Invid PC questions

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Dakchronos
Wanderer

Invid PC questions

Unread post by Dakchronos »

Is there a source for how many protoculture cannisters are used for the Commander and Overlord? I can't seem to find it in my copy of shadow cronicles. I'm hoping I'm just blind.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Invid PC questions

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The Invid don't use PC canisters.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Dakchronos wrote:Is there a source for how many protoculture cannisters are used for the Commander and Overlord? I can't seem to find it in my copy of shadow cronicles. I'm hoping I'm just blind.

No there isn't. For simplicity one should just assume it is similar to comparable UEEF mecha (likely the Beta).

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:The Invid don't use PC canisters.

Actually we do not know much about Invid mecha other than they run on Protoculture and the Invid themselves have stockpiles of PC canisters (I can name 3 episodes).

Now weather those PC canister stockpiles can be used directly by Invid Mecha (ala Cyclone or Alpha for ex) or need to have their contents transferred (like SLMH) is more of a GM's call.
Dakchronos
Wanderer

Thank you guys for the replies. I thought there wasn't much on the Invid mecha. (Let alone the shadow saga in general) Hopefuly in a future source book, the Invid races and their mecha can be clarified.
Sparticus
Wanderer

Unread post by Sparticus »

Actually they do. The shadow Chronicles core rulebook makes reference to them and states that the Invid's PC canisters and the UEEF’s PC canisters are interchangeable. It’s in the Alpha Fighter’s entry under fuel capacity. As for how many Invid Mecha can take I would say for the most parts its unimportant save for the Command Battloid and the Overlord. In those cases, I would say the fuel capacity and duration would be the same as the Alpha Fighter.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

sparticus has it right there. though i'd suggest the Command battloid uses 16 like the alpha (which it does seem to be loosely based on visually), while the Overlord should be using the same number as the Beta, given it's larger size and power. (and the fact the overlord is clearly based on the Beta)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Rephrasing…
The specs for Invid mechs do not list them to be using fuel canisters.

I think it is because the SC stats were written before they concidered the Invid as PCs angle. So 'why list the fuel stats of NPC mecha?'
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

Rephrasing…

I think it is because the SC stats were written before they concidered the Invid as PCs angle. So 'why list the fuel stats of NPC mecha?'

so players can salvage fuel from downed enemies? there was a short comic from Antarctic press, "unsung heroes", where a group of resistance fighters during the new gen period did just that.. luring invid patrols using an alpha, then bringing them down with rockets and sniper shots to the eyes in order to salvage PC cans. (didn't turn out well for the resistance group, but that was because they failed to leave a good guard up and a 2nd larger patrol caught them flatfooted as they tried to salvage from the first patrol's remains.) the comic appeared in the Megastorm anthology graphic novel as a space filler/extra at the end.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

Rephrasing…

Yet when they do they didn't consider the Invid pilots for PCs they are going to need to refuel their mecha eventually, it isn't even considered (like has, or will need, X spare canisters of PC to refuel their mecha x-# of times for starting equipment)?

Then there is the salvage angle as glitterboy2098 said. There are reasons that PB could include certain information that would be invaluable for "salvage" purposes not just here, but elsewhere with SLMH fuel and such.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Yep all good points for if they were printed up in the New Gen book. But *gets out pontificating hat* 'the SC' is based off of ships and they will just get refueled from the ship's supplies. And there are just hoards and hoards of invid…no need to weight down the game with logistics details.* ;) :D

Yah, they were not being advertent in their thinking, and didn't plan for the long term possible stoylines. Maybe petition PB & HG to make that detail included in the next RT book? But don't hold your breath I don't expect the next RT book out for quite a while, and PB does not like putting out errata that corrects "minor" detail corrections.
Dakchronos
Wanderer

Let alone the repairs for Invid mecha. You'd have to go to an Invid brain or scientist for something that's bio-mechanical like that. It's a lot of hurt for the rogue Prince/Princess. I don't see the REF getting far in the repairs if they were to accept the aid of a rogue invid.
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

I went with the following:

1x Invid Soldier
2x Scout
4x Trooper
6x Pincer
8x RCB
10x Overlord

I also made them more efficient at using the fuel. So if the book was a standard month, the Invid lasted twice as long.

Then I had a system of rolling percentile, to figure out how much fuel was left per vehicle. Which made it interesting when they downed a scout, was able to retrieve one cell. But it only had 16% of it's power left.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

honestly, tiree i'd go with:

1x soldier
4x Scout, Trooper (and variants. booster scouts have 8 in their booster, seperate from their normal stuf)
8x Pincer
16x RCB
32x Overlord

this can seem a bit much for the relative performance of the mecha vs human ones.. but since the invid also eat protoculture to survive, i'd just say the larger amounts are also doubling as lifesupport supply (for the regular invid) and field rations (for the simulgents)

though i would argue that it being mixed with the fluid cockpit stuff makes it unusable for fuel, so siphoning off the cockpit areas is not a viable way to refuel earth mecha. :)

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

glitterboy2098 wrote:honestly, tiree i'd go with:

1x soldier
4x Scout, Trooper (and variants. booster scouts have 8 in their booster, separate from their normal stuf)
8x Pincer
16x RCB
32x Overlord

this can seem a bit much for the relative performance of the mecha vs human ones.. but since the invid also eat protoculture to survive, i'd just say the larger amounts are also doubling as life-support supply (for the regular invid) and field rations (for the simulagents)

though i would argue that it being mixed with the fluid cockpit stuff makes it unusable for fuel, so siphoning off the cockpit areas is not a viable way to refuel earth mecha. :)

I understand what you are saying. I used the lower number to keep the players scavenging for more fuel as well. I also toyed with one shot kills (Eye Shots) destroying the PCells as well, making the players work to get their fuel by disabling the Invid.

As for the fluid in the cockpit, I never bought that as a foodstuff. But more of a Brine/Bath that kept their bodies moist aka life support/atmosphere. But I always pictured that the Invid Mecha had a need for less, and were much more efficient in the use of the PCell. Therefore, keep it at a minimum.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

My thoughs on how many can.s that take to recharge them. I'm using the ed 2 names where possible.
1x Soldier
1x Assault Speeder✦
2x Ogre*
2x Scout
3x Trooper
4x Scout Fighter
6x scout/soldier space booster
6x Shocktrooper
6x Ranger*
8x Assault Trooper*
8x Enforcer
10x Fury*
16x Commander
28x Overlord

Inorganics* would use 2 or 4 each depending on size.

* indicate those Invid mecha that are found in the Marines book.
✦ indicate a mecha found in the 1st ed Sentinels book. ( http://www.kent.net/robotech/vehicles/i ... peeder.gif )

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”