Is Space Station Liberty "the" Robotech Factory?

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Bamse
D-Bee
Comment: Once upon a time I started writing "Insurrection". No, it's not likely to be completed... still...

Is Space Station Liberty "the" Robotech Factory?

Unread post by Bamse »

Well? Is Space Station Liberty the factory captured by Breetai, baby Dana and company, the "Repair" factory from Sentinels or a third factory?
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Re: Is Space Station Liberty "the" Robotech Factory?

Unread post by Tiree »

I say third factory!
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

Bamse wrote:Well? Is Space Station Liberty the factory captured by Breetai, baby Dana and company, the "Repair" factory from Sentinels or a third factory?

Officially, The Art of Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles retconned Space Station Liberty into being the second factory satellite... though it's pretty obvious that was something they came up with well after the fact, given that the station's exterior was built to be a giant UEEF symbol in space and the interior design is identical to the human-built Moon Base ALuCE.

The factory satellite from Robotech II: the Sentinels is supposed to be the same one from the Macross Saga... albeit with a new design for that series due to copyright issues, as their license agreement with Tatsunoko doesn't permit them to use the designs of the original Macross series in anything except merchandise. I don't believe they've ever said what happened to that installation in Robotech, though.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

in my opinion, SSL was the 2nd factory satellite. earth had.. it was just the first they built. using the first satellite's resources (and perhaps some parts) to build their own factory sat designed from the start to support human forces.

considering the captured factory sat needed a lot of refit to bring it's mecha lines back online, much less to convert over to human designs, it would probably have made a lot more sense to just build one from scratch to human requirements. would certainly explain why SSL is so much smaller than even the smallest estimates of the zent factory sat size (much less the absurdly massive direction the macross continuity went with)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Seto Kaiba wrote:
Bamse wrote:Well? Is Space Station Liberty the factory captured by Breetai, baby Dana and company, the "Repair" factory from Sentinels or a third factory?

Officially, The Art of Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles retconned Space Station Liberty into being the second factory satellite... though it's pretty obvious that was something they came up with well after the fact, given that the station's exterior was built to be a giant UEEF symbol in space and the interior design is identical to the human-built Moon Base ALuCE.

The factory satellite from Robotech II: the Sentinels is supposed to be the same one from the Macross Saga... albeit with a new design for that series due to copyright issues, as their license agreement with Tatsunoko doesn't permit them to use the designs of the original Macross series in anything except merchandise. I don't believe they've ever said what happened to that installation in Robotech, though.

Well the Factory Satellites (at least in RT) might be more modular than we think, allowing them to shed unnecessary sections or even use those removed sections as a "base" for a new facility. That at least would explain the size issue, the external cosmetic issue I've got nothing that makes sense (aside from UEEF wanting to waste millions of man hours to "beautify" the place) though internally we are looking at the facility some 30years later leaving plenty of time for interior work to happen in sections featured (after 2years Breetai's flagship DID have human scale facilities installed for living space).
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

glitterboy2098 wrote:in my opinion, SSL was the 2nd factory satellite. earth had.. it was just the first they built. using the first satellite's resources (and perhaps some parts) to build their own factory sat designed from the start to support human forces.

Considering there was enough of a resource crunch on that the UEDF couldn't even acquire the same grade of equipment being given to the UEEF, it seems unlikely that humanity would have the resources to spare to build their own factory satellite. It's also not workable from an official perspective, since AotSC indicates the UEEF's factory satellites were all nicked from the Tirolians.

glitterboy2098 wrote:would certainly explain why SSL is so much smaller than even the smallest estimates of the zent factory sat size (much less the absurdly massive direction the macross continuity went with)

Really, I'd say Liberty Station's size is one of the best indicators that it isn't really a factory satellite at all... the factory satellite in the series was huge by necessity. It was, after all, the logistical backbone of a fleet of millions of warships and billions of soldiers. It was like the old River Rouge Ford plant, going all the way from raw material to finished product in a single facility, and a storage facility for finished product on top of that.

(The size given in Macross may, if anything, be slightly too small... in the series it's shown to be parked at Earth-Moon L5, and we see that it's visible to the unassisted eye from Earth's surface.)

ShadowLogan wrote:Well the Factory Satellites (at least in RT) might be more modular than we think, allowing them to shed unnecessary sections or even use those removed sections as a "base" for a new facility. That at least would explain the size issue, the external cosmetic issue I've got nothing that makes sense (aside from UEEF wanting to waste millions of man hours to "beautify" the place) though internally we are looking at the facility some 30years later leaving plenty of time for interior work to happen in sections featured (after 2years Breetai's flagship DID have human scale facilities installed for living space).

The idea that Liberty Station is a factory satellite just doesn't fit... aesthetically it's obviously a human-built structure. The sheer investment of time and manpower necessary to totally remodel something that size would be as bad or worse than simply building a new one from scratch... and there was supposed to be more than one war on at the time.

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Unread post by Riftmaker »

Seto Kaiba wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:in my opinion, SSL was the 2nd factory satellite. earth had.. it was just the first they built. using the first satellite's resources (and perhaps some parts) to build their own factory sat designed from the start to support human forces.

Considering there was enough of a resource crunch on that the UEDF couldn't even acquire the same grade of equipment being given to the UEEF, it seems unlikely that humanity would have the resources to spare to build their own factory satellite. It's also not workable from an official perspective, since AotSC indicates the UEEF's factory satellites were all nicked from the Tirolians.

glitterboy2098 wrote:would certainly explain why SSL is so much smaller than even the smallest estimates of the zent factory sat size (much less the absurdly massive direction the macross continuity went with)

Really, I'd say Liberty Station's size is one of the best indicators that it isn't really a factory satellite at all... the factory satellite in the series was huge by necessity. It was, after all, the logistical backbone of a fleet of millions of warships and billions of soldiers. It was like the old River Rouge Ford plant, going all the way from raw material to finished product in a single facility, and a storage facility for finished product on top of that.

(The size given in Macross may, if anything, be slightly too small... in the series it's shown to be parked at Earth-Moon L5, and we see that it's visible to the unassisted eye from Earth's surface.)

ShadowLogan wrote:Well the Factory Satellites (at least in RT) might be more modular than we think, allowing them to shed unnecessary sections or even use those removed sections as a "base" for a new facility. That at least would explain the size issue, the external cosmetic issue I've got nothing that makes sense (aside from UEEF wanting to waste millions of man hours to "beautify" the place) though internally we are looking at the facility some 30years later leaving plenty of time for interior work to happen in sections featured (after 2years Breetai's flagship DID have human scale facilities installed for living space).

The idea that Liberty Station is a factory satellite just doesn't fit... aesthetically it's obviously a human-built structure. The sheer investment of time and manpower necessary to totally remodel something that size would be as bad or worse than simply building a new one from scratch... and there was supposed to be more than one war on at the time.

Yea but if harmony gold didnt have the rights to the old design you kind of need to give them a pass.
Seto Kaiba
Knight

Riftmaker wrote:Yea but if harmony gold didnt have the rights to the old design you kind of need to give them a pass.

Oh, I do... for the factory satellite in Robotech II: the Sentinels.

The design of Space Station Liberty in Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles, however, makes it extremely implausible that it's really a factory satellite appropriated from the Tirolians... between the internal structure matching that of Moon Base ALuCE and the fact that it's a giant bloody UEEF roundel in space, it's very obviously human-made.

ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Seto wrote:Considering there was enough of a resource crunch on that the UEDF couldn't even acquire the same grade of equipment being given to the UEEF, it seems unlikely that humanity would have the resources to spare to build their own factory satellite. It's also not workable from an official perspective, since AotSC indicates the UEEF's factory satellites were all nicked from the Tirolians.

At the individual level maybe, but there is evidence to support the idea that the UEEF and UEDF shared space/star-ship designs (Tok in series, Tri-star is mentioned in Infopedia entry) and potentially several smaller scale designs.

Not to mention it doesn't exactly make much sense. We have a resource crunch, but we have the resources to se tup and support two (nearly) completely separate space capable militaries? If there really was a crunch you'd expect to see both forces to have a high degree of overlap.

Seto wrote:The idea that Liberty Station is a factory satellite just doesn't fit... aesthetically it's obviously a human-built structure. The sheer investment of time and manpower necessary to totally remodel something that size would be as bad or worse than simply building a new one from scratch... and there was supposed to be more than one war on at the time.

I agree that SSL is not a complete factory satellite, or the RFS of 2013. However, if we suppose that the RFS is modular, and that the UEEF separated one of the smaller secondary pods as the basis of SSL it might still qualify as an RFS in origin. And be much easier to retrofit aesthetically, at least if we are forced into the SSL = RFS identity.

Riftmaker wrote:
Yea but if harmony gold didnt have the rights to the old design you kind of need to give them a pass.

I don't see why. Nothing required them to use an RFS facility as the identity of SSL. They could have easily used or derived based on NG designs (or even a TRM designs).
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

Seto Kaiba wrote:

The factory was sent back to Earth but was destroyed by the Regis upon her arrival in Earth Space, so Space Station Liberty is new one.
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Grand Theft Factory Satellite...what Robotech Terrans seem best at.

"We may not be able to do much else right, but you don't dare leave your Factory Satellites anywhere we can get at them!" :bandit:
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
keir451
Champion

Unread post by keir451 »

taalismn wrote:Grand Theft Factory Satellite...what Robotech Terrans seem best at.

"We may not be able to do much else right, but you don't dare leave your Factory Satellites anywhere we can get at them!" :bandit:

Hey, coopting someone else's tech is our bread and butter!
SRoss
Knight

Unread post by SRoss »

New from Rockstar Games...

GTFS 5

Now in Ultra High Def.
taalismn
Priest

SRoss wrote:New from Rockstar Games...

GTFS 5

Now in Ultra High Def.

Choice of first person shooter, or strategic multiplayer.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
keir451
Champion

Unread post by keir451 »

taalismn wrote:

GTFS 5

Now in Ultra High Def.

Extra points for running people over with a Cyclone, or destroying some place with a VT.
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

keir451 wrote:
taalismn wrote:

GTFS 5

Now in Ultra High Def.

Extra points for running people over with a Cyclone, or destroying some place with a VT.

Not to mention gunning people down with a Gallant H-90.....
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

ShadowLogan wrote:At the individual level maybe, but there is evidence to support the idea that the UEEF and UEDF shared space/star-ship designs (Tok in series, Tri-star is mentioned in Infopedia entry) and potentially several smaller scale designs.

Well, they certainly shared plenty of mecha and ground vehicles no matter which source you claim as "canon" (Tv series, proposed Sentinels series, comics/novels or RPG).....
taalismn
Priest

BookWyrm wrote:[

And the NWSF version, you get bonus points for scoring with alien women in skintight outfits on the side....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
keir451
Champion

Unread post by keir451 »

taalismn wrote:
BookWyrm wrote:[

And the NWSF version, you get bonus points for scoring with alien women in skintight outfits on the side....

Triple points for knocking up Quadrano leaders, too! :lol:
taalismn
Priest

keir451 wrote:[
Triple points for knocking up Quadrano leaders, too! :lol:

Violent video games...corrupting and desensitizing the youth of post-Rain of Death Earth since 2011...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”