Robotech Cannon: TSC vs Sentinels Novels

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Archr
D-Bee

Robotech Cannon: TSC vs Sentinels Novels

Unread post by Archr »

Just got the Marine book and it is fantastic at first glance. Love the art and the new OCCs. However I have an question of what the source material is that is used.

On page 13 of the new Marine Book as the writers describe the Third Robotech War ending, it mentions the attack of the Haydonites but also have Exadore on Haydon IV as the Awareness awakens. I thought That the Awareness awakening and taking over Haydon IV was per the novels which was rendered non-cannon by Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles.

I know a few things are used from there like the Titan but are the novels now considered source material?
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Re: Robotech Cannon: TSC vs Sentinels Novels

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

Archr wrote:On page 13 of the new Marine Book as the writers describe the Third Robotech War ending, it mentions the attack of the Haydonites but also have Exadore on Haydon IV as the Awareness awakens. I thought That the Awareness awakening and taking over Haydon IV was per the novels which was rendered non-cannon by Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles.

I know a few things are used from there like the Titan but are the novels now considered source material?

Considering Harmony Gold's leanings, and their very public condemnation of the novels and many of the old comics as being of such poor quality and inconsistent content as to merit being disowned from the Robotech story entirely, the most likely option is the Sentinels comics. Harmony Gold went to those to bridge the gap into Shadow Chronicles... the first issue of Prelude being largely scene-for-scene retread of the final Sentinels issue.

Still, the Marines book is basically the RPG swinging wildly in the absence of official canon... unless Harmony Gold has changed its views very recently, no version of Sentinels is considered to be accurate.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Archr
D-Bee

Unread post by Archr »

Thanks for the reply. Makes sense but it just threw me with them using the novels like that.
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

Archr wrote:Thanks for the reply. Makes sense but it just threw me with them using the novels like that.

The old Sentinels comics drew on the novels a fair bit once they ran out of material from the Sentinels TV show's planning documents... so there are understandably some areas of overlap.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

given that the described passage does not appear in the RAW version, it seems likely that HG requested the haydonite war elements be added in. it may be that Haydon IV and the like will play into the plans they had for sequels to shadow chronicles.

out of curiosity.. what year does it give for the end of the 3rd war? i want to compare it to the raw's version to see if they fixed those timeline issues, and see if it conforms to the time cues in the Prelude comics.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
silvermoon383
Wanderer

Unread post by silvermoon383 »

How'd you get your book so dang fast? Walk into the PB office and buy one? Or are you one of the lucky few that has a store that carries Palladium?
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

Its also possible that they were using Robotech Art 3 the Sentinels, for reference material as well. I am still waiting on my Marine book to arrive so i have not gotten all the up to date stuff yet.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

silvermoon383 wrote:How'd you get your book so dang fast? Walk into the PB office and buy one? Or are you one of the lucky few that has a store that carries Palladium?

Ah the wonders of shipping. For me typically when I order a book UPS ground which is stated 3-5 day shipping I typically get it 1-2 days from palladium its just a factor of where the UPS hubs are and where you are in relation to them.
Protoculture

Unread post by Protoculture »

Archr wrote:Just got the Marine book and it is fantastic at first glance. Love the art and the new OCCs. However I have an question of what the source material is that is used.

On page 13 of the new Marine Book as the writers describe the Third Robotech War ending, it mentions the attack of the Haydonites but also have Exadore on Haydon IV as the Awareness awakens. I thought That the Awareness awakening and taking over Haydon IV was per the novels which was rendered non-cannon by Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles.

Well, somewhat a continuation from the other thread .... it seems the Marines Sourcebook stated that 2025 AD is the date UEEF discovered Tyrol. As per non-canonical timelines adopted in both Robotech II Sentinel novelizations by McKinney and Robotech II Sentinel comic serials by the Waltrips, 2025 is the date in which SDF-3 found Tyrol (both novels and the comics are using the the 5 fold years delay).

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”