM REPEATEDLY IN THE EARDRUM!!!"
"Nope, not happening. He swabs you for critical damage. You get ear-waxed. Enjoy your footnote in Corps history, next to the guy who thought it would be a bright idea to attack his Zent in the crotch."

Navy Corpman: (looking at flattened streak of what was once a marine) "...gonna need more than ace bandages and inflatable casts for this one.."(starts unpacking his med bag)

:lol:

taalismn
Priest

Note that the corpman is unpacking his medkit, and not a bodybag...whether this is a testament to the durability(perceived or actual) of marines, or rather of the determination and self-confidence of navy corpmen, I leave to you to decide.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
rem1093
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by rem1093 »

Warshield73 wrote:

taalismn wrote:
Lt Gargoyle wrote:

The first time a Marine sees the Tomahawks live fire test. "That's nice and all, with its big guns. But what if I have to go hand to hand?"
"You don't, that would be really dumb. What nut job would want to go all kung fu, with a 50 plus foot tall mecha?" A tech said, going over the reading as the Tomahawk fires it partial beams. He then looked up from the screen to see the five marines in the room staring at him. A month later..
" I would like to introduce our newest design, the Spartan."
taalismn
Priest

rem1093 wrote:[

The first time a Marine sees the Tomahawks live fire test. "That's nice and all, with its big guns. But what if I have to go hand to hand?"
"You don't, that would be really dumb. What nut job would want to go all kung fu, with a 50 plus foot tall mecha?" A tech said, going over the reading as the Tomahawk fires it partial beams. He then looked up from the screen to see the five marines in the room staring at him. A month later..
" I would like to introduce our newest design, the Spartan."

...and the first fine hand movement they master on the new destroid is how to raise the middle finger....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i begin to see why the Cyclone exists...
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
taalismn
Priest

glitterboy2098 wrote:i begin to see why the Cyclone exists...

"Yes, we want something that will allow a downed Marine aviator to be able to run up a Zentraedi's leg and punch him in the face hard enough to knock him in his ass."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

The marine at the eardrum needs to use a satchel charge in the ear....
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Kurseteller
D-Bee

Unread post by Kurseteller »

RockJock wrote:The marine at the eardrum needs to use a satchel charge in the ear....

Yup. If you can kill a Titan, from "attack on Titan" anime, with a sword and grappling gear, then you can do it with satchel charges and grenades. Hell, look at the first Transformer Movie final battle for ideas!!

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”