SDF-3

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

NEO Ness
D-Bee

SDF-3

Unread post by NEO Ness »

I haven't had a chance to look at the new Marines book myself (it's still in the mail), but does anyone know if it has the SDF-3 in it? I'm really wanting to do a Sentinels series correctly, and I don't want to reverse engineer the SDF-4's stats for the SDF-3.

If not, does anyone know where I can get those stats? Were they in the original Sentinels series? Palladium should really do a book about ships, we could use stats on the Icarus and the SDF-3 (both original and new versions).
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Re: SDF-3

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

NEO Ness wrote:If not, does anyone know where I can get those stats? Were they in the original Sentinels series? Palladium should really do a book about ships, we could use stats on the Icarus and the SDF-3 (both original and new versions).

The ships book was canned ages ago... IINM, Palladium hasn't announced any plans to revive the project.

Stats for the post-retrofit Shimakaze-class (the Icarus) are in the Genesis Pits sourcebook, and the only difference between the pre- and post-retrofit versions is the synchro cannon that replaced the large magazine for the missile launchers and the addition of the shadow device. Other than that, the ship didn't really change.

Edit: From the list graciously provided by smkeyes, it does not appear that the SDF-3 is in the new book.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
NEO Ness
D-Bee

Seto Kaiba wrote:
NEO Ness wrote:If not, does anyone know where I can get those stats? Were they in the original Sentinels series? Palladium should really do a book about ships, we could use stats on the Icarus and the SDF-3 (both original and new versions).

The ships book was canned ages ago... IINM, Palladium hasn't announced any plans to revive the project.

Stats for the post-retrofit Shimakaze-class (the Icarus) are in the Genesis Pits sourcebook, and the only difference between the pre- and post-retrofit versions is the synchro cannon that replaced the large magazine for the missile launchers and the addition of the shadow device. Other than that, the ship didn't really change.

Edit: From the list graciously provided by smkeyes, it does not appear that the SDF-3 is in the new book.

I see. So you recommend I use the Shimakaze class ship for the SDF-3? I kinda feel like the SDF-3 would be a bit bigger in scale and power.

(Also, are you the owner of Macross2.net?!)

EDIT:
Seto Kaiba wrote:Stats for the post-retrofit Shimakaze-class (the Icarus) are in the Genesis Pits sourcebook, and the only difference between the pre- and post-retrofit versions is the synchro cannon that replaced the large magazine for the missile launchers and the addition of the shadow device. Other than that, the ship didn't really change.

I'm sorry, I meant to say Ark Angel.
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

NEO Ness wrote:I see. So you recommend I use the Shimakaze class ship for the SDF-3? I kinda feel like the SDF-3 would be a bit bigger in scale and power.

Goodness no... the Icarus is a Shimakaze-class ship, so the stats there are pretty much the stats for the Icarus[/i as it appears in the movie. Take out the synchro cannon and shadow device, beef up the missile launcher ammo, and you've got yourself stats for the pre-retrofit version of the [i]Icarus that appeared in the first issue of the Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles comic (which had a huge magazine for the missile launchers where the synchro cannon is on the movie version).

My recommended starting point for the SDF-3 would be the SDF-4 stats (also found in Genesis Pits. Just lose those secondary super-laser guns and you're 99% of the way there, IMO.

NEO Ness wrote:(Also, are you the owner of Macross2.net?!)

Yes and no.

I'm the Macross Mecha Manual's web admin, resident translator/researcher, and book importer. The project's creator, author, and artist is my friend Mr March from MacrossWorld.

NEO Ness wrote:I'm sorry, I meant to say Ark Angel.

Oh, the Ark Angel? I'd say you could probably get away with using the SDF-4 stats there too... same as with the SDF-3 above. They have similar sizes and almost certainly similar troop complements, so you just need to get rid of the weapons systems which obviously aren't present (the SDF-4's secondary super-laser guns) or weren't installed at the time the Ark Angel was launched (the synchro cannon).

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
NEO Ness
D-Bee

Seto Kaiba wrote:
NEO Ness wrote:I see. So you recommend I use the Shimakaze class ship for the SDF-3? I kinda feel like the SDF-3 would be a bit bigger in scale and power.

Goodness no... the Icarus is a Shimakaze-class ship, so the stats there are pretty much the stats for the Icarus[/i as it appears in the movie. Take out the synchro cannon and shadow device, beef up the missile launcher ammo, and you've got yourself stats for the pre-retrofit version of the [i]Icarus that appeared in the first issue of the Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles comic (which had a huge magazine for the missile launchers where the synchro cannon is on the movie version).

My recommended starting point for the SDF-3 would be the SDF-4 stats (also found in Genesis Pits. Just lose those secondary super-laser guns and you're 99% of the way there, IMO.

NEO Ness wrote:(Also, are you the owner of Macross2.net?!)

Yes and no.

I'm the Macross Mecha Manual's web admin, resident translator/researcher, and book importer. The project's creator, author, and artist is my friend Mr March from MacrossWorld.

I'm sorry, I meant to say Ark Angel not Icarus (get them mixed up all the time).

And holy crap, I use Macross2.net all the damn time! It's like my go-to for Mecha information and pictures for my RP sessions. Thank you so much for that website! :)

EDIT: Yeah, I was guessing I'd have to do something with the SDF-4. Thanks for the insight, didn't even think about the secondary lasers.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

NEO Ness wrote:I haven't had a chance to look at the new Marines book myself (it's still in the mail), but does anyone know if it has the SDF-3 in it? I'm really wanting to do a Sentinels series correctly, and I don't want to reverse engineer the SDF-4's stats for the SDF-3.

If not, does anyone know where I can get those stats? Were they in the original Sentinels series? Palladium should really do a book about ships, we could use stats on the Icarus and the SDF-3 (both original and new versions).

It really depends on what you will actually need to use the SDF-3 in your game.

Art of the Shadow Chronicles (non game book) does have non-game stats, and some level of description on various attributes (complement, size, etc). So actual game stats would have to be plucked and/or derived as the case may be from existing ships for simplicity.

Alternatively the SDF-3 was originally stated out, complete with deck plans, in the First Edition run (specifically RT2: Sentinels, it has a Battler vs Oden on the cover, which is mostly light blue on the spine). It may not be a perfect fit, but depending what you actually need it might work as is, or require various levels of updating to work (though it should still be useable as-is for the most part).
NEO Ness
D-Bee

ShadowLogan wrote:Alternatively the SDF-3 was originally stated out, complete with deck plans, in the First Edition run (specifically RT2: Sentinels, it has a Battler vs Oden on the cover, which is mostly light blue on the spine). It may not be a perfect fit, but depending what you actually need it might work as is, or require various levels of updating to work (though it should still be useable as-is for the most part).

Last time I checked the books I could not find the stats for it. Only the deck plans and pictures. I will try to look again.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Ships got canned? Well damn :badbad: ....there goes my hopes of seeing the much neglected spacecraft of Southern Cross finally getting their just due... How else are they going to bring them and the rest of the Zentraedi fleet to the fore?
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Seto Kaiba
Knight

taalismn wrote:Ships got canned? Well damn :badbad: ....there goes my hopes of seeing the much neglected spacecraft of Southern Cross finally getting their just due... How else are they going to bring them and the rest of the Zentraedi fleet to the fore?

They cancelled the spaceships book years ago, man...

You'd think they'd have re-done the SDF-3 for the first Marines book tho, since that ship was kind of the heart of the whole Pioneer mission's operations and was the principal ship lugging ground forces to and fro until the SDF-4 came around in 2043-2044.

It was (initially) understandable that they didn't include the Ark Angel and Super Shadow Fighter, since at time of writing those were earmarked to appear in a future animated Robotech film... but eight years on, and with most folks offering no odds of us seeing new animation from Robotech after the spectacular implosion of Robotech Academy, it'd be nice to just tick those checkboxes off and have done with it already.

NEO Ness wrote:And holy crap, I use Macross2.net all the damn time! It's like my go-to for Mecha information and pictures for my RP sessions. Thank you so much for that website! :)

Keep your eyes peeled this fall... there's a BIG update coming.

ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

NEO Ness wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:Alternatively the SDF-3 was originally stated out, complete with deck plans, in the First Edition run (specifically RT2: Sentinels, it has a Battler vs Oden on the cover, which is mostly light blue on the spine). It may not be a perfect fit, but depending what you actually need it might work as is, or require various levels of updating to work (though it should still be useable as-is for the most part).

Last time I checked the books I could not find the stats for it. Only the deck plans and pictures. I will try to look again.

Are we sure? I just pulled out my copy and looked, they are there (7th Printing).
The SDF-3 runs from page 150-160 (11 pages, the last one is mostly add space for Rifts, and the 1st page has a small section to round out Janice).
Pg. 150 SDF-3 fluff text
pg. 151-2 Game stats (MDC, weapon systems in game terms, size, compliment, etc). Pg152 also starts deck plan key (ie #X = Room ABC with description text)
Pg153 is mostly deck plan key material, with a small portion devoted to deck plans (bridge tower and "arms")
Pg154-5 & 157-8 is deck plan key
Pg156 & 159-60 have deck plans (pg159 has a small amount of Key information, and pg160 is mostly add space for Rifts).
NEO Ness
D-Bee

ShadowLogan wrote:
NEO Ness wrote:

Are we sure? I just pulled out my copy and looked, they are there (7th Printing).
The SDF-3 runs from page 150-160 (11 pages, the last one is mostly add space for Rifts, and the 1st page has a small section to round out Janice).
Pg. 150 SDF-3 fluff text
pg. 151-2 Game stats (MDC, weapon systems in game terms, size, compliment, etc). Pg152 also starts deck plan key (ie #X = Room ABC with description text)
Pg153 is mostly deck plan key material, with a small portion devoted to deck plans (bridge tower and "arms")
Pg154-5 & 157-8 is deck plan key
Pg156 & 159-60 have deck plans (pg159 has a small amount of Key information, and pg160 is mostly add space for Rifts).

You're right! I totally looked RIGHT past it. It was RIGHT there! omg, sorry for the trouble guys lol.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Im not sure why Harmony Gold and Palladium have not produced either version of the SDF-3 from the new continuity for the RPG. Its quite annoying seeing the ship is the central focus of the entire series.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Arnie100
Knight

Unread post by Arnie100 »

Yup. Spaceship book was canned ages ago.
They can't see me...Right!?
Seto Kaiba
Knight

Kagashi wrote:Im not sure why Harmony Gold and Palladium have not produced either version of the SDF-3 from the new continuity for the RPG. Its quite annoying seeing the ship is the central focus of the entire series.

Might have something to do with the SDF-3's fate being up in the air for the entire Shadow Chronicles movie... and/or it might have some undisclosed capabilities that they thought would play a big role in some future title (not that those are being made).

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Kagashi wrote:Im not sure why Harmony Gold and Palladium have not produced either version of the SDF-3 from the new continuity for the RPG. Its quite annoying seeing the ship is the central focus of the entire series.

funny, i don't remember it ever appearing in Macross Saga, masters Saga, or new Generation Saga.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Arnie100
Knight

SDF-3 made only one brief appearance in The Sentinels and one shot (I think) of the SDF-3 in Shadow Chronicles.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

in terms of the expanded setting (revised sentinels and shadow chronicles added) the SDF-3 is certainly an important ship.. but i'd hardly call it central. it doesn't appear at all i nthe main show, and even i nthe sentinels it was mostly not involved in the fighting, and in shadow chronicles it's mostly used as a macguffin to reveal the haydonite duplicity and remove Rick and comapny from the storyline.. basically the SDF-3 in shadow chronicles got hit by the Worf Effect.

we've never seen the SDF-3 in action, so it being this great ships is pretty much an informed attribute. a logical one given the power of the SDF-1 and the other ships we do see though.
though i do occasionally wonder if the reason the SDF-3 got two main cannons was because without the hidden Protoculture Matrix the SDF-1 had, mainguns on such a small ship are a bit lacking in punch..
Last edited by glitterboy2098 on Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

i'd just use the SDF-3 from sentinels and tweak it as you desire.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

Seto Kaiba
Knight

glitterboy2098 wrote:we've never seen the SDF-3 in action, [...]

Actually we did, in Prelude... but only in the conclusion of the Edwards thing, where it landed troops on Optera then torched the main hive from orbit with its twin synchro cannons.

Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

glitterboy2098 wrote:funny, i don't remember it ever appearing in Macross Saga, masters Saga, or new Generation Saga.

Only mentioned at the end of The Macross Saga (characters only), during a few episodes of The Masters War (both The Narrator and characters) and The New Generation (characters only, I do believe).
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Myself; I don't care for the folding wing 'dropships' that replaced the old laser arms/carrier pods. They seemed to trust too much in localized gravitational generation for the orientation of the decks in those wings.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Rabid Southern Cross Fan wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:funny, i don't remember it ever appearing in Macross Saga, masters Saga, or new Generation Saga.

Only mentioned at the end of The Macross Saga (characters only), during a few episodes of The Masters War (both The Narrator and characters) and The New Generation (characters only, I do believe).

Right, and since 1985, when the last episode of RT aired, Rick Hunter and the SDF-3 were mysteriously lost. You hear of Hunter and the SDF-3 all throughout New Gen and smatterings in Masters, then never see it by the end when Scott leaves Earth to search for it, leaving the question, "what happened to the SDF-3?"

Sentinels tried to answer that, but is now decanonized.

Finally, in 2005, we get Shadow Chronicles where combined with Prelude, we see what happened to the SDF-3 and why it was not present in the battle of Reflex Point; but ultimately are left with the question again.

Even with tSC, humanity is still left wondering when the next Protoculture fix is going to be available. tSC ends with Earth having only one year of Protocultre remaining. Thats pretty darn central.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Arnie100
Knight

Well, herr's a nice render of the SDF-03:
http://img10.deviantart.net/964e/i/2014 ... 70qng6.png

Here's a link to the artists' Robotech gallery:
http://chiletrek.deviantart.com/gallery ... ch-Renders
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Kagashi wrote:
Rabid Southern Cross Fan wrote:

Right, and since 1985, when the last episode of RT aired, Rick Hunter and the SDF-3 were mysteriously lost. You hear of Hunter and the SDF-3 all throughout New Gen and smatterings in Masters, then never see it by the end when Scott leaves Earth to search for it, leaving the question, "what happened to the SDF-3?"

Sentinels tried to answer that, but is now decanonized.

Finally, in 2005, we get Shadow Chronicles where combined with Prelude, we see what happened to the SDF-3 and why it was not present in the battle of Reflex Point; but ultimately are left with the question again.

Even with tSC, humanity is still left wondering when the next Protoculture fix is going to be available. tSC ends with Earth having only one year of Protocultre remaining. Thats pretty darn central.

so it's always relegated to "sir not appearing in this movie" or macguffin... i'd not call that central at all.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

Kagashi wrote:
Finally, in 2005, we get Shadow Chronicles

not to nitpick to much: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443771/
Release Info- 25 August 2006
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Seto Kaiba
Knight

glitterboy2098 wrote:so it's always relegated to "sir not appearing in this movie" or macguffin... i'd not call that central at all.

Central to the ongoing plot, perhaps, though not central to the story as a whole... "macguffin" is probably the right word for it.

mech798
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by mech798 »

Seto Kaiba wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:so it's always relegated to "sir not appearing in this movie" or macguffin... i'd not call that central at all.

Central to the ongoing plot, perhaps, though not central to the story as a whole... "macguffin" is probably the right word for it.

Especially since if you find it, by and large the adventure is over at least in the current format. Shadow Chronicles is pretty much a reprise of the whole search for the SDF-1 with the REF in the place of the zentraedi, desperately trying to get their magic box back. (Have I mentioned just how wholeheartedly uninspired TSC is?)
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

mech798 wrote:
Seto Kaiba wrote:

Especially since if you find it, by and large the adventure is over at least in the current format. Shadow Chronicles is pretty much a reprise of the whole search for the SDF-1 with the REF in the place of the zentraedi, desperately trying to get their magic box back. (Have I mentioned just how wholeheartedly uninspired TSC is?)

Sadly its fully inspiring movie. :eek:

Until they do something further i have just skipped the whole Haydonite plot arc and run with the PCs in a exploration/colony fleet. And borrow stuff from other sources to act as alien civilizations.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

Seto Kaiba
Knight

mech798 wrote:Especially since if you find it, by and large the adventure is over at least in the current format. Shadow Chronicles is pretty much a reprise of the whole search for the SDF-1 with the REF in the place of the zentraedi, desperately trying to get their magic box back. (Have I mentioned just how wholeheartedly uninspired TSC is?)

Prelude actually kind of hangs a lampshade on that one too, when you think about it. The Haydonites comment on how they fear that humans are setting themselves up to be the Robotech Masters Part Deux, and what did the Robotech Masters spend all the series doing? Trying to recover one of their bleeping ships that had the magic box on it.

Lt Gargoyle wrote:Until they do something further i have just skipped the whole Haydonite plot arc and run with the PCs in a exploration/colony fleet. And borrow stuff from other sources to act as alien civilizations.

Probably for the best... we don't know enough about the Haydonites' real motivations to actually use them in a meaningful plot.

Since Tommy's so fond of sneaking Macross-isms into Robotech, esp. in the plans that were leaked for the RTSC OVA's unproduced later episodes, a friend and I actually sat down and worked out our own version of where Tommy might've been going with the Haydonites, shadow technology, and the origins of protoculture. We came up with some pretty interesting stuff.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”