Praxian War Mounts

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Sparticus
Wanderer

Praxian War Mounts

Unread post by Sparticus »

So I was just thinking in the original Sentinel RPG the Praxians had this robot Pegasus thing that the REF built for them. This made me think of something similar only using some of the designs from Rifts for the updated states and potential look as well as adding actual mounts from there homeworld. I was going to use both the Griffin and Pegasus from the Conversion Book 1 but am wondering should I make these animals SDC or MDC. I intend to have the Praxians use barding made of the same material as their armors and have vibro like weaponry equipped to the mounts (wing blades for both and vibro-claws for the Griffins).
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Re: Praxian War Mounts

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

Actually, there is really no reason for the Praxians to not already have the robot horse mecha for their cavalry forces. They are an advanced culture anyway (they can produce armor & weapons on par with the Zentraedi/UEF). I'd just remove the recce drone part and use the E-102 Taka Falcon Drone from Southern Cross preproduction (since a good deal of The Sentinels used those concepts anyway).
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Well if the Genesis Pit SB (and even examples in 1E) are anything to go by it could go either way in terms of are any native mounts SDC/HP or MDC creatures. Barding of course can go either way, if the Praxians have MDC weapons then they should have MDC armor and might even explain why they have MDC technology in the first place if they have to deal with MDC creatures..

If a Griffon or Pegasus creature exists on Praxis, it likely doesn't not have the ability to fly (at least w/o technology or magic IMHO). As RSCF said, the Praxians do posses technology.
Sparticus
Wanderer

Unread post by Sparticus »

Rabid Southern Cross Fan wrote:Actually, there is really no reason for the Praxians to not already have the robot horse mecha for their cavalry forces. They are an advanced culture anyway (they can produce armor & weapons on par with the Zentraedi/UEF). I'd just remove the recce drone part and use the E-102 Taka Falcon Drone from Southern Cross preproduction (since a good deal of The Sentinels used those concepts anyway).

Make no mistake the robot mount is still in this just with a new look and updated states. Thanks for the robo-bird idea though so going to use that. The flesh and blood mounts just represent what they used before and that some of the more traditional warriors continue to use. It adds a kind of depth and shows some of the culture these warrior women have. I am doing other things to expand upon them this is just one aspect.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Rabid Southern Cross Fan wrote:Actually, there is really no reason for the Praxians to not already have the robot horse mecha for their cavalry forces. They are an advanced culture anyway (they can produce armor & weapons on par with the Zentraedi/UEF). I'd just remove the recce drone part and use the E-102 Taka Falcon Drone from Southern Cross preproduction (since a good deal of The Sentinels used those concepts anyway).

fair enough, though personally i find the idea that they'd use that advanced technology to let them cosplay at pre-medieval warfare kinda laughable.

if their tech is really that advanced, they should be making their own tanks, fighter jets, rifles, etc. something closer to the Solnoids of Gallforce, to be honest. i mean, why build an overly complex robot-horse to ride around for transport, when a motorcycle is much simpler and works just as well for that?

something like the bird drone might be rationalized if it was designed to have fake feathers and skin to resemble a living bird.. that would be a viable spy/recon tool. a purely mechanical one though is iffy since you'd get a more effective operation out of a helicopter or airplane type drone.

i know that the praxians of the old sentinels stuff had all those robot-animals and techno-hoplite stuff.. but it never made any sense there either. though at least it had the justification that the praxians were not exactly an advanced technology society, and the UEEF designed all their tech for them to be more familiar to them.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

What tech do they have? Armor is probably MDC solely based on materials. All their other tech like the insemination machine was left for them by "ancients".
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
cobra73
D-Bee

Unread post by cobra73 »

well the main problem with natural mounts is the fact that their planet gets destroyed during the sentinels.
and even then we know little of their fauna (a sourcebook would help). Natural mounts would have to come from other planets or "engineered"?
As for artificial mounts, maybe include a larger, better armored horse or even dragon like robots. Maybe include carriage or boat like vehicles.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

cobra73 wrote:well the main problem with natural mounts is the fact that their planet gets destroyed during the sentinels.
and even then we know little of their fauna (a sourcebook would help). Natural mounts would have to come from other planets or "engineered"?
As for artificial mounts, maybe include a larger, better armored horse or even dragon like robots. Maybe include carriage or boat like vehicles.

Maybe not. HG has said after the 2001 reboot that while Sentinels happened, only broad strokes still apply so it is possible that Praxis wasn't destroyed as it was in previous versions of the Sentinels.

Sentinel lineart (pre-production variety) exists for variant robot horses and chariots like those found in the Sentinels 1E RPG. They can be found among the Legacy Extras DVDs, and I don't know if more recent DVD/Blue-Ray releases still have them or what they might be called.
Protoculture

Unread post by Protoculture »

This is where I turned to Rifts for Praxian war mounts. While SDC: Southern Cross has had several pre-production arts of robotic horses with armed chariots (a spillover of SDC SC origin from a space age Sengoku war drama) in which evolved into the Praxian robo-horse with chariot to be used in Robotech II: The Sentinels, the idea of robotic horses for the Praxian warriors have not been fleshed out.

I'd agree by the advent of Robotechnology (when UEEFers discovered Praxis) would make Praxians embraced the Terran VR-series Cyclone's technology (esp VR-038 Bartley model) and spelled certain death of Praxian's own indigenous robosteeds with chariots.

OTOH, having Praxians as a distinct culture with feudalistic space age medieval culture, it was fun to create world building for Praxians prior to the Sentinels' conflict. This is where Rifts came in. I found myself kept referencing the Shemarrians and their respective mechs for the purpose of padding and creating fillers for Praxians war machine.
Protoculture

Unread post by Protoculture »

glitterboy2098 wrote:fair enough, though personally i find the idea that they'd use that advanced technology to let them cosplay at pre-medieval warfare kinda laughable.

I can't really stomach that Praxians is being shown as sort of space age Grecian Amazonians with hoplites and such. OTOH, re-imagined them as sort of space age medieval culture seems have more merit.

if their tech is really that advanced, they should be making their own tanks, fighter jets, rifles, etc. something closer to the Solnoids of Gallforce, to be honest. i mean, why build an overly complex robot-horse to ride around for transport, when a motorcycle is much simpler and works just as well for that?

Well, we didn't have any reference materials to turn to to flesh out Praxians' culture and technology. What I did was simply ported the Solnoids from Gallforce as Praxians ancestor, who suffered a climactic holocaust after no holds barred confrontation with Paranoids with Praxis remained a shadow of its former self. Any first contact with other civilizations are outlawed, space exploration and other forms of advanced technology regressed and lost during the Dark Ages following the fallout of the devastating Solnoids vs Paranoids conflict.
dataweaver
Adventurer

Unread post by dataweaver »

glitterboy2098 wrote:fair enough, though personally i find the idea that they'd use that advanced technology to let them cosplay at pre-medieval warfare kinda laughable.

While you're at it, you might as well have the UEEF cease production of those overly complex veritechs and destroids, and go for much more reliable tanks and jets instead. :P

Seriously, though: I like the notion of the Praxians as robot masters. A cyclone? That's fine, as long as it has a rider. No rider, and it's about as effective as a lump of metal. But a robot horse? That can do things, even when its rider is disabled or otherwise occupied. And it's not just horses, either: a Praxian hunter likely has a recon falcon and a pack of mechanical wolves at her beck and call.

It's no more silly than Karbarran Sekiton-based Steampunk.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”