New Marine Book

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Kagashi
Champion

New Marine Book

Unread post by Kagashi »

A bit early to ask, but how does it compare to the RAW version?
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Re: New Marine Book

Unread post by jedi078 »

I pre-ordered so I'm hoping to get it within the week. I'll try to remember to post a short review here.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

I hope there were tweaks. Although Im happy a new book is coming out, the RAW version didnt impress me as much as I had hoped. Especially with the magic spell list.
Updated Aug 2015
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
mech798
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by mech798 »

I'd be intereested to know if we get new art in it. Otherwise, I'm that not likely to buy it, especially given the lack of spaceships.
smkeyes
Wanderer

Unread post by smkeyes »

Got my copy today and it is very good. It more or less covers the liberation of the other worlds. It has a detailed timeline. A lot of new mecha and equipment that makes up the marine portion of the UEEF.
Chronicler
Adventurer
Comment: "... and that is why you should never put a spork in a toaster."
-Over heard conversation in highschool

Unread post by Chronicler »

smkeyes wrote:Got my copy today and it is very good. It more or less covers the liberation of the other worlds. It has a detailed timeline. A lot of new mecha and equipment that makes up the marine portion of the UEEF.

Same mechs as per raw, or did they add a few more? Also did they use any of the file images?
bielmic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bielmic »

smkeyes wrote:Got my copy today and it is very good. It more or less covers the liberation of the other worlds. It has a detailed timeline. A lot of new mecha and equipment that makes up the marine portion of the UEEF.

Could you post which mechs and occ's are there when you get a chance? Not detailed stats or anything but just the names.
Congratulations, Palladium Books. You just threw away a customer of 28 years because of how you handled Robotech Tactics.
smkeyes
Wanderer

Unread post by smkeyes »

Marine infantry occ
Mechanized infantry occ
Fleet corpsman occ
Storm commando occ
Marine technical officer occ

Karbarran combat laborer occ
Perytonian energy wizard occ
Praxian warrior occ
Trillion partisan occ

Garudan rcc
Karbarran bear man rcc
Perytonian rcc
Praxian rcc
Spherian rcc
Triolian rcc
Zentraedi rcc
smkeyes
Wanderer

Unread post by smkeyes »

Rcc in the book are more for the races special abilities and stat generation for the race and they still need to pick an occ for there skills. It also lists the races perfered occ's
bielmic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bielmic »

smkeyes wrote:Rcc in the book are more for the races special abilities and stat generation for the race and they still need to pick an occ for there skills. It also lists the races perfered occ's

Thanks for the update (and clarification). I'm glad to see that they put in a zentraedi RCC in as well; is there any tangible benefit to taking the "preferred" occ or are other ones just not allowed if they're not on the preferred list? Also, any chance you could name the mecha and ships in the book? I know it's a long shot but I've got my fingers crossed that the ZSB made it in.
Congratulations, Palladium Books. You just threw away a customer of 28 years because of how you handled Robotech Tactics.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

smkeyes wrote:Perytonian energy wizard occ

Are the spells just cut and paste basic invocations from PF2 and/or Rifts or are they tailored to Robotech?
Updated Aug 2015
smkeyes
Wanderer

Unread post by smkeyes »

Kagashi wrote:

Are the spells just cut and paste basic invocations from PF2 and/or Rifts or are they tailored to Robotech?

pg46 "The use of Rifts spells is left ENTIRELY to the Game Master's discretion, and he or she has the absolute final word on which spells can be used in the robotech setting."

There is a list of 34 spells for the Perytonian Energy Spells. So it is tailored to Robotech and the Perytonian race.
smkeyes
Wanderer

Unread post by smkeyes »

Mecha & Vechiles

ZBR-10 MK.I Bioroid Interceptor
MBR-12 MK.II Condor
SF/A-5 Conbat

CVR-1 Personal Envieonmental combat Armor

VR-011 Rifleman (cyclone)
VR-015 Spider (cyclone)
VR-017 Crusader (cyclone)

CAB-07 Walker (Battloid)

CVR-2 Personal Space Combat Armor

VR-021 Nova (Space Cyclone)
VR-024 Comet (Space Cyclone)

MBR-05-Mk.X Tomahawk (Destroid)
ADR-05-Mk.XIV Defender (Destroid)
SDR-05-Mk.XV Phalanx (Destroid)
MBR-08-Mk.VI Spartan (Destroid)
HWR-02-Mk.VII Monster (Destroid)
MBR12-Mk.II Valiant (Destroid)
ISB-02-Mk.I Golem (Battloid)

ZBR-01 Mk.II Infantry Battlepod
ZBR-02 Mk.IV Officer's Battlepod

FSB-03-Mk.I Daniel (Light Hover Artillery Platform)
IFHV-03-Mk.II Archon (infantry Transport & Fighting Hover Vehicle)
Titan (G.M.U.)
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Still awaiting. I got a message earlier in the month to confirm the new date of my debit card, so I'm assuming my pre-order from WAAAYYY back is still on record.
So...eagerly waiting(and envious). Will truly believe when book is in my paws.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
smkeyes
Wanderer

Unread post by smkeyes »

taalismn wrote:

Still awaiting. I got a message earlier in the month to confirm the new date of my debit card, so I'm assuming my pre-order from WAAAYYY back is still on record.
So...eagerly waiting(and envious). Will truly believe when book is in my paws.

I want to say they where shipped either Friday 7-24 or Saturday 7-25 due to when mine arrived.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

smkeyes wrote:
Kagashi wrote:

pg46 "The use of Rifts spells is left ENTIRELY to the Game Master's discretion, and he or she has the absolute final word on which spells can be used in the robotech setting."

There is a list of 34 spells for the Perytonian Energy Spells. So it is tailored to Robotech and the Perytonian race.

So disappointing. looks like its the same cut and paste spells from the RAW edition. Should have been focused on technology and space, not negate magic which only works against other Perytonians. Unless you have a game where you are playing within the Perytonian endless battle, youll never use those spells again.
Updated Aug 2015
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Kagashi wrote:
smkeyes wrote:
Kagashi wrote:

So disappointing. looks like its the same cut and paste spells from the RAW edition. Should have been focused on technology and space, not negate magic which only works against other Perytonians. Unless you have a game where you are playing within the Perytonian endless battle, youll never use those spells again.

Why should a culture that is thousands of years old.....be specialized to assist in doing the new modern thing the PCs are off doing and ignore their actual culture.
If they DIDNT have stuff like negate magic I would be horribly disappointed. Just because it doesn't help min-max out the PCs combat power in a game doesn't mean that culturally relevant stuff should be ignored......especially since there IS that whole 'endless battle' thing.....
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

Got mine today!
bielmic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bielmic »

smkeyes wrote:Mecha & Vechiles

MBR-12 MK.II Condor
SF/A-5 Conbat

VR-015 Spider (cyclone)

CAB-07 Walker (Battloid)

Titan (G.M.U.)

Thanks for the list. I'm a bit disappointed that my ZSB favorite didn't make it in but I'm not surprised. Is the reason the first few mecha you listed are in there again? Are they not in the manga size initial release? I know they're in the hardback version which has some new stuff but I'm not sure if those are part of the new stuff. I sold the manga sized books as they were horribly not functional as rpg rulebooks.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Yeah, why reprint stuff? The books are not that big as they are, and we could have gotten the still very missed spaceships. Or the Tiger Destroid (which is CANON in Wildstorm).
Updated Aug 2015
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

smkeyes wrote:MBR-05-Mk.X Tomahawk (Destroid)

:sigh:

I swear to God, what is it with Palladium consistently screwing up the naming conventions of the Robotech mecha? The 1st Edition used the wrong names for The Macross Saga Destroids. Now, the 2nd Edition uses the wrong names for The Sentinels Destroids. For crying out loud, there was NO REASON to use the SDF Macross names for the REF models (especially when you consider the Macross II Destroids use those same designations).
bielmic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bielmic »

Kagashi wrote:Yeah, why reprint stuff? The books are not that big as they are, and we could have gotten the still very missed spaceships. Or the Tiger Destroid (which is CANON in Wildstorm).

While I'm not happy to see a couple of reprinted mecha but I do understand IF they're not in the manga sized version. I'm not sure that is the case which is why I asked since I haven't had mine for a long time.

Rabid Southern Cross Fan wrote:
:sigh:

I swear to God, what is it with Palladium consistently screwing up the naming conventions of the Robotech mecha? The 1st Edition used the wrong names for The Macross Saga Destroids. Now, the 2nd Edition uses the wrong names for The Sentinels Destroids. For crying out loud, there was NO REASON to use the SDF Macross names for the REF models (especially when you consider the Macross II Destroids use those same designations).

I disagree. They made the decision to stick with the Japanese names and they're just being consistent with their successors. The sentinels destroids had the same names as their direct macross predecessors as well. Macross II doesn't exist in the Harmony Gold universe and therefore doesn't exist in Palladium's license.
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

bielmic wrote:
Rabid Southern Cross Fan wrote:I swear to God, what is it with Palladium consistently screwing up the naming conventions of the Robotech mecha? The 1st Edition used the wrong names for The Macross Saga Destroids. Now, the 2nd Edition uses the wrong names for The Sentinels Destroids. For crying out loud, there was NO REASON to use the SDF Macross names for the REF models (especially when you consider the Macross II Destroids use those same designations).

I disagree. They made the decision to stick with the Japanese names and they're just being consistent with their successors. The sentinels destroids had the same names as their direct macross predecessors as well. Macross II doesn't exist in the Harmony Gold universe and therefore doesn't exist in Palladium's license.

Not sure what the problem is, myself... the Macross II RPG used completely made-up designations for the destroids due to them not having any in the source material (AAV-something) and their names are different too. They were the Tomahawk II, Defender EX, Phalanx Custom, and Giant Monster... which is certainly sufficiently different from the "increment the series number" approach in the Marines book.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

bielmic wrote:The sentinels destroids had the same names as their direct macross predecessors as well.

Oh really? That's funny because in no officially published literature (Robotech Art 3, Robotech Script Book 1&2, Robotech DVD Extras) do they EVER show The Sentinels Destroids using the same names as those of SDF Macross (excepting for the Spartan, which is also called the Shark, being the REF variant of the Phalanx). If you happen to have proof otherwise.....

And just so anyone actually thinks I'm being an idiot, from The Sentinels Script Book 2
Last edited by Rabid Southern Cross Fan on Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bielmic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bielmic »

bielmic wrote:The sentinels destroids had the same names as their direct macross predecessors as well.

Oh really? That's funny because in no officially published literature (Robotech Art 3, Robotech Script Book 1&2, Robotech DVD Extras) do they EVER show The Sentinels Destroids using the same names as those of SDF Macross (excepting for the Spartan, which is also called the Shark, being the REF variant of the Phalanx). If you happen to have proof otherwise.....

Take a look in your Sentinels RPG book. Perhaps I wasn't exactly clear but that is what I was referring to. In the 1st ed RPG, the Sentinels mecha had the same names as the Macross RPG ones. They've now changed the Macross RPG destroid names to match the Japanese ones and the "Marines" defacto sentinels versions yet again have the same names as their predecessors. It really is the simplest solution to naming them.
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

bielmic wrote:Take a look in your Sentinels RPG book. Perhaps I wasn't exactly clear but that is what I was referring to. In the 1st ed RPG, the Sentinels mecha had the same names as the Macross RPG ones. They've now changed the Macross RPG destroid names to match the Japanese ones and the "Marines" defacto sentinels versions yet again have the same names as their predecessors. Got it?

Uh, no they didn't. They had what are generally referred to as the "Matchbox" names. The 1st Edition RPG had the Class of Vehicle as SDF Macross name, not the actual vehicle itself. Besides, its irrelevant. The Sentinels names for the various Destroids were different than those used in The Macross Saga (which followed those of SDF Macross and did NOT use the Matchbox names). Again, there was simply no reason for these mecha to use the SDF Macross designations. All it does is muddle things and confuse the issue.
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Never mind. I just got a look at the new "Defender" and its a fragging atrocity. It looks like some idiot cobbled together the Raider with an Alpha. It totally deserves to be called a Defender now. I take back everything I said..... :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :frust: :frust: :frust: :frust: :frust: :frust: :frust: :frust: :frust: :frust: :frust: :frust: :frust: :frust: :frust:

Warning: Criticism is just fine, but this sort of bashing is regarded as trolling.
bielmic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bielmic »

Rabid Southern Cross Fan wrote:Never mind. I just got a look at the new "Defender" and its a fragging atrocity. It looks like some idiot cobbled together the Raider with an Alpha. It totally deserves to be called a Defender now. I take back everything I said..... :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :frust: :frust: :frust: :frust: :frust: :frust: :frust: :frust: :frust: :frust: :frust: :frust: :frust: :frust: :frust:

So for the stuff that had art in the IMAI files (like the space cyclones), did they just use the existing art, make their own based on the IMAI stuff, or come up with completely different looks?
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

I'll check The Strat on my next trip into NYC.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

bielmic wrote:So for the stuff that had art in the IMAI files (like the space cyclones), did they just use the existing art, make their own based on the IMAI stuff, or come up with completely different looks?

They used the IMAI files, but rendered new versions. Its not a trace of the designs, but you can clearly see where they got the idea for the various new "Destroids". The new Monster is clearly based on the MOSPEADA preproduction TLEAD, for example.
bielmic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bielmic »

bielmic wrote:So for the stuff that had art in the IMAI files (like the space cyclones), did they just use the existing art, make their own based on the IMAI stuff, or come up with completely different looks?

They used the IMAI files, but rendered new versions. Its not a trace of the designs, but you can clearly see where they got the idea for the various new "Destroids". The new Monster is clearly based on the MOSPEADA preproduction TLEAD, for example.

Ah, thanks. I know what to expect (unfortunately) from Palladium ruleswise but the art is more commonly a wildcard that is sometimes really good (Robotech Tactics and Macross RPG) and sometimes really bad (Genesis Pits and New Gen). The Robotech Tactics kickstarter has taught me not to give palladium money sight unseen upfront for products so I'll have to wait to see if anyone does a review with pics sometime in the future since no stores by me stock palladium RPG books by their own volition.
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

smkeyes wrote:Marine infantry occ
Mechanized infantry occ
Fleet corpsman occ
Storm commando occ

I might be wrong... but doesn't Lucas/Disney own the name Storm Commando? You know the ones from the old WEG Star Wars RPG and subsequent RPG's?
Protoculture

Unread post by Protoculture »

OK, bear with me .. as I've no chance in hell getting the the Marines Book any time soon (I'm in Asia).

MBR-12 MK.II Condor
SF/A-5 Conbat

Ok, these are reprints of the existing designs from the RT RPG 2nd ED.

Does this armor taken from the Imai files? Is it compatible with Cyclone series?

VR-015 Spider (cyclone)

VR-010 series Cyclone, right? Are they from the Imai Files?

CAB-07 Walker (Battloid)

Could this be that space power armor from the Imai Files?

Ok, this could be from the Imai Files. Should corresponds with various CVR armors from Imai Files.

Again, are these from the Imai Files, or completely a redesign?

Aahhhh, the return of the ole, Sentinels Destroids, right?

Again, sounds like those from the Imai Files mecha designs.

The return of Z-series Sentinels Battlepods, right?

OOOkayyy, this could be a new design altogether from the feel of it.

Titan (G.M.U.)

The ole GMU. Another comeback of the Sentinels classic design, yes?
Protoculture

While we are at it, how about giving us a general guideline on the UEEF Marines timeline as appeared in the sourcebook, important events like:

1) When did UEEF finally stumbled onto Tyrol?

2) Who did UEEF fought during the years it spend while searching for Tyrol?

3) The exact date of the actual Sentinel campaign, from liberation of Tyrol to the final showdown on Optera against both TR Edwards / Regent (as per PTTSC)?
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Protoculture wrote:While we are at it, how about giving us a general guideline on the UEEF Marines timeline as appeared in the sourcebook, important events like:

3) The exact date of the actual Sentinel campaign, from liberation of Tyrol to the final showdown on Optera against both TR Edwards / Regent (as per PTTSC)?

yes. it would be nice to know if it matches the official HG timeline material. especially since the RAW version had some issues with that.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
mech798
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by mech798 »

Tiree wrote:
Mechanized infantry occ
Fleet corpsman occ
Storm commando occ

I might be wrong... but doesn't Lucas/Disney own the name Storm Commando? You know the ones from the old WEG Star Wars RPG and subsequent RPG's?

Not really, without getting into too much, Storm Commando is a really generic name that would be hard to cover with copyright or trademark.
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

i do not believe you can copy write names. Mattel lost with Barbie girl from aqua lawsuit. So i think PB is fine.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/ ... rl-lawsuit
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

bielmic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bielmic »

It looks like some preview art pics have hit the internet overnight. Is that light pencil sketch style Chuck Walton's signature look? I like the designs but they frankly don't feel very robotech nor finished. The rushed light pencil sketch doesn't really jive with the previous polished and shaded robotech art in other books and feels rushed comparitively (which given the production history of this book wouldn't be surprising). Also, the destroids I've seen posted feel more gundam/armored core appropriate than Robotech. There are some (occasionally overused) Robotech features like the heads (all destroids have tiny heads now?) and shoulders from the alpha (along with some older veritech forearms and elbows occasionally) but the rest is more "other" anime to me personally. I'll have to reserve my final judgement for when/if I see the zentraedi pods and cyclones but so far I have mixed feelings about what I've seen.

Don't get me wrong, I like the overall base concept of the mechs in the art.. but it feels half done and if it were ever finished more in character with and appropriate for a Rifts title like a NG or NGR book than Robotech. The art in the first few robotech RPG books actually suprised and impressed me in its quality (especially the macross book) but Genesis Pits was a big let down and now the next follow up feels a bit off sadly compared to those as well. In the end, it's just an opinion (and one not yet cemented in stone since I haven't seen the other art).

Also, the new MAC Monster version looks like it was ironically straight up inspired by the new Tau Titan for Warhammer 40k which was in turn inspired by the original macross MAC Monster. It would make for one heck of a support unit to back up some crisis suits or NGR Jaegers!

http://www.kamui.co.uk/wp-content/uploa ... wr0tqg.jpg
tobefrnk
Adventurer

Unread post by tobefrnk »

Yes Bielmic, I like aspects of this book too, but I also have issues with the new Destroid art. They seem more like Frankemecha to me. I'm sticking with the original REF designs (I like those...but I'm also nostalgia biased). The new battle pods also have Alpha Fighter design references. I think I like the Infantry Pod (it's growing on me) but the Officers pod is a bit much for my tastes. I do wish they had updated the look of the GMU to be more in line with its capabilities. Still, the book will be useful as sourcebook for me. No huge regrets.
bielmic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bielmic »

tobefrnk wrote:Yes Bielmic, I like aspects of this book too, but I also have issues with the new Destroid art. They seem more like Frankemecha to me. I'm sticking with the original REF designs (I like those...but I'm also nostalgia biased). The new battle pods also have Alpha Fighter design references. I think I like the Infantry Pod (it's growing on me) but the Officers pod is a bit much for my tastes. I do wish they had updated the look of the GMU to be more in line with its capabilities. Still, the book will be useful as sourcebook for me. No huge regrets.

They changed the look of the zentraedi pods to be more alpha-ish? That does have me worried a bit more then. Ironically, the one mech that already had alpha inspired design features (the zentraedi striker battloid) didn't make it in. Are the space cyclones significantly changed from their IMAI roots with added alpha features?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Has the Marines ended up 2nd ed version of 1st ed's Sentinels book?
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Has the Marines ended up 2nd ed version of 1st ed's Sentinels book?

Not really....
Chronicler
Adventurer
Comment: "... and that is why you should never put a spork in a toaster."
-Over heard conversation in highschool

Unread post by Chronicler »

bielmic wrote:It looks like some preview art pics have hit the internet overnight. Is that light pencil sketch style Chuck Walton's signature look? I like the designs but they frankly don't feel very robotech nor finished. The rushed light pencil sketch doesn't really jive with the previous polished and shaded robotech art in other books and feels rushed comparitively (which given the production history of this book wouldn't be surprising). Also, the destroids I've seen posted feel more gundam/armored core appropriate than Robotech. There are some (occasionally overused) Robotech features like the heads (all destroids have tiny heads now?) and shoulders from the alpha (along with some older veritech forearms and elbows occasionally) but the rest is more "other" anime to me personally. I'll have to reserve my final judgement for when/if I see the zentraedi pods and cyclones but so far I have mixed feelings about what I've seen.

Don't get me wrong, I like the overall base concept of the mechs in the art.. but it feels half done and if it were ever finished more in character with and appropriate for a Rifts title like a NG or NGR book than Robotech. The art in the first few robotech RPG books actually suprised and impressed me in its quality (especially the macross book) but Genesis Pits was a big let down and now the next follow up feels a bit off sadly compared to those as well. In the end, it's just an opinion (and one not yet cemented in stone since I haven't seen the other art).

Also, the new MAC Monster version looks like it was ironically straight up inspired by the new Tau Titan for Warhammer 40k which was in turn inspired by the original macross MAC Monster. It would make for one heck of a support unit to back up some crisis suits or NGR Jaegers!

http://www.kamui.co.uk/wp-content/uploa ... wr0tqg.jpg

Meh, would have been better if they re-designated them as Battloids. I would understand them using the alpha as a template so that parts can be switched out or easily manufactured parts across the board (cause really they are far from home so to me that's what I would do).

As for Chucks work his has always been sort of a sketch look to his art.
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

The new "Destroids" only make sense if they're chopped up Improvised Mecha Units that The Resistance cobbled together on Invid Occupied Earth. They're completely and totally wrong for mecha that actually rolled off an assembly line at Space Station Liberty or any other Factory Satellite. Yes, the original Battloids from The Sentinels needed some polishing, but this was literally peeing in the tub and then throwing the baby out with the bathwater....
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

mech798 wrote:
Tiree wrote:
Mechanized infantry occ
Fleet corpsman occ
Storm commando occ

Not really, without getting into too much, Storm Commando is a really generic name that would be hard to cover with copyright or trademark.

I disagree - apparently PB decided not to use a name of a Mech for Northern Gun that they had initially planned on from a Preview. They were too concerned of the name being too close to another Mech based game that had lost a law suit to Harmony Gold a few years back.
smkeyes
Wanderer

Unread post by smkeyes »

Protoculture wrote:OK, bear with me .. as I've no chance in hell getting the the Marines Book any time soon (I'm in Asia).

MBR-12 MK.II Condor
SF/A-5 Conbat

Ok, these are reprints of the existing designs from the RT RPG 2nd ED.

Does this armor taken from the Imai files? Is it compatible with Cyclone series?

VR-015 Spider (cyclone)

VR-010 series Cyclone, right? Are they from the Imai Files?

CAB-07 Walker (Battloid)

Could this be that space power armor from the Imai Files?

Ok, this could be from the Imai Files. Should corresponds with various CVR armors from Imai Files.

Again, are these from the Imai Files, or completely a redesign?

Aahhhh, the return of the ole, Sentinels Destroids, right?

Again, sounds like those from the Imai Files mecha designs.

The return of Z-series Sentinels Battlepods, right?

OOOkayyy, this could be a new design altogether from the feel of it.

Titan (G.M.U.)

The ole GMU. Another comeback of the Sentinels classic design, yes?

the CVR-1 and the CVR-2 body armors is also the body armor that needs to be worn with either the VR-010 or the VR-020 series of cyclones.
smkeyes
Wanderer

Unread post by smkeyes »

Protoculture wrote:While we are at it, how about giving us a general guideline on the UEEF Marines timeline as appeared in the sourcebook, important events like:

1) UEEF fleet arrived at Tyrol in 2025

2) Nobody
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

per the fluff for the bioroid interceptor in the main book, they did fight. enough that the zentreadi were getting dreadfully short of battlepods by the time they reached tyrol.

presumably the enemies they fought were remnants of the zentreadi grand fleet, and surviving master's border forces.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Protoculture

smkeyes wrote:

1) UEEF fleet arrived at Tyrol in 2025

2) Nobody

Huh? Waitaminute? 2025AD? Am I going bonkers or what? McKinniyists gonna have a field day over this ... 2025 is actually the accepted date for both non-canonical timelines adopted in Jack McKinney's Robotech novelizations and the Waltrips' brothers Robotech Sentinels comic serializations in which SDF-3 discovered and stranded on Tyrol.

With this new development in RT continuity, the uRRG pet theory of the delayed Sentinels timeline of 2030 - 2044 being thrown outta windows.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

tobefrnk wrote:Yes Bielmic, I like aspects of this book too, but I also have issues with the new Destroid art. They seem more like Frankemecha to me. I'm sticking with the original REF designs (I like those...but I'm also nostalgia biased). The new battle pods also have Alpha Fighter design references. I think I like the Infantry Pod (it's growing on me) but the Officers pod is a bit much for my tastes. I do wish they had updated the look of the GMU to be more in line with its capabilities. Still, the book will be useful as sourcebook for me. No huge regrets.

Agreed...Some nitpicks on the re-envisioned destroids; the Spartan's laser turret looks tacked on, the Defender's chest...is that a sensor or a rocket grappling hook sticking out of the right pectoral?...The MAC's chest doesn't look nearly big enough to hide the drum bombs supposedly tucked away in there, and those cannons on the back look like they'd blow free from recoil... The Karbarrean body armor page arrangement looks off(they could have padded out the blank space with extra fluff or squeezed in a Karbarrean sidearm.

But I like the design text, especially for the Zentraedi pods(better than the old 'they were underpowered because humans didn't trust the Zentraedi'), with their appearance rubbing allies and enemies in the wrong ways....

I'm liking most of what I'm seeing.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”