How do you aply crew(s)?

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

gadfly69
D-Bee

How do you aply crew(s)?

Unread post by gadfly69 »

Example: The HWR-02-Mk. VII Monster has a crew of 3.
So the question is, how do you apply the use of a crew?
Are the other intended to be NPCs and otherwise assumed to be there in name only, or is there a combining of overlapping skills (Combined HTH bonuses)?
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Re: How do you aply crew(s)?

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

gadfly69 wrote:Example: The HWR-02-Mk. VII Monster has a crew of 3.
Are the other intended to be NPCs and otherwise assumed to be there in name only, or is there a combining of overlapping skills (Combined HTH bonuses)?

Y'know, it's weird, but I'm not finding anything on vehicles with multi-person crews in the RTSC core rulebook.

The way I've always handled it is that, if you have multiple characters piling into a mecha that has multiple crew positions, then the mecha uses the bonuses from the person whose crew position is relevant to the action the mecha's taking. So, for instance, on the HWR-00-Mk.II Monster, I'd have any pilot or hand-to-hand rolls made using the driver's profile, shooting attacks with the profile for whoever's sitting in the gunner's seat, and perception rolls and so on using the profile of the guy in the commander's seat. On rare occasions when I've GM'd, I've imposed a penalty against those rolls if it's a player-character in the vehicle with an NPC, to reflect either a lack of trust of unfamiliarity among the crew (and the moments of hesitation that accompany it).

Mercifully, there are relatively few mecha in the game with a second crewman, let alone a third, which dramatically simplifies the matter.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

I only allow the pilot to receive the bonuses for METC skills because that person is the one in control of the vehicle at the time. Everybody else would have to work some other system, be it a turreted gun, missiles, jamming pod, work the radar, or radios. But yeah, a mecha with a crew of three would have an enormous amount of attacks compared to a mecha with only a single pilot. Basically the pilot can focus on defensive systems and keeping the bot out of physical danger (dodging, rolling, etc...) while the gunner is returning fire and the commander ensuring the data links are effective, jamming enemy radar and comms, and/or communicating on the radio. From the outside, the mecha would look like it had auto dodge since it is defending and attacking simultaneously.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

Kagashi wrote:I only allow the pilot to receive the bonuses for METC skills because that person is the one in control of the vehicle at the time. Everybody else would have to work some other system, be it a turreted gun, missiles, jamming pod, work the radar, or radios. But yeah, a mecha with a crew of three would have an enormous amount of attacks compared to a mecha with only a single pilot.

That's one thing I've always been torn on... how to make attack distribution "fair" in a mecha with multiple crew. I've gone back and forth between using the highest number of attacks possessed by a member of the crew, and taking the average and rounding to the nearest whole number.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Pouncer
Explorer

Unread post by Pouncer »

Having long used crews in the Armored Alpha/Legios (Alpha/Beta combo) and some of the Sentinel's destroids back in the day I'll throw in my 2 bits.

These rules apply only to mecha where MECT matters, starships with their larger, more spread out crews don't work quite the same.

First, both or all crew have to have the MECT for the unit to operate at full efficiency. The MECT includes the special training for communicating efficiently and working/anticipating the other crew actions to not be surprised by a sudden move that takes your target out of your crosshairs, the recoil of the big guns throwing you off balance as you make a turn, etc...

If one of the crew is lacking MECT then some simple rule of thumb mods might be -1 attack (each crew member), -2 on to hits, -10% on skill checks as the trained crew try to make up for the actions of the less/untrained crew in times of stress (combat, difficult manuvers, etc.). Maybe not so much when just "out for a Sunday stroll," but definitely when the situation matters.

If none of the crew have MECT, may your GM be merciful when the stuff hits the fan.

Second, the advantage gained from multiple crew are that you get all the actions of each trained member to work with, the disadvantage is each crew member is limited by their role in the mecha and may have to delay actions to work together better as a team (have their Inits closer to make it easier to play in game). Example: We would regularly play with the linked Alpha and Beta, the usual crew roles would be the Beta pilot working as pilot (being limited to the Beta's dodge bonuses and such anyways) and the Alpha pilot serving as gunner. Only the Beta pilot could control where the fighter was going and handle dodging while only the Alpha pilot would select, target and fire the weapons. Roles could be switched, of course, but that could require using actions to switch as the crew adjusted roles.

Each crew member still uses their own bonuses (even if NPC) and actions for the actions they're using and the role their playing. Example: Dave uses his dodge bonuses as he's the one driving, Joan uses her attack bonuses because she's firing the guns.

In the Monster you could go with the Pilot and Gunner roles as I've stated above and the Commander role being lots of sensor actions and actions to assist the other crew members.

Hopefully this helps.

-POUNCER-
gadfly69
D-Bee

Unread post by gadfly69 »

Thank you all, that gives me good and solid ways to limit arguments, and people hoping for "Christmas".
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

gadfly69 wrote:Example: The HWR-02-Mk. VII Monster has a crew of 3.

I think this has only come up once or twice in a campaign. We had the PC direct the NPC crew member (who was really a secondary PC for that player). This drastically changed the combat equation as the mecha became a lot harder to hit with missiles.

Each crew's actions are done independently of the others, though crew station dictates what they can do. So bonuses are not combined between crew members, though pilot actions can effect gunners (ex. Tilt Dodge or Evasive Action penalties for strike apply to all, this was 1E RT/Mac2 not 2E RT).

Crew members though can be PC or NPC. If NPC they can be controlled either by the GM or the Player. I tend to prefer letting the player do it to reflect coordination of the crew. PCs obviously can take their own actions available if part of a PC crew (if a mix of PCs and NPCs then I might keep the NPCs under GM control).
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Pretty similar to Shadowlogan, each crew member gets only one job to do and can use his attacks and bonuses normally at that position. The actions of one crew member can impact the ability of the others to perform their tasks.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

I've had two two-man crews in VF-1's within my PbP games, and despite what the books say the Tomahawks, and Spartans have a second seat for a gunner/observer in my games.

Anyhow I made two new MECT skills for non-pilot characters such as destroid gunners, backseaters in aircraft/veritechs and crewmen on shuttles/spacecraft. MECT: Weapon Systems Operator for mecha/shuttle/spacecraft gunners and the backseaters in strike mecha/aircraft. MECT Electronic Warfare Operator is specifically for VEF-1's and defensive systems operators on shuttles/spacecraft.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
Pouncer
Explorer

Unread post by Pouncer »

jedi078 wrote:I've had two two-man crews in VF-1's within my PbP games, and despite what the books say the Tomahawks, and Spartans have a second seat for a gunner/observer in my games.

Anyhow I made two new MECT skills for non-pilot characters such as destroid gunners, backseaters in aircraft/veritechs and crewmen on shuttles/spacecraft. MECT: Weapon Systems Operator for mecha/shuttle/spacecraft gunners and the backseaters in strike mecha/aircraft. MECT Electronic Warfare Operator is specifically for VEF-1's and defensive systems operators on shuttles/spacecraft.

Specialized "backseater" MECTs would certainly make sense for those mecha that require multiple crew.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”